Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walters48  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2010 03:09:46(UTC)
walters48

United States   
I bought a really nice, gently used #3031 BR 81. When I acquired it, I knew I would have to replace the old black tires which were so stretched, they were falling off the wheel. So I got genuine M* rubber tires, removed the crank bolts to free the rods and removed the old black tires. I put the new tires on not knowing that the original clear plastic tires were badly worn down but still in the damn groove. Fast forward to running my new loco this afternoon w/ 11 cars in tow. The loco ran badly. When I checked I saw that the new tires were coming off! Got the loco under a strong light w/ my trusty OptiVisor and then discovered the old clear tires were still on... like fused on. I tried the little screw driver and the tweezers in the M* Tool Kit, but the old tires refused to budge. Any ideas on what to try next.
Thanks,
Chas
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2010 06:50:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Rubber, being a derived natural compound, will eventually decay. In your case, it has hardened. The result is that it no longer expands (it cannot be stretched and removed) nor does it have the characteristics that enabled it to act as a tractive aid.
It can be removed by cutting it and then basically scraping the rest of it out of the wheel. You have to do this carefully so as not to damage the wheel itself. Use a fine pair of scissors to cut the traction tire and then insert a screw driver no wider than the tire into the cut and carefully peel the remnants out until they are gone.
Once that is done, you should clean the slot in the wheel with a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Once this is done, allow the alocohol to evaporate. You should then be able to install the suitable replacement rubber tire into the wheel and reassemble your model.
I had to do this with one of my older loks (NS 1000) and it works perfectly now. If the wheel is not properly clean, the rubber tire will not sit correctly and the lok will wobble when in movement.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2010 10:03:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
These old Tyres (are not a rubber compound) have been a better product by ways of not being able to stret, although their pullingpower (ok when new) must of taken on grime, grease & dirt.
If you clean them with a clean cloth you should be alright but don't turn the wheels on the side without the cogwheels.
Black rubber tyres are made of rubber and extend the moment they come in contact with any oily substance and stretch.
It is always better to oil your loco beforehand and than put on the new tyres.
To take off the old tyres, if you need to, you need a pointy tool to get between the groove and the tyre or as Mike suggested, cut it.
You will find there will be no residue or any left overs, these tyres always have been like this.

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline walters48  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2010 17:37:30(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Thanks to John and Mike C for their thoughtful replies.
These answers beg the question as to why this issue hasn't been addressed in previous forums. I did an extensive search in the "All Forums" category w/o success. I have to think that there must be thousands, if not tens of thousands, of these old loks owned by those in our ranks( Oscar probably owns a ton or so), yet the topic seems insignificant.
Please keep in mind that I have barely six months in this fine hobby, so perhaps this topic numbers in the hundreds in the Forum archives that my searches didn't reach.
Chas
Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2010 19:12:47(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Chas:

I had a similar problem some time ago. I cut the old tires out with a sharp knife and cleaned the grooves with a small tip screwdriver. All was ok. I do seem to recall the subject coming up here but it was a long time ago.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline walters48  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2010 21:26:21(UTC)
walters48

United States   
rschaffr wrote:
Chas:

I had a similar problem some time ago. I cut the old tires out with a sharp knife and cleaned the grooves with a small tip screwdriver. All was ok. I do seem to recall the subject coming up here but it was a long time ago.

Thanks Ron. My problem is that I can't find a blade(including Xacto) narrow enough to fit in that groove where the old tire is hiding. Do you remember what you used?
Thanks, Chas
Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2010 21:47:33(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I used a triangular x-acto blade just drawing the tip across the material several times lightly so as not to score the metal on the wheel. When it was most of the way through, I popped it off with the screwdriver
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline walters48  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2010 02:43:22(UTC)
walters48

United States   
rschaffr wrote:
I used a triangular x-acto blade just drawing the tip across the material several times lightly so as not to score the metal on the wheel. When it was most of the way through, I popped it off with the screwdriver

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the excellent advice.