Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Guus  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2008 01:27:33(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
History

In the late forties of the former century SBB needed a new locomotive for their Gothard route, which was served until then mainly by the Be 4/6 and the Be/Ce 6/8s.
With traffic growing on this route the need for a more powerful and versatile locomotive was born.
Around 1952 the Swiss railway industry proposed the Ae 6/6 and it was put into service by SBB around october of that year.

Technical specification

The loc has a Co’Co’ axle configuration or 6/6 as it’s called in Swiss terminology.
It has 6 drive motors with a total power of 4416 kW (=6000 PS).
The weight of the loco is 124 tons and the pulling force is 18 tons at a speed of 78.5 kmh.
The locs were capable of reaching a top speed of 125 kmh however in day to day operation released for a maximum speed of 110 kmh and later 120 kmh.

One of the features of this locomotive is the clearly visible secondary spring system.
All axles of the loc are independently sprung by means of coil springs on a subframe(the bogies).
The bodyshell in turn is supported by four leaf springs which are connected to the bogies.

Furthermore the so called “Kantonsloks” have the characteristics chrome stripes.
Later “Städteloks” didn’t have these chrome stripes,and nowadays there’s a third variant with the Cargo Look.

Service

The loc was meant for both freight train and passenger train operation on routes with steep gradients.So one could see them regularly on the Gotthard route for instance.It may be worth mentioning that SBB discovered that the axle configuration of the Ae 6/6 lead to increased wear of the tracks on the Gotthard route.

On other routes in the “Flachland” they pulled heavy freight trains.
During the eighties of the former century the Ae 6/6 however gradually disappeared from the Gotthard and its main task from then on was pulling freight trains in the lowlands .

HO Models

Most modeltrain manufacturers have or had a model of the Ae 6/6 in their program.As you may well know Märklin has build quite a few of them in various liveries.Also HAG has a multitude of Ae 6/6 models and collecting them may be a hobby in its own.

References

Loki Spezial Nr. 19 Die Legende vom Gotthard
Loki Spezial Nr. 29 Faszination Ae 6/6

Description of the HAG 11 025-32 Ae 6/6 Uri 11402

Running number 11402

Motor type Drum collector HAG Typ 88

Decoder ESU Loksound 3.5

Lights Yellow LED 3+1 Swiss lighting

Coupler NEM front and rear

This particular Ae 6/6 is, as some of you may know one of the prototypes which differs slightly in technical respect from later production models.

As may be expected from HAG, the model is very well made and shows exeptional attention to detail.The critical modeller may protest that it hasn’t got the prototopical colour of wiring on the roof and that the door configuration resembles that of a the later models.
For most of us I think this is of minor concern.

The model has the trusted Type 88 motor which resembles a Märklin three pole drum collector motor,however the HAG motor seems to be made according to the highest MIL SPECS there are,if you know what I mean.

The model drives smoothly on both K- and C-track .
I have checked its behaviour on slim turnouts thoroughly and it passed the test with flying colours.Slim turnouts especially K-track turnouts aren’t very forgiving, even for some of Märklins own locos as you may know.

The loc is equipped with a Loksound decoder and a rather large speaker,so the sound has more “body” than the sound of a comparable Märklin locomotive.

Description of the Märklin 37362 Schwyz 11403

Running number 11403

Motortype Drum collector with 5 pole rotor

Decoder Märklin sound decoder

Lights Yellow LED 3 + 1 Swiss lighting

Coupler NEM front and rear

This particular model is part of the locomotive set 37362

The 11403 was the first production model of the Ae 6/6 and put into service in december 1955.

The Märklin model is nicely detailed as well ,although it cannot withstand comparison with the HAG model in some aspects.The windowpillars on both the rear and front windows are painted on the plastic windows rather than being part of the bodyshell.
The wiring on the roof is prototypical orange however.

The Märklin model has the proven high efficiency 5 pole drum collector motor and the driving characteristics are excellent.Although also in this respect the HAG model has the edge over Märklin.

Why a description of a HAG loc on a Märklin enthusiasts forum you may ask.As most of you may know I’m equally fond of Märklin as I am of HAG.
And HAG being a manufacturer of rolling stock only,can’t go without essential items made by others.So an HAG AC model is bound to end up on a Märklin track.

