Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2004 05:26:32(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hello,

Would any one of you know how to deal with this plague, i.e. the terrible styrofoam damages caused by the older time-honoured light blue Märklin boxes to the locomotives (and specially) to the plastic tender shells?

Once the harm is done, is there a cure?

Greetings from Montreal,

Armando

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline KLB  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2004 00:50:08(UTC)
KLB

Hi Armando,all

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Armando
<br />Hello,

Would any one of you know how to deal with this plague, i.e. the terrible styrofoam damages caused by the older time-honoured light blue Märklin boxes to the locomotives (and specially) to the plastic tender shells?
Once the harm is done, is there a cure?
Greetings from Montreal,Armando

What <u>damage?</u>
Kevin!

Moderator,Märklin Bar&Grill

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MarklinBandG/
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2004 00:54:15(UTC)
Webmaster

I am a bit confused... My old loks (also in styrofoam insets, early 60's light blue boxes) survived more than 20 years of storage in an attic where it was hot during summer and freezing cold in the winter without any damage...

So I must ask the same as Kevin, what are the damages???
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Armando  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2004 01:55:58(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hello Kevin and Juhan,

I'm sorry that my topic was not clearly expressed. I am refering to the damages to the paint finish that the styrofoam boxes cause to locomotives (and specially to tenders in steam locomotives), when they sit in their boxes over a long period of time. Apparently, the chemicals in the styrofoam compound react with the enamel finish or plastic and eat away at them, leaving very unpleasant greasy dull or white marks (molten styrofoam, I suppose) that will not go away.

I was wondering if anyone of you readers might have already dealt successfully with this problem.

Thank you and greetings from a snow-clad and freezing cold Montreal.

Armando
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2004 02:13:14(UTC)
Webmaster

Armando, I am very sorry to tell you that I have not experienced any damage to my old loks due to the styrofoam packaging...

But it is an intriguing problem you describe... Is the styrofoam "clean"? What I mean is that other chemicals as oil or such are not involved? Were the locos "stuck" to the styrofoam???

I am curious to know, since I have never heard of this problem before... As I said earlier, my childhood locos were stored away in environmentally unfavorable conditions but survived unharmed regarding the problem you describe...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 24 January 2004 03:11:57(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Have the styrfoam packages been moved on a long trip? That is, could the problem be chaffing from the heavier loco rubbing against the styrofoam during a move between cities (or countries)?

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2004 03:27:22(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have a similar problem with one of my dampfloks that I had apparently put away with some smoke fluid in the smoke generator. I think the smoke fluid melted the styrofoam. I am not currently running dampfloks on the layout and hence have not yet tried to deal with the problem. I would be interested in a solution also (no pun intended). I have considered dabbing it with smoke fluid (the culprit) on a cotton swab but haven't as yet tried it.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 24 January 2004 05:14:21(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Like Juhan says it might be some debris in your boxes. I have a couple of these locos in their original boxes (40 years now) and there is no problem on the locs or the tenders.
Bye
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline pcederstrand  
#9 Posted : 24 January 2004 11:51:28(UTC)
pcederstrand

No Problemo here either. Had a few boxes from mid 50 stored for over 20 year until recently, no problems found.

Also never heard of it anywhere else. So, if not any rust on metall indicating heavy moist/water it must be oilfluid of some kind. Dont know how aggressive smokefluid could be. The M* lubrication oil from 70-80 was bad but more hardened and makes locos not able to move at all. Are you sure that not a "stupid" guy (hopefully not you ;-) ) been using motoroil as lubrication, cause that would really take the colors off.

Regards /Peter
Regards /Peter
Offline rschaffr  
#10 Posted : 24 January 2004 16:58:09(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Back in the 70's and early 80's when I was building layouts before, I only used Marklin oil. Since I restarted the hobby last year I have been using Seuth oil exclusively. I don't think it was oil. I really thjink the problem was the smoke fluid, becuse it was only on one of my four dampfloks (3082) that I recall having run with smoke before I packed them away. Also, the styrofoam clinging to the lok body is in the vicinity of the stack.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline perz  
#11 Posted : 24 January 2004 18:07:43(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Hi all,

I have not experienced this problem myself. The two old locos I have have been stored wrapped in paper and outside of their styrofoam boxes. However, I have heard a second-hand dealer in Stockholm describing the phenomenon. In that case it was an old Crocodile that had its paint destroyed. He did not show me, but the problem he described was exactly as Armando describes it. Therefore, I do not think the smoke fluid theory is correct. (Have you ever seen a smoking Crocodile ?wink)

Maybe normal oil could have caused it, but as the dealer described it it was a "dry" phenomenon.

