Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline laalves  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2006 00:49:04(UTC)
laalves

Keeping up with the shadow station development and testing, I have now discovered a "but": my 37606 BR602 has four traction tires in the motorised bogies.

When thrown in at speed into a siding, the first bogie (which is motorised) will trigger the contact track easily and reliably, with no failures, which in turn activates half a Viessmann 5552 to cut power to that siding and also triggers the access switch point. However, when I reset the relay, the contact track will not be actuated by the motorised bogie wheels, unless I lateraly and slightly hit the BR602 in the front, restablishing contact in the contact track. The traction tires are insulating the wheels, preventing contact.

Have anybody encountered this issue? It only appears to happen with the BR602, so far.

Luis
Offline Tdl  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2006 10:50:18(UTC)
Tdl

Netherlands   
A simple mechanical solution is to modify the contact track such that also the wheel flanges make contact.
I have done this with K-track.
When desired I can show a photo.
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2006 13:19:48(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
@Tdl; I would be VERY interested in that photo, please?!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline laalves  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2006 18:58:58(UTC)
laalves

Ah! Please do post a picture or send me an email, you can find my address in my profile page.

Luis
Offline Tdl  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2006 08:26:35(UTC)
Tdl

Netherlands   
The flange contact is a shaped piece of rail. Two lips hold it in place and establish the electric contact. It is secured in position by a blob of epoxy glue on the sleepers.
I do adjust flange contacts for 1,2 mm flange height. Pls notice that older marklin wheels have higher flanges.

Disadvantage of the flange contact is that the wheel is lifted from the head of the rail. Hence there is adhesion loss and chance for derailments at higher velocities.
I use the flange contacts in tailtracks; there the velocity is low.
Where higher velocities are allowed, I use infrared for precise train detection.

Also flange contacts bounce. The controlled circuit should be able to handle that.

[img][/img][img][/img]

Hm, inserting pictures appears to fail. laalves and hxmiesa, I will mail the photo's directly to you.
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2006 12:21:42(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Thanks, I have received the photos.
That´s a very clean job you have done! It looks even prototipical ;-)

En practice, what is your experience with derailments?

Also, I would like to know why didnt you just cut one side of the tracks, instead of going through all that trouble??? I mean, is it SO important to detect the very first wheel that enters the section??? (other wheels without traction tires will eventually enter a normal contact-track, and give the feedback.)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Tdl  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2006 14:16:16(UTC)
Tdl

Netherlands   
Henrik,

my standard method for train detection is to isolate a rail segment (by cutting and filling the cut with epoxy bound), and connect this segment to a detection circuit, i.e. digital decoder.

However wheels with rubber traction tires do not make reliable contact. On many marklin loc's all wheels of a truck have rubber bands. This results in a variation in the moment of detection depending on which side of the loc is running ahead.

On my layout I have installed a flange contact in addition to a isolated rail segment in locations where this variation is critical. Actually that is on all tailtracks, as I want computer operated trains to halt at the very end of the track, without hitting the track stop, i.e. 1-3 model meters before the track stop.
Offline diesel  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2006 12:11:30(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Tdl
could also email photo to me via my profile page.
I am just experimenting now and it certainly is solving the rubber tire problem.

Thanks
Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Offline diesel  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2006 14:05:34(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Thank you
Photos received and its working really well. Certainly makes computor control more acurate.
Just waiting now for ECOS to allow computor hookup.!!

Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
Offline antrains48  
#10 Posted : 28 November 2006 15:46:09(UTC)
antrains48

Hello Tdl,

Could you please email me the photos of the flange contact too.

I am not using any decoders to such an isolated segment. Could you guide me on which decoders will accept a detection signal from such a contact track segment and not burn out due to the extended actuation. In some cases in my layout, the extended stop for a loco over such a segment is about 1-3 minutes. My layout is K Track.

Thanks

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Tdl
<br />Henrik,

my standard method for train detection is to isolate a rail segment (by cutting and filling the cut with epoxy bound), and connect this segment to a detection circuit, i.e. digital decoder.

However wheels with rubber traction tires do not make reliable contact. On many marklin loc's all wheels of a truck have rubber bands. This results in a variation in the moment of detection depending on which side of the loc is running ahead.

On my layout I have installed a flange contact in addition to a isolated rail segment in locations where this variation is critical. Actually that is on all tailtracks, as I want computer operated trains to halt at the very end of the track, without hitting the track stop, i.e. 1-3 model meters before the track stop.
Offline rschaffr  
#11 Posted : 28 November 2006 16:19:39(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Why not post them on the hints and tips? I'm sure many of us are interested in your solution.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Tdl  
#12 Posted : 29 November 2006 11:50:25(UTC)
Tdl

Netherlands   
Pictures can only be shown if they reside on a public webserver where you can access it via a direct http-link.

I do not dispose of such a server.

Are there other ways to share images on this forum ?
Offline rschaffr  
#13 Posted : 29 November 2006 15:16:25(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Yes. You can upload them to this site. See https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=1067
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html