Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Trainee  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2009 23:12:26(UTC)
Trainee

Hi,

I am about to get me some turnouts. There seems to be two kinds: 2272/2273 and 22715/22716.

Seems that 2272/3 are no longer produced by M*. Why is that? Is there something wrong with them and should I avoid them?

What are the differences with these two? Are the other easier to use/assembly/ballast than the other?

There is not a lot of this stuff on sale on the german Ebay. Should we be worried? I really can't see me going on with the shorter turnouts...

Thanks in advance!

- Jussi
Planning on Epoch III DB
Offline Fredrik  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2009 00:29:19(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi there,

the 2272/3 is "a bit" worse to ballast as it has a moving frog (with a pulling rod to operate it). I don't know if that's the reason to why it was discontinued cause I have a few and I like them. I'm using these for high-speed turnouts as in reality.

The 22715/6 is therefore somewhat easier to ballast as they lack the operating rod and moving frog - yet one has to be careful when ballasting the area of the moving points so they don't get stuck.

So as an answer: You do not need to avoid 2272/3 there's nothing wrong with them.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2009 08:20:26(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
The version with the moveable frog fell out of favour because the mechanisim used to become stiff and not operate properly.