Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2012 02:17:06(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello Marklin friends,

Today I was filming some videos and trying to cover each year of Marklin production from the 00 scale 1935 to roughly 1955. This was quite a challenge, of course, because the requirement was that all the locos had to be running! I got pretty close to my goal but at the end something fascinating happened. I came to the end of my video and finished with a CCS 800 from around 1955 and then I thought -- I wonder if I have anything newer than 1955? So I looked deep in my collection and pulled out a 3031 tank locomotive in the original blue / white box with the "Gepruft" tag still on it. I knew it had to run since it was so "new" so I put it on the track and to my surprise the couplers started moving!!

Here is a video of my discovery:

Maybe I should be buying locos from the 1960s and 1970s !?! The loco ran perfectly!

So are these couplers still used today? They must have some kind of magnetic tabs on the coupler that makes them unhook when the reversing button is pressed. I'm sure now with digital this could be achieved rather easily.

Best,

Paul

Edited by moderator 13 May 2012 21:51:17(UTC)  | Reason: YT link edited to show directly in forum

Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2012 02:53:32(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Marklin friends,

So are these couplers still used today? They must have some kind of magnetic tabs on the coupler that makes them unhook when the reversing button is pressed. I'm sure now with digital this could be achieved rather easily.

Best,

Paul

Yes they are. There is a cheap steam locomotive 3096 (I think) from a freight starter set that has pretty much exactly the same coupler. There are more expensive models that have a much more compact system altough it seems to break easily if not handled with care. Regarding the magnet if you tipyour loco upside down you should be able to see a coil about 1cm in diameter and a few milimiters high. That actuates the chrome part of the coupler. From the same era the 3065, 3047, 3027, 3026 had telex too.

Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2012 02:59:34(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Nice find!! i have 2 3032 from the sixties with telex, they worked with a reversing relay with four positions, very clever, if you look beneath the loco you will see two coils that are powered in two positions of the reversing units making the magnet to lift the tab. One is converted with a Delta unit with functions and it runs very well. The other one wich is in new condition also received a five pole engine, but now im waiting for a decoder a two relays to power the magnets with independent funcions, so you can use the front or rear one and not both of them at the same time.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2012 05:31:37(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have a 3031 with blue box ,the box says 03-1961,working perfect runs like a dream.I am very huppy to have her.
#5 Posted : 13 May 2012 05:43:31(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thanks for the info... It is great to see how Marklin technology has progressed over the years

Paul
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2012 06:30:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hello Marklin friends,

Today I was filming some videos and trying to cover each year of Marklin production from the 00 scale 1935 to roughly 1955. This was quite a challenge, of course, because the requirement was that all the locos had to be running! I got pretty close to my goal but at the end something fascinating happened. I came to the end of my video and finished with a CCS 800 from around 1955 and then I thought -- I wonder if I have anything newer than 1955? So I looked deep in my collection and pulled out a 3031 tank locomotive in the original blue / white box with the "Gepruft" tag still on it. I knew it had to run since it was so "new" so I put it on the track and to my surprise the couplers started moving!!

Maybe I should be buying locos from the 1960s and 1970s !?! The loco ran perfectly!

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I had to laugh when I read your post - here we have your wealth of knowledge, expertise etc and you've managed to get this far without (until now) discovering the joys of the Märklin "Telex" option, laughing 'with' you however, not 'at' you.

It's obvious that somehow this little gem has escaped your attention over the years and I guess if you were not specifically told about it then it could be overlooked but it is quite well documented in the many catalogues over the years.

First appearance was in the 1958 catalogue on the 3026 & 3027 Loco's, but without any real 'fanfare' other than commenting on the "New Telex Coupler" in the catalogue introduction and the loco descriptions. No comment on how it worked, no diagram, no nothing which I find a little surprising for such a novel feature.

It's a favourite function of mine, for me the ultimate would be a Sinus-drive Telex shunting loco - ultra-precise smoothing running, perfect for Computer control.

Glad to have shared in your new-found enjoyment.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
#7 Posted : 13 May 2012 06:43:08(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Hi Paul,

I had to laugh when I read your post - here we have your wealth of knowledge, expertise etc and you've managed to get this far without (until now) discovering the joys of the Märklin "Telex" option, laughing 'with' you however, not 'at' you.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

I was thinking the same thing....of course I've heard of Telex over the years but only from reading catalogs and websites. Seeing it in action was a whole new thing! I'll have to pay more attention to the items in my collection that are outside of my main collecting focus...they can be really fun.

Paul

Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2012 08:41:30(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Nice video Mr Paul!
Seeing the incredible amount of treasures on that table makes me dizzy!
And so does the way you run this little gem and the expensive die cast freight car.
Woohoo! Bang Bang!Scared Laugh
The little 3031 is *the best* switcher ever made by Märklin, in my (not so) humble opinion.
Yes the Telex is a major contributor to that distinction, but the incredible tractive power is even more important: over 40 freight cars accross a complex array of switches, and up the classification yard hump.
No sweat!
Mine are still the backbone for switching operations on any layout I have had since 1958....
Today they have 5 pole motors and 21st century decoders...still the best!
There ain't no substitute!RollEyes
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline NZMarklinist  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2012 09:31:25(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Just lovely Paul, and I want a Steam switcher with Telex for my layout too, so I'll be on the lookout for for one of those, unless you want to sell yours Wink

Please give her a complete lube before running again tho Scared Wink Smile

As Jaques mentioned I would digitise it as well, with one of the latest Lokpilot/sound, maybe, decoders too ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Johnvr  
#10 Posted : 13 May 2012 09:33:37(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Paul,

Thanks for the video !
Great collection of old time items you have there.

