Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2011 18:22:38(UTC)
Goofy

Hi!
Has anyone tried to get an macro lenz(close up) to fit on already standard lenz???
So instead to buy an expensive macro lenzes,there is cheaper way and it´s to buy an macro lenz to screw(?) on the standard lenz.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline dntower85  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2011 20:33:43(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
They use to make them for 35mm cameras, and they worked.
There might be one that works for your camera, with the big price difference between an add on macro lens and separate macro lens I would try it.
maybe you can find a camera store that would let you exchange it for a separate macro lens if it doesn't work well.
I'm surprised your camera's lens doesn't have a macro mode.

I seem to remember that there was a telephoto attachment for 35mm camera lens also, but I think they didn't work well.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2011 21:02:12(UTC)
Webmaster

If you mean those extra magnification lenses you can screw onto your normal lense (same place where you put filters) I have tried them with a "well, hmmm, naaahh, maybe..." result. You get closer, but it also gets blurry around the edges - at least with the Olympus C-8080 I tested with some years ago, but it could be different with a DSLR...

Just out of curiosity, what size is the filter thread on your lens? I have some Hoya (+1, +2, +3) 58mm close-up lenses you could borrow for testing if they fit.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2011 21:08:30(UTC)
Goofy

58 mm is too big.
I have 52 mm.
Never mind...i did just asked to been curious about those closeup lenz.
Thanks anyway!
H0
Offline perz  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2011 22:35:36(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I have tried a close-up add-on lens once long ago. Same experience as Juhan. A better idea may be an extension tube. It is put in between the lens and the camera body. I have used that with very good result on my old (non-digital) SLR camera. Nikon have some extension tubes but they do not support the electronics in the lens. There are some other brands that fit with Nikon cameras/lenses and support all the functions in the lens.
Offline GG1 Fan  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2011 23:44:45(UTC)
GG1 Fan

I just push the 'Macro On' button on my Sony Cybershot W55. BigGrin Laugh ThumpUp

I've learned that Macor is essential to capture those Marklin details on the trains.

Regards,
Paul
Offline jvuye  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2011 00:17:01(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Has anyone tried to get an macro lenz(close up) to fit on already standard lenz???
So instead to buy an expensive macro lenzes,there is cheaper way and it´s to buy an macro lenz to screw(?) on the standard lenz.

Hi Goofy
I have used add-on macro lense converters, and the result is not always very good...
But do you need one?
If I assume you bought your D3100 with the standard lens (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR), it focuses as close as 0.28 m, which *is* in fact already a very close range!
If you take a picture with the ZOOM fully extended to 55 mm, at that short distance, you'll be able to capture fantastic details!
Try the following:
1° mount the camera on a tripod
2° set the camera exposure to "automatic", with aperture priority,I think Nikon calls it " Auto A", and select a low ISO (less is better, 100 to 200 max anyway); NO flash!
3° close the diaphragm all the way (in your case that should be f:36 when the lens is on 55 mm , an amazing value which even at close range will give you a very good depth of field!)
4° use the automatic release (timer) so as not to shake your camera while taking the picture
5° And...be surprized with what you'll see as a result! OhMyGod Smile
Let us know!
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline pab  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2011 20:20:27(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Jacques is right about that.
You can select the part of picture you want in an editor program.
Of course a macro lens has other options but Jacques' alternative is very workable.
You should think about a priority in your lenses. Maybe you want a tele(zoom)lens first.

