Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2010 11:00:40(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Everyone,
I updated my CS2 with the latest via a USB stick which was successful, however, I've noticed some irregularities occurring. Is anyone finding this happening?

For example, when I press the sound button for a horn or whistle, the sound will stay on until the button is pressed again. I haven't changed the parameters - it all started after the update. Also, my mfx V160 diesel won't work correctly. When the speed is started the loco makes the correct sounds to start, but it doesn't move - it needs a nudge to start. The speed also varies by itself while running.

Any ideas, or has my CS2 gone "karput"? Scared

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2010 13:01:14(UTC)
Goofy

I think yours CS2 has become bugged.
I suggest you shall to restart CS2 and try a new update with the latest 1.4!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2010 13:41:44(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I didn't think of this, Goofy - thanks for the tip. Should I just use the same USB stick and update as usual, or should I download a new file?

Regards
Greg
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2010 17:58:52(UTC)
H0

youngagain wrote:
When the speed is started the loco makes the correct sounds to start, but it doesn't move - it needs a nudge to start.

I bet this is a loco problem, not a CS2 problem (just a timely coincidence).
Check the brushes, the tension of the springs that hold the brushes, and the collector (could be dirty).

You can change the functions from permanent to momentary (but I don't know how to do it with a CS2).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2010 18:06:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You can change the sound with the CS2 as per the manual. Just use the usual spanner icon.
Loco needs a clean or slider adjusted or track needs cleaned.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline charles Sharpe  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2010 20:10:20(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I did a update last week on my CS2 and 2 of my signals have frozen on red and will not change.I have rebooted the CS2 but no luck. The two signals are in a finished part of the layout so that is a pain and I have found that the 76xxxx are not the easiest to program.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2010 06:38:36(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I re-installed the update and this occurred !!! I received after the update 2 windows.

1. Says "The last update was successful" and 2. Says "WARNING - "There is no track format processor available. You cannot run locomotives and control solenoid accessories with this unit".

What the hell happened?? Blink

Do you think my CS2 is on the way out? OhMyGod
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2010 11:11:14(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Here's the latest.

I decided to back grade to version 1.35. It "updated" successfully and asked if I wanted to update the TFP ? I said yes, and the screen "An update for TFP is running. Do Not turn this unit off".

Its frozen at this point !!!Cursing What do I do NOW ????Scared
Offline supermoee  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2010 15:02:11(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

never backgrade the software of the CS. This is the wrong thing to do. You messed up your CS2.

only thing you can try is downloading this repair file of Märklin:

http://www.maerklin.de/faq/download.php?Number=218

copy it to an empty USB stick
boot your CS2 with connected stick and wait
turn off your CS and take out the stick
boot again your CS

the repair file automatically made a backup of your data you can fin in the CS and in the USB stick.

First of all before doing an update a backup is highly recommended, because sometimes during an update the data can go corrupt. This is common know for all IT applications, not only the CS2. This is probably the cause of the problem with the whistle you experienced. Re- installing the backup or just change the sound setting in the loco setup menue can easily solve this issue what not really is one.

The problem with you V160 is interesting, because I experience the same with a Br05, but only if it was stopped by braking module. By pressing on the stop button and giving power again, the loco starts normally. This is a known problem of first ESU decoders they told me.

So finally your CS was completely ok after upgrading it. You made a mess by doing the downgrade.

rgds

Stephan
Offline john black  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2010 16:15:47(UTC)
john black

United States   
Don't worry - let 'em squawk. All this is definitely NOT YOUR FAULT, just the usual controller junk by "New" Marklin ...
Ever since the day they abandoned FX Motorola System they aren't able to deliver troublefree motors & electronics, anymore. Period.
My best advice: Return this thing to dealer for replacement - you aren't the first nor the last customer having to do so.
Or get your cash back. You've paid a lot for it, anyway ... UserPostedImage

