Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Will  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2007 20:37:38(UTC)
Will

United States   
I am curious if there is any rail transport of olives and/or olive oil. I studied in spain and would love to add some sort of consist with olives or olive oil (my plans for layouts are not prototypical, as the aforesaid olive train probably will pass along a German train and then an American or Swiss train. Anyway, I assume oil just goes in tankers (and goodness knows mixed with what in certain countries). Can't find anything on internet and figured maybe Spanish members might educate me.

Sorry for the odd question, but once it got into my head I could not let it go.
Offline Zora la rousse  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2007 20:55:43(UTC)
Zora la rousse

My gamble, it is not much different like this:

https://www.marklin-user...amp;SearchTerms=wine,car
You are never too late to become a Märklin fan.
Offline orubias  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2007 21:52:59(UTC)
orubias

Spain   
What a nice idea, Will. Look at electrotren.es

Actually they don´t have nothing similar, but maybe you can find older wagons around the net that can accomplish your wishes. I have also a "non prototipycal" freigth with Tio Pepe, Bodegas Bilbainas, etc (spanish wine&spirit brands).

Try also with Paya, Jyesa, Ibertren, Roco.

Suerte, Will.

Band on the run
Offline alonso231gery  
#4 Posted : 11 September 2007 22:22:57(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Olive oil in Greece is too precious to be carried by that way, although we are among the greatest olive oil producers.
In my farm house i have 40 olives that produce only 200kg every year.
And if olives are collected earlier so as to have premium olive oil, the quantity is even less.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline Will  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2007 02:19:16(UTC)
Will

United States   
Thanks for the input!!

orubias, I want to get some spanish wine cars too. My dream consist would likely have spanish olives and wine, some German or Dutch beer, some Swiss chocolate, American soda, and French & Italian cheese. A sort of "Heart Attack Express".
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2007 04:03:34(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally said by Olive Oyl:

"You keep your hands to you - you, you, you...that's what you are!"

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Will  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2007 04:11:55(UTC)
Will

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally said by Olive Oyl:

"You keep your hands to you - you, you, you...that's what you are!"

Per.

I think THAT Olive prefers traveling by sea. I could use Popeye and Bluto to help lay tracks though.[:p]
Offline orubias  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2007 20:26:16(UTC)
orubias

Spain   

Band on the run
Offline tekin65  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2007 21:46:33(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
hello there,

living in the country that produces over 60% of the world production (yep, that's true - the ones you are buying in your groceries as "Italian" or "Greek" olive oil is actually product of Turkey) I join Alonso, olive oil never gets transported with trains; because there's no such large sums to transport. In Turkey most export leaves the production area (West coast) by lorries to be loaded to ships leaving for Greece or Italy. From there on I suppose buyers take care of transport by themselves - mostly land I presume.

one other reason why olive oil cannot be transpoted with trains is that the best way to keep olive oil fresh and keep it from degradation is to keep it in earthenware (very large pots) which are really fragile. this may also give you an idea if you like to build a fictious car.

regards,

cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline alonso231gery  
#10 Posted : 12 September 2007 22:03:01(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Hello cem, i am afraid i cannot agree with you, the olive oil that we see at groceries named as Greek is actually Greek.
Greece is one largest oil producers in the world, does not need to import olive oil from another country, i believe Spain is the largest producer.
Turkey does not produce such great quantities, Turkey produces less than 30% of Greece's production.
Source: UNCTAD based on data from the International Olive Oil Council (IOOC)

http://www.unctad.org/infocomm/anglais/olive/market.htm
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline john black  
#11 Posted : 12 September 2007 23:07:39(UTC)
john black

United States   
Impressive ...
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Will  
#12 Posted : 12 September 2007 23:53:44(UTC)
Will

United States   
There was a facinating story about olive oil in Italy quite often being of foreign origin - esp. Turkey. Bigger concern was adulteration of it with other stuff/oils and still being called "Extra Virgin". Did not know so much $$$$$ in that business, and in Italy apparently there is some significant corruption concern.
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#13 Posted : 13 September 2007 00:24:08(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   

About the oil-tank car, look at this pic.

UserPostedImage

A Oil convoy by the Sasso firm in the "Oneglia Port" near Imperia.
I don't know when it was taken, but coul be in the '30-'40
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline alonso231gery  
#14 Posted : 13 September 2007 00:35:44(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
One of my favorite months is November when we collect the olives and send them to olive press, all the region smells of olive.
I enjoy putting some bread under the faucet of the oil press, it is very tasteful.
An outsider.
Offline Will  
#15 Posted : 13 September 2007 03:02:04(UTC)
Will

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by almagik
<br />
About the oil-tank car, look at this pic.

UserPostedImage

A Oil convoy by the Sasso firm in the "Oneglia Port" near Imperia.
I don't know when it was taken, but coul be in the '30-'40

Cool. Thanks!!
Offline laalves  
#16 Posted : 13 September 2007 05:32:15(UTC)
laalves

Just to add a bit of fire to the discussion, Portugal appears to be the smallest of the biggest producers, according to alonso231gery's link.

So, I heartily assume the title of "smallest of the biggest" biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin!!!!

Thank you gentlemen, for your applause!

BTW, I tasted many a brand of fine spanish, italian and greek olive oils, and guess which one is my favourite? The Portuguese, of course ....biggrin

Read also this extract:

"Another reason why you can't trust extra virgin olive oil is exemplified by a problem that manifested last year, and may turn out to be the biggest food fraud of the 20th Century. Despite the fact that details of this scandal have been published in Merum, a Swiss-German magazine, and in Italian journals such as Agra Trade, and the newspaper Gazzetta del Mezzogiorno, this information has been successfully suppressed and is known to only a handful. Investigators are gathering evidence indicating that the biggest olive oil brands in Italy have for years been systematically diluting their extra virgin olive oil with cheap, highly-refined hazelnut oil imported from Turkey. International arrest warrants have been issued and so far documents indicate that at least ten thousand tons of hazelnut oil are involved. As much as 20% hazelnut oil can be added to olive oil and still be undetectable to the consumer. In fact olive oil labeled "Italian" often comes from Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco, Spain, and Greece."

Source: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/oliveoil.html

Luis
Offline jonquinn  
#17 Posted : 13 September 2007 05:46:22(UTC)
jonquinn

will the oilive oil company be called Genco Importers?
Offline Larry  
#18 Posted : 13 September 2007 10:05:56(UTC)
Larry

United States   
I heard that the state of Vermont in the USA produces the most olive oil in the world, or is that maple syrup?

Actually, I think it is the Dutch who produce the most olive oil but these are people from the Netherlands who are living in olive-oil producing countries like Greece, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Vermont and New Hampshire.

The Dutch are everywhere.
Offline tekin65  
#19 Posted : 13 September 2007 10:07:31(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by alonso231gery
<br />Hello cem, i am afraid i cannot agree with you, the olive oil that we see at groceries named as Greek is actually Greek.
Greece is one largest oil producers in the world, does not need to import olive oil from another country, i believe Spain is the largest producer.
Turkey does not produce such great quantities, Turkey produces less than 30% of Greece's production.
Source: UNCTAD based on data from the International Olive Oil Council (IOOC)

sorry alonso, i've been wrong.

cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline foumaro  
#20 Posted : 13 September 2007 10:15:46(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Olive oil and wine is God's blessing.biggrin
Offline alonso231gery  
#21 Posted : 13 September 2007 12:20:52(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Hello cem Smile, no need to apologize, we just have a friendly talk.
Travelling around to all olive oil production areas, i never met a Dutch, yetbiggrin.
But in my area we have many.
An outsider.
Offline john black  
#22 Posted : 14 September 2007 01:12:41(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jonquinn
<br />will the oilive oil company be called Genco Importers?

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline alonso231gery  
#23 Posted : 14 September 2007 01:33:54(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
I believe that Portugal does not produce much olive oil, because it is a bit north.
Nothern Greece does not have olive trees too , cause olive trees cannot grow in a cold climate, thet are too sensitive.
I produce oil (not for commercial use, just for me, for my friends and for my family) and it is excellent and pure.
What i like to eat is melted olives.
An outsider.
Offline laalves  
#24 Posted : 14 September 2007 01:56:57(UTC)
laalves

You mean crushed olives? I love them too, with crushed garlic, coriander leaves and salt.....
Offline jonquinn  
#25 Posted : 14 September 2007 06:35:39(UTC)
jonquinn

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />
Quote:
<br />will the olive oil company be called Genco Importers?

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

I'm glad someone understood the reference. must not be any movie enthusiasts here. If it still eludes you, check it out in wikipedia.

well if no one can come up with any prototypical photos or references of how the stuff was transported, why not make your own car or two (with the Genco lettering - a must, I think). Use some old style marklin or roco (maybe some other brands) of boxcars (era II), would be great if they had sliding and you could have a little scene with the 5 gal tin containers being loaded into the cars.

Just because rachel ray sells her EVOO in plastic or small glass bottles doesn't mean you have to show it that way on your RR. I'm pretty sure one of the local (and fairly large) italian food importers, DeLallo's, sell it in the 1 and 2.5 gal rectangular cans, maybe bigger sizes too.
Offline alonso231gery  
#26 Posted : 14 September 2007 13:49:04(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
It crossed my mind Jon, in fact i thought of Don Ciccio.
Southern Italy has many Greek people that were there for more than 2500 years, although they have been latinized they use a greek dialect.
Archimedes was one Greek-Sicician. If you want to search for more, google the world Magna Graecia.
An outsider.
Offline hgk  
#27 Posted : 17 September 2007 07:44:29(UTC)
hgk

Which era is this one:
UserPostedImage
Offline MärCo  
#28 Posted : 17 September 2007 10:15:49(UTC)
MärCo

Photoshop 0.0 (I guess wink).
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline jonquinn  
#29 Posted : 18 September 2007 03:09:16(UTC)
jonquinn

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hgk
<br />Which era is this one:
UserPostedImage

was this a real special issue in Z?

I also looked a little on Yahoo for photos of era I and II italian railroad photos, but no luck, just to see what some of the frieght traffic looked like. I'm sure just doing search in english language restricted number of hits.
Does any one have any links to historical photos of this era? (mostly for italy for this topic - but any european railroads would be interesting to check out)
Offline Will  
#30 Posted : 18 September 2007 04:03:43(UTC)
Will

United States   
send that picture to Marklin. I think a new model is in order!
Offline spitzenklasse  
#31 Posted : 26 June 2008 03:49:12(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Yes, Michael Corleone and Hyman Roth would be proud!
Offline DTaylor91  
#32 Posted : 26 June 2008 08:32:24(UTC)
DTaylor91

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hgk
<br />Which era is this one:
UserPostedImage

was this a real special issue in Z?

I also looked a little on Yahoo for photos of era I and II italian railroad photos, but no luck, just to see what some of the frieght traffic looked like. I'm sure just doing search in english language restricted number of hits.
Does any one have any links to historical photos of this era? (mostly for italy for this topic - but any european railroads would be interesting to check out)

Funny, a very similar idea ran through my head as I was reading through this thread earlier, especially cem's comment about the earthenware pots. We can get glass tank cars, why not clay olive oil cars?wink

Oh, one more thing, I hope this thread ends soon, because it's making me hungry! And there's olive oil (good enough to cook with, no more than that though), but no fresh-baked bread, and no parmesan reggiano cheese. [:(][:p]

Don Taylor
Offline kimballthurlow  
#33 Posted : 26 June 2008 11:25:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
We Australians really don't care who the biggest olive oil producers are, because when we get serious, we will be the biggest.
We are as I speak, maturing plantations at Inglewood, Kingaroy and elsewhere, geographic names that will enter the agricultural history books soon enough.[:I]

And because we have no hazelnut industry here, there is no danger of contamination. We do of course produce the original macadamia nut, a native of Australia, so we will no doubt release a "splendid blended" version that will decimate the olive oil industries of the old countries.Smile

We do of course require Dutch workers, as they are everywhere.

regards
Kimball Thurlow
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline DTaylor91  
#34 Posted : 27 June 2008 08:40:32(UTC)
DTaylor91

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />We Australians really don't care who the biggest olive oil producers are, because when we get serious, we will be the biggest.
We are as I speak, maturing plantations at Inglewood, Kingaroy and elsewhere, geographic names that will enter the agricultural history books soon enough.[:I]

And because we have no hazelnut industry here, there is no danger of contamination. We do of course produce the original macadamia nut, a native of Australia, so we will no doubt release a "splendid blended" version that will decimate the olive oil industries of the old countries.Smile

We do of course require Dutch workers, as they are everywhere.

regards
Kimball Thurlow

No hazelnut industry? Whatever do you guys do for getting a hold of Nutella???[:o)]

Don Taylor
Offline nevw  
#35 Posted : 27 June 2008 10:53:48(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DTaylor91
[No hazelnut industry? Whatever do you guys do for getting a hold of Nutella???[:o)]

Don Taylor

Go to the Supermarket and buy a Jar. Probably made in China.
Nbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline xxup  
#36 Posted : 27 June 2008 14:33:12(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Nutella!!!! We are Australians we eat Vegemite!!!!! [^][^] Nutella indeed.!!! Real Australians would never touch the stuff... That's goat food... [:(!]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline grr_1954  
#37 Posted : 27 June 2008 16:42:47(UTC)
grr_1954

hello,

There is an olive oil "Koype" wagon from Electrotren, cód. 1453:

http://www.todocoleccion.net/va...ja-a%C3%B1os-70~x7278457

The biggest producer of olive oil is Spain, and the best olive oil is spanish. Period. Smile

Regards from Cádiz, Spain (Very good extra virgin olive oil, the romans favorite, search for "Olvera", "Setenil", towns in the Sierra of Cádiz.)

Gerardo Rivero,
San Fernando, Cádiz, Spain.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#38 Posted : 28 June 2008 01:05:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Gerard, a real interesting wagon.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Will  
#39 Posted : 29 June 2008 04:14:19(UTC)
Will

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by grr_1954
<br />hello,

There is an olive oil "Koype" wagon from Electrotren, cód. 1453:

http://www.todocoleccion.net/va...ja-a%C3%B1os-70~x7278457

The biggest producer of olive oil is Spain, and the best olive oil is spanish. Period. Smile

Regards from Cádiz, Spain (Very good extra virgin olive oil, the romans favorite, search for "Olvera", "Setenil", towns in the Sierra of Cádiz.)

Gerardo Rivero,
San Fernando, Cádiz, Spain.

Thanks for the link! I really want to have some olive oil transports on my future layout. Should go along nicely with German & American models! biggrin Think of a nice Era III German loco pulling a Southerns Railways boxcar and some olive oil containers.

I wish I could be in Cadiz now. I studied briefly in Sevilla, but did not get to Cadiz.[V]
Offline Macfire  
#40 Posted : 30 June 2008 04:56:05(UTC)
Macfire

Great topic.
Now I just gotta get some wagons, both olive oil & wine – then FD who loves both will give approval for a consist of same. [:p]

Alonso: Love the idea of melted olives, gotta tell that one to Leah.
Alberto: Love the picture gives a nice idea

BTW:
When OZ finally produces OO, it will be contaminated with Macadamia.

Nutella = Goat food without doubt!!!
Vegemite = OZ.
Marmite = NZ.
Bovril = Lord Macca showing his Scottish heritage! Smile

Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.