I assume you use the highest quality for your pictures (or maybe raw format)

Convertors will have effect on the amount of light that is going through your lens
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2011 20:26:23(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

Hi Goofy
I have used add-on macro lense converters, and the result is not always very good...
But do you need one?
If I assume you bought your D3100 with the standard lens (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR), it focuses as close as 0.28 m, which *is* in fact already a very close range!
If you take a picture with the ZOOM fully extended to 55 mm, at that short distance, you'll be able to capture fantastic details!
Try the following:
2° set the camera exposure to "automatic", with aperture priority,I think Nikon calls it " Auto A", and select a low ISO (less is better, 100 to 200 max anyway); NO flash!
3° close the diaphragm all the way (in your case that should be f:36 when the lens is on 55 mm , an amazing value which even at close range will give you a very good depth of field!)
4° use the automatic release (timer) so as not to shake your camera while taking the picture
Let us know!
Cheers

Thanks for the report!
I did tried with close and did get better results than autofokus.
Aperture with remotecontrol and minitripod will get best finish of picture!
H0
Offline intruder  
#10 Posted : 20 April 2011 16:13:17(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I ordered a macro lens yesterday, delivery next week.

I am very excited about the Canon EF 100mm f2,8L IS USM macro and cannot wait to test it.
It focuses from 30 cm to infit, at 30 cm it is actual size, 1:1, which means that the size of the photographed object is 24x36mm.

As soon as possible I will post some photos.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Dgriman  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2012 01:26:38(UTC)
Dgriman

Greece   
Macro Photograph with Nikon D300, AF-S Micro Nikkor 105 1:2,8 G ED

UserPostedImage
Panos Project_7195 by dgriman, on Flickr
My web directory for Model RailRoading (Greek and English Language)
http://trains.dgservices.gr
My Photo Album
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgriman/
My Video Channel
Trainsmodeler Video Channel
Thank you for visiting
Dimitris
Offline BrandonVA  
#12 Posted : 19 March 2012 14:36:09(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

I agree with this, many modern lenses already will focus very close. Also, "point and shoot" digital cameras often have a macro mode and will focus within a few cm of the object. The problem here becomes lighting, as being that close causes shadows. There are tons of tricks and complicated setups for macro, reversing a lens, using extension tubs, macro filters, bellows, dedicated macro lenses, etc. Canon and Nikon both make excellent macro lenses.

However, I would recommend to just forget all of this complexity. Others have suggested some pointers for technique. These methods coupled with your existing close focusing lenses will produce a very good image in result. With digital, you can set the camera to the maximum resolution and crop it on the computer. This is the easier way for train pictures IMO. Dedicated macro lenses are not really needed for most, you will not see problems unless you make very big enlargements.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#13 Posted : 05 April 2012 06:19:08(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi!

Hi Goofy
But do you need one?
Try the following:
Let us know!
Cheers

Hi Jacques,
I have the same lens on my D5100. I will try your suggestions, which sound like the answer I'd been trying to figure out myself, on the W/E (Easter) with some new Loks and Rolling Stock before I post them. I'll link here to the result ! BigGrin ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline NZMarklinist  
#14 Posted : 19 August 2012 03:57:33(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Jacques, All,
I finally found an affordable remote trigger for my Nikon D5100. here are two shots, first using standard auto mode without flash !
Second pic, doing as Jaques suggested, put Camera in Aperture priority mode, then open the lens right up, put lens on full zoom - 55mm (it's the 18 -55 Nikor lens) place the camera at the correct distance to get the object in the frame, set the exposure mode to remote which automatically gives a two second delay in the D5100 which allows the autofocus to settle down etc, then it takes the shot see Wink ThumpUp

Gee even the blurred background is clearer in the second pic. These are taken in the btw of my new layout, currently in mockup stage on the lounge floorWink sorry about track box junk in the background Blushing
NZMarklinist attached the following image(s):
Marklin 47718 & 43305 002.jpg
Marklin 47718 & 43305 004.jpg
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 19 August 2012 08:15:18(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Glen!
Excellent and there is even room for further improvement!
What was the aperture setting in the second picture?
If you set to F:16 or even 22, you'll have a much wider depth of field.
Also, noticed the different color shades in the second picture?
Your White Balance ( WB) was probably not set on automatic, or the long pause confused the camera's white balancing system
Here's the second pic after resetting the color temperature
jvuye attached the following image(s):
NZmarklin.jpg
Offline NZMarklinist  
#16 Posted : 19 August 2012 14:47:34(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Glen!
Your White Balance ( WB) was probably not set on automatic, or the long pause confused the camera's white balancing system

Hi Jaques,
Thank you for a further lesson. I was hoping not to have much of the detail in the background. I found, quite by accident that in the afternoon, the light is good down there on the mockup of my layout on the floor. That said I can see a nice improvement in your modification of my photo. I will have a look at my Camera for the "white balance"
Thanks again BigGrin
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline NZMarklinist  
#17 Posted : 19 August 2012 16:07:30(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Glen!

