Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nevw  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2006 07:44:07(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
In a few days I will have a Digital F7 M partno 33621. (AMtrak)
( I think it may still be (Delta)
What type of motor is fitted, It is an A-A unit. Does it have 2 motors?

What is the bst Decoder and Motor Combination to upgrade it
or do you recommend to leave as is?
If upgrading is it best to go MFX or FX.
I am using a CS

Thanks in anticipation.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline john black  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2006 10:51:10(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi Neville, congratulations - what a beautiful A-A combo [:p][:p][:p] !!!

#33621 is DELTA, whereas #37621 is DIGITAL. Both wear AMTRAK livery, and both were released in 1997.
You are right, both have 2 DCM motors. Since you run CS I'd give her MFX w/ all the whistles & bells Cool
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Piper  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2006 11:17:33(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Hi Nev,

I agree with Mr. Black, they are great Cool and you have to get a mfx decoder to get all the sounds. I suggest you get the ESU mfx because they have the F7 sounds.

The problem with märklin decoders is you cannot change the sounds and it is generic diesel sounds which is not bad but the air horn sound is not what it should be. [xx(][xx(] I converted my F7 Santa Fe/37622 to ESU and the sound is brilliant. biggrin

Pieter
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2006 11:44:12(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Joh, Pieter,

Thanks for the info, it is great. I will probably go for the Loksound MFX Decoder.
Any need to change the the DCM Motors?

I think I got it for a good price, anyway I was happy. biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2006 11:47:44(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Congratulations Nev,very good model.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline nevw  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2006 11:54:08(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Pieter,
What Part Number ESU Decoder did you get to have all of the correct sounds??
Nev
Offline nevw  
#7 Posted : 31 October 2006 11:55:09(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
This purchase has delayed my entry to the Croc Club. [:(!]
Will have to be content with Donald for a while. [:p]
Nev
Offline john black  
#8 Posted : 31 October 2006 11:58:50(UTC)
john black

United States   
biggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Piper  
#9 Posted : 31 October 2006 13:38:53(UTC)
Piper

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw

Nev,

The importer supplied the decoder with the NOHAB sounds 62438. I used the lokprogrammer to load the sounds of 62436 Universal US-Diesel (Vorbild:F 7). Cool I would suggest that you try to first listen to the sounds using lokprogrammer software. You sould be able to download all this from the ESU web pages.

Pieter
Era I-V / HO / C-Track / MS2, CS2 & CS3 Z gauge. Insider
Member of Märklin Modellers Group
Offline hmsfix  
#10 Posted : 31 October 2006 23:03:25(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi nevw,

Congratulations, the Amtrak F7 "Bloody nose" is one of the finest liveries they ever made for an F7. I like it very much, and it looks perfect with the streamliner coaches.

I have converted mine to digital, too, see
https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=4682
and this is a real improvement. With the original 6603 delta decoder, it is very difficult to haul a heavy passenger train at constantly low speed, and it fails to work with digital brake modules. But with an ESU lokpilot it is a dream!
Didn't try mfx or sound, but I agree this would be nice, too.

My recommendation is: convert it, it's not too difficult.

Hans Martin
Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 31 October 2006 23:23:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
HAns,
Thanks for the Link and Info.

Is it OK to leave the Original Motor, or do you recommend changing them.
If so what is the advantages.
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 31 October 2006 23:24:40(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Piper
<br />
Quote:

Nev,

The importer supplied the decoder with the NOHAB sounds 62438. I used the lokprogrammer to load the sounds of 62436 Universal US-Diesel (Vorbild:F 7). Cool I would suggest that you try to first listen to the sounds using lokprogrammer software. You sould be able to download all this from the ESU web pages.

Pieter

Thanks Pieter. I am looking forward to getting my hands on theLok and giving it a run. Hopefully they should arrive by Friday. wink
Offline hmsfix  
#13 Posted : 31 October 2006 23:48:04(UTC)
hmsfix

Nevw,

I think it is inevitable to change the AC 3-pole-DCM motors (with field coils) to 5-pole HP motors (with permanent magnets), as the ESU loksound/lokpilot doesn't support AC motors of the 33621.

Hans Martin
Offline nevw  
#14 Posted : 01 November 2006 05:51:36(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hmsfix
<br />Nevw,

I think it is inevitable to change the AC 3-pole-DCM motors (with field coils) to 5-pole HP motors (with permanent magnets), as the ESU loksound/lokpilot doesn't support AC motors of the 33621.