Edited by user 17 November 2010 17:59:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 16 November 2010 16:40:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You should be able to get back to normal again. I notice in Marklins rather poor instruction manual that they say not to try expensive experiments. I have had no problem with any USB backups. I do remove all locos from the layout first (probably not necessary) and follow the on screen instructions and every backup works first time.
Updating any computer (even a toy one like the CS) can cause problems.
Your loco as said above could be a decoder problem and the whistle is easily corrected as are any controls for sounds.
Marklin really needs to come out with a proper manual explaining in much more detail how the CS2 operates and what to do if a problem shows up.
I am sure mine has been going for a few years now because I do not try anything fancy or attach other units to it (other than a MS2)
I think you have been unlucky here by trying to sort out the problem the wrong way .. although it should be said the problem should not appear in the first place. Maybe Marklin should print full backup instructions along side latest USB/computer backups.
If you follow Stephans post and let us know how you get on. Failing that Peter(Clapcott) is a genius with these things and may be able to help.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline GSRR  
#12 Posted : 16 November 2010 17:47:45(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Greg,

If you decide to repair the CS2 yourself, read here:

https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=16727

see post 83

Once done if you decide to update again after repair, reread the above post. Should you decide to update using the internet and not USB then read here:

https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=17391

http://www.maerklin.de/faq/

Marklin Digital > Central Station II > Reparatur der CS 2 bei versehentlichem Downgrade

(German to English translation)

Repair of CS 2 in case of accidental downgrade

# 218

I made an inadvertent downgrade of software version 1.1.3 (0) to software version 1.0.5 (3). Now my travels Central Station 60213 is no longer high. How can I fix my CS 2 again?

Procedure for Repair:

1. Preparing a USB stick so that the root of the USB flash drive no files. Subdirectories with some files may exist.
2. The following files to the root of the USB stick to copy: stick.sh and reparatur.sh
3. Central Station 2 with inserted USB stick start
4. Wait until the program starts. This can take up to 5 minutes.
5. In the Setup menu [shutdown]
6. If the shutdown is complete, remove the USB stick.
7. The files reparatur.sh stick.sh and delete on the USB stick
8. Both on the stick and the device is a backup of the previous data of the device

The files are stick.sh and reparatur.sh Beitrsg attached as an appendix.

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 17 November 2010 00:50:52(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
supermoee wrote:
Hello,

never backgrade the software of the CS. This is the wrong thing to do. You messed up your CS2.

only thing you can try is downloading this repair file of Märklin:

copy it to an empty USB stick
boot your CS2 with connected stick and wait
turn off your CS and take out the stick
boot again your CS

the repair file automatically made a backup of your data you can fin in the CS and in the USB stick.

First of all before doing an update a backup is highly recommended, because sometimes during an update the data can go corrupt. This is common know for all IT applications, not only the CS2. This is probably the cause of the problem with the whistle you experienced. Re- installing the backup or just change the sound setting in the loco setup menue can easily solve this issue what not really is one.

The problem with you V160 is interesting, because I experience the same with a Br05, but only if it was stopped by braking module. By pressing on the stop button and giving power again, the loco starts normally. This is a known problem of first ESU decoders they told me.

So finally your CS was completely ok after upgrading it. You made a mess by doing the downgrade.

rgds

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the help, unfortunately the repair failed. The procedure did not work. The CS2 starts up and says "TFP with UiD 4353858a has version 1.35. Do you want to initiate an update to version 1.24?" Cursing At this point the 2 options and Y or N - If I say No, nothing happens. If I say Yes, the next screen appears "An update for TFP is running. Do not turn this unit off." But the CS2 hangs. I can go to Setup and shut down the CS2.

I'm very annoyed about this, as there is no mention in the CS2 booklet about NOT back grading the system. No-one here in Australia can work on the CS2, i.e. the dealers, they have to send it back to Marklin and this usually takes 3 to 5 months. What a bummer. Cursing Cursing Scared
Offline supermoee  
#14 Posted : 17 November 2010 10:06:53(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

if you press no, nothing happens.