For comparison I’ve posted some photos of the Märklin Ae 6/6s and the HAG Ae 6/6.

Which one is the best, everyone has to judge by his/her own.It’s a matter of taste I presume.
Märklin loks clearly show they’re made by a larger industrial organisation with access to more complicated production methods,while the HAG loks are largely made by hand.

UserPostedImage
HAG 11 025-32 above; Märklin 37362 below

UserPostedImage
Märklin 37362 Schwyz

UserPostedImage
HAG 11 025-32 Uri

UserPostedImage
HAG Uri with "Fahrberechtigungssignal" (red light below top third headlamp)

UserPostedImage
Märklins Schwyz

I hope you like the format of the loc description and that I didn’t annoy you with all the details.
The quality of the photos is not of the standard I had hoped for,too little light to begin with!. All of them have been brushed up a little with Apples Aperture.

edit: Some extra pictures of the HAG Ae 6/6:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline WelshMatt  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2008 01:52:10(UTC)
WelshMatt

Not boring at all - interesting to compare two models. I think I prefer the HAG one, but the Marklin chassis looks more solid and I prefer the Marklin wheels. It always seems to be a case of wanting to mix and match parts!
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline Troy Yang  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2008 02:42:54(UTC)
Troy Yang

United States   
I actually like the Marklin one better. It has a lower price and is a newer model (means more recent tooling and better details) than HAG's.
Marklin HO - all eras and everything.
Offline mmervine  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2008 03:04:49(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Guus:

Thank you! Very nice information. I like them both!

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline MarioFabro  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2008 04:11:38(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Great info Guus... I though my Ae 6/6 collection was complete but now.....
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline Macfire  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2008 04:30:15(UTC)
Macfire

Thanks Guus.
Not boring at all and interesting comparrison pics.
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline bmcrae  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2008 07:13:49(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Many thanks Guus! Just last night actually I was considering sending you an email as I was sure I read somewhere that you were expecting the HAG Ae 6/6 Uri at any time. Smile
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2008 07:46:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus
<br />

Furthermore the so called “Kantonsloks” have the characteristics chrome stripes.
Later “Städteloks” didn’t have these chrome stripes,and nowadays there’s a third variant with the Cargo Look.

A little more detail.
The first two prototypes (11401 and 11402) were delivered to the SBB in 1952. These loks, along with the rest of the first series (11403-11425) were decorated with chrome stripes on the front and a single brass band along the side. Additionally, each lok bore the crest of one of Switzerland's 25 Cantons. For this reason, these loks are referred to as "Kantonloks" (Canton Loks)* The Kantonloks had a larger swiss crest on the front ends as part of the stripe decoration.
Loks from the second series, delivered after 1955 (11426-11520) were not adorned with these stripes, and carried the crests of major cities and cities with a special connection to the railroads. These loks are referred to as "Staedteloks" or City Locomotives.
Currently, many of these loks are being repainted in the new Cargo livery. As such, the chrome stripes were removed and the crest was repositioned to the left side of the lok. It is still possible to identify the former Kantonloks, not only by their number Ae 610 103 to 125 but also by the larger swiss crest that is still carried on the end. An interesting note: The Roco model of the Ae 610 Cargo has the larger Crest, which is not correct for the lok number assigned to the model.

The Ae 610 are projected to continue to be in service until around 2014.

* The Ae 6/6 was not the last Canton Lok built by BBC (ABB). In the 1990s, several loks based on the Re 460/465 were sold to Asia and currently are used for Express trains in the Province of Canton (China).

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 27 May 2008 07:55:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
For those who don't model Swiss, the Ae 6/6 served as inspiration for many different international models. Loks with technology either taken from or inspired by the Ae 6/6 were used in countries like Romania (Class 60), Norway (Class EL14) and many others.
One of the telltale signs is the design of the bogies.

Romanian Class 60 and similar models are available from Tillig in HO
NSB EL 14 was available from Lima and I believe is still available from NMJ.

Regards

Mike C
Offline tekin65  
#10 Posted : 27 May 2008 10:08:06(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Guus,

Superb report and nice photos too.

