Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zand 1985  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2005 20:20:00(UTC)
zand 1985

When putting my "C" track together sometimes the tabs which make the female part of the track snap off. And i am being very carefull. I thought it might be because it was too cold causing the track to be more brittle. so i left if in a warm place for a couple of hrs. but some times it still does it.

Has this happened to anyone else?
student moddeler,just starting out
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2005 20:25:50(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Unfortunately it happen with some old sets of C tracks.
There are a lot of people that sell these items on ebay... play attention please.[:(!][:(!][:(!]
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline zand 1985  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2005 20:40:50(UTC)
zand 1985

Is it a problem just with older track then? Ie has the newer stuff been redesigned?

or do you mean it becomes brittle as the plastic ages.
Offline jte  
#4 Posted : 17 December 2005 20:52:36(UTC)
jte

Has happend to me also. You can see the production date on the "date clock". Mine was molded 02/98. Plastics get brittle with time so it is hard to say if there has been any change in material.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Juha
Offline Doodlebug  
#5 Posted : 17 December 2005 21:02:24(UTC)
Doodlebug

Hello!

I have had this same problem with my c-track and was about to ask the same question if others have it too. The Märklin catalogue claims that c-track is robust and can be put together and taken apart often. A dealer told me to send the faulty track to Märklin and they should replace it. My first track broke when it was around only three years old.

Mikko
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 17 December 2005 23:44:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
There is a related but more important issue with the plastic stud that you screw into to mount the point/turnout solenoid/motors. Never overtighten the screw. Even then the chances are that the plastic will crack the next time your screw into it (e.g. replacining a faulty solenoid/motor for whatever reason)
Peter
Offline svgeorgiad  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2005 00:23:51(UTC)
svgeorgiad

Greece   
Experienced same problem several times. However I can not say if the tracks that broke were the ones I bought from Ebay or from ym Maerklin Dealer.
Anyhow I would expect more robust construction by Maerklin.
The option to replace is a bit tricky for my case since I need to ship faulty tracks from Greece to Germany and it will cost me several times more than buying new C-tracks. The other option I have is to wait until tenths of C-tracks break and arrange a larger shipment to Goeppingen or even fly to Stuttgart and do some shopping while at the same time I deliver the broken tracks to Goeppingen for replacement!!!
Symeon Georgiadis
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2005 00:57:23(UTC)
Webmaster

Seems like the plastic ages, or is affected by the environment climate, and goes a bit brittle. Probably a case of vaporizing plastic softener agent.

This has been discussed earlier, and since your track is from 98 it contradicts that only the earliest batches of track were affected. Kind of worrying, the only thing to worry about with the old M track was rust...

I have several C-tracks that cracked also in the ballast when we dismantled my son's layout last year. We were ever so careful, but it happened anyway... That track was from 96. When I use that track for temporary layouts, it is a rule to find small pieces of plastic on the floor...

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 18 December 2005 04:53:48(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
MMHMHMHMHM, come here Adrian, it seems that the pre Christmas drinks have loosen the tongues of these C ¿track? owners..........
Long live to good old M's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They shall be around long after these plastic thinhgs break apart.

BTW, with proper handling not even rust is a problem, i have lost only 2 pieces of track after my floodwink
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 18 December 2005 05:36:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Seeeeeee I told ya so..... 40 years and not one busted M Track tab.... Better go buy some more in the new year - the price is bound to go up once this news gets out... C track is going the same way as all my old plastic Hornby/Triang tracks... Brittle and rusty...

M Track roooooooooolllllsssss (rules - for those a little lost with my OZ-English) .......

[^][^][^][^]
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline HueyCE  
#11 Posted : 18 December 2005 07:10:05(UTC)
HueyCE

Just like Juhan I always have some plastic laying about after disassembly of a C-track layout, but it still works the next time I put it together so I not a major complaint on my part.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline zand 1985  
#12 Posted : 18 December 2005 13:28:58(UTC)
zand 1985

"A dealer told me to send the faulty track to Märklin and they should replace it."

I was thinking of writing to Marklin and seeing if i got any joy? and may be sending just one of the smaller pieces as an example. Though i'm sure they will have heard about this problem before!

