Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bill  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2003 06:48:26(UTC)
Bill

I realize the 5 pole motor is a tremendous development for Z scale, but I was wondering how long has the current Z track style been offered by Marklin? Does anyone know if they ever considered a product similar to C track, but for Z scale?

Offline kgsjoqvist  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2003 15:29:53(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
As far as I know, the tracks have been the same since the beginning of the Z scale (1972). A solution similar to C-track would be great, but no signs of such development has come from Märklin...

/K-G

K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Charlie  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2003 03:02:49(UTC)
Charlie

I am thinking Marklin "had to" come up with C-track, to offer a modern replacement for their metal track, that was at least somewhat similar in style, use and looks.

When Z came along, it may have been technically to advanced, or too expensive, to produce a metal roadbed track for Z. Or the trend at time could have been track without roadbed. That would explain the arrival of K-track. Thus they started producing regular Z-track, and to now add a whole new line of (Z-scale) C-track would most likely be too expensive and risky.

Fleischmann makes a roadbed track for their N-scale, and I sometimes wonder if that hurts their sales, since it isn't easy to match it with "regular" N-track. I mean you either use all Fleischmann on your layout, or all non-Fleischmann.

Just rambling away, since nobody down here wants to listen to me...
Charlie

Offline Bill  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2003 17:48:20(UTC)
Bill

I know on the yahoogroups for Z scale there has been several discussions of a need for a Kato-like track in Z scale, and Marklin seemed the obvious choice since they have such an investment in the scale to begin with.

Hearing that the track has not changed since 1972 can be read two ways -- one is that it works, is reliable and why change a good thing? Another view would be that the investment in a new track system just is not feasible for the company, because as Charlie indicated, it might be too much of a financial risk. I think Z scale is growing though as a modeller's scale, whereas it might have been more of a novelty or collector's scale in the past.

Offline Charlie  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2003 05:53:11(UTC)
Charlie

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> I think Z scale is growing though as a modeller's scale <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=1 id=quote>

I agree Bill, from what I have seen it appears that there is a growing interest in Z here in the US.

Time to talk to Marklin, and ask for more variety in available US models. Any suggestions/wishes?

Charlie

Offline Bill  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2003 14:37:14(UTC)
Bill

Of course with the trend in the US being that thanks to firms like Kato, Atlas and LifeLike people are used to very exacting prototypes in running and detail quality in HO and N scales. As long as Marklin makes their US-prototype Z units "a little off" sort of speak, the proto-community will probably not embrace Marklin Z, even with US prototypes.

Marklin seems to market their Z based more on the novelty factor, and leaves the precise detail and design in the world of HO. These are just opinions of course. Marklin would need a detailed, injection molded road-switcher (Maybe a RS-1 or RS-3) in Z with the five pole motor and flywheels -- something designed to pull Microtrains Z rolling stock -- to make a real inroad in the proto-modleing demographic in the United States.

Offline Allan W. Miller  
#7 Posted : 25 May 2003 22:24:18(UTC)
Allan W. Miller

Perhaps it's a bit too much to hope for, but I personally believe Marklin would be VERY wise to consider producing a Z scale track system that is similar to their outstanding C-track system in HO. For one thing, the molded-in roadbed would add some additional rigidity to the small and somewhat fragile Z scale track. Track section connections in HO C-track are also far more reliable and the rail joints are nearly invisible. One can assume that this same level of reliability and appearance would also carry over to a Z scale version of C-track.

I have no real complaints with the existing Z track system, and have been using it for a good many years. A few years ago I switched to C-track for my Marklin HO layouts, and I have never looked back. In my opinion, C-track is the finest, most well-engineered sectional track system available in ANY scale--period. I would rate Kato's N-scale Unitrack as second in the field.

I imagine that a Z scale version of C-track would certainly be expensive to produce and to buy, but what in Z scale isn't somewhat expensive?

Allan Miller
Allan Miller
Offline Bill  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2003 19:36:26(UTC)
Bill

I have tried, for my own sake of curiosity, different molded roadbed tracks in a number of scales. The only brands that I have not actually been able to handle is Fleischmann Profi and RocoLine. Brands I have been able to buy and experiment with include Marklin C track, Kato Unitrack (N scale), Atlas True-Track (HO), S Helper Service S-Trax (S scale) and MTH RealTrax (O scale). In terms of overall best look, The S Helper Service track is the most realistic looking (ballast color, weathered rail), but it does not lay totally flat when all sections are connected. In terms of overall quality and reliability the Marklin C track is the top one. Kato Unitrack follows a close second. MTH is for O scale and is a basic useful track for starter sets. Same with Atlas True-Track, which features removable Code 83 track.

I concur Marklin C track is great, and the plastic material is very good, and less likely damage than Kato when taking apart and putting together. Fleischmann, but photos I have seen, looks interesting, due to the unven and more protopypical edge.

I do think Z would benefit from a quality molded roadbed track.