Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pmgsr  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2006 17:11:33(UTC)
pmgsr

Hi there.

I promissed on another post to talk about a new layout, well this is what i'm looking forward to build in the following months (please read years :-).

UserPostedImage

The trackplan can still have great problems making the trains running up and downhill - colors are representing differente layers.
I already tested on the floor (without bridges and tunnels, of course) and all tracks join perfectly.

As you can see i have a central station (also that CS :-) at the center and a counrty station at the top/left.
I'll have a coal station and a turntable at the left - followed at the top with a barrage/river - do you know of any barrage kit?

At the right/top, all that curved track, will lie under a great mountain (i see now that i din't put the tracks as belonging to a tunnel, sorry!).

What do you have to say about it? Very Bad? Useless? What else? :-) ... feel free to insult me (well... no, because the webmaster wouldn't like it).

About the central station i thought on Baden Baden from Vollmer (lots of space for it) but i keep seeing this station on "all" layouts :-)
I thought, also, in Kibri 9366 with a similar warehouse (also from Kibri).

Thanks for your time.
Pedro Rosa.
Linda-a-Velha / Lisbon, Portugal.
My Layout (Marklin, C-Track, Digital)
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2006 17:22:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Nice plan with plenty to keep you busy.
Regards your station I am not keen on Baden Baden by Vollmer and would go for one of the Faller stations. They have a good selection and lots of platforms and accessories to go with them.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2006 17:48:35(UTC)
Goofy

I can see here that you don`t have plenty space of distance in height.

It`s very hard work for the tracks and climbing up and or down for the trains too...! [:0]

Goofy
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline pmgsr  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2006 18:00:57(UTC)
pmgsr

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: It`s very hard work for the tracks and climbing up and or down for the trains too...! [:0]

Yes, i think mainly on the top/left... that turnout after the station sould probably be removed (along with the track to the right side).
Pedro Rosa.
Offline intruder  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2006 18:22:03(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Nice layout, you certainly use the space good.

But, in my opinion (and Goofy's, I see), you need some pretty steep grades up and down, for instance from your station area and up to the turn table and from under the station and up to the right.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline jocoyn  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2006 18:50:27(UTC)
jocoyn

It is hard for me to visualize clearances yet from trackplans posted as I am still new to this, but I know I received a similar comment on my own, found it to be true and was able to fix it.

Also my tracks also DID fit when perfectly when laid out but I noticed that the ramps do seem to change the x-y dimensions of a whole layer somewhat considerably which makes sense (for me that was about an inch over a 10 foot length).

With your test did you make ramps and bridges out of books, etc. to see how the trains run? I did as I had a steep grade in one section of 4.6% and wanted to make sure the train would pull it.
Nancy - slowly Building Southern Appalachians USA mountain layout
Offline HueyCE  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2006 01:57:24(UTC)
HueyCE

It's a neat plan, not overly crowded, unlike mine. As the others have you may have some problems with your grades. As a rule of thumb, but certainly not by anymeans written in stone, for a 4% grade you will need about 13 24188/24130s to achieve a 10cm change in height. In Wintrack the steigungen prüfen/steigung berechnen option in the extras menu is a great tool to figure out your grades.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline pmgsr  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2006 15:48:57(UTC)
pmgsr

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:It's a neat plan, not overly crowded, unlike mine. As the others have you may have some problems with your grades.

Yes, as "Intruder" and "jocoyn" have also said, that's something i must work before laying down tracks.
It's not overly crowded because even the right side will be under a montain... i think that it should make a nice layout, with plenty space for trains but also for other contructions - including a Faller Car System, over and under the top layer.

I don't thing i can fit it, but have you guys any info on a nice "trams" system that could be fitted in a layout? (as i said, i think that's not possible in this one, but...).

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: In Wintrack the steigungen prüfen/steigung berechnen option in the extras menu is a great tool to figure out your grades.
Ira

Yes i know that Wintrack have a lot of good stuff about grades, etc... but i'm still learning all the features.
Pedro Rosa.
Offline bellejt  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2006 20:44:06(UTC)
bellejt

Great plan but you will have many problems with the difference in height.I think your trains will never run well because the grades need to be to high.Why not start the entrance to the turntable from the left side of the station below the track.
Greetings,salutations,groeten
Offline MartinB  
#10 Posted : 30 December 2006 21:04:02(UTC)
MartinB

Hi!

I like much of the trackplan, but I have a few points to make:

-I miss a shadowstation. The first layout I built as a grownup has much in common with your idea, even though it was much smaller. It was great for running trains, but there were nowhere to "hide" trains. There were too many trains in a too little space, I also got tired of taking trains on and off the layout all the time in order to get some variation.

-The grades are too steep as I see it, but it can probably be done technically. How it will look optically is a different thing. Models such as the 37550 will slow down significantly when going uphill. You will also probably have trouble with the BR86 and BR38 among others. If you still go for the steep grades I would lay the track very carefully and adjust before you cover the track. I would also investigate every opportunity to "cheat" and minimize the distance between the levels.

-The station is a bit short and will probably look a bit small together with the Betriebswerk.

-I look forward to that bridge! It will look awesome biggrin I miss the bridge I had on my old layout. You will get yourself a real gem of a "Paradestrecke" there! [:p][:p]

If I were you I would consider to keep the original idea and maybe develop another trackplan from a simplified version of the first.

Best regards MartinB

Märklin Systems
K-track and C-track
Deutsche Bundesbahn Ep.3
Offline HueyCE  
#11 Posted : 31 December 2006 02:41:59(UTC)
HueyCE

If you need any help with the WinTrack program feel free to ask, we can answer those questions as well.

With the "Steigungen Prüfen" just click on it, a box will pop up asking you what the steepest grade you want to have. Enter the number and click OK. It will then tell you how many tracks exceed that grade and they will be highlighted in red.

With the "Steigung berechnen" once you clicked on it a box will pop up with boxes for inputting the length of the section of track, the percentage of grade, and the amount of height you want to achieve. Only put information into 2 of the 3 boxes, click on the berechnen next to the empty box and that will be calculated for you. For example: You want see how much track you need to gain 10 cm in height over a 4% grade. In the "Steigung(in %)" box you put a 4, in the "Höhengewinn(in cm)" box you put 10. Click on the berechnen button next to the "Streckenlänge" box and it will tell you you will need a 250 cm long stretch of track to achieve that.

Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline drstapes  
#12 Posted : 31 December 2006 12:35:11(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Hi Lovely plan but I don't think your locos will be able to get up the slope to your turntable. you need about 10 pieces of track for a gentle grade.
regards
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline efel  
#13 Posted : 01 January 2007 11:51:32(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

My personnal taste:
-The station track should be long enough for a steam loco + 4 passenger coaches.
-A shadow station is almost mandatory (and always too small).

Designing a track plan is a great part of the fun. I personnaly made more than 50 trials with Wintrack.

Have fun

Fred
Offline pmgsr  
#14 Posted : 09 January 2007 12:56:01(UTC)
pmgsr

[quote
-A shadow station is almost mandatory (and always too small).

Hi guys!

Thanks for all the support and sorry for this absent days...

Following your comments, i can tell you that i'll have a shadow station, i just don't put it on this picture so i could be more clear to see the visible parts.
It's going to be an underground "normal" shadow station, but i'm searching this forum for some related issues and problems others have found before making the final design.

I'm working on all those slope problems. On my tests i found that there are really some problems to be solved.

Regarding the station, i just don't know what to choose (between those two)... but i think that it's just a personnel problem i have to solve :-)

Thanks.
Pedro Rosa.