Hans Martin

Hans,
Did you get the motors as Spares or is there a Part Number for the Motor.
Thanks,
Nev
Offline hmsfix  
#15 Posted : 01 November 2006 10:54:35(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Nev,

I ordered the motor parts as spare parts through my dealer:

386820 5-pole rotor
386940 motor shield
389000 field magnets

total costs around 20 EUR per motor. Eventually you may want to install two inductivities for noise suppression on the motor wires. I omitted them as I could not provide evidence that they had any effect on the noise.

Hans Martin
Offline nevw  
#16 Posted : 01 November 2006 12:31:22(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />Hi Nev,

I ordered the motor parts as spare parts through my dealer:

386820 5-pole rotor
386940 motor shield
389000 field magnets

total costs around 20 EUR per motor. Eventually you may want to install two inductivities for noise suppression on the motor wires. I omitted them as I could not provide evidence that they had any effect on the noise.

Hans Martin

Hans,
Thanks, I could not find those part numbers in the Marklin Parts list???
Nev[:(][:(]
PS: could you give me a Link or a Pointer in the right direction
Offline hmsfix  
#17 Posted : 01 November 2006 14:00:47(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Nevw,

I don't know any systematic source of all these spare part numbers, have once got them from reading the smoke signals biggrin. However you can check the part numbers here:
http://www.maerklin.de/s...oduktservice/miexplo.php
Enter the above part numbers 386820 etc. in the field "Freie-Teile Abfrage" and you'll get information on the availability. But beware of the prices given there. Ordering through your dealer (or an ebay seller) should be much cheaper.

Hans Martin
Offline nevw  
#18 Posted : 01 November 2006 23:52:41(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />Hi Nevw,

I don't know any systematic source of all these spare part numbers, have once got them from reading the smoke signals biggrin. However you can check the part numbers here:
http://www.maerklin.de/s...oduktservice/miexplo.php
Hans Martin

Smoke Signals !!biggrinbiggrin
Thanks Hans Found them.
Nev
Offline intruder  
#19 Posted : 02 November 2006 00:24:40(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Please keep us posted about your rebuild, Nev.

Good luck!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline nevw  
#20 Posted : 02 November 2006 06:43:39(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by intruder
<br />Please keep us posted about your rebuild, Nev.

Good luck!

Will do so when I start. May have to wait a while before I get to it as I have to do the Ghan First, Build scenery etc or make a good effort in building before I can spend too much more.

the F7 arrived this morning, looks almost new. All paperwork came with it. Manual Spare parts list etc. After setting the Switches from Analogue to Digital it ran well. Motor is quiet but the slider is noisy. May fit a new one. Slider did not look as it had much use but one of the Copper Spring Leaves had a Kink in it.
Lok looks good. Pickies later today.

Nev
Offline john black  
#21 Posted : 02 November 2006 11:26:15(UTC)
john black

United States   
Neville: Choose the short slider #7164 - much more silent running [^]
All my F7s run on this one. Also more convenient when removing the shell ...

Offline nevw  
#22 Posted : 05 November 2006 01:58:18(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Have some Pickies of the F7.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Could not resist these:
An International Station on the border of Germany, Belgium, Switzeland and the US:
German Goods, Swiss Passenger, Belgium Passenger going Head to Head with the US Amtrak.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 09:44:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline PierreGILLARD  
#23 Posted : 05 November 2006 03:10:46(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

That can illustrate the "We live in the same World" thematic ! biggrin

Nice locomotives, by the way.

Pierre.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#24 Posted : 05 November 2006 04:13:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />Pieter,
Nev

Nev, I believe the correct part to order is the ESU 62436 - this is listed as "Diesel - Universal US-Diesel (Prototype: F 7)"
Offline nevw  
#25 Posted : 05 November 2006 04:24:02(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Thanks,
Have it on Order.
Nev
Offline john black  
#26 Posted : 05 November 2006 13:10:12(UTC)
john black

United States   
Coolness, Neville - congratulations [:p][:p][:p]

Will you be so kind and list all the parts used for that conversion, please ... thanks

Offline prc  
#27 Posted : 05 November 2006 18:06:25(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Piper
<br />Hi Nev,

The problem with märklin decoders is you cannot change the sounds and it is generic diesel sounds which is not bad but the air horn sound is not what it should be. [xx(][xx(] I converted my F7 Santa Fe/37622 to ESU and the sound is brilliant. biggrin

Pieter

You can change the sounds with the Marklin MFX decoders the exact same way you can (and would have to) with the ESU MFX decoders. You will need to have the LokProgrammer to change the sounds with either M* or ESU. With the LokProgrammer you get all of the sounds that ESU has released.