Cheers,

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Guus  
#11 Posted : 27 May 2008 12:08:41(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Goodmorning Gentlemen,

I'm glad you like the concept.

@Matt: yes I agree it always seems to be a compromise!

@Troy:I agree,there is in fact a rather large price difference between the two of them,although I think it's fair to say that the HAG model has more metal parts and details which are not directly apparent on my pictures of the locos.

@Mark: I fell into that trap of wanting them all biggrin

@Mario:I know that you're a Swiss train model collector too.Time and again I'm amazed by the vast amount of Swiss models available on the market .Even a single model range of Ae 6/6s seems unlimited.

@Brian:Correct,I've been playing with a concept of a loc description for some time.
As a side note,this loc was sent to me from Switzerland.
Items sent from a non EU country are kept in bond for 4 weeks at Dutch customs. You'd almost suspect there are some MRR hobbyists among the customs officers.

@Cem:Glad you liked it.You have some nice HAG models yourself isn't it?

@Macca: I'm pleased that you like the description.Like I've said above I'm not too pleased with the quality of the photos myself and I'm currently busy making new ones.

@Mike C:Thank you Mike for the valuable added information.We all know you as an expert on Swiss railways and your input is much appreciated!
The" briefing" I gave was clearly a compromise between general information and a more detailed description of the locomotive.

Kind regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline tekin65  
#12 Posted : 27 May 2008 12:17:46(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />@Cem:Glad you liked it.You have some nice HAG models yourself isn't it?

Hi again,

Yep, I have the Re 6/6 articulated and a freight fleet of 6 cars.

The Hag freight cars will be pulled by M* BLS loco and Re 6/6 will pull my M* SBB freight set of 3 hoppers, 3 stake cars, 2 gondolas, and a tank car.

Do you have prototype info on Re 6/6 articulated, I couldn't find anything on the web.

Regards,

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline Guus  
#13 Posted : 27 May 2008 12:40:49(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Cem,

Unfortunately,I have no specific information on the Re 6/6 prototypes,other than a book I have on the Re 6/6 here at home.

There is a group of Swiss enthusiasts however with a website-partly under construction- on the Re 6/6:
http://www.re620.ch/

Also recommended is the LOKI Spezial # 20, a special issue of the Swiss magazine on the Re 6/6. Regrettably it's out of print.
If there's anything particular you want to know on the prototypes,I could look it up in my copy of the LOKI # 20 and send you the information.
Please contact me on my private e-mail address.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 27 May 2008 13:06:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks for the report and photos Guus, and for the extra details Mike. I've recently read an article on the Gotthard line, so it is interesting to find out about the locos that replaced the legendary 'Krokodils' and spent many years pulling trains on that line.

I have 2 Marklin Krokodils, and intend sometime to add an Ae 6/6 to my collection. I've been looking at the 'Luzern' from the 29680 Mega Starter set. I'm not sure how it compares to the other models you mention, but it seems to be readily available without having to buy the complete starter set.
Offline Guus  
#15 Posted : 27 May 2008 13:33:45(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David:
<br />Thanks for the report and photos Guus, and for the extra details Mike. I've recently read an article on the Gotthard line, so it is interesting to find out about the locos that replaced the legendary 'Krokodils' and spent many years pulling trains on that line.

I have 2 Marklin Krokodils, and intend sometime to add an Ae 6/6 to my collection. I've been looking at the 'Luzern' from the 29680 Mega Starter set. I'm not sure how it compares to the other models you mention, but it seems to be readily available without having to buy the complete starter set.

Hi David,

I have that particular model.

The "Luzern" is technically identical to the above mentioned "Schwyz" from the 37362 set.

