Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Darren W  
#1 Posted : 06 May 2012 03:04:58(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Hello all,
I have seen the new battery operated trains in the My World collection and I quite like them I think they are a great idea. I plan to get some for my kids in the near future. While the ICE trains and such are nice I think it would be great if Marklin came out with a Thomas the Tank Engine series. It would really draw kids in and it seems like a great fit to me. Has anyone heard of such rumours or ideas? What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Darren
Offline Ian555  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2012 08:36:29(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Darren,

I like them as well.Smile

Ian.

Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2012 09:57:22(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Darren W Go to Quoted Post
While the ICE trains and such are nice I think it would be great if Marklin came out with a Thomas the Tank Engine series.
They'd need a licence. The licence fees could make the train more expensive. Maybe even too expensive in the end.
In the past those licences were limited to certain regions, so these items would not be available worldwide (you can always order them directly from German dealers, but they would not make it to department stores in other countries).

IIRC Märklin had these problems with the Looney Tunes stuff, the Harry Potter stuff, and the Thomas the Grinning Engine stuff.

I like your idea - but I'm afraid it will not work. Taking the ICE mould and painting it in various international liveries (or look-alike liveries without logos) is the easy way for Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2012 10:21:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Darren W Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,
I have seen the new battery operated trains in the My World collection and I quite like them I think they are a great idea. I plan to get some for my kids in the near future. While the ICE trains and such are nice I think it would be great if Marklin came out with a Thomas the Tank Engine series. It would really draw kids in and it seems like a great fit to me. Has anyone heard of such rumours or ideas? What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Darren

Hi Darren,

They've done Thomas, Percy, Annie and Clarabel, etc before, so it shouldn't be too hard. As Tom mentioned, Marklin would need to pay a licence to the rights holders.

Thomas and his friends are very popular with the kids. I think they need to come back to Marklin's range.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Darren W  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2012 19:10:28(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I see a seller on ebay from the Netherlands that has Thomas trains for Marklin. Does Marklin actually make these trains or are they just putting their name on the box? I guess that's an example of regional licensing I believe here in North America one of the big toy companies like Hasbro or Mattel just bought up the rights to Thomas the Tank Engine. I know there is a lot of Thomas stuff already on the market but I think it would really draw i the young crowd using a face they recognize.

Darren
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 06 May 2012 19:43:02(UTC)
H0

Ray already said that Märklin did make these trains ("Available only in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.").
See here:
http://archiv.maerklin.d...=&wishednumber=36119
http://archiv.maerklin.d...=&wishednumber=36119

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline witzlerh  
#7 Posted : 07 May 2012 18:25:58(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
In Alberta, for the last 3 years of train shows, we were lucky to sell 1-3 start Märklin start sets per show. A month ago in the Calgary train show, we sold 6 My World battery sets. It has made a difference.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Ian555  
#8 Posted : 07 May 2012 19:17:58(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

What's not to like about them....Set 29200 on the layout.

Ian.

Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 07 May 2012 19:55:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
A month ago in the Calgary train show, we sold 6 My World battery sets. It has made a difference.
Did you know the recommended age for the ICE is 3+.
Except for USA where it's 8+. I don't know why.

German text in the manual says 3, French text in the manual says 3, English text in the manual says 8.

Quote:
CAUTION - ELECTRIC TOY
N0T RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 8 YEARS OF
AGE. AS WITH ALL ELECTRIC PRODUCTS; PRECAUTIONS
SHOULD BE OBSERVED DURING HANDLING AND USE TO
PREVENT ELECTRIC SHOCK. (U.S. only, nur für USA, US seulement; Alleen in de VS)

Does make a difference if you sell in Canada. Wink
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline witzlerh  
#10 Posted : 07 May 2012 20:48:22(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
As a Canadian, I did not know that it was only rated for 8+ rather than the European 3+.
Canadian safety standards are similar to the U.S.A. but not the same.

I think that there may be an issue with the power of the trains (they are powerful and tough to stall) and that there may be the slight possiblity that a hoddie string may get caught. (Very Very slight)

However, it is now common knowledge in Canada (I do not know that there is a rule or not) not to allow young kids to have hoodies with strings. A kid did get a string caught on a slide and choked.

As one watching a bunch of kids playing with the MyWorld start sets at the Calgary Supertrain show, I am leaning to 5+ for an average.
Since it is not that easy to see the wheels, it is hard for a 3 year old to re-rail the train. They can do it with some parental guidance at first and more likely master the skill after some practice.

Nevertheless; when given the choice of 3 trains to run (MyWorld ICE, 146.1 Regional express double decker passenger train, or a freight train with BR 86), 1/2 choose the ICE to play with.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Harvey  
#11 Posted : 08 May 2012 03:34:48(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Jeff Stimson (Marklin USA) visited my local hobby store last month to show the new products, including My World. The audience were all members of a certain age bracket. Even so, there was much enjoyment and fascination with this model. I have to believe some will buy for grand children or themselves. Personally, I am looking forward to grandchildren or grand nieces or nephews.

Harvey
Offline rrf  
#12 Posted : 12 May 2012 14:51:29(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

While at Disney's Epcot park a few weeks ago with the grandkids and the twins who were celbrating their second birthday, we ran across Märklin's My World! One of the shops in the Germany section had a very large display, including a running train. While not complete, the selcetion was better than I would have expected. The kids loved it and all wanted something. It was late so we couldn't stay long. Needless to say getting the kids out of their was difficult! I wanted to return to the park and take some photos to post, as well as purchase a few freight cars but sadly we never made it back.

The grandkids will be old enough this Christmas (4 1/2 & 5) for their first Marklin sets. The twins on the other hand will still be a little young. It's going to be exremely difficult not ordering four sets from the My World collectionWink
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn