Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ironwolf  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2012 04:26:30(UTC)
ironwolf

Hi I'm new to Marklin and its z scale, a relative of mine gave a lot of marklin z tracks, transformers, lights and other stuff (this are all in perfect condition and work as they should but are really old), trying to use all these items I recently bought a new and pretested ice3 train (model 88714), I've been trying to make it work since it arrived with no success.

Here´s what I've done:

a) I've oiled the train
b) set a layout
c) I've tested the complete set not just the loco as the seller told me that this particular model needs to be set up complete as the loco wouldn't work by itself
d) I've checked the switch or schalter in order for the electricity to flow directly to the wheels and not to the upper connectors.

Results:

a) the complete set lights up (all leds are working)but theres obviously a problem as the only front and rear lights that light up are the red ones (and as far as I know the front and rear lights (white and red) would alternate depending on the direction the train is going)
b) the train is not moving at all (nothing is happening with its motor)

Can some one help me and give me suggestions about this (I just don't know if I should by a new transformer - but I've tested the ones I have with other trains and they work, buy a new motor, etc...)

Thanks in advance

(I hope I'm making myself clear as english is not my native tongue and I have a lack of knowledge on this specific matter)

Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2012 04:43:42(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Ironwolf and welcome to this forum. I don't have an ICE3, but I do have two ICE1 sets, and the operating principals are much the same. Check that the couplers between the parts of the train are not damaged, as they must conduct power from one end of the train to the other to make it work correctly. Unfortunately they are fragile and finnicky, and liable to get broken or damaged. Why did Marklin adopt such a design?!

You could start by running the two power cars by themselves - if they don't work you've got a problem and I'm not sure what your next move should be. Please note that a power car by itself will only run in one direction.

If they do, couple them back to back and run them in both directions. If they work, add the intermediate cars until you get to the point where the train no longer runs. Then examine the last coupler that you installed.

You can buy replacements, but those couplings are expensive.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ozzman
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2012 07:50:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
welcome to the forum
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline ironwolf  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2012 14:28:20(UTC)
ironwolf

Originally Posted by: ozzman Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ironwolf and welcome to this forum. I don't have an ICE3, but I do have two ICE1 sets, and the operating principals are much the same. Check that the couplers between the parts of the train are not damaged, as they must conduct power from one end of the train to the other to make it work correctly. Unfortunately they are fragile and finnicky, and liable to get broken or damaged. Why did Marklin adopt such a design?!

You could start by running the two power cars by themselves - if they don't work you've got a problem and I'm not sure what your next move should be. Please note that a power car by itself will only run in one direction.

If they do, couple them back to back and run them in both directions. If they work, add the intermediate cars until you get to the point where the train no longer runs. Then examine the last coupler that you installed.

You can buy replacements, but those couplings are expensive.

Thanks for your prompt response Gary, this model if I understand has just one power car which goes in the middle, from there it distributes energy to the rest of the train... When you put all the set together all the train light up so I assume that the couplers are working as all the train is energized... The only thing is that the power car or the car that has the motor an goes in the middle just does nothing at all...

Even though Ill check again the couplers.

Hava a nice day

Alberto
Offline ozzman  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2012 03:13:30(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Alberto. Didn't see your reply until just now, and I didn't even think that the ICE3 model would be different to the ICE1. I guess it mimicks the real ICE3. Have you managed to get it going?

I should add here that I've been thinking about getting one of those for a while, but now maybe I won't....
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline frankb  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2013 16:56:09(UTC)
frankb

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ironwolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi I'm new to Marklin and its z scale, a relative of mine gave a lot of marklin z tracks, transformers, lights and other stuff (this are all in perfect condition and work as they should but are really old), trying to use all these items I recently bought a new and pretested ice3 train (model 88714), I've been trying to make it work since it arrived with no success.

Here´s what I've done:

a) I've oiled the train
b) set a layout
c) I've tested the complete set not just the loco as the seller told me that this particular model needs to be set up complete as the loco wouldn't work by itself
d) I've checked the switch or schalter in order for the electricity to flow directly to the wheels and not to the upper connectors.

Results:

a) the complete set lights up (all leds are working)but theres obviously a problem as the only front and rear lights that light up are the red ones (and as far as I know the front and rear lights (white and red) would alternate depending on the direction the train is going)
b) the train is not moving at all (nothing is happening with its motor)

Can some one help me and give me suggestions about this (I just don't know if I should by a new transformer - but I've tested the ones I have with other trains and they work, buy a new motor, etc...)

Thanks in advance

(I hope I'm making myself clear as english is not my native tongue and I have a lack of knowledge on this specific matter)

hello ironwolf
have you checked that the screw slot on top of motor carriage is facing the U for track running or O for
overhead running.
if thats alright, take off the body and look at the PC board on top. check that the two little hair like wires
are touching the supressor on the motor.
if you need to make any adjustments to these wires i advise removing the board to do it.
remove the two screws prise off the board carefully adjust the wires to touch the suppressor
replace board and both screws and try running motor carriage. the two screws make up part
of the power circuit so dont loose them.
i wish you well.
regards frankb
Offline William  
#7 Posted : 20 April 2013 03:39:26(UTC)
William

United States   
Hi Ironwolf, did you check the motor brushes? They may have become unseated during shipment. Also, did you oil it according to the owners manual? I you don't have the manual, you can find it at this website:

http://www.marklin.fr/fr...l?page=2&perpage=219

Just copy and paste it into your web browser, scroll down the page until you find your model number. It's there, I checked.
Good luck if the last suggestion hasn't already fixed your problem, or, like me, you haven't already destroyed it beyond repair.
William