Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kbvrod  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2011 21:28:14(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
I have been working on M 3696 BR 86 lok,the original purpose was to touch-up some paint and slightly weather it.Anywho,this girl is so over lubricated it is not funny! I cleaned the wheels,gears,etc 3 times and it still had oil leaking out! I finally took the motor shield off and saw that the gearing from the motor to the wheels was saturated!More cleaning,....
Well,I noticed that this lok had a oil sponge/reservoir on the right(drivers) side,...you guessed it above the gearing!
It was removed,...ok,what material can I replace it with?
Thanks for any help,Mr Clean.
Offline spitzenklasse  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2011 21:39:57(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Kev, you know those yellow cheap kitchen sponges? Look for the least dense one you can find at the store. The one with the most air spaces. Tear a tiny piece off and insert it into the pocket on the Loc. You might want to use a lighter oil if the sponge is denser than the original. If that doesn't work, try a bit of that thin white foam packaging sheeting they wrap pc keyboards with, etc. when they box them up.
Offline kbvrod  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2011 22:23:07(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Originally Posted by: spitzenklasse Go to Quoted Post
Kev, you know those yellow cheap kitchen sponges? Look for the least dense one you can find at the store. The one with the most air spaces. Tear a tiny piece off and insert it into the pocket on the Loc. You might want to use a lighter oil if the sponge is denser than the original. If that doesn't work, try a bit of that thin white foam packaging sheeting they wrap pc keyboards with, etc. when they box them up.

Danke!BigGrin I have both on hand.AFAIK,this lok was bought new,never oiled by the owner.I think Hilde was talking to Gertrude when she was oiling at the factory and wasn't paying attention!Laugh

Thanks again!

Dr D
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2011 22:30:33(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, I've replaced old oil sponges with rubber foam too... The yellow part of a Scotch-Brite sponge will do good enough...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Darren W  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2011 18:42:34(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
My suggestion would be a small piece of felt.

Darren
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2011 21:50:55(UTC)
Webmaster

I actually used folded cotton cloth once for my old 3000... I think it's still in there... The source was worn-out underpants... No shit, I say, worked fine... BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline petestra  
#7 Posted : 21 February 2011 22:08:43(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Funny this should come up! I just did this a few weeks ago to my 3048 with a tweezer and the tiny piece of yellow sponge. So far, so good! Peter Smile