Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2009 16:56:52(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you has encountered this problem with his/her CS2. A warning message appeared on my screen this morning after I turned on my CS2:

"you cannot operate solenoid items and run your trains at the same time"

Needless to say, that the speed dials did not have any effect on the locomotives.

Does anyone know why this happened? Could it be a bug in the newer software version?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline eduard71  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2009 17:15:34(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi Armando,
My CS2 was working fine until yesterday, it showed me an overload problem and the horrible smoke came out and then it just stop working, [:(] I have no idea of what happened!. It will have to go to Germany this week for repair. I still have my MS and my intellibox, so I will still have fun with my trains until the CS2 returns.

In your case, did you reset the unit? be carefull with any connection.

Regards
Eduardo
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2009 18:29:26(UTC)
Goofy

I have an question to you:
What kind of transformer do you use for CS2...?

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Armando  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2009 19:49:03(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi Eduardo,
Sorry to hear about what happened to your CS2. Could it have been an overload caused by the frequent blackouts that CCS is experiencing lately ("thanks to you know who")? I did check the connection. Actually, I use a surge protector (here in Houston) to keep the CS2 safe from overloads. I always shut it down before turning it off. I'll check again tonight.

Hi Goofy,
I'm using the recommended new transformer 60055, I believe it is the number.

Thanks!
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2009 21:15:31(UTC)
Goofy

Good!
It´s very important to use marklin´s transformer at 52 or 60 VA!
Nothing else more than that!

H0
Offline rbw993  
#6 Posted : 24 November 2009 00:19:49(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi All,
It appears that I have a different problem. My touch screen won't work with the stylus. I can't calibrate it either. It works fine withe a mouse. Hate to take it off line to send it in but looks like I will have to.

Roger
Offline Armando  
#7 Posted : 24 November 2009 04:15:02(UTC)
Armando

United States   
The warning comes up again tonight. It reads:
"There is no track format processor available. You cannot run locomotives and control accessories with this unit"

Only the Gods know what it is.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline nevw  
#8 Posted : 24 November 2009 07:29:10(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Armando
<br />The warning comes up again tonight. It reads:
"There is no track format processor available. You cannot run locomotives and control accessories with this unit"

and possibly LH (but subject to removal and change)
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline supermoee  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2009 11:37:14(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello Armando,

sorry to hear this.

Your CS2 has to be send in for recovery. TFP failures can be fixed only by Märklin. The boot-loader of the TFP went mad. This is a problem with the first Hardware Version of CS2 which may happen. After fix from Märklin this will not happen anymore.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:It´s very important to use marklin´s transformer at 52 or 60 VA!
Nothing else more than that!

Hello Goofy,

you can use all the transformer you want, even a 90VA from ESU or a 70VA from Viessmann or even a 120VA. Important is that the output tension of the transformer is the same than the Märklin ones.

rgds

Stephan
Offline Armando  
#10 Posted : 24 November 2009 17:02:18(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by supermoee
<br />Hello Armando,

sorry to hear this.

Your CS2 has to be send in for recovery. TFP failures can be fixed only by Märklin. The boot-loader of the TFP went mad. This is a problem with the first Hardware Version of CS2 which may happen. After fix from Märklin this will not happen anymore.

rgds

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your input. I will write to my dealer in order to handle this matter. I run my trains every weekend, and sure enough, every weekend there is a new issue with some electronic component. My CS2 should still be under warranty.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline supermoee  
#11 Posted : 24 November 2009 17:11:50(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello Armando,

this issue is well known at Märklin. They will repair it for free even without warranty. It is not your fault that this occurred.

It seems that Murphy was thinking about you when he issued his law.

rgds

Stephan
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 24 November 2009 19:04:01(UTC)
Goofy

Quote:

Really...?
If there is GOD,then in case who did created GOD...???
Please...don´t write religion in this forum!

H0
Offline Armando  
#13 Posted : 24 November 2009 22:01:16(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by supermoee
<br />Hello Armando,

this issue is well known at Märklin. They will repair it for free even without warranty. It is not your fault that this occurred.

