Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline littledragon  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2005 23:57:12(UTC)
littledragon

just wondering if anyone done snow 'weather-ing' (or what would one really call it?) to their trains and/or layout?

I was thinking of trying for a winter scene, not difficult to make a white landscape aside to maybe trying shape some tiny snowmans and the so with my hand biggrin
Offline john black  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2005 10:32:16(UTC)
john black

United States   
In case ya don't know - your profile's homepage doesn't open ... [xx(]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline hmsfix  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2005 22:45:57(UTC)
hmsfix

A winter layout looks great. I saw such layout many years ago in the Märklin magazine.

But make shure that the winter on your layout is a canadian not a german one, with a carpet of brilliant white snow on the landscape, houses, trees, and a blue sky.

Winter here in Germany is as follows: 15 degree Celsius, raining all day long, getting dark at 4 pm, battery of your car is down, grey smog hanging over the city, you are sick with influenza.

Then, when I get home after work I play sping and summer on my layout.

Hans Martin

Offline rschaffr  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2005 23:10:16(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Hans Martin: What a bleak outlook! I have some wonderful recollections of winter in Germany, although the scene you depict is common enough, particularly north of the Schwartzwald (I lived in Heidelberg for three years). I do, however, have wonderful memories of small town Christkindlmarkts in the snow and driving in a blizzard to the Saarland to do an IVV event. I plan to do a small town winter scene (complete with Christkindlmarkt) on my era III layout.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline hmsfix  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2005 00:14:12(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Ron,

There is indeed no winter in Germany without Chistkindlmarkets. But this proves what I have said above. Probably you also remember the "Glühwein" served there. This hot alcoholic drink is medicine against the most urgent inconvenience: it kills the influenza bacteria, at least.

Hans Martin
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2005 00:28:07(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Hans. Your winter sounds great compared to Glasgow. Travel a few miles north however and you are in the most beautiful scenery. Just in case you get tired of constant winter on your layout why not try a few mountains on one of the higher levels.
David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline littledragon  
#7 Posted : 03 August 2005 14:18:57(UTC)
littledragon

thanks for your tips everyone Smile

john black...strange, even the company site is down [:|]
Offline john black  
#8 Posted : 03 August 2005 15:23:49(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by littledragon
<br />john black...strange, even the company site is down [:|]

little dragon: perhaps there's no company, anymore ... biggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Mikael  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2005 01:10:04(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
I have no experience with "wintering" a layout. But I remember seeing a winter layout at a local exhibition last year. And I've found a couple of pics from it, in case you can use some inspiration.
Warning, they are quite large:

http://www.ejberg.dk/external/marklinusers/snow1.jpg
http://www.ejberg.dk/external/marklinusers/snow2.jpg
http://www.ejberg.dk/external/marklinusers/snow3.jpg
Offline littledragon  
#10 Posted : 04 August 2005 18:51:05(UTC)
littledragon

mikael.....I only got two words: DAMNNNN ITTTTT!!!!!!

that is a very sweet job and the glisterings too

oh and that layout already gave me a good idea of what kind of plan to use for mine

I had first debated on something of an oval but was afraid about being too much "following the edge of table" and the four empty corners but now the first picture gives me a grand idea.

see how the siding is offset and theres a tunnel at one end...I'll have to note these into my possible final draft paper plan biggrin
(and the curved street to "wrap" around the station too)

I can't image how a real fireman would feel about firing that engine in snow3.jpg I mean it seem to look like the coal are cold with all that snow on them!! hehehe
Offline john black  
#11 Posted : 04 August 2005 21:41:39(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:

Excellent job ... SmileSmileSmile

Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 05 August 2005 14:53:06(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Execllent white layoutSmile,what is the temp?wink
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline stenscience  
#13 Posted : 06 August 2005 15:47:37(UTC)
stenscience

M Magazine 03/05 (the most recent issue rec'd) has an article in making a winter layout.It is ok but you have to try and figure out the N American equivalents the some European brands. A lot of 2 rail mags published in the US (probably availble easily in Canada)have winter layout articles and most of the procedures would apply to 3 rail.I love winter scenes as long as they are not overly cute " Ye Olde Xmas Village" types.