Regards

Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline nevw  
#28 Posted : 06 November 2006 07:02:11(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />Coolness, Neville - congratulations [:p][:p][:p]

Will you be so kind and list all the parts used for that conversion, please ... thanks

See this topic from Hans Martin. He has done one:

Parts List so far,(Remember I have not started yet only ordered the parts:
ESU Lochsound Decoder:
ESU 62436 - this is listed as "Diesel - Universal US-Diesel (Prototype: F 7)"
93 Euro
2 Of Each:
386820 5-pole rotor
386940 motor shield
389000 field magnets
About 40 Euro worth.

I am going to get a DCC 8 Hole Socket to match the Decoder Plug.
Hans Made his.
Hans recommends changing the 16V Bulbs to 19 or 22 Volt Bulbs as he feels that they are too bright, but no heat problems.

More news as it happens.Smile Read it here first.biggrin Maybe[}:)]
Nev
Offline john black  
#29 Posted : 06 November 2006 09:52:02(UTC)
john black

United States   
Thanks Smile

Offline steventrain  
#30 Posted : 06 November 2006 18:00:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Cool layout,thanks for sharing pictures.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline nevw  
#31 Posted : 07 November 2006 09:35:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Cool layout,thanks for sharing pictures.

Ta, Still under construction, hense the crowded , messy centre. biggrin
Nev
Offline Bob R  
#32 Posted : 08 November 2006 03:16:32(UTC)
Bob R

Nev,

I am watching your conversion carefully. I will be doing the same thing to my Alaska F7 set.

Bob
Offline nevw  
#33 Posted : 08 November 2006 05:44:51(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bob R
<br />Nev,

I am watching your conversion carefully. I will be doing the same thing to my Alaska F7 set.

Bob

Bob ,
I followed the Topic from Hans. I am wating on the Decoder. It is on Back order, so I guess 3 weeks at least before arrival. [:(]
Nev
Offline nevw  
#34 Posted : 20 January 2007 07:38:42(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Well the big day arrived, the Operating theater and necessary instruments, Specialist Surgeon (My 2 Rail Friend who was a Radio Tech in the Airforce), Diagrams from Hans Martins Conversion Topic :

at hand and all of the necassary bit assembled.

Lids off and New 5 Pole Permanent Magnet DC Motor fitted. Used the brushes out of the 3 Pole Motor. (forgot all about getting new brushes). Changing the Motor was a breeze. Well not quite, as we found out later. A Small Piece of Cotton on one pole,sort of mucked things up for a while.

Desolder the necessary wires, Located the Decoder againts the Old Decoder Mount, Hold with Blue tak (white in our case).
Mounted the DCC Socket with more blue tak.
USU give long lengths of cable on the decoder and also the Socket.

AS per instructions, removed the capicators from the motors and the RF Suppression choke.

Connected up the motors, Lights front and back. As the socket was a bit further away we had to run longer wires to the rear Light.

Mounted the speaker in the Rear Unit, again lengthen the wires to the Speaker.
AS per Capt John's Suggestion changed the Slider to a short one.
Lids still off, a test. On to the Layout, Fire up the CCs and LO and Behold CS Starts Blinking and loads the Lok. US Diesel. All the functions, Lights Horn Bell etc. biggrin[:p][^] One motor not working, and Lights in opposite sense.[V]
Back to the bench and dismantle motor, Found the Piece of Cotton, removed, and also changed the Motor connections around.
Back to the Layout and another test. Perfect. biggrin

Lids on and back to the layout. Magnificent.
On starting , nothing happens, Diesel motor sound starts, speeds up and off goes the Lok. Runs very smoothly on the VERY First speed step. speed up, very quiet.

Hooked it up to 12 Wagons. Stopped it on an Incline (about 3-4 degrees). First Speed Step and no hesitation (after the Diesel noise starts).[:p]
A higher speeds still very quiet.

