Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2010 05:50:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am expecting my Roco 69151 ICN trainset anyday. The latest information that I received is that the nice customs officials at JFK Airport (NYC) are playing with it for a little while longer.
The trainset comes with a Zimo decoder. All of my other digital loks come with either Maerklin, Digitrax or ESU decoders. I have no experience with Zimo decoders at all.
I presume that the decoder in the ICN will be compatible with Motorola (6021) as it was designed for the Maerklin system.
My initial concern is that I am able to select a new locomotive address using the 6021. I am also curious as to which functions I will be able to select. The 6021 allows for F0-F4. ESU decoders have an added feature where a second (the adjacent) motorola address can be activated, giving access to F5-F8. I wonder whether the Zimo will have a similar feature?
What type of controller is normally required to adjust settings on a Zimo decoder? Does Zimo make a programmer like ESU? What functions can I modify with a 6021 or do I need a CS?

Hopefully one of our digital experts can provide some additional information on these decoders.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2010 06:01:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
And a warning before we start to Lutz, don't even think about trying to crap all over this topic, as I know how less than enamored you are with Zimo decoders.

And sorry to Mike for having to put this in your new topic, but I thought it best to give the warning before we start.

I was chatting to one of our Marklin club members on Friday night, who was enthusing over the Zimo system of train feedback using Railcom. Of course this is all based on reading the Zimo blurb, not on any experience with them. I know Lutz has previously suggested that the Zimo decoders may not be fully compatible with the MM system, but I don't know what specifically is incompatible.

Hope your train arrives in one piece, and that you have no issues with it.

Sorry BD, your warning changed to "red" due to the current warning level. Please excuse the topic intrusion, Mike. /Webmaster

Edited by moderator 30 August 2010 23:53:30(UTC)  | Reason: Member in question is on the edge of suspension due to disturbing behaviour.

Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2010 10:11:34(UTC)
H0

The Roco (www.roco.cc) site wasn't helpful.

Zimo offers manuals online:
http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/handbuch.htm

They write: "Addressing and CV programming is possible with the current Mobile Station as well as the Märklin 6021 command station."
But they also write: "Using the MOTOROLA mode only makes sense if the system used is not capable of operating in the DCC format. DCC is substantially more powerful and should to be the preferred protocol with a multi-protocol system."

I'm afraid there is no secondary address (but I don't have any Zimo decoders and I didn't read the manual).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2010 13:00:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Cant add much other than in the past I have used Zimo decoders and found them to be very good. Have not tried one with my CS2 so look forward to your findings with the model Mike.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Besra  
#5 Posted : 30 August 2010 21:42:03(UTC)
Besra

Hi Mike,

first of all, yes the Zimo Decoder will be compatible with the 6021. That is, it does "understand" the Motorola protocol and you will be able to change settings (e. g. the address). Programming via 6021 is not very comfortable of course, but the procedure is comparable to ESU decoders as far as I know.
Zimo offers a second address for Motorola (see description of CV112 in the manual) in order to access up to eight functions, but this is not the factory default. On the other hand Zimo OEM decoders for Roco may have different default settings.
The standard way to adjust settings would be a DCC programming mode on a CS offering DCC. I believe Zimo offers no programmer like ESU does.

Zimo for a longer period of time offered DCC decoders only. Compatibility to Motorola was introduced not very long ago (I'm not sure when exactly, perhaps two years or so).
I like Zimo's very much in my Marklin Models due to their outstanding characteristics. I have a multi protocol CS so I can change CV settings the easy way.

Best regards
Besra
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 20 September 2010 00:55:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
@Besra/All,

I have confirmed that CV 112 allows you to select the 2nd Motorola Address Function. According to Zimo, you have to change Bit 3 from 0 to 1.

CV 112 Nur im MOTOROLA Format:
Bit 3 = 0: normal (jede Adresse hat 4 Funktionen)
= 1: Folgeadresse wird zur Ansteuerung
von weiteren 4 Funktionen verwendet;
insgesamt 8 Funktionen für eine Lok.

I managed to figure out that Bit 3 has a value of 8 or a binary value of 00001000.
Once either 8 or the binary value is entered as the value for CV 112, you can access additional functions.

Bit 0=1
Bit 1=2
Bit 2=4
Bit 3=8
Bit 4=16
Bit 5=32
Bit 6=64
Bit 7=128

Once this setting is changed, by selecting the next Motorola address, the following sounds can be obtained:
F1 then gives you what sounds like it may be doors opening/doors closing
F2 ?
F3 causes the relay to switch???
F4 gives you the departure announcement for Olten/Zuerich (Solothurn Station)

There does not seem to be a way to access the other announcements.

Thanks

Mike C
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2010 01:25:18(UTC)
H0

mike c wrote:
What digits should I enter to change Bit 3 from 0 to 1?

That depends on how Zimo count the bits.