You could also note that when Märklin use styrofoam packages today there are often plastic sheets etc. around the locos to protect them.
Offline KLB  
#12 Posted : 24 January 2004 20:07:37(UTC)
KLB

Hi Ron,all,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />Back in the 70's and early 80's when I was building layouts before, I only used Marklin oil. Since I restarted the hobby last year I have been using Seuth oil exclusively

They are one in the same.
If smoke fluid did any damage then most of my dampfloks would all be in need of a repaint!wink
Kevin!

Offline rschaffr  
#13 Posted : 25 January 2004 01:56:55(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Kevin:

I don't think the problem was directly a result of the smoke fluid. I think the residual fluid in the generator melted the styrofoam, which then adhered to the engine's surface.
-Ron
Offline Webmaster  
#14 Posted : 25 January 2004 02:04:40(UTC)
Webmaster

Armando, would it be possible for you to post a picture or 2 of the damages so we can see what happened???

I am curious to know if the paint or plastic was damaged, or if it is "just" a styrofoam residue that can be removed some way...
Offline 7gauges  
#15 Posted : 25 January 2004 02:43:45(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
I have seen this type of damage before ... and have several loco tenders (Primex) that are brand new but have been stored a long time ... the plastic has actually reacted with the styrofoam cradle and caused almost a melting of the styrofoam pattern into the tender body.

The explanation from another collector was that some of the stryofoam cradles from the early eighties had some solvents outgassing and when stored to long with the locomotive on its side caused the plastic to melt. If you look at the grain of the styrofoam cradles from the early eighties you will see that the expanded beads are much larger than those from the 70's or earlier ... this bigger bead was a different type of expanded foam process than was previously used or has been since used. If the Locomotive fits too tightly in the cradle it makes the problem much worse. It is almost as if you have a process of pressure solution with the two chemically dissimilar plastics.

This has absolutely nothing to do with smoke fluid or lubricating oil reacting with anything ... like I said I have several abolutely new Primex steam engines with this problem. I have some boxes that are almost saturated with oils, and have never observed this type ofdamage to plastic.

I use a combination of isopropyl alcohol and varsol to clean up some
of the worst damage, and then store the locomotive upright surrounded by extra soft toilet paper .... seems to help. In the worst cases I have simply bought new tenders.

Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
Offline Armando  
#16 Posted : 26 January 2004 06:04:44(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hello everyone,

Thanks all of you for your insights and questions regarding this topic.

As 7gauges describes the effect, the syrofoam seems to melt into the enamel finish of the plastic tender or the metal locomotive shell. (The German call it "Styroporabdrücke", the Swedes "Frigolitavtryck", I think.). Unfortunately, I have not been able to remove these damages at all. I've tried the Seuthe cleaning fluid, dishwasher, alcohol and even Windex, to no avail. However, I've never used the varsol, so I will try and see. I do not use toilet tissue to protect my other models, but the silky sort of paper that can be bought very cheap at any "dollar" store.

I have two locomotives that show this problem big time. One is the time-honoured 3046 (Class 150 or Class 44) and the other, a Primex 3193 (Class 01). I am posting some pictures. (Question for our Webmaster: how do I upload pictures???)

Best regards from Montreal,
Armando
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline KLB  
#17 Posted : 27 January 2004 02:02:10(UTC)
KLB

Hi 7gauges(love that),all,

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 7gauges
<br />I have seen this type of damage before ... and have several loco tenders (Primex) that are brand new but have been stored a long time ... the plastic has actually reacted with the styrofoam cradle and caused almost a melting of the styrofoam pattern into the tender body.

More to the story than meets the eye!I am no chemist,but there seems to be several differnt types of styrofoam and many conditions,or lack thereof,that happen here,...
Good luck in restoring your models!
Kevin!