What that means exactly. The GFP will not be updated, ok. But do you see the control of the locos? can you move between the menues?

Can you control trains?

rgds

Stephan
Offline Drongo  
#15 Posted : 17 November 2010 12:28:24(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
supermoee wrote:
Hello,

if you press no, nothing happens.

What that means exactly. The GFP will not be updated, ok. But do you see the control of the locos? can you move between the menues?

Can you control trains?

rgds

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

1. When I press NO - there is no reaction on the unit.
2. Yes I can still control the locos and the turnouts.
3. Yes, I can move between menus.

The problems that occur are intermittent i.e. sometimes I press a function key and there is a response and sometimes there isn't.

Regards
Greg
Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 14 December 2010 05:56:52(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Well here's the latest.

I decided to update via the internet and I followed the instructions and believe it or not - IT WORKED !!! Wacko. For me this is like winning the lottery - usually Murphy's law applies when I go to do something. So there's a corollary to Murphy's law - it doesn't always apply. Also, I was having a problem with intermittent responses from the whistles and bells functions. I've solved that as well. Just for your knowledge bank, when this occurs, check the voltage of the track - mine was down to around 11.7 V - the solution was simple. I looked under the track where the spade connectors join from the CS2 and cleaned and reconnected them. Voltage increased to 13.5V and the signal now goes every time to the locos.

Thanks to everyone who suggested some help directly or indirectly.

Merry Christmas to ALL

Greg
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 14 December 2010 19:09:18(UTC)
H0

Greg,

11.7 V and 13.5 V sounds as if you're using an inappropriate multi-meter (track voltage should be around 18 volts, even more with a transformer).
A true-RMS multi-meter should give appropriate readings.

Doesn't matter since your problem is solved. Congratulations!
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline sokato  
#18 Posted : 31 December 2010 08:11:47(UTC)
sokato

Help! I did my CS2 update this evening when I finally had time and now have effectively a dead CS2 - "There is no track format processor available..." OhMyGod

Here's background to how I got here: I first tried the Internet update, that failed. Then I tried the USB update and it told me that that was successful. I believe it had asked me if I wanted to update the TFP, to which I said yes. After it told me it had been successful, I checked the version number, it was at 1.40(1) as expected. I even had the TFP at 1.36. All seemed good. As I've seen recommended, I then shutdown and restarted the CS2.

Comming back on, I got the dreaded "There is no track format processor available..." message. Sure enough, the speed knobs were useless. I can move between menus. Interestingly, version is still ok 1.40(a) but there is no TFP level now and when I checked "Information", the screen is blank.

I've had this for a year and a half, the previous update went perfectly.

So now I've read all the threads on this, most say that it has to go back to Germany (bummer) since only Marklin can reset it Cursing . I'm intrigued by one thing I've seen in this thread though: YoungAgain had the same issue above in posting #7:

youngagain wrote:
"WARNING - "There is no track format processor available. You cannot run locomotives and control solenoid accessories with this unit".

Then he went to a prior version of the GFP code (which I take it you're not supposed to do). But - in the end, after he got the new update to apply, YoungAgain now has a working CS2 after having had the "no track fromat processor" error and his system didn't go back to Germany. Is it possible?

So here's the question - is there a way to recover from the "no track format processor" error other than by sending back to Germany?

I guess the question is really for YoungAgain - when you got your error message, was your system truly dead? In post 15, you state that you could control the locos and turnouts, but was that only after you tried to back grade your system?

I really don't want to send this thing back to Germany (yes, that's where I got it) so would love to know if there's any chance of some form of software fix.