It seems that Murphy was thinking about you when he issued his law.

rgds

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Well, I've checked with my dealer about the way forward with this matter. It seems that Märklin will not repair my CS2 (60213), but will want to replace it with the new 60214. It's supposed to be company policy. But it is not for free. Maybe in Europe it is. The cost for the upgrade (even if it's because of a faulty 60213, still under warranty) is about $120.0 plus shipping, natürlich!
Of course, the end user always pays!

Notwithstanding, I will reinstall the software version tonight and check if this solve the bug.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Armando  
#14 Posted : 24 November 2009 22:02:30(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Goofy
<br />
Quote:

Really...?
If there is GOD,then in case who did created GOD...???
Please...don´t write religion in this forum!

C'mon Goofy, knock it off, will you? (snälla du!)
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline davemr  
#15 Posted : 25 November 2009 00:22:38(UTC)
davemr

Armando. Send back to your dealer for a free replacement or your money back. I dont know about the USA but that is what would happen here in the UK.
Asking for a customer to pay to obtain a controller which was faulty is just not on.
The fact that you would get a 60214 should make no difference to an upgraded 60213.
My contract is with the seller (legally) and I have no interest in Marklin and their warranty. Why should you even pay postage to send it back ??
You also say you have problems every time you run your trains ???
I have had my 60213 for over a year and no problems and it is the same with all my Marklin. If I had your probs I think I would be buying another manufacturers stuff.
This is not a cheap controller and it should be made properly in the first place.
With all these so called 'known problems' no wonder nobody wants to buy M. as a firm.
Let us know how you get on and what service you get from both your dealer and Marklin.
davemr
Offline nevw  
#16 Posted : 25 November 2009 00:36:32(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Armando,
you are getting the short end of the stick with this and the item is still under warranty. Another example that even if mr Pluta wants to expand Marklins market share outside Germany they still have no interest in their existing Customers outside Germany.
Great way to retain customers.
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline mmervine  
#17 Posted : 25 November 2009 03:19:04(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Armando...you need to insist on getting a replacement unit at no cost to you.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Armando  
#18 Posted : 25 November 2009 04:37:32(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Thanks to all for your input.

I tried reinstalling the last software version in the defective 60213, as recommended. Even after the message "update successful", the same warning appeared ("There is no track format processor available. You cannot run locomotives and control accessories with this unit"), and the speed dials are dead.

I will take this matter up with my dealer tomorrow again, but will try to fight with Märklin (Walther's, I believe?) to get my defective 60713 repaired or exchanged for a brand new 60214 for free, as it is still under warranty. Hopefully, I won't have to bite the bullet this time again.

I'll keep you posted about the outcome of this horror story.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline davemr  
#19 Posted : 25 November 2009 12:53:05(UTC)
davemr

I still dont understand why the dealer is not replacing the unit.
davemr
Offline Armando  
#20 Posted : 25 November 2009 15:57:11(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by davemr
<br />I still dont understand why the dealer is not replacing the unit.

The dealer will replace the unit alright, but for an extra $120. This is supposed to be Märklin's policy. They won't repair a defective 60213, but replace it for the new 60214 for that extra cost, even if the item is still under warranty. How can you possibly fight this one? The option, I guess, is to get a credit for what you paid for the 60213 and go back to the 6021 control unit. There is no free lunch with Märkllin.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline gachar001  
#21 Posted : 25 November 2009 16:36:07(UTC)
gachar001

India   
I think it is absolutely rediculous that you would have to pay $120 for no fault of yours. If the 60213 is not manufactured anymore, it is not your problem. The manufacturer needs to replace it with an equivalent unit which is the 60214 in this case.
If I were you, I would fight for getting a free replacement. You may want to contact Walthers and M* directly.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Armando  
#22 Posted : 25 November 2009 16:52:53(UTC)
Armando

United States   
For all interested, I copy "in verbatim" what my dealer explained in connection with Märklin's warranty policy on defective 60213, so be prepared:

"In all honesty, there is nothing (or anyone) to fight here. You are, of course, welcome to contact anyone at Walther's or Märklin, but you will find that this is indeed the policy on this unit".

