Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eduard71  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2010 08:25:01(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Dear all,
I am very dissapointed with the quality of some Marklin products that just will destroy them self. I have the 42281 set of cars wich is a MHI product, they are four DB passanger vagons made of metal, actually they are the Rheigold vagons in Era III.
The BIG problem is that the protective (or destructive) plastic insert that comes in the bottom of the box has made a kind of chemical reaction with the paint of these vagons and now all four vagons have horrible scratches on the paint, all in the same place. I have taken some photos of the plastic insert where you can see the marks of the vagos. Only the sides of the vagons in contact with that plastic where damaged. Please review your models this can be a big problem on any model with the same plastic protective material.
I will send a letter to Marklin about this.Mad

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards
Eduardo

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 12:22:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2010 08:41:44(UTC)
applor

Australia   
That's horrible and very unfortunate given this beautiful and rare set. I hope Marklin listen to you and can help in some manner (though I doubt it).
I am not sure where this protective insert is though, I thought its just styrofoam?

The 42281 set is the 'Good Luck' F-Zug train used around 1955 (era IIIa) and not the Rheingold though.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Armando  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2010 08:54:19(UTC)
Armando

United States   
This is horrible!

Most of the train sets with metal shells come from the factory in their styrofoam boxes wrapped in a protective transparent plastic film. I suppose that Eduardo is right, maybe some chemical reaction took place between the plastic film and the varnish of the coaches.

I have experienced a somewhat similar situation with my two V 200 locomotives, although in this case, the problem was the white felt patches that somehow got stuck onto the varnish and removed tiny parts of it. My impression is that it depends rather on the quality of the paint used at the factory, as I have many other metal locomotives in their boxes with the same white felt patches and so far no damages have been recorded.

I usually wrap all of my models in silk paper to avoid contact with styrofoam inserts.

Hopefully, Märklin will respond to Eduardo with a positive solution.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2010 11:08:11(UTC)
H0

Hi!
applor wrote:
The 42281 set is the 'Good Luck' F-Zug train used around 1955 (era IIIa) and not the Rheingold though.

Eduardo is correct: these are the coaches of the era II Rheingold train as they were used by Deutsche Bundesbahn in era III.
They have no interior lights, but I got the (power conducting) short-couplers from the Rheingold set for my Glückauf set (reduces the gap between the puffers).

Eduardo, what is causing the trouble? The styrofoam mould or the plastic film?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline foumaro  
#5 Posted : 16 June 2010 12:37:25(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have the set in my display case and the box alone in a closet.I am sorry for your problem my friend.
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 16 June 2010 14:08:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
UserPostedImage

repaired link.

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 12:21:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 16 June 2010 14:09:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Eduardo,

Can you post a better photo of the plastic insert? I can't really see where the problem lies.
Ray
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 16 June 2010 16:43:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The 42281 was one time series in 2002, It was Eight years ago.

I don't think Marklin done it but ex-owner did it?

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Armando  
#9 Posted : 16 June 2010 17:07:50(UTC)
Armando

United States   
RayPayas wrote:
Eduardo,

Can you post a better photo of the plastic insert? I can't really see where the problem lies.

Like I explained above, there is actually no plastic "insert". They come from the factory wrapped in a flimsy trasparent plastic film that is supposed to "protect" them from damages that otherwise would have been caused by the contact with the styrofoam bed. However, it turns out that the remedy here is far worse than the illness. It was the plastic film that reacted with the paint somehow and melted it.

This problem may be encountered also in the case of Le Capitole, the Senator, VT11.5, VT08, the Henschell-Wegmann, and the horrible Gottardos, as they all come wrapped in this flimsy plastic film from the factory.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 16 June 2010 17:23:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Armando wrote:

...However, it turns out that the remedy is far worse that the illness. It was the plastic film that reacted with the paint somehow and melted it.

This problem may be encountered also in the case of Le Capitole, the Senator, VT11.5, VT08, the Henschell-Wegmann, and the horrible Gottardos, as they all come wrapped in this flimsy plastic film from the factory.

Is there any evidence that this is a widespread problem? If these coaches came out 8 years ago and no-one else has reported the same issue perhaps this is a once only event?

I wonder if the box has been exposed to extreme heat at some point, causing the plastic to fuse with the paint?