Any help or ideas welecome.
Offline clapcott  
#19 Posted : 01 January 2011 02:03:37(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
You might wish to try again using the 2 files on the internet and do an update from USB
- 1.4.0(1) - with GFP(1.35) included
- separate GFP (1.36)

? Can you still access with a PC via ethernet ?
? Just for interest..
- what do you get when you select the GFP tab on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/betatest/dateien.html
The dates and/or checksums may indicate a difference that mean a corruption during download

===========================================================================================
Anfrage /home/cs2/update/ von 192.168.1.222 wird verarbeitet als /home/cs2/update/

total 223
-rw-r--r-- 1 cs2 cs2 36999 Oct 25 2010 000-gfp.bin
-rwxr--r-- 1 cs2 cs2 30732 Sep 9 2010 016-gb2.bin
-rwxr--r-- 1 cs2 cs2 9356 Apr 12 2010 032-connect6021.bin
-rwxr--r-- 1 cs2 cs2 36 Jun 21 2010 048-ms2.bin
-rwxr--r-- 1 cs2 cs2 74392 Oct 11 2010 049-ms2.bin
-rwxr--r-- 1 cs2 cs2 74392 Oct 11 2010 050-ms2.bin

-- Summen für jedes Verzeichnis --
223K .
223K total

-- Prüfsummen für jede Datei --
55599c44fe266ab7dd8f49594afaa786 /home/cs2/update/000-gfp.bin
b5617a3f6926367f870dc343f75d05a9 /home/cs2/update/016-gb2.bin
89a0f38949d1be61538037b38baa8694 /home/cs2/update/032-connect6021.bin
934c47d555043e97ac95aeb6960b45a2 /home/cs2/update/048-ms2.bin
5426269e2fbe0906f4ab512532181d64 /home/cs2/update/049-ms2.bin
5426269e2fbe0906f4ab512532181d64 /home/cs2/update/050-ms2.bin
Peter
Offline sokato  
#20 Posted : 01 January 2011 11:05:42(UTC)
sokato

clapcott wrote:
You might wish to try again using the 2 files on the internet and do an update from USB
- 1.4.0(1) - with GFP(1.35) included
- separate GFP (1.36)

Did that with a fresh download, no joy.

clapcott wrote:

? Can you still access with a PC via ethernet ?
? Just for interest..
- what do you get when you select the GFP tab on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/betatest/dateien.html
The dates and/or checksums may indicate a difference that mean a corruption during download

Yes, I can still access via the network. (BTW, I didn't know about this function before, very useful.)

I see a problem here -

clapcott wrote:

===========================================================================================
Anfrage /home/cs2/update/ von 192.168.1.222 wird verarbeitet als /home/cs2/update/

total 223
-rw-r--r-- 1 cs2 cs2 36999 Oct 25 2010 000-gfp.bin

Mine has this:
-rw-r--r-- 1 1000 cs2 37658 Jan 1 00:01 000-gfp.bin

Needless to say, if the size is different, so is the checksum.

All other files are exactly like yours.

I also looked around at the files inside of the redownloaded cs2update.tgz and cs2update_gfp1.36.tgz. Your file is from cs2update.tgz (date, time and size match); mine seems to be the same one that is in cs2update_gfp1.36.tgz. I can't seem to "down grade" by just updating with only cs2update.tgz. I get a "update successull" message then "No Track Format Processor available..." message. If I try to apply just "cs2update_gfp1.36.tgz" I get the same thing - success, then No Track Format Processor...

A couple of other things that are odd here are that the owner permissions on my file are different - owner ID 1000. On your files and every other one of my files, both the owner and group permissions are "cs2"; on the 000-gfp.bin file I seem to have owner permession "1000". Not sure how that could have been set differently. The date is the other thing that is odd, but the date in the "cs2update_gfp1.36.tgz" is messed up as well (on my Mac, it reads as Jan 2028).

So I have this sinking feeling in my stomach that I have to send this whole thing in for repair. Shipping alone won't be cheap. Seems pretty clear that the only reason for that is that the only folks who have the root password are in Marklin Germany.

Does anyone know if this issue (No TFP available...) is covered out of warranty? I've had this box for well over a year. Sort of stinks if not - clearly this is something that the Marklin update caused...

David