Well it seems that customers in North America will have to bite the bullet (as usual) with Märklin. I mean, if this happens when the company is still up and running, I wonder what will be left for us when the company is belly up next year?
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline jeehring  
#23 Posted : 25 November 2009 17:35:21(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
<br />I still dont understand why the dealer is not replacing the unit.

...(...).... There is no free lunch with Märkllin.

...with Marklin or...with Walthers ?
Offline rschaffr  
#24 Posted : 25 November 2009 17:38:43(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Armando...I would certainly contact Marklin service directly on this and not just take the word of your dealer. We have a few active (and ex-) dealers in the forum. What is your perspective on this. I find it quite disturbing. Of what value is the warranty then?
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Armando  
#25 Posted : 25 November 2009 17:45:20(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />Armando...I would certainly contact Marklin service directly on this and not just take the word of your dealer. We have a few active (and ex-) dealers in the forum. What is your perspective on this. I find it quite disturbing. Of what value is the warranty then?

Apparently, the only option is to have a "credit" for the money you paid for the 60213. That means going back to my 6021, or wait until there is some sale on the 60214 someday. I have already written to Walther's and will write to Märklin in Germany as well. Will be posting the answers I'll get for you guys to see.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline rschaffr  
#26 Posted : 25 November 2009 20:55:57(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Almost enough to make me change brands. I see their responsibility t make you "whole" as the lawyers like to say which means putting you in the state you were at the time of your purchase with no responsibility for further money outlay by you. With the decreasing Marklin quality I have been considering selling off my M stuff (except for a few sentimental favorite from the 70's) and moving to N scale. With the space I have imagine what I could do in N!
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline davemr  
#27 Posted : 25 November 2009 21:23:03(UTC)
davemr

I do not understand why you continue to talk about Marklins warranty. You bought your CS from a dealer not Marklin. Is the law different to that in the UK.
Here it is an immediate refund from the dealer.

You did not buy the unit from Marklin but from your dealer. If you are going to send it back to Marklin then why bother buying from a dealer. These so called dealers get their profit for doing nothing but handing you a box.
davemr
Offline rschaffr  
#28 Posted : 25 November 2009 23:46:19(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
The warranty card that is included in each Marklin item ( or was...I haven't bought anything lately) is from Marklin warranting their product., not the dealer. It is the manufacturer that is ultimately responsible for the quality and serviceability of the product during the stated warranty period. The dealer may act as the agent for the manufacturer, but the responsibility is the manufacturer's. The dealer did not produce the item and is not responsible for lack of QC, he is just the poor guy stuck in the middle trying to retain a relationship with a customer dealing with a faulty product.
-Ron
Offline davemr  
#29 Posted : 26 November 2009 00:27:23(UTC)
davemr

Hi Ron In the UK we are covered by the Sale of Goods act. Our contract is with the retailer. The retailer buys from Marklin and our contract is with him as the seller of the goods. We have the choice of a full refund or replacement from the retailer who then returns the goods to the manufacturer where he bought them for his credit.I would not wish to send my TV back to Japan or my faulty printer back to China where it is made. lol
I would however like to sell in the USA and pass a box to my customer for a good profit then say goodbye and if you have a problem send it to the manufacturer.
Model rail dealers here are excellent and refund or replace immediately.But then they have no choice. Marklin warranty cards are just thrown away.
No wonder Marklin have problems when they have to deal with the public with whom they have no contract.
Having said that the only faulty item I ever had from Marklin was from Lokshop and they sent me a replacement loco in four days. Not a mention of going back to Marklin.
If I had to wait for months and also pay toward a replacement I would not be buying in the USA or I think Australia who have a similar problem and no protection against being sold faulty goods.
We just has a problem with our washing machine and phoned the retailer who sent an engineer the same day with spare part to fix it. The shop carries nearly all spare parts etc and saved me posting the washing machine to China lol. IF they had not been able to fix it I would have had a full refund.
Probably because I am aware of our consumer laws I have no problems but I understand how in other countries it must be most annoying.