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline Ian555  
#11 Posted : 13 May 2012 09:49:40(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the video, great collection of Märklin you have there. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 13 May 2012 10:18:20(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice, Don't run it much Paul.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 13 May 2012 11:55:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Very nice, Don't run it much Paul.Smile

Why not? Confused RollEyes
They are indestructible!!
My oldest one has over 50 years of service, and not always "light duty"!BigGrin ThumpUp
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline petestra  
#14 Posted : 13 May 2012 12:26:47(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi, I've had my 3031 since 1966 and it still runs like new. Recently I've started using it for
short train main line runs instead of just using it in the yards. PeterSmile
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 13 May 2012 12:53:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have one from a starter set, about ten years old. It's got no Telex, but I agree with others about the strength of this little loco! Mine came with a Delta decoder.

RayF attached the following image(s):
Class 81 shunting.JPG
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
#16 Posted : 13 May 2012 18:15:09(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thanks so much for all of your comments! It really is a great loco and I'll have to oil it if I run it some more.

Thanks,

Paul

PS. Was it common for the instruction sheets to be stored under the Styrofoam insert? I was wondering why my lok didn't have an instruction sheet and I had this strange feeling it was hidden under there and sure enough it was! I believe I have found some in the past in there so perhaps owners of the blue/white 1960s boxes should check there too !
Offline LMS800  
#17 Posted : 13 May 2012 19:28:13(UTC)
LMS800

Germany   
Thanks so much for all of your comments! ........
PS. Was it common for the instruction sheets to be stored under the Styrofoam insert? ....

Hello Paul, to my knowledge - YES - it was common!
Regards
Wolf

Offline walters48  
#18 Posted : 13 May 2012 22:26:09(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Hello Marklin friends,

Best,

Paul

Hello Paul,
Your video made my day! I also have a like new 3031 which I thought I broke after working on the reversing mechanism. There is a very fragile looking and very thin metal electrical contact selector atop the reversing mechanism which I had to very carefully bend to cure a problem of my 3031's running only in a forward direction-no reverse from transformer jolt or working that little lever on the right side if the boiler.
Anyway, after the blind luck bending of the metal strip, I got reverse back while keeping forward and that electro-magnetic decouple feature. But I noticed that both front and rear lights stayed on regardless of what direction the loco was going. It ran great like yours but all the lights were always on, and I thought they were supposed to switch over when the loco changed direction and only light in the direction the loco was going.
Best Regards,
Chas
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 13 May 2012 23:06:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: walters48 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Marklin friends,

Best,

Paul

Hello Paul,
Your video made my day! I also have a like new 3031 which I thought I broke after working on the reversing mechanism. There is a very fragile looking and very thin metal electrical contact selector atop the reversing mechanism which I had to very carefully bend to cure a problem of my 3031's running only in a forward direction-no reverse from transformer jolt or working that little lever on the right side if the boiler.
Anyway, after the blind luck bending of the metal strip, I got reverse back while keeping forward and that electro-magnetic decouple feature. But I noticed that both front and rear lights stayed on regardless of what direction the loco was going. It ran great like yours but all the lights were always on, and I thought they were supposed to switch over when the loco changed direction and only light in the direction the loco was going.
Best Regards,
Chas

No, most analogue Marklin locos have all the lights on, irrespective of direction of travel. Later models with electronic reversing have directional lighting.

The only exception I know of is the 3001 E63 electric, which has directional lighting even though it only has an electro-mechanical relay.
Ray
Offline hennabm  
#20 Posted : 13 May 2012 23:43:26(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Ray

my 3011 E44 from 1957 has directional lighting.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 14 May 2012 11:57:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ray

my 3011 E44 from 1957 has directional lighting.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I guess they must have moved away from this in the sixties, then.
Ray
Offline Ian555  
#22 Posted : 14 May 2012 12:36:59(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Thanks so much for all of your comments! It really is a great loco and I'll have to oil it if I run it some more.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Just ran my 1960 3031, and she sounds just like your one, some oil required. Smile

Ian.

Offline BrandonVA  
#23 Posted : 14 May 2012 16:04:13(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Paul,

In regard to Telex, let me promote a former post as I think it may help:

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...spx?g=posts&m=325407 <-List of all analog/analog compatible Telex locos and some details.

It may be worth noting that locos with telex should not be driven for long times with the telex "tongue" up, as it will mess up the magnetism and prevent the telex from working properly. Basically, if it's in an uncoupling state, don't drive it in circles around the layout :) Telex will work withe standard Marklin couplers as well as the newer "close" style, but it doesn't seem to work as well with the close ones IMO.

I also have a 3065 made in 1967 (Telex V60) that runs perfectly. 3096 (BR86) is another nice model, I have one from the early 90s. It seems like all these old telex "gems" are solid and reliable. The only real shame is that Marklin made so few (9 analog, 2 delta), and of those they made many are newer issues of the same locomotive (such as BR81, V60).

-Brandon

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
#24 Posted : 19 May 2012 19:14:25(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thanks everyone for the comments. I had a lot of fun playing with the loco and learning more about Marklin TELEX and locos from the 1960s.

I decided to offer the loco for sale if anyone is interested (see the For Sale section of the forum)

Thanks,

Paul