Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2004 23:45:33(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Miss 4 and I have a modest M track layout that we are building.

It's digital. controlled by an IB and software. We are still evaluating our software. (It's down to WinDigitPet and RR&CO).

One of the problems with M track is that there are no curved contacts.. That is there are 5116 tracks, but no curved equivalent of the 5145. The 5147 and 5123 are only momentary connectors and do not work well with computer software. Additionally, there is no equivaent of a 5116 for the 5200 series of track.

UserPostedImage

In the the red diamond is contact track.. the two 5145's connected have the same problem as using 5147 (ie the contact time is too short)

Some ideas are to use the 5147s, but place a time delay relay between the 5147 and the s88 connection.

Alternatively, is the a configuration for WinDigitPet that allows for a 5147 to be triggered, but the software takes (say) 5 secs to "release" the contact?

Maybe there is some other idea I have not conisdered?

Edited by moderator 10 January 2011 19:25:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline McLae  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2004 00:18:20(UTC)
McLae

I don't have my IB manual with me, but I seem to remember 2 methods of asking for s88 results:
1: what contacts are active 'now'. (snapshot)
2: what contacts have been active since I last asked. (Cumulative)

This is at the pc-interface level, and is specific for IB (not 6021).
If you have your interface set as '6021', try selecting 'Intellibox' or 'Extended Intellibox' (wording might change[:I]). That might make a difference.
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2004 06:32:42(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks McLae... As soon as it cools down (after the thunderstorm that's getting closer) I give that idea a try.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Gregor  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2004 12:21:04(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hello Adrian,

You can isolate the complete section where you want detection, and connect the central rail to the red feed wire and the S88 through a very simple piece of electronics (one resistor, one transistor, one diode). Any power consuming device on the track will be detected.

Also for a while I have been planning to post a tip on manufacturing of contact rails out of standard M-rails (also curves), which is much easier than the method described in this forum.

I guess the time is there to post this. Today I will borrow my work's digital camera, and issue the tip on M-rails and the electronic current detection this weekend.

To be continued
Gregor
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 30 January 2004 12:31:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks Gregor.. This might be a good option..

I already had WinDigiPet set to IB, but I could not find any options (in the WDP software) to change how the s88s were monitored.. I am going to have another go with RR&Co, but I am not optimistic..

Thanks
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 30 January 2004 13:36:34(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Gregor
<br />You can isolate the complete section where you want detection, and connect the central rail to the red feed wire and the S88 through a very simple piece of electronics (one resistor, one transistor, one diode). Any power consuming device on the track will be detected.

There are ready-made modules for current detection functionality which I can recommend, they are also described on http://peter.funck.net/occupied.htm .

[8] LDT RM-GB-8
[8] Viessmann 5233
[8] Uhlenbrock 63340

They are all substitutes to the Märklin s88 module. Actually, it was the author of Win-Digipet who once recommended me to use the LDT module in combination with M tracks. It works very good.

Cool Peter

UserPostedImage
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Gregor  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2004 22:19:58(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi all,

As promised, here's the schematic of a simple current detection system. You can create a detection section of multiple tracks long by isolating the central track. If you then feed the track section through this piece of electronics, you can detect any power consuming item on the track (loc's or lighted cars). I use a lot of these, just solder the components close together and wrap with tape.
UserPostedImage
Little warning: the transistor fails when the blue wire touches mass or supply voltage: Always shut power off when installing these electronics.

Now for the contact track (curved or straight): I was clever enough to forget the digital camera, so I've made some attempts using my cell phone. [V]

1. Use a Dremel type grinding wheel to cut two parallel cuts left and right of one of the 2 rails, over a length of 10 cm.
UserPostedImage

2. Solder a detection wire onto the base material in between the cuts (grind away the paint first of course !)
UserPostedImage

3. Cover the section in between the cuts with hot glue, and let the wire stick out of the glue.
UserPostedImage

4. Cut the rails, and make 2 connecting cut between the two parallel cuts. Now you have created an isolated rectangular island. When a train drives over it, the wheels will create ground contact in the isolated section.
UserPostedImage

The advantage of this way is that you do not have to isolate all the individual rail clamps, with contact risk in each clamp.

Have fun,
Gregor