Edited by moderator 18 May 2013 03:02:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ray
Offline foumaro  
#11 Posted : 16 June 2010 17:55:04(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
If our friend leave the cars in a place with high temperatures?
Offline jonquinn  
#12 Posted : 16 June 2010 18:07:38(UTC)
jonquinn

you also don't know if the previous owner/seller used some sort of solvent based liquid to clean the cars at some time, and residue reacted with the plastic or paint in a tight enclosed box.
I've not seen this problem with any of my stuff. Marklin is not the only company to package trains this way either.

the only paint damage I've ever seen was on the EMD F7 set, and there was no felt patch protecting the nose of the logo and the metallic gold paint wore off. that set was sent back.
Offline eduard71  
#13 Posted : 16 June 2010 18:21:18(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
The box has been storaged in a dry place the temperature is about 22-23 Cº all year, no direct sun light, only taken out of the box about two times (may be that is the problem).
It looks like I am the one that always discovers problems because I was the first exposing the zinkpest in the green Koff, after that a lot of people came with the same problem, also I was the first in this forum to show the problem of zinkpest of the seethal cocodril and now this. Not many people have this set so those with it should review it. I have a lot of trains with more that 160 locomotives and probably about 500+/- vagons and cars, many are just storaged and used from time to time , but they are in a safe place. There is somthing that could be or not important, there is a tag in the set that says (Made in Hungary) , could be a problem of the plastic film used in that country for packaging? Who knows!
Offline eduard71  
#14 Posted : 16 June 2010 18:25:10(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
jonquinn wrote:
you also don't know if the previous owner/seller used some sort of solvent based liquid to clean the cars at some time, and residue reacted with the plastic or paint in a tight enclosed box.
I've not seen this problem with any of my stuff. Marklin is not the only company to package trains this way either.

the only paint damage I've ever seen was on the EMD F7 set, and there was no felt patch protecting the nose of the logo and the metallic gold paint wore off. that set was sent back.

Hi Jonquinn,
I bought this set to a Marklin dealer, so there was no previous owner. At that time the set was in perfect condition, about 5 years ago.
Offline MikeK  
#15 Posted : 16 June 2010 20:14:48(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
eduard71 wrote:

Hi Jonquinn,
I bought this set to a Marklin dealer, so there was no previous owner. At that time the set was in perfect condition, about 5 years ago.

Do you know under which conditions the set was stored at the dealer?, like was the box open sitting on display in the window for a long time or in a cabinet where the plastic might have been exposed to UV or IR radiation from lamps?

It is a known problem with plastics that the softener in them leaks out over time, I once had a Logictech mouse at work that became exceptional greasy/sticky due to this, just after a couple of years. Depending on what kind of plastic the foil is made of, I guess it could be these chemicals that attacked the paint - not that it helps you, and I would complain to Märklin too if it had happened to me Sad at least so they don't use that type of plastic in the future - we should not be expected to repackage everything we buy.

We should all think about how we store our trains.

Links on the topic of deteriorating plastic: http://mmics.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/problem-plastics-check-list.pdf and http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conservation/connectingmn/docs_pdfs/repurposedbook-plasticsandmodernmaterials_000.pdf
A single track on the floor is better than no track at all...
Offline perz  
#16 Posted : 16 June 2010 23:30:39(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I have this set. I do not have this problem with it and I do not recognize the plastic inserts.
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 17 June 2010 01:35:43(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If the set was bought from a Marklin dealer (eg Lok shop or similar) then send it back and you will get a full refund. If bought on ebay then you pays your money and you take your chance.
This is a nice set and you must be very disappointed but I see no reason to keep them ... credit card company should also be in a position to refund.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline dntower85  
#18 Posted : 17 June 2010 06:55:41(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
That is so strange. sorry it happened.

Could oil of dripped, off the wheels then drained down on to the plastic then soften the paint over a long period of storage?
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Unholz  
#19 Posted : 17 June 2010 10:52:59(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
David Dewar wrote:
... credit card company should also be in a position to refund.

...oh, really? ConfusedThumbDown Reading the posts above reveals that our member bought the set five years ago! Bored
Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 17 June 2010 14:26:40(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Unholz wrote:
David Dewar wrote:
... credit card company should also be in a position to refund.