Hi Jaques,
I just checked my Camera, (Nikon D5100) The white balance was indeed not on Auto, but set for shade, don't know how long it's been like that Blushing
I shall re shoot that photo tomorrow, whilst we're on the subject and see what the result is. Weather and light will need to be similar to Saturday of course Blink
Thanks again Jacques, great "Eagle eye" you've got there Smile
Actually whilst looking at the menus I see I can change a lot of things. Must use those somemore Scared Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline NZMarklinist  
#18 Posted : 23 August 2012 16:04:37(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Jacques, All,
I re shot these pics yesterday having reset the white Balance in my Nikon D5100 to "Auto"

First pic in full Auto Mode without flash

Second pic in Aperture Priority mode and lens wide open at F4.8 and using remote trigger, actually the little difference is suprising, but the photo is sharper Confused
NZMarklinist attached the following image(s):
Marklin 47718 Water Pipe Wagen 001.jpg
Marklin 47718 Water Pipe Wagen 002.jpg
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline jvuye  
#19 Posted : 23 August 2012 16:41:22(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Jacques, All,
I re shot these pics yesterday having reset the white Balance in my Nikon D5100 to "Auto"

Second pic in Aperture Priority mode and lens wide open at F4.8 and using remote trigger, actually the little difference is suprising, but the photo is sharper Confused

Glen, to improve the depth of field (also known as "zone of sharpness") you should try *closing* the diaphragm, i.e 16 or 22.
The exposure time will expand , mayb to several seconds, , so the tripod is indispensable...but you suddenly discover there is much more sharp details in the frame.

Looking forward to the next iteration...

Cheers
Offline GlennM  
#20 Posted : 23 August 2012 17:15:06(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   

May I propose two possibly cheaper solutions;

1) Make a home made pin hole lens, you will need to experiment with exposure times, but a fine pin hole if exposed correctly, will result in a picture with a great depth of field. You will of course need plenty of lighting, and a good tripod, and you will have little control except the exposure.

2) Depending on your needs, instead of buying an expensive modern digital lens you could consider purchasing a very good film camera, such as a Nikon F5 (I bought a boxed body hardly used recently for under £100) or Olympus OM body (similar price) and a good manual macro lenses (I have seen Olympus manual macro lens for under £100). These lens will generally deliver results good enough to post here, and in some cases better than a cheap digital camera with cheap macro lens.

Happy photographing.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#21 Posted : 24 August 2012 05:53:18(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Jacques, All,

Glen, to improve the depth of field (also known as "zone of sharpness") you should try *closing* the diaphragm, i.e 16 or 22.
The exposure time will expand , mayb to several seconds, , so the tripod is indispensable...but you suddenly discover there is much more sharp details in the frame.

Looking forward to the next iteration...

Cheers

Hi Jacques,
Thanks once again for your interest, I had the lens at full zoom, 55mm, as you suggested, so ok I will try again at F 16 & 22 & see how it looks. (The lens will go thru 14 up to 32 in 2 digit increases, or down to 8 in single digit increases, then fractionated down to F4.8)
As yet,I dont have a tripod but will look for a small or micro one for using on the layout. For these pics I've been sitting the camera on M set boxes Blushing
The result hopefully will be nice details as I start to build my layout !! Smile
Almost forgot, and finish my modules (for the Auckland members Wink ) Blushing Emsland ones first and later next year will start on Hamburg Dammtor Station, please remind me next year at the Treff to be sure to go there and photograph the heck out of the place. I have allready downloaded all the pics from Google Earth of Hamburg Dammtor Sneaky
Glen
Auckland NZ