Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BillJ  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2009 19:31:28(UTC)
BillJ

Six months ago you all helped me thru some beginner issues as I reentered the Marklin world. Have figured out most complications along the way, but a signal issue so far has me mystified.

One part of my analog operating system is a track with a turnout, and 7039 signals to allow two trains running in opposite directions to alternate on the loop. For extended periods it works just fine. Then a signal will stick in the green position, usually when someone is visiting, of course. It has produced a few spectacular collisions.

The 5146/5147 control tracks seems to be working well, and I have carefully cleaned and tightened the signals.

The currently offending signal is not broken, it just sticks in an open (green) position from time to time. Is this something I ultimately just have to live with as long as I stay analog, or do those of you with extended analog experience have a solution? The Marklin service manual and other sources have helped with a lot of issues, but not this one.

Thank you.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BillJ
Offline drstapes  
#2 Posted : 23 December 2009 00:00:09(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
hi,
Yes ,well I don't have a solution but I have had the same problem on my analogue layout. I regret I never really solved it. You have identified the 2 potential problems the signal and the contact rail.Both can be tested seperately. The signal being mechanical can stick if the grey platic signal motor cover is displaced or the movable metal plunger that goes into the solinoid gets dirty. Just moving this several times can help or light cleaning with a cotton wool bud soaked in some cleaning fluid can do the trick. I never liked these contact rails as I found the centre movable stud that is moved by the engines slider often sticks flat and none of my fiddling has made them 100% reliable. In fact for contact rails I used the older m track with the isolated outer rail as having no moving parts it was reliable.
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline aos  
#3 Posted : 23 December 2009 12:31:34(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Hi Bill, welcome back to the Marklin wonderland. You do not say whether the 7039 signal is new or used. I will assume that it is used. I was extremely fortunate just recently. I discovered a firm which was selling the 7188 Light Home Signal. It operates the same way with the solenoid action. I was able to buy 31 of these signals and they were all brand new. What is more, I paid only 9.90 Euros each for them. 30 years ago, I paid at least 35 DeutscheMarks for them. Thirty of them worked perfectly. The remaining signal had a fault. I live in Scotland and it was not worth returning the signal to Germany where I had bought it.

Anyway, the bit that will interest you. I traced the problem down to the sliding contacts on the side of the signal. One of the contacts was not providing enough pressure to guarantee a decent contact. Therefore, although the signal in my case would show a red light, it would allow the train to pass as though it were set at Green.

Remove the cover and check that all these slider contacts are in fact providing sufficient pressure. There are four, two on each side. A little bit of bending of the slider is all that is needed to increase it and hopefully, it should cure the problem.

Take a look at page 7 of the Marklin Signals Manual (I can't remember the catalogue number offhand, so follow the link http://www.marklin.com/tech/ and see the Signal Manual on the right hand side iof the screen below the loco. I hope this helps. Alan
Offline BillJ  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2010 13:07:11(UTC)
BillJ

Hi Geoff and Alan,

Thank you both for very helpful responses to my request for assistance. I apologize for not acknowledging sooner, but a problem arose that kept me offline and totally away from my layout until just now. Losing the trains proved harder than having to stay away from the computer!

I removed the plastic cover to be able to observe signal performance while the train is running. Alan, I think that you may be right that the problem is with the sliding contacts in this case; I have begun tinkering to see if that is the case. And yes, you are correct that the signals are used.

Geoff, my current layout does not require that the contact track differentiate the direction the train is traveling. Therefore, I reversed the plastic trip mechanism so that the end being used is the round end, not the one that is half flat. Thus modified, the contact tracks operate fine. Don't know if it would work for you, but it might.

Again, my appreciation to you both for very helpful responses.

Regards,

Bill