Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sudibarba  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2009 04:38:40(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I got a very nice 3021 on ebay. Great shape but when I opened it up both light sockets were gone. The bases ( metal cross pieces) were there. In retrospect, the ebay pictures showed one socket outside the lok but said nothing about the insides.
Anyway, I had Walthers wired sockets on hand and put screw in LEDs that have resistors in the bulbs and mounted the bulb sockets to the bases with hot melt glue. After sorting out the polarity of the wires (opposite of what I thought)everything is fine. I expect the glue to hold for a long time as it is rubber like and flexes.
Thanks to Bigdayddnz and River (on other posts) for the idea of using hot melt. I was thinking of using epoxy or some kind of putty before trying a mechanical fix. Hot melt was easy and fast. I think it will work well.
Eric
Offline al_pignolo  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2009 09:16:10(UTC)
al_pignolo

Hi Eric.
For similar purposes I used cyanoacrylate and epoxy too, but flexibility of hot melt is surely better.
Let us know if the hold will be firm during the time.

Pietro
Offline Caplin  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2009 09:20:06(UTC)
Caplin

Hi Eric,

Happy to hear that you found a good solution using hot glue. I have used that method for various small jobs and it seems to hold.

BTW it is not OK when a seller "forgets" to mention missing/broken parts and just call the item used. [:(!]
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2009 14:33:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The only problem with hot glue is keeping your fingers out of the way when applying it. That stuff is very hot and can burn. It usually holds quite well, but will break away cleanly if enough twisting force is applied to it, or if a flat blade screwdriver is prised underneath it. Which makes it great if you make a mistake.
Offline Maxi  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2009 19:58:15(UTC)
Maxi

If you get hot melt glue on your fingers, just roll the glue into a ball on your fingers to get the heat down and to remove the glue at the same time.