It's more annoying than any thing. i know it still works when these tabs break but when they do the track comes apart really eaisly, (too eaisly). I thought the whole point of the design of this track is that you can take it apart regularly (ie it is suited to users with tempoary layouts)? Obviously it's fine if the track is permantly down on a board, but at the moment mines not which is why i purchaced £120.00 worth of it.

It's the kind of thing you'd expect to happen of a lesser manufacturer.

Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 18 December 2005 15:21:19(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Used C track for several years. No breakages and most certainly no rust. Great running qualities (just try anything else and compare)
Not as good looking as M track or K because of the preballast but I like my Locos to run well and not stick on points. Also hardly ever needs cleaned.
How many pieces have you broken?

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline zand 1985  
#14 Posted : 18 December 2005 15:54:17(UTC)
zand 1985

there's prob tes to fifteen pieces. luckly none of them are points.

But im with you on those good points you made about the c track.
Offline Hoffmann  
#15 Posted : 18 December 2005 16:05:15(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi all,

To find out what your Problem with the C-Track is you need to check a piece of # 24188 if the Track has no B and O moldet in the Track it is from early Production from Marklin and this Track can break( I should say will break ) since the plastic is not the same as in the present C-Track.
The good thing is this Track will still work as well as the new C-Track (except maybe for Carpet-Layouts).
Dealers have been known to sell C-track on Ebay from old Start-Sets without telling you ( shame on them ).
For those of you who have this C-Track I recommend using thes pieces on a permanent Layout they will work fine for a long Time.

Martin
marklin-eh
Offline jte  
#16 Posted : 18 December 2005 17:48:19(UTC)
jte

My 24188 has the B & 0 marking and is molded 10/98, and yes it is broken. In fact my both (2 pcs) broken tracks are made in 1998.
But still I consider the C-tracks the best in the world so far.

Juha
Offline zand 1985  
#17 Posted : 18 December 2005 18:03:19(UTC)
zand 1985

where will i find the code 24188?
Offline jte  
#18 Posted : 18 December 2005 18:27:54(UTC)
jte

It is the track's part number (24188 = 188mm long).

UserPostedImage

Juha
Offline zand 1985  
#19 Posted : 18 December 2005 18:41:58(UTC)
zand 1985

yes, i have 8 21488's that have broken both with and with out the "B" & "o" moldlet's on them. I also have 12 curves of vairying lengths that have done the same thing. all the track was purchaced at the same time. and all the straights state "97" on the date clock.

So was the material changed/altered to rectify this issue? and if i invest in some more new track i shouldnt have the same problem.
Offline orubias  
#20 Posted : 18 December 2005 21:10:05(UTC)
orubias

Spain   
Well, I have two broken straight tracks, a 188 and a 172, both within less than two years from new... Don´t think it´s an aging problem... can´t tell now the production year, since they are fitted in the carpet layout right now.

Band on the run
Offline zand 1985  
#21 Posted : 18 December 2005 21:16:44(UTC)
zand 1985

Well my c track has been away for a year. i have only had it out a handful of times before i brought it out a couple of weeks ago.

and i never had this problem before. not one piece snapped in the previous 6 years of use. then suddenly this time i bring it out. 20 pieces do the same thing. no matter how carefull you are they still snap.
Offline jte  
#22 Posted : 18 December 2005 22:05:52(UTC)
jte

Could it have been stored in warm place? I left once my Roco 2R-layout on the balcony under sunshine for a day, and all Roco-track (with many turnouts etc.) were shrunken and warped and was no use anymore. Boy I was happy that evening.

Juha
Offline Zora la rousse  
#23 Posted : 18 December 2005 22:31:10(UTC)
Zora la rousse

The problem is also known to me. I have a lot of second hand C track. I fact, all my C and M rails are second hand. I shall look to the time clock printed on the C rails as soon as possible. But still I'm fond of the good electrical connection between C rails.
You are never too late to become a Märklin fan.
Offline McLae  
#24 Posted : 18 December 2005 23:14:04(UTC)
McLae

I have also had a problem recently with C track screws. They sometimes snap when driving into plywood.[xx(]
Sometimes I can remove the broken tip with a pair of pliers. The bad ones seem to be screws left out of the box.[:p]

(No date code on screws[:o)])
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline MHauge  
#25 Posted : 18 December 2005 23:54:37(UTC)
MHauge

My C-track screws also snap, the only sollution i found was to cut off about 2 mm of them, then they wont go so far down in the wood, but doesn't snap here.

Michael
Märklin C-tracks, Mobile Station, Danish Ep 4
Offline Bob R  
#26 Posted : 19 December 2005 04:29:31(UTC)
Bob R

I was just wondering if anyone has ever cut themself with the C Track or does that prestigeous honor belong only to myself? I have cut myself not once, but twice while pushing 2 pieces toghether. Seems my hands sliped a bit only to get cut on the side of the track. I have known to be a bit "Klutzy" at times.

Bob R
Offline Raymond  
#27 Posted : 19 December 2005 09:32:08(UTC)
Raymond

I've been using (and perhaps abusing) C-track since 2000 and to date never had anything broken off the C-track... I have somewhere around a thousand pieces of c-track and in the years they have been constantly taken apart and put together to create different layouts. I must say, that during those years, the tracks never went below 15 degrees celcius of above 35 degrees. Humidity would be between 30-80%. My track was all new, a few from 2 start sets, most out of per-piece boxes (no expension boxes).

My track has manufactor dates from every year since 1999/03. All have the B/O markings.

Raymond
Carpe Diem.
Offline john black  
#28 Posted : 19 December 2005 14:32:03(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by franciscohg
<br />MMHMHMHMHM, it seems that the pre Christmas drinks have loosen the tongues of these C ¿track? owners ... Long live to good old M's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Francisco: Just knew this one would come ... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Alex: No trouble with C-track so far - one built layout (mine), one carpet layout (Grandson)
Perhaps you can do a deal with a dealer when buying a loco ... Smile

John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline zand 1985  
#29 Posted : 19 December 2005 16:28:46(UTC)
zand 1985

For the people who have had problems with there c track there seems to be no real trend as to why the tabs are breaking.

some track is less than 2yrs old some is older. Some have the B and O mouldlets, some don't. in my case it is not only the straights that are doing it btu the curves as well. another 3 tabs broke on me last night. at this rate i'll have no track in Al condition.

just seems to be the luck of the draw, i'm obviously just unlucky.

but there must be some real reason why it is doing it?
Offline McLae  
#30 Posted : 19 December 2005 19:55:35(UTC)
McLae

I have yet to cut myself on C-track.[:o)]

As to why the track is shedding parts, the reason is that the plastic is becomming brittle.
Temprature changes, Ozone, bad batch of plastic, too much plasticizer,... Take your pick on first caause. If M* knows why, I have not heard of it.[:p]

Question is: is this covered by waranty? Do the dealers check the date clock and say "sorry, track from 2000 is no longer covered"?
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline David Dewar  
#31 Posted : 19 December 2005 20:19:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Alex : Could you be using something to clean the tracks that may be causing the problem or have you being painting to change the ballast colour. You do seem to be having a lot of tracks breaking which is just not normal. I see you are in the UK like me so not much point in talking to a dealer unless you live next door to Gaugemaster but I would doubt that they would help.
Where did you buy the track.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline zand 1985  
#32 Posted : 19 December 2005 21:50:38(UTC)
zand 1985

nope it's not been painted at all and ive never needed to clean the track so its' not been in contact with any solvents or anything like that. All teh track i have is either 11th or 12th 1997. ive used the track a hand full of times prob the seventh time its been put together and taken apart again.

It's from Bahnhof for Marklin in the south east.
Offline zand 1985  
#33 Posted : 19 December 2005 21:53:02(UTC)
zand 1985

think i might just purchace a whole set of new track spend around £200.

Start a fresh, and hopefully (touch wood) i wont have the same problem agen.
Offline David Dewar  
#34 Posted : 20 December 2005 00:16:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Alex. If you are replacing some of your track then buy from Germany where it will be considerably cheaper.

David
Offline zand 1985  
#35 Posted : 20 December 2005 12:02:11(UTC)
zand 1985

Thanks from the advice David. Any where imparticular?
Offline David Dewar  
#36 Posted : 20 December 2005 17:58:56(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Lok Shop. Have a look at the links section where you will find their web address along with others. Lok Shop are reliable.

David