Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Registers.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bbburch  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2005 21:21:31(UTC)
bbburch

I recently inherited my grandfather’s Marklin HO-Gauge railroad (all analog, all M-track). I believe he purchased most of it in the 1970’s. My knowledge of model railroads is very limited, so I’m hoping you can help answer some of my questions. I’ve attached a few images for reference.

Because everything had been completely disassembled before I received it I wasn’t able to make any notes about how wires were connected, or about the function of certain sections of track. Also, the person who took everything apart cut many wires at the source, but didn’t keep the little red, green, yellow, or brown plugs that were at the ends of the wires.

Here are my initial questions:

-What are the names/purposes for the four sections of track shown in image 1?

-What is the difference between the three transformers in image 2? And why would I use one over another?

-Where should I connect the three wires from the switch in image 3? (By the way I have 24 switches of various types, only two of which didn’t have their wires cut.)

-Image 4. What are these and what do they do?

-Can you recommend any resources for getting some of the various little plugs I’m missing?

I truly appreciate any help or advice you’re able to offer.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline MärCo  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2005 22:24:27(UTC)
MärCo

Linking images with Yahoo will not work. I tried this myself.
I suggest using this site —>

http://imageshack.us/

Perhaps I can answer your questions if I can see the images.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline MärCo  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2005 00:21:36(UTC)
MärCo

Anyway, how big are your pictures ?
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline Gregor  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2005 00:47:57(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hello Stephen, welcome to the forum.

Pictures are fine over here. First rail I don't recognise, seems a decoupler to me. 2nd rail is a decoupler. 3rd rail is a contact swith, to operate relays or turnouts by driving trains, last one seems to me a connection track, red to center rail and brown to mass. You can connect these to the trafo outputs with the same colour. On the trafo: Brown is mass, red is 0-16 VAC to connect to track and regulate train speed, yellow is 16 VAC continuous, for turnouts, relays etc.

Now the 3 trafos are probably all fine, if they are suited for the electrical system in your country (where are you from ?). The supply voltage should be stamped somewehere on the label. The difference is in the max power they can supply. For the turnout, yellow should go to the yellow trafo output, the other 2 should go to switch board (last pic) or contact rail. When one of these is connected to mass, turnout will operate. Red = Curved, Green = Straight (German: Red = Rund (Curved), Green = Gerade (straight)

The 3 switchboards in the last pic have different characteristics, see picture.
UserPostedImage

Hope this helps, but in any case, the best would be for you to buy a Marklin catalog. There you would see the operation principles and the waelth of possibilities. I hope the fever catches on !!

Can you tell us which loc's you inherited [:p] ?

Have fun,
Gregor

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 16:29:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2005 00:56:56(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
**** Sorry Gregor - you were a bit faster than me ****

Welcome to the forum bburch...

IMAGE 1:

Track 1 is part of a railway crossing (not sure of the part number - might not be separately available)
Track 2 is an uncoupler track - when powered the black piece rises to disconnect the coupler between two wagons (or a loco) (5112)
Track 3 is contact track and is used to detect the presence of a loco and switch something. Something can include a signal.. (5146)
Track 4 is a power track (5103)used to feed power from the transformer..

IMAGE 2: Sorry can't help you here

IMAGE 3: The turnouts (5140) have three wires... Yellow is a power feed from the transformer... Red and Green are connected to the lowest box in Image 4 - you also need an earth (brown wire) connected to the side of this box).. The green button switches straight and the red is for curve (I may have this back the front...)

IMAGE 4:
The silver one is a splitter for turning one (say) yellow power feed into many...

I am not sure about the first two boxes, but the bottom box is used for signals and turnouts..

The plugs are hard to get now - Brawa make a slightly smaller plug that I have used with varying sucess on older stuff - it depends on how worn the holes are...

Have a look at ftp://ftp.marklin.com/pub/Old%20Manuals using the part numbers I have supplied for more information..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2005 00:59:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forumSmile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline bbburch  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2005 02:48:17(UTC)
bbburch

Thank you Gregor and Adrian, I appreciate the info you've provided.

Currently I only have access to one of the five loc's that were passed down. This one is a #3046. I'll get the info on the other loc's when I have an opportunity and let you know.

There were actually two sets passed down from the estate - one is the Marklin HO we've been discussing and the other is a much bigger set - Lionel O-gauge from the 1930's and 40's.

Again thanks for the info - now it's time to see if I can make this work.
Offline Sam  
#8 Posted : 09 May 2005 02:58:10(UTC)
Sam

Your very lucky... you have a memory of your Grandfather that will also give you pleasure when you "play" with it.

I sometimes wonder (with the average age of model rail roaders being so old) if one day soon, we're going to have a flood of handed down model trains and train stuff suddenly going into the hands of the next generation... either by way of inheritance or estate auction, etc... the baby boomers are aging, and they are the last generation to really take this hobby on in large numbers.

Era I-V / HO & 1 Gauge / C-Track & Mobil Station, with Central Station.
Offline HueyCE  
#9 Posted : 09 May 2005 04:27:58(UTC)
HueyCE

Welcome to the forum Stephen.

Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline HueyCE  
#10 Posted : 09 May 2005 04:35:05(UTC)
HueyCE

Sam- It's too early to say that Generation X(and those of us between boomers and Xers) won't come to the hobby. We have quite a few from that generation as members already, and most are just now getting to the age where they would be able to really start getting involved or return to it.

Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline Sam  
#11 Posted : 09 May 2005 08:54:11(UTC)
Sam

Ira, I hope you're right.. but the last two days I've been hanging out with a few local model RR clubs, and the guys are really old... I mean 65+ old... not much young blood into model RR here in Phoenix from what I can see.

Era I-V / HO & 1 Gauge / C-Track & Mobil Station, with Central Station.
Offline john black  
#12 Posted : 09 May 2005 12:14:08(UTC)
john black

United States   
Welcome to The Forum, Stephen Smile
All plugs are easily available from German M dealers.

John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#13 Posted : 09 May 2005 14:16:14(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Hi Stephen,
The big transformer on the right is more powerful than the other.
It can supply the energy to move three loco at the same time.
It has four sockets too, two for the rail and two for turnouts and lights, so it's the better.
bye
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline McLae  
#14 Posted : 11 May 2005 06:01:44(UTC)
McLae

The Brawa plugs work great for me! I get them from Moddelbahn-kramm (see Links & downloads). They have them in boxes of 100!

For old catalogs, see http://www.ebis.ca/marklin
There is the whole 1979 catalog, including all the track pieces and lots of other things you might recognize.biggrin Have a look at the other scanned items also. Wiring, instructions, etc are scanned here.Cool

Sorry for your loss. We have all been there.

Hope this helps!
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline steventrain  
#15 Posted : 11 May 2005 10:46:32(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very Interesting reading catalogue,thankswink
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.