Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mikael  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2005 15:52:48(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Hi.
As you may have seen in another thread here, I am (hopefully) moving next month, which will provide some room for a layout. Not so much bigger than the one I was building before, but it will be very different.
I wonder if you have some suggestions on how to make the layout. Just the big picture, not all the way down to per-track details. Not yet anyway biggrin

Here is my new home. It isn't big, but it is enough for me (and cheap). The green is my initial suggestion for the layout. This room will also serve as a bedroom, so a bed and some room for clothes must also be in there. The red X is a door, but it will be closed permanently. I have no need for it.

UserPostedImage

I am open for sugegstions to other shapes of the layout, as long as there are room for a bed, and access to the window and door.

The layout will contain a shadowstation (no problem there). On the visible area, I want to have at least a double track line all the way round, a 3-5 track main station and a turntable.
If possible, I'd also like a small industrial area / shunting yard. Part of the main track could be elevated (along the back part of the layout). And a small extra station, perhaps just a platform, would be nice.

Do you think this is possible at all?
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2005 17:10:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Have you thought of having a loft bed and a lower layout (say 600mm off the floor) than usual? This way you can enter the bed from the middle of the room and the layout can run under the bed.. If you were really keen you could have all the controllers up there..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Mikael  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2005 22:50:09(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
Hehehe. Now THAT is alternative biggrin

I have been thinking of having a part of the layout on a hinged board on the wall. Then I could easily flip down some extra layout over the bed.
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2005 01:39:43(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Comes from looking at too many Ikea catalogues... Those Swedes must live in tiny houses..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Munich 1860  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2005 02:22:53(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
In an older Märklin magazine I once saw somebody assembling a module-like, removable layout which covered the whole bed, when set up. I suppose you're either sleeping or running the trains, so that would be an option ...

I I were in your position, I would build an "all around along the wall" layout, with folding and/or removable parts where your window and your door is situated. Also I would raise the level of your layout, and incorporate the bed underneath the surface. You would then sleep in your bed as if it was the lower berth on a ferry boat or a sleeper car, and the upper "berth" would be the layout. When unable to sleep or restless in the middle of night, you would leap out of your bed and start the trains ...

Johann
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2005 04:08:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Just watch the smoke oil... It rises... Too many steamers could set off the smoke alarms.. wink
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2005 12:40:35(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />Just watch the smoke oil... It rises... Too many steamers could set off the smoke alarms.. wink

If you have childrenconfused
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Mikael  
#8 Posted : 13 June 2005 13:25:04(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
I haven't moved yet, and when I do, I need to do a lot of other stuff before I can make my new layout. But that doesn't stop me from trying to design a new layout biggrin
Here is my first try. The blue track is elevated, and the green ends are connections for the lower level.

UserPostedImage

What do you think so far?
Offline MärCo  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2005 16:07:28(UTC)
MärCo

I often see some common mistakes on most layouts:

— If following the main line, try to avoid to turn off at a switch. In real life, a railway company will always avoid this. If you have to turn off at a switch, you have to drop the speed. Also, the risk of a derailment is higher if you turn off at a switch (recently in Amsterdam!).
— Try to avoid a facing switch at an industrial site. Drivers of trains really don’t like facing switches. You’re never sure if you are going straight ahead, or will turn off. If you are approaching the switch on the other site, you have always the option to drive the switch open.

Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline Mikael  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2005 01:06:09(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
I have been thinking long and hard about my new layout, as I wasn't happy about the last suggestion I presented here. It simply didn't have the operational challenges, that I love so much. So now I have a new layout, that is much improved. It may still have some common mistakes, but I am willing to accept that, as my space is limited.

Well, here is the big picture:

UserPostedImage

Black is the normal, visible ground level. Green is the elevated level 2, and gray is the hidden lower level, except for the tracks that falls outside the board dimensions. They are visible, but still at a lower level.
And here are the layers separated:

Level 0. Hidden yard and reversal loops:

UserPostedImage

Level 1. Main station (rear), small station (front), turntable:

UserPostedImage

Level 2. Elevated two-way track:

UserPostedImage