Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2010 17:47:33(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
What kind of oil should you use on locos, coaches, wagons? I have the ordinary household (3 in 1) type lubricant - is this OK?
And then WHEN / HOW MUCH oil to apply?? I have a feeling i over-oil? my one loco started jerking, stop starting, and when i removed the carbon brush it was kinda saturated in oil?!? oh dear.....it just is so difficult to only put a drop on/in all the right places...?!? any tips, hints......
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2010 18:16:21(UTC)
H0

Oil on the brushes can even kill some decoders (if you're running digital).
The instructions that come with every loco tell you where to oil - and where not to.
Never oil the brushes or the collector.
Too much oil will be harmful in almost any place.

I'd use MRR oil simply because it comes e. g. with a needle that allows you to get the small drops you need.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2010 18:22:54(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I use the 'Oil pen', You can get one from most Model/hobby shop.

http://www.rnhorological...289%20Oil%20Pen%20RN.jpg

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2010 19:14:31(UTC)
H0

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2010 21:36:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Just use Marklin oil and use it as per the instructions with locos and coaches and you wont go wrong.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline perz  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2010 23:08:40(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
On our company layout where we run the locos very much (30-60 min/day, every day) we have come to the conclusion that ordinary sewing machine/household oil is the best. "Better" oil does not last very long. But if you apply it directly from the bottle you get too much. Pick up a small drop with e.g. a needle or a very small screwdriver and apply it where necessary.
Offline Darren W  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2010 23:50:33(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I have a bottle of Trix oil that my dealer gave me when I bought my starter set. I should get an 'oil pen' though as it comes out of the bottle too fast.

Cheers...
Darren
Offline Brakepad  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2010 02:04:48(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
perz wrote:
On our company layout where we run the locos very much (30-60 min/day, every day) we have come to the conclusion that ordinary sewing machine/household oil is the best. "Better" oil does not last very long. But if you apply it directly from the bottle you get too much. Pick up a small drop with e.g. a needle or a very small screwdriver and apply it where necessary.

I also use good quality sewing machine oil and am very happy with the results. I think that "3-in-1" type oil is too thin.

Sewing machine oil is easy to find and very cheap in comparison with MRR oil. I have not noticed any difference between both in terms of lasting or performance. Just don't use too much.
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline sudibarba  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2010 02:39:09(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Brakepad wrote:
perz wrote:

I also use good quality sewing machine oil and am very happy with the results. I think that "3-in-1" type oil is too thin.

Sewing machine oil is easy to find and very cheap in comparison with MRR oil. I have not noticed any difference between both in terms of lasting or performance. Just don't use too much.

I agree that 3 in 1 is too thin. Marklin recommends a 30 or 40 auto engine weight in their older literature. Anyway,
oil is too cheap to worry about. You have $400 engines or so. An $8 or $10 bottle of Marklin or HAG (my choice) lasts a long time even if you have a hundred Loks.
Eric
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2010 20:11:54(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
perz wrote:

tx Perz, i now only realise just how badly some of my older wagons/coaches need a good clean and oiling - compared with my new 43019 set which runs, and looks, SO nice. The needle works wonders, a drop on the needle and it runs down to exactly where its needed! what would i do without the M forum??
Offline Deborail  
#11 Posted : 16 March 2010 08:25:41(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
I use marklin oil for my locos only and normal sewing machine oil for my wagons....
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2010 21:38:06(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
I used some M* oil on my Class 50 and now the loco runs really badly! I put a drop in all the areas identified in the instructions, but now it much worse.

I think it might need surgery and a clean-up, but I haven't got the minerals just yet.

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline Ross  
#13 Posted : 16 March 2010 23:12:40(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi All,

It seems that the topic of lubrication has surfaced again and for new forum members they might be interested in reading "Lubrication of Rolling Stock" under my tips section on my web page.
Ross