...oh, really? ConfusedThumbDown Reading the posts above reveals that our member bought the set five years ago! Bored

What a clever little person you areBigGrin
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline David Dewar  
#21 Posted : 17 June 2010 14:31:19(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Eduardo. Missed the fact that you have had the cars for a considerable time in their box. Not much point then in getting a refund !!
Must now have a look and see what I have stored that has not been out of its box for a while. These are nice cars as I said and pity that they have been spoiled.

dave
Offline mike c  
#22 Posted : 17 June 2010 20:44:38(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
eduard71 wrote:
Dear all,
I am very dissapointed with the quality of some Marklin products that just will destroy them self. I have the 42281 set of cars wich is a MHI product, they are four DB passanger vagons made of metal, actually they are the Rheigold vagons in Era III.
The BIG problem is that the protective (or destructive) plastic insert that comes in the bottom of the box has made a kind of chemical reaction with the paint of these vagons and now all four vagons have horrible scratches on the paint, all in the same place. I have taken some photos of the plastic insert where you can see the marks of the vagos. Only the sides of the vagons in contact with that plastic where damaged. Please review your models this can be a big problem on any model with the same plastic protective material.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards
Eduardo

I have not responded to this thread so far (until now). I would like to ask Eduardo a few questions about his item:

In the last photo posted in your original thread, you show the box with the four coaches, and none of the coaches show any damage. This made me a little curious:

1) Did the damage occur to the top (facing up) side of the coach or to the bottom side of the coaches?

2) Does this item come with a styrofoam cover piece or just the cardboard box on top of the main cradle?

3) It appears that the damage is almost identical on each coach, following the same pattern. Normally, I would expect coaches to have slight differences in damage due to pressure points not being exactly the same. How was the Set stored, was it stored vertically or horizontally (flat)? If flat, how many other items were stored on top of it?

4) If the damage occurred to the side of the coach facing the bottom of the cradle (box), Could you post a photo of the styrofoam insert showing the point where the damaged area of the coaches would have contacted the cradle?

5) Was the item moved or otherwise handled before the time the damage was discovered? Was there any signs of abrasion on the top or bottom of the carton that would indicate pressure. Repeated rubbing due to motion and pressure could potentially explain the type of damage that occurred.

As a general precaution, make sure that you are not stacking your Maerklin (or other RR) boxes too high... The downward pressure on the bottom boxes can result in abrasion damage over time. Where possible, store your items in an upright manner. If this is not possible, make sure that you limit the weight placed on any particular item. Also, when replacing your items in their box, make sure that the item is properly inserted into the cradle, so it does not allow the weight of other packages above to be transferred to the item and to potentially cause abrasion.

If you want to replace the plastic foil strips that have been used by Maerklin to line the inside of some cartons or to protect the items, you can purchase a package of Medium size Glad Freezer Bags and insert each locomotive, coach or car into a bag before placing in the box. I have found those bags to be similar to the ones that Hag delivers it's locomotives in. For coaches, you may have to use the Large size.

One last thought... There are many items in daily life that include some form of alcohol or other chemical that can damage paint, plastic and other products that can be found in or on model RR items.
Make sure that if you are using a Window cleaner, cologne, perfume or any aerosol spray, that your items are not exposed to residue, as this can lead to problems.

I look forward to hearing your elaboration to my queries, and hope to be able to narrow down the cause of this problem so that it can be averted in the future.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 12:20:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline pa-pauls  
#23 Posted : 17 June 2010 23:17:50(UTC)
pa-pauls

Neither have I had any problems with this...

Looking forward to see you soon Lutz ThumpUp
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline eduard71  
#24 Posted : 17 June 2010 23:41:28(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
mike c wrote:
eduard71 wrote:
Dear all,

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards
Eduardo

Hi Mike, my answers in yellow

I have not responded to this thread so far (until now). I would like to ask Eduardo a few questions about his item:

In the last photo posted in your original thread, you show the box with the four coaches, and none of the coaches show any damage. This made me a little curious:

1) Did the damage occur to the top (facing up) side of the coach or to the bottom side of the coaches?
Damage occured to the bottom side of the coaches. There is a protective transparent plastic film in the bottom of the box that film caused the damage.

2) Does this item come with a styrofoam cover piece or just the cardboard box on top of the main cradle?
It comes with a styrofoam cover piece.

3) It appears that the damage is almost identical on each coach, following the same pattern. Normally, I would expect coaches to have slight differences in damage due to pressure points not being exactly the same. How was the Set stored, was it stored vertically or horizontally (flat)? If flat, how many other items were stored on top of it?
The box was stored horizontally (flat) and it had about 4 or 5 other sets on top, only one was heavy the 3600 set of three locomotives. May be this was the cause but it looks rare that the damage is in the bottom of the vagon and not the top. Another thing is that the problem is only where the plastic film is and there is no trace of paint, it looks like a chemical reaction like acid.

4) If the damage occurred to the side of the coach facing the bottom of the cradle (box), Could you post a photo of the styrofoam insert showing the point where the damaged area of the coaches would have contacted the cradle?
The styrofoam is in perect condition no marks, the marks are only in the plastic film that was in the bottom of the styrofoam box, see my the third photo, in that photo you can see some white marks.