As you may know already the Luzern is an example of the "Städteloks"
It has no chrome decoration.
I failed to mention that there are in fact more versions of the Luzern,the one from set 29680 you're speaking off has the chrome decoration of course,also see below in Lutz's post

Some purists don't like the green glare of the windows in this model.If needed they could be replaced by the windows from other Märklin Ae 6/6s which may be available as spare parts.
If I'm not mistaken Lutz described a procedure on that some time ago on the German language HAG forum.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 27 May 2008 13:55:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Guus.
Offline spitzenklasse  
#17 Posted : 27 May 2008 16:23:54(UTC)
spitzenklasse

I had a chance some years ago to buy a Fleischmann like this. It was metal too. I wish I had.
My Swiss Locs. now consist of an Re460 2000 (first series) hammo, a green croc (plastic version) hammo, and a brown seetal croc. a/c. I have only 3 swiss design coaches(roco), and a Migros car(roco). I have a Hupac rollend landstrasse (marklin).
The AE6/6 is handsome, and would look nice on a layout along with an RE4/4, of either first, or second, or third series. I like them in red. I see why SLM designed lower center of gravity into all of the swiss rolling stock, and Locs. (mountains) So, in my next life, I'll have one of each, and a Gottardo railcar set also.
Offline Hemmerich  
#18 Posted : 27 May 2008 17:55:26(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
As you may know already the Luzern is an example of the "Städteloks"
It has no chrome decoration.
Some purists don't like the green glare of the windows in this model.If needed they could be replaced by the windows from other Märklin Ae 6/6s which may be available as spare parts.
If I'm not mistaken Lutz described a procedure on that some time ago on the German language HAG forum.

Hi Guus,

very nice comparison report - many Thanks also from me! SmileSmileSmile

The "Luzern" with road# 11404 of the Mega-Set is actually a Kantonslok; IMHO you probably mean "Stadt Luzern", which has road# 11428 and was offered by Märklin in (two) different sets.

UserPostedImage

Yes, I did indeed replace the green colored front screens of my Ae6/6's by clear ones.

The HAG locos with the HAG88 motor are quite good runners with very good pulling power too; not only due to but well supported by the ball bearings for the rotor. Since their (recent) introduction of the new decoders and LED light pcb's, the HAG models are now as well equipped with modern electronics. One more difference to mention is that the HAG models are factory equipped with prototypical "correct" narrow SBB pantos, whereas Märklin uses wider ones for ease of operation (can be retrofitted with Sommerfeldt).

Both companies offer these models with a very high level of workmanship and quality, which can probably only be beaten by small series producers (with even way higher prices).

The ROCO Ae6/6 might be a (only slightly) less expensive alternative for some fans of this loco type; however I'd rate it corresponding lower in comparison with HAG and Märklin.

The (no longer manufactured) Fleischmann Ae6/6 was still the old "big scale" construction type; more comparable with the former Märklin models (#3050 etc.)
Offline pserup  
#19 Posted : 27 May 2008 21:11:33(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
Great topic Guus! Thanks for the info and the link to the Re 6/6 site Smile
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
Offline Guus  
#20 Posted : 28 May 2008 00:11:49(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Lutz,

Thank you very much for your contribution in this topic. I've clarified my statement on the "Luzern" in the original reply!

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:The HAG locos with the HAG88 motor are quite good runners with very good pulling power too; not only due to but well supported by the ball bearings for the rotor. Since their (recent) introduction of the new decoders and LED light pcb's, the HAG models are now as well equipped with modern electronics. One more difference to mention is that the HAG models are factory equipped with prototypical "correct" narrow SBB pantos, whereas Märklin uses wider ones for ease of operation (can be retrofitted with Sommerfeldt).

Yes I agree. Also the narrow pantos are very nice.

There's one thing worth mentioning I think and that's a funny thing about my copy of the HAG Ae 6/6 model. Its driving behaviour wasn't as good as with my other HAG models.
After some digging in my old ESU documents and the friendly help of a HAG forum member-there was no reference to be found on the proper CV values in the accompanying documentation- I could change the relevant CVs to the proper value and it runs perfectly now!

Hi Per,

Glad you liked it!

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 28 May 2008 04:30:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hi Cem,

You can try here for more info about the Re 6/6:
http://www.lokifahrer.ch...komotiven/SBB-Re_6-6.htm

http://www.gotthardbahn....hichte/KAP10/kap10-3.htm

or here:

http://modellbahnen.cado...&id=65&Itemid=61

Unfortunately, all are in German.
You can translate the pages by going to http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
(Note: This service has been taken over by Yahoo and is not operated by Altavista anymore.)

Regards

Mike C

Offline tekin65  
#22 Posted : 28 May 2008 09:54:41(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Guus, Mike,

Thanks for the links, they were much helpful.

