Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vimo  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2010 17:27:05(UTC)
vimo

Happy New train Year to all Cool
There is this problem that has been torturing my mind for a while now.
I am kinda new at automating things, so I will try my best to explain.
I basically have a reasonably long track with a waiting track.
The idea is to run 3 alternating trains on this track.
2 trains (A+B) are waiting at red lights.
When the 3d train (C) approaches, it frees train A and it parks in its place.
Train A goes around and when it approaches again, it frees train B and parks in its place.
Train B goes around and when it approaches again, it frees train C and parks in its place.
etc.
I have a Central Station 60212 (CS1) and all my lights are digital such as 76391
I have tried to use the circuit tracks (24194/24294/24994) that are activated by the pickup shoes and also the contact tracks 24995, but this is where is gets difficult.
Several of my trains have 2 pickup shoes such as the RAE TEE set or a train with a locomotive plus one car with pickup shoe for lighting.
In each case I end up with multiple signals being given to the S88 (60880) and messing up the automation.
What kind of parts and wiring do I need to achieve this ?
Could this be done better with a CS2 (60214) ?
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2010 17:49:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Vimo,

Welcome to the forum and a Happy New Year to you to.

Don't use any track which is influenced by the pick up shoe, do all your automation via the outside track.

All your solenoids need end power cut off.

Control and activate your trains with the live axle's.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline vimo  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2010 18:01:03(UTC)
vimo

Thanks for your quick reply John. I'm not sure how to set this all up, though.
So if I understand you correctly, you suggest that I use the contact tracks 24995 but how many and where ?
How to wire this all up with the s88 ? and how to cause the switch and lights to alternate ?
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2011 00:37:29(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
vimo wrote:
Several of my trains have 2 pickup shoes such as the RAE TEE set or a train with a locomotive plus one car with pickup shoe for lighting.
In each case I end up with multiple signals being given to the S88 (60880) and messing up the automation.
What kind of parts and wiring do I need to achieve this ?
Could this be done better with a CS2 (60214) ?

Hi Vimo,

Your issue is not a new one and has been around ever since there was a use for directional power pickup or mid train lighting. With current carrying couplers the issue may have been mitigated but not fully eliminated.

Currently a CS2 (60213/4) will not, by itself, offer an immediate solution and I believe you must consider 2 approaches (these are not mutually exclusive)

1) position your sensors such that the extraneous (multiple) pulses does not affect the rest of your timetable
- in essence this means always allowing for MAX length trains and never letting the train stop, with any part of it straddling a sensor
2) Devise a mechanism to "inhibit" a sensor for causing an effect. And - not to understate the obvious - re-enable it at an appropriate time.
- this can be done either ,
- - a) before the s88 by inserting a relay/switch(k84 or similar) or
- - b) by adding a PCs programing (bypassing the memory/route control of the CU) and selectively choosing to ignore the s88s pulse.

My personal preference is for 2b because of its future flexibility, but I fully appreciate that there are times/situations when flexibility is not desirable (e.g. fixed sequence exhibitions)
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2011 00:58:18(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
vimo wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply John. I'm not sure how to set this all up, though.
So if I understand you correctly, you suggest that I use the contact tracks 24995 but how many and where ?
How to wire this all up with the s88 ? and how to cause the switch and lights to alternate ?

Hi Vimo,
Any choice of sensor mechanism will have its pros and cons. John likes contact tracks, as do I in certain areas but I do not shy away from Circuit tracks, reeds and magnets, IR or LISSY.

Which do you prefer to work with ?
Peter
Offline vimo  
#6 Posted : 01 January 2011 16:40:09(UTC)
vimo

Thanks for your replies. I personally prefer to use the circuit tracks to avoid having to cut leads inside tracks as is apparently required for the contact tracks.
I would therefore be interested in knowing how to wire things up using the s88 and the k84 as was suggested or with the contact track as suggested previously.
Anyone want to be so kind as to put up some schematics that I could try out ?