5) Was the item moved or otherwise handled before the time the damage was discovered? Was there any signs of abrasion on the top or bottom of the carton that would indicate pressure. Repeated rubbing due to motion and pressure could potentially explain the type of damage that occurred.
About 3 month ago I discover the first damage only in the red vagon, at that time I thougt it was an accident or a crash, but last night I discover that the blue coachs where damaged to.
The box has a styrofoam cover I will see if there is any mark and I will take some more photos.

As a general precaution, make sure that you are not stacking your Maerklin (or other RR) boxes too high... The downward pressure on the bottom boxes can result in abrasion damage over time. Where possible, store your items in an upright manner. If this is not possible, make sure that you limit the weight placed on any particular item. Also, when replacing your items in their box, make sure that the item is properly inserted into the cradle, so it does not allow the weight of other packages above to be transferred to the item and to potentially cause abrasion.

Thank you for this tip, I will storage my items upright.

If you want to replace the plastic foil strips that have been used by Maerklin to line the inside of some cartons or to protect the items, you can purchase a package of Medium size Glad Freezer Bags and insert each locomotive, coach or car into a bag before placing in the box. I have found those bags to be similar to the ones that Hag delivers it's locomotives in. For coaches, you may have to use the Large size.

One last thought... There are many items in daily life that include some form of alcohol or other chemical that can damage paint, plastic and other products that can be found in or on model RR items.
Make sure that if you are using a Window cleaner, cologne, perfume or any aerosol spray, that your items are not exposed to residue, as this can lead to problems.

I look forward to hearing your elaboration to my queries, and hope to be able to narrow down the cause of this problem so that it can be averted in the future.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 12:20:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline grnwtrs  
#25 Posted : 19 June 2010 01:36:08(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Hi All:

When I first saw this topic, and the set # ma 42281 I was horror stricken
Seems like for the past 2 years, I have been adding "plastic wrap.cellophane to cushion my old analogue engines and cars.sets as appropriate. Sometimes the Styrofoam just gives out. Actually with the cellophane I have switched to "food grade". can't say it is any better than the regular "craft store" variety, but its more expensive. Sooooo its gotta be better.Laugh

Back to the Good luck set, I finally found it on the typewriter, Doesn't everyone have oneLaugh Laugh It was under 4-5 other cars sets, which in turn was under
3 other good size boxes ( 1ga size) with engines. Anyway

I dug the set out and found it was not metal. All 4 cars are plastic. Maybe I gots the wrong set. So much for that, I haven't looked at the set since I received it new on September of 1995. I have the red speisewagen with the bird. This particular car is arranged opposite view from the picture listed above. I bought this set to go with the MA 39190 which still rests in its box.

Each car has the "Marklin Factory cellophane" resting under it. This is how I received the set, probably it is not right. But that is the way I found the set, and the way I put it back.

Paint Damage? What damage. None!! As I said maybe I have the wrong set, since
my cars are all plastic or so. Of note the cars are also covered with the Styrofoam cover, and most importantly the cars match the picture of the set of the boxtop!! and says "... Gluckauf" and has the appropriate number 42281.

Maybe there should be more discussion of proper methods for storing our treasures?

Gene
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 19 June 2010 09:16:57(UTC)
H0

grnwtrs wrote:
All 4 cars are plastic.

So we have one case where the plastic film turns blue colour into white.
And one case where the plastic film turns tin-plate into plastic.
Mysterious ...

Gotta call CSI Märklin (or maybe better Ghostbusters?!?!?).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Macfire  
#27 Posted : 20 June 2010 05:26:46(UTC)
Macfire

Hi Eduardo,
Sorry to hear of your problem with your 42281.

You sent shivers of panic through me I must admit. I pulled my own set out and was relieved to see that my coaches were unmarked.
I repackage them using paper towels on the bottom and placed the protective plastic wrap over the top - and kept the set inside instead of in the garage (our winter)...
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline RayF  
#28 Posted : 20 June 2010 14:22:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Careful Macca, you might get a reaction between the paint and the paper towels! BigGrin

I hope you used the plain ones and not the ones with little flowers.
Ray
Offline Macfire  
#29 Posted : 22 June 2010 11:21:50(UTC)
Macfire

RayPayas wrote:
Careful Macca, you might get a reaction between the paint and the paper towels! BigGrin

SHEEE 1T!!!!!!!!

Off to buy plain towels........Cursing Cursing
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline drwhitl  
#30 Posted : 23 June 2010 10:04:10(UTC)
drwhitl

Macfire wrote:
RayPayas wrote:

SHEEE 1T!!!!!!!!

Off to buy plain towels........Cursing Cursing

Un-bleached ones perhaps, Macca?? Now I'm getting paranoid!
Offline sampiero  
#31 Posted : 18 May 2013 02:09:16(UTC)
sampiero

Hi Guys,
Always surfing on internet to learn more about our hobby, I discovered this topic tonight and got scarred. Hopefully no real damages to my stored 42281 coaches, just some very light transfert of the grey lines to the plastic. The coaches are still looking new.
Some time ago, I checked locomotives white boxes and saw that the plastic insert is becoming dark yellow. All my locomotives are in vitrines and above the yellowing, I did not see any sticky part.
Does any of you met these kind of problems ?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#32 Posted : 18 May 2013 03:09:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: drwhitl Go to Quoted Post
Un-bleached ones perhaps, Macca?? Now I'm getting paranoid!

How about unused dunny paper then........OhMyGod

Yes Sampiero, I have one or two loco plastic inserts that have gone yellow. They then get brittle and fall apart. I much prefer the styrofoam boxes for keeping locos in. Marklin, you've really gotta improve the quality of these things!
Offline H0  
#33 Posted : 18 May 2013 08:11:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Marklin, you've really gotta improve the quality of these things!
Maybe they improved it already - we'll know in 20 years ...
I hope the current PET inlays do not get brittle.

All sorts of packaging can be harmful.

White styrofoam: might leave patterns on the items
Black foam: may deteriorate and stick to loco
PET inlays: may get brittle (potentially harmful when loco is mailed in brittle inlay); may damage colour if loco is mailed without protective sheets (plastic or felt) at the right places; may break off antennas and new (telex) couplers when closed incorrectly (occurs with brand-new items, too - and still happens with current models).

There are both styrofoam and PET packages where antennas can break off if loco is inserted the wrong way.
Yes, I noticed this thread was idle for nearly 3 years.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#34 Posted : 18 May 2013 11:01:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
[Yes, I noticed this thread was idle for nearly 3 years.

As did I.

The PET inlays are also a pain to put back together, that was one of the reasons why I feel Marklin need to do better in this area.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#35 Posted : 18 May 2013 11:58:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is PET?

The streaks on paint work is called Schlieren by the Germans. I can be corrected. There have been reports that this phenomena involving packaging, goes way back to the production of the 346 series coaches in the early 50s.

Streaking of the paint on some models was blamed on the tissue wrapping. I do not know how long after production this was supposed to have occurred.

The most important thing in all this, is not to panic, just remain paranoid. BigGrin

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Dave Banks  
#36 Posted : 18 May 2013 12:03:35(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
David I am in total agreement with you on this subject. I absolutely hate the plastic insert that turns brown & brittle & shatters with age. My preference was the old polystyrene type of packaging that did not seem to age if handled correctly. I like it when it has a lid on it I.E. two halves. My two cents worth on this topic.
D.A.Banks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#37 Posted : 18 May 2013 12:24:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Polyethylene Terephthalate

http://en.wikipedia.org/...lyethylene_terephthalate
Offline MikeTrain  
#38 Posted : 18 May 2013 13:17:00(UTC)
MikeTrain

Italy   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Polyethylene Terephthalate

http://en.wikipedia.org/...lyethylene_terephthalate

What is this, about polygraphers telegraphing about elephants eating chocolate until late !!!! BigGrin Laugh

The problem is seriuos and really too bad. If they have been stored ,just sitting tight on the shelf, all these years.

Maybe once taken down, to go on display somewhere having a car ride inside box or bag, but then only showed off, inside the opened box,

so that the"damage" was only discovered much later.

I am not Sherlock or Colombo, just trying to immagine how it could have happened, not being chemical

Hope we find out.

Mike
Offline James  
#39 Posted : 18 May 2013 14:50:29(UTC)
James

Canada   
Eduard:

Soooooooooooooooooooooo Totally uncool Cursing

It is very disappointing to see, especially if it could have been prevented. I work at my dealer's shop every so often and I am surprised to see just careless some customers/staff are when it comes to handling product today. I cannot tell you how many times I see locomotives stored on their sides in the back room of the shop. I would be very upset to purchase an item only to find that it is messed up (like these beautiful coaches) due to careless storage. I hope you can get this situation fixed to your satisfaction.

Sincerely
James B
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)