Regards,

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline lokbraz  
#23 Posted : 29 May 2008 10:24:07(UTC)
lokbraz

Hello all,

I have yet to see a Ae6/6 from Hag in person. They are not very common models in California/Bay area. I think one the main reason is price. I own a Kantonlok from one of mega swiss starter set it has a MFX/Loksound decoder. It performs and sounds really great. Would it be too much of wishful thinking if M* would realease more popular models such BR103 and Re460 with MFX/Loksound decoders too.

One more thing about this comparison. I have no idea how much the HAG model costs but I am sure that doesn't beat the EUR 160 that I paid for my M* biggrin.

Ed
My ancestors came from the land of rising sun. I was born in South America. Spent time in Europe. Now I live in California.
So, I am a builder of south american brass models. I read about the railroads on the Sierras. But I play with Marklin and have best time with my Marklin peers. wink
Offline Guus  
#24 Posted : 29 May 2008 12:20:43(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Ed:
<br />Hello all,

I have yet to see a Ae6/6 from Hag in person. They are not very common models in California/Bay area. I think one the main reason is price. I own a Kantonlok from one of mega swiss starter set it has a MFX/Loksound decoder. It performs and sounds really great. Would it be too much of wishful thinking if M* would realease more popular models such BR103 and Re460 with MFX/Loksound decoders too.

One more thing about this comparison. I have no idea how much the HAG model costs but I am sure that doesn't beat the EUR 160 that I paid for my M* biggrin.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Congratulations on your new Ae 6/6.That's a very good price you payed I think.

Relatively speaking,there aren't too many HAG locos around here in Holland as well .There's far more Märklin,TRIX and Fleischmann around than any other brand.

One thing I specifically left out was a comparison in price. There's a clear difference between them in the advantage of Märklin.

Kind regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline mike c  
#25 Posted : 30 May 2008 03:24:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by lokbraz
<br />Hello all,

I have yet to see a Ae6/6 from Hag in person. They are not very common models in California/Bay area.

Hello Ed,

There was a guy named Cees Feith. I believe that he was from the SFO area (Burlingame CA). I think that he was importing Hag at one point.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Troy Yang  
#26 Posted : 31 May 2008 05:50:27(UTC)
Troy Yang

United States   
Actually I saw Talbots in San Mateo carrying one. Also I knew a few Bay Area ETE members have it.

Trust me, price is NOT a deterrent.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by lokbraz
<br />Hello all,

Ed
Offline Troy Yang  
#27 Posted : 31 May 2008 05:53:11(UTC)
Troy Yang

United States   
Never mind - wrong post.
Offline steventrain  
#28 Posted : 31 May 2008 13:32:20(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good, Guus.

I only have 37361 as well.

http://steventrain.fotopic.net/p50473005.html
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline mike c  
#29 Posted : 01 June 2008 05:37:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hag just sent out an email announcing that several new Ae 6/6 models have been delivered to stores in Switzerland this week. Consult roundhouse.ch for a full list. You can sign up for the Hag Email Blasts at hag.ch.

Models include:

Kantonlok
11414 Green
11414 Red
11414 Red with "FEE" Inscription (Special Edition)

City Lok
11446 Bellinzona Green
11446 Bellinzona Red

also new Re 460 and Re 6/6 models

Regards,

Mike C
Offline Guus  
#30 Posted : 02 June 2008 15:47:12(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Very good, Guus.

I only have 37361 as well.

Nice one Stephen!Technically the same as the ones from the 37362 set.
It's already out of production with Märklin.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Guus  
#31 Posted : 02 June 2008 16:00:42(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />Hag just sent out an email announcing that several new Ae 6/6 models have been delivered to stores in Switzerland this week. Consult roundhouse.ch for a full list. You can sign up for the Hag Email Blasts at hag.ch.

Models include:

Kantonlok
11414 Green
11414 Red
11414 Red with "FEE" Inscription (Special Edition)

City Lok
11446 Bellinzona Green
11446 Bellinzona Red

also new Re 460 and Re 6/6 models

Regards,

Mike C

Hi Mike,

It's nice to see that HAGs model of the "Bern" has the prototypical different secondary spring system just like its example.
BTW also Märklins copy of the Bern is true to its example in this respect.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus