Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goldenboy_  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2007 23:44:05(UTC)
Goldenboy_

I just got a starter set and finally set it up. The train runs fine (except for the darn couplers on the engine), but when I hook it up to the Delta box, the train only goes one speed and one direction.

What am I doing wrong?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2007 00:11:04(UTC)
H0

Some Delta locos come preset for analog mode - when set on a Digital or Delta layout they run fullspeed forward.
For further advice I need to know the article number of the set.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jocoyn  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2007 00:28:52(UTC)
jocoyn

Two of my delta locomotives were from a Delta startset and were set to analog operation when I got them (Neither one was in a two train set just a one train set, but one did come with a Delta controller) Anyway - if you follow the link on the left side of the page to Digital Corner, and go to Digital Info, you can find an article about Delta addresses.

There are several levels of Delta - mine had 4 DIP switches, but there are older ones set with solder and newer ones with more switches. It is very easy to open it up and see / change the address though you may need a magnifying glass amd a small nail something similar. and you just move the sliders accordingly.

I think you need to run with the Delta box if you are running more than one train at the same time - then they cannot have the same address but must have a "Delta" address. WIth the Mobile station you can give the train any allowable addrss (once again no two trains should have the same address)

I think the article will help.
Nancy - slowly Building Southern Appalachians USA mountain layout
Offline Goldenboy_  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2007 02:11:05(UTC)
Goldenboy_

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by h-zero
<br />Some Delta locos come preset for analog mode - when set on a Digital or Delta layout they run fullspeed forward.
For further advice I need to know the article number of the set.

The Starter Set Number is 29536. Any help would be appreciated.
Offline jocoyn  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2007 02:35:41(UTC)
jocoyn

I can confirm that is one of the start sets I have and that the train was set to analog when I got it. That particular train has the 4 pin dip switch and it is VERY easy to change (I did have to wear my reading glasses hehe but I am over 50).

Use the link in the "Digial Corner", change the dip switches to "78" and run it as a steam loc with your Delta controller box. If you get a 2nd steam loc - you can give it the address for a diesel or electric or, better yet get a starter set with the Mobile or Central station and you can use any available address.

The Delta can run up to 4 trains (5 with the Delta Pilot) but the addresses are very specific. The new Mobile station can run even more (but not simultaneiously due to power limitations) and the Central Station [or the older digital system] even more and can do other things like control turnouts. The Marklin Systems have changed a lot over the past few years.

While you have the boiler off, (simple one screw operation) you may want to oil the train with Marklin oil - this set was produced a number of years ago (I think 2000-2001) and mine definitely needed oiling and ran a lot quieter after I did. The little book with the engine tells you where to oil it, but was not real clear - I did the little spongy looking things, the gears, and the wheels and wiped off any excess [and did not use a lot of oil]. You have to get the Marklin oil from a Marklin dealer and it is cheap. Others may have other suggestions.

The telex coupler takes some REAL getting used to and you may have to play with the height of it. There are some threads on that too.

Offline Goldenboy_  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2007 03:19:01(UTC)
Goldenboy_

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jocoyn
<br />I can confirm that is one of the start sets I have and that the train was set to analog when I got it. That particular train has the 4 pin dip switch and it is VERY easy to change (I did have to wear my reading glasses hehe but I am over 50).

Use the link in the "Digial Corner", change the dip switches to "78" and run it as a steam loc with your Delta controller box. If you get a 2nd steam loc - you can give it the address for a diesel or electric or, better yet get a starter set with the Mobile or Central station and you can use any available address.

The Delta can run up to 4 trains (5 with the Delta Pilot) but the addresses are very specific. The new Mobile station can run even more (but not simultaneiously due to power limitations) and the Central Station [or the older digital system] even more and can do other things like control turnouts. The Marklin Systems have changed a lot over the past few years.

While you have the boiler off, (simple one screw operation) you may want to oil the train with Marklin oil - this set was produced a number of years ago (I think 2000-2001) and mine definitely needed oiling and ran a lot quieter after I did. The little book with the engine tells you where to oil it, but was not real clear - I did the little spongy looking things, the gears, and the wheels and wiped off any excess [and did not use a lot of oil]. You have to get the Marklin oil from a Marklin dealer and it is cheap. Others may have other suggestions.

The telex coupler takes some REAL getting used to and you may have to play with the height of it. There are some threads on that too.

Thanks for the tips.

So to change the Delta, do I just take off the cover and tinker with some (hopefully) obvious controls?

Also, any suggestions on the couplers? Sometimes I can't get the thing to change up and down, sometimes I can't get the rolling stock to hook up. It's quite maddening.

My wife got me the train set as a Christmas gift (I never had a train, ever, before), and I was a bit leery with the whole Marklin thing because I was afraid I would be a complete moron in trying to figure it out --- which has turned out to be the case. But the guy at the hobby store said Marklin trains are great, and hopefully once I get past the learning curve, that will be the case.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2007 03:58:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Goldenboy, welcome to the forum.

Yes, just take the cover off your engine, and adjust the switches on the decoder to whatever address you select. The bank of switches is commonly referred to as a 'mouse piano' as there will be about 4 switches that look like the keys of a minature piano. As Nancy suggests, there are only 15 addresses that a Delta decoder can use - see http://www.pallund.dk/deltaadd.htm for details of what the settings are.

Re your couplers, the best thing you can do here is buy a 7001 coupler gauge, which is a tool for setting the correct coupler height above the tracks. Your dealer should have one, or be able to get one, and it should cost about $5 - $10.
Offline jocoyn  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2007 04:29:43(UTC)
jocoyn

I was imimidated at first but it is not that difficult - the Marklin is a nice product and much easier than an American DC set that needs special wiring for turnouts and loops, which Marklin does not. The Marklin trains are more fun in that they stay on the tracks very well. They run very well and are quite durable.

The route I gave you (don't know how to make a hyperlink to a spot in the articles section on this site) tells you the 4 addresses the Delta controller can use as it cannot use all 15. Once you get into it you will want to do more and you can figure out what you want to do.

If you get into it and want to do serious modeling of American trains, there are limits as Marklin does not produce many American Models.

There are some good, if outdated, articles that I have used a LOT on this site.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2007 18:52:25(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />As Nancy suggests, there are only 15 addresses that a Delta decoder can use - see http://www.pallund.dk/deltaadd.htm for details of what the settings are.

The number sounds like the BR 86 starter set. If so, this loco has Telex coupler and 8 address switches.
Only switch 1 has to be on for a Delta steamer.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jocoyn  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2007 19:08:11(UTC)
jocoyn

Hmmmm .......... mine only had 4 address switches, but does have reversing lights and telex. It was definitely in a box of that number.

OF course I bought it on ebay for $95 a few years ago so there could have been some creative switching .............
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2007 20:05:06(UTC)
H0

Quote:
<br />Hmmmm .......... mine only had 4 address switches, but does have reversing lights and telex. It was definitely in a box of that number.
OF course I bought it on ebay for $95 a few years ago so there could have been some creative switching .............

Sorry - probably that was my error. I have an 29537 that came with a Delta Control 4f (120V equivalent is 29538, not 29536). It seems M* upgraded the Delta Control and the loco decoder for the newer package.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jocoyn  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2007 22:05:55(UTC)
jocoyn

Mine came with the 6604 controller and the 32VA transformer and not the 66045 4f controller. I think sets of the same number could have come with either one as I have seen others advertised with the 4f and they went for more on ebay.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 30 January 2007 11:47:14(UTC)
H0

Quote:
<br />Mine came with the 6604 controller and the 32VA transformer and not the 66045 4f controller. I think sets of the same number could have come with either one as I have seen others advertised with the 4f and they went for more on ebay.

6604 is correct for your 29536 package; the 66045 came with the 29538 package.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TTRExpress  
#14 Posted : 31 January 2007 17:19:40(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Using the Delta System:

To check the settings of the Delta decoder remove the locomotive housing and you will see the green colored decoder near the motor. As far as I can recall the switches are all set to "0", which means that your loco will only work in analogue mode. The instruction booklet for locomotive maintenance that came with the starter set should give you the correct setting. If not then just contact your Marklin dealer. I have a listing of all the appropriate Delta codes and cand provide them if you wish. Use a magnifying glass or magnifying lenses and a small screwdriver or tweezer to gently move dip switches to proper settings.

Telex couplers as suggested by other expert users here do need to be slightly adjusted for good operation.

Hope you have success and all the best in your endeavors.
Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
Offline TTRExpress  
#15 Posted : 01 February 2007 06:49:54(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
continuing on the subject of Delta system:

The Delta system was the first digital introduction by Marklin. There are 4 code settings for the 4 coding switch decoders with the Delta 4f as follows:

Steam loco: 1--- (one is on and 2,3,4 off)
Diesel loco: 12-- (one and two on, 3, 4 off)
Rail bus: 1-3- (one and three on, 2,4 off)
Electric loco: 1--4 (one and four on, 2,3 off)

If you have the Central Unit and a control 80f, 6021 Control Unit, or even the newer Marklin Systems Central Station then you can select up to 15 addresses with the 4-coding switch Delta decoder for 15 locomotives. The addresses are listed in the respective users manuals.

If you replace your 4 coding switch decoders to the 8 coding switch then you can set up to 80 locomotive addresses.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Cool
Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
Offline metpo  
#16 Posted : 22 February 2007 08:37:05(UTC)
metpo

I just bought a second hand delta starter set... the swiss one with the Ae 3/7..but delta seems strange (I never used it)
Only the train from the starter set can run while using delta control..my other digital locs cannot run when using delta control..
I think delta is not really so good when you do not know it that good....but anywyas the delta control will be used later as a booster for CS or so..
And also, the control f4 button functions for the light: it does not work..how to do this?
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#17 Posted : 22 February 2007 09:07:55(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Not true. Any Märklin digital loc can run, provided you can set the correct addresses.
The light is another issue. I don't know what you mean with "control f4 button", and not if you have a delta control which handles light or not. But normally there are problems using light with Delta; most Delta locs have automatic light (on when running), and digital locs light can't be controlled with older Delta controls.

/Lars