Most companies count from 0 to 7. Bit 3 will then have the value 8, so you must add 8 to set it (if it's not set) or substract 8 to clear it (if it's set).

At least one company counts from 1 to 8 - bit 3 has the value 4 in this case.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mascagni  
#8 Posted : 20 September 2010 16:13:04(UTC)
mascagni

Two things related to this using a CS1 on this machine with the Zimo decoder:

1. I have set CV 112 to have bit 3 = 1, and have not been able to get to any of the additional functions on the CS1. I have an IB, and perhaps that will work.

2. I believe that the CS1 grabs the next address automatically. I say this because with the CV set, I tried to manually get at the next address, and the CS1 claims address conflict.

Does this setting work with the IB or with an older Maerklin digital controller?

Thanks.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 20 September 2010 17:09:52(UTC)
H0

mascagni wrote:
I believe that the CS1 grabs the next address automatically.

Yes, if you configure more than 5 functions for an MM loco, the consecutive address is used automatically (this matches the ESU non-mfx decoders where you only have a bit to enable the secondary address, but no CV to change it).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mascagni  
#10 Posted : 20 September 2010 18:21:55(UTC)
mascagni

H0 wrote:
mascagni wrote:
I believe that the CS1 grabs the next address automatically.

Yes, if you configure more than 5 functions for an MM loco, the consecutive address is used automatically (this matches the ESU non-mfx decoders where you only have a bit to enable the secondary address, but no CV to change it).

Thomas:

The problem is that the other functions do not work on the CS1 yet. I know I am successfully changing the CVs, but this seems not to work.

Thanks for the confirmation of the automatic grab.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 21 September 2010 04:18:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I checked back with the list of functions mentioned in the post that I had quoted from the Swiss Hag Forum. That list did not include Functions F6 or F7. It seems strange that no function is assigned to those keys, while functions are assigned to the extended F9 through F12. The list that I referred to also gave no Function for F3. It appears that F3 activates or disactivates the acceleration/deceleration.
The Roco manual describes F2 as controlling the interior lights of the trainset. The trainset is not delivered with interior lighting, so this is a little curious, given that F2 is already assigned to a horn. The free or unexplained functions are F6 and F7. As I stated above, F7 seems to cause a clicking sound from the relay. I do not know what it is trying to switch. It does not seem to alter the operation of the trainset.
If anybody has more information on what the F6 and/or F7 keys might do, I would like to know. The Roco manual refers the user to the Zimo Website and gives the decoder as MX6462P. I could not find any reference to this model number on the Zimo website. I downloaded the instructions for a MX64P instead. Hopefully this is the right model.
More info from anybody with experience with these Zimo decoders or who has experimented with models with this decoder would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Besra  
#12 Posted : 21 September 2010 12:48:29(UTC)
Besra

Hi Mike,

I think the MX64P is not the right one. The MX63 / MX64 is an older product line and was replaced about 18 months ago. The "P" in the model name refers to the PluX connector. The MX64P was not a sound decoder. Indeed, there is no "MX6462P" to be found on the Zimo website. This might either be a typo or it is a special OEM variant. Could be MX642 but there is no PluX version of this decoder. The MX642 with PluX would be the MX643P16 or MX643P22, with P16 and P22 referring to the number of pins of the PluX connector.
Anyway, as all recent Zimo decoders share the same software (firmware) I suggest to download the manual for "Small Decoders": http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX620MX630MX640E.pdf.
This manual includes MX642P22…P16 decoders which, according to the website, are named MX643P22…P16 Confused. Maybe Roco was also confused about that and mixed it up, so "MX6462P" possibly is the MX642P16 (which in fact is named MX643P16). I hope you understand...

Best regards
Besra
Offline Eliette  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2010 01:49:22(UTC)
Eliette

mike c wrote:
I am expecting my Roco 69151 ICN trainset anyday. The latest information that I received is that the nice customs officials at JFK Airport (NYC) are playing with it for a little while longer.
The trainset comes with a Zimo decoder. All of my other digital loks come with either Maerklin, Digitrax or ESU decoders. I have no experience with Zimo decoders at all.
I presume that the decoder in the ICN will be compatible with Motorola (6021) as it was designed for the Maerklin system.
My initial concern is that I am able to select a new locomotive address using the 6021. I am also curious as to which functions I will be able to select. The 6021 allows for F0-F4. ESU decoders have an added feature where a second (the adjacent) motorola address can be activated, giving access to F5-F8. I wonder whether the Zimo will have a similar feature?
What type of controller is normally required to adjust settings on a Zimo decoder? Does Zimo make a programmer like ESU? What functions can I modify with a 6021 or do I need a CS?

Hopefully one of our digital experts can provide some additional information on these decoders.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike C
I would be very interested to share your experience about activating a second motorola address to access F5-F8. My son was given the ICN for his birthday this week and so far we have not been able to access F5-F8 (with a CS 1).
Regards
Eliette, Switzerland