Armando I feel sorry for the time and cash your are spending to obtain satisfaction in respect of a faulty item and it may be worth considering buying elsewhere.
davemr
Offline rschaffr  
#30 Posted : 26 November 2009 00:37:49(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Davemr..In spite of the fact that your law requires the dealer to fix your problem, the dealer will then have to deal with the manufacturer. I agree that a dealer no matter where SHOULD make the fix easy for the customer then deal with the company. That is just good business practice. In this case, if Marklin is, in fact, reneging on their warranty responsibilities then your dealers are in a no-win situation where they have to absorb the difference. That is not good for anybody.

Let me relate how the warranty worked on things I produces as an OEM producer to Mack Trucks. If a truck owner had a problem with a wiring harness on his or her truck, they just had to go to the nearest authorized Mack service center and it was replaced free of charge if it was still within the warranty period. As far as the truck owner was concerned that was the end of the transaction. The authorized service center would then return the item to Mack with an explanation. If the engineers at Mack determined that it was a manufacturing defect, not a fair wear and tear failure, it would come back to me and I would have to reimburse Mack for the part. For the ultimate customer, none of this was apparent.
-Ron
Offline Armando  
#31 Posted : 26 November 2009 00:46:55(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Here's the reply from Walther's (I'm still waiting to get a reply on my email to Märklin in Germany):

"The 60213 has been discontinued and replacements are not available. The
defective unit can be returned to the Marklin factory for repair, which will
entail several months. You are not required to pay additional monies.
The dealer may have offered you the upgrade option, to save time".

Notwithstanding the above, I think that I will opt for the upgrade to 60214 (offered to me by my dealer)because I don't wish to wait an eternity for the defective 60213 to be repaired (if it ever gets repaired given that Märklin could unfortunately go belly up next year).
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline rschaffr  
#32 Posted : 26 November 2009 00:55:12(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I see. So they do honor the warranty but are in no hurry to satisfy your needs. Thanks for the clarification, Armando. Given the time frame, I probably would also opt for the upgrade in that situation.
-Ron
Offline supermoee  
#33 Posted : 26 November 2009 11:38:19(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello Armando,

I wonder about the answer you got. I know at least 2 people, who became the 60123 repaired after this problem.

This problem is a software problem. The bootloader of the TFP went mad and need to be resetted ba Märklin service. At hte same time it will be mofdified so that that will not happen anymore
With new hardware Versions of 60123 this cannot happen anymore since the TFP is linked in a different way.

And there are more cases of them in the stummi forum. Some of them got the bootloader resetted, some of them got a 60124 for free.

So please insist, someone is telling b*****t to you and want to earn money.

rgds

Stephan
Offline davemr  
#34 Posted : 26 November 2009 12:58:41(UTC)
davemr

Hi Ray. I agree that here it is not good for the retailer as he is out of pocket until the manufacturer gives him credit for the faulty item. However he does make a profit on his sales and has to accept some hassle.Interesting to note that almost no model shops here will sell Marklin because of problems they have with the firm. However Roco is popular and my local Roco dealer is happy to deal with them. If only Marklin would follow suit.

I agreee with Stephan that Armando is not being fairly treated here and this appears to happen when the customer is outside Germany. Hopefully new owners (if there are any) will change this.
Regarding the motor industry our law here is different and a Car etc can only be rejected within a very short time and thereafter will be repaired by the motor dealer.
davemr
Offline Armando  
#35 Posted : 26 November 2009 18:44:00(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi guys, I may have no choice here. As per Walther's reply, the 60213 can be repaired in Germany alright, but it could take forever. Apparently, there is no question of getting an exchange for 60214 for free. Anyway, I'm still waiting to receive an answer to my email to Märklin Service Centre in Germany. I don't suppose their answer will be much encouraging because they already told me in the first place that this matter would be handled by Walther's over here.

So, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet if I want to continue operating my trains with a Central Station.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline davemr  
#36 Posted : 26 November 2009 20:52:23(UTC)
davemr

Marklins service is just a disgrace here. They have not replied to your email and if you do send it back it will take forever. Meanwhile your dealer does nothing.
If it was me I would go to Lokshop and buy and ECOS then send the 60213 back to Marklin and sell it when it comes back. I would not be buying anything else from the dealer that sold you the 60213.
I know most may not agree with my views but if I dont get decent goods and service then my business goes elsewhere.
davemr
Offline jeehring  
#37 Posted : 26 November 2009 21:07:11(UTC)
jeehring

Marklin Service after sales, here in France/on the continent, is considered to be the most serious of all train manufacturers,and it is true. I really don't understand what I'm reading here, such comments are somewhat surprising...
Offline rschaffr  
#38 Posted : 26 November 2009 21:29:48(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
No surprise to those of us at the bottom of the food chain. It has been clear for a few years that Marklin does not consider the North American market very important to them. Maybe it isn't, but it could be if they would put the effort into developing it. Walthers has too many more important (to them) interests to really be interested in this currently marginal market
-Ron
Offline nevw  
#39 Posted : 26 November 2009 22:47:48(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Ron, It is not only the North American Market that is not important to Maerklin but anyplace outside the EU.
AS LH said, in another topic, we are not "Suited" to own any of the magnificent Maerklin products most likely as we complain about lack of service or slowness (or lack of) of warranty. Now that is a no no. you do not complain and should accept the low level service when it is available.. Not all dealers are cast in the same mould but have to work inside a faulty and flawed system.
Nev

Offline Armando  
#40 Posted : 16 December 2009 18:12:23(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Well, finally, at long last, I received a confirmation from the Märklin Service Center in Göppingen that my damaged 60213 Central Station (still under warranty) can be exchanged at no cost. However, the saga has not ended yet for me. I'm still awaiting an answer from my dealer/Walther's on the way forward.

Here's the original text from Märklin:

Sehr geehrter Herr Garcia,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Die Central Station 60213 kann im Garantie-Service-Fall kostenlos getauscht werden.
Gerne können Sie die Central Station 60213 zusammen mit einer kurzen Fehlerbeschreibung und Kopie des Kaufbelegs auch direkt an unseren Reparatur Service senden.

Die Anschrift lautet:

Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH
Reparatur Service
Stuttgarter Straße 55 - 57
D-73033 Göppingen
Germany

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ihr Märklin Kundenservice

Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH (i. Ins.)
Kundenservice
Postfach 960
D-73009 Göppingen
Telefon +49 7161 608-222
Telefax +49 7161 608-225
E-Mail: Service@maerklin.de
Internet: www.maerklin.de
2M2W

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#41 Posted : 22 December 2009 12:16:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />Hi Ron In the UK we are covered by the Sale of Goods act. Our contract is with the retailer.

The situation is the same here. The NZ Sale of Goods Act says that product sold by retailers should be fit for the purpose for which it was purchased for. If it's a washing machine, then it should wash clothes, if a MRR controller, it should control trains. If it fails to do that then it is up to the retailer to fix the problem. End of story as far as the customer is concerned.
Offline davemr  
#42 Posted : 22 December 2009 12:32:23(UTC)
davemr

Hi Big D Nice to know another country has the right idea. The end customer should not have to deal with a manufacturer. Problem here with Marklin is I have to buy from Germany anyway but at least it is better and faster to deal with Lokshop thna wait months on Marklin doing something.
Hopwever to be fair to M I really , so far, have had very few problems.
davemr
Offline Webmaster  
#43 Posted : 22 December 2009 23:16:36(UTC)
Webmaster

As I read M's mail, you will get a new unit if you send it in directly to their repair service with a purchase receipt copy and a short error description. I wouldn't blame M for a bad service attitude. Unfortunately the dealer & distributor seem to have their own ideas of handling things...

I would opt for a return directly to Germany, don't know the postage cost though, but it must surely be less than $120...

You would probably get a new 60214 unit since they indicate it will be swapped for a new one.

The hassle seems to be in Walthers/dealer part of the food chain.

If this type of trouble happened to me, I would buy from German Internet dealers instead.
But wait, I do that... Wonder why? "Been there, done that..." is the answer.
Still favor a Swedsish shop too for some items since they have good service...Cool
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Armando  
#44 Posted : 23 December 2009 01:26:16(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi Juhan,

I'm still waiting for Walther's to let me know what the way forward is going to be. I had to ship the item there. They're very busy this time of the year, so I don't expect to hear from them before sometime in January (if I am lucky). In the meantime I am using the Control Unit...
Best regards,
Armando García