Parts Used:
ESU 51950 DCC Socket
ESU 62436 MFX Loksound decoder.
Marklin 389000 Magnet (2 Off)
Marklin 386820 5 pole Rotor (2 Off)
Marklin 386940 Motor end Shield (2 Off)

some wire and Blue Tak

Now the Down Side.
Sometime when working Somehow we lost a Number board 105 from the rear Lok.[:(][:(]. Still looking but I think we may have to get a new one. Not in the Parts List,
Does anyone know the Part Number or where I may get one.???
The Next one is a bit more serious and I have slapped my hand on this one[^]
Changing some settings, Volume etc and in a Seniors Moment [:(!].
I reset factory defaults. Never Never do this. [V][xx(][:(].

I think it removed the file from hte decoder. CS does not recognise it now [V], so somehow have to get it all back in. Have shot off an email to ESU.
Edit: Fixed. Thanks to Luis

Thats all Folks.
Would I do it again.
YES biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

SOme Pickies:
Old and New Decoder
UserPostedImage

Gerneral views of the Cables etc before they were tidied up.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 09:39:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jonquinn  
#35 Posted : 20 January 2007 15:44:38(UTC)
jonquinn

I have a Milwaukee F7 with sound from Marklin and I was not impressed with the sound quality. I think I will replace it too (plus the older F7s I have with no digital or sound) with the ESU mfx. The horn did sound odd. I have never seen an F7 run, but the horn sound just doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard on a US diesel.
The engine sound isn't quite right either, and you don't get the cracking sounds from the generators arcing that I hear on the big US diesels, which I suppose would be heard on the F7's too.
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#36 Posted : 20 January 2007 16:26:39(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jonquinn
<br />I have a Milwaukee F7 with sound from Marklin and I was not impressed with the sound quality. I think I will replace it too (plus the older F7s I have with no digital or sound) with the ESU mfx. The horn did sound odd. I have never seen an F7 run, but the horn sound just doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard on a US diesel.
The engine sound isn't quite right either, and you don't get the cracking sounds from the generators arcing that I hear on the big US diesels, which I suppose would be heard on the F7's too.

Hello Jon,

I also have that F7 and I had to adjust the volume down to an acceptable level equivalent to a PA1 sound. I am not a specialist in MRR sounds, but my impression is that horn sounds on Märklin's Amercian locomotives are never realistic or close too.

That is also a reason why I would like to see Märklin to produce their locomotives in two versions, one low cost version without sound and another one with sound for those who like it.

Pierre.
Offline nevw  
#37 Posted : 21 January 2007 01:16:47(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Pierre,
jonquinn is Not Nancy.
Nancy is jocoyn wink

Nev
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#38 Posted : 21 January 2007 01:22:58(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
<br />Pierre,
jonquinn is Not Nancy.
Nancy is jocoyn wink

Nev

Corrected ! Thanks Nev.

Pierre. [:I]
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#39 Posted : 21 January 2007 04:33:42(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi Nev,

The Amtrak locs look great, how are the cars??

Jeremy.

ps. Slow but daily improvement for Carol. j.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline laalves  
#40 Posted : 21 January 2007 05:50:03(UTC)
laalves

nevw,

Whenever you have the space, always replace the bundled 23mm speaker another as big as it fits. It'll be night and day in terms of sound quality.

In your case, a 28mm will fit perfectly. A 40mm x 20mm will also fit, but I prefer the 28mm.

Luis
Offline nevw  
#41 Posted : 21 January 2007 06:58:46(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Jeremy Palmer
<br />Hi Nev,

The Amtrak locs look great, how are the cars??

Jeremy.

Cars are Great. photos some here running

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=5964
Offline nevw  
#42 Posted : 21 January 2007 07:06:28(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by laalves
<br />nevw,

Whenever you have the space, always replace the bundled 23mm speaker another as big as it fits. It'll be night and day in terms of sound quality.

In your case, a 28mm will fit perfectly. A 40mm x 20mm will also fit, but I prefer the 28mm.

Luis

Thanks again Luis, Will keep that in Mind.

Nev
Offline HueyCE  
#43 Posted : 21 January 2007 08:24:45(UTC)
HueyCE

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Jeremy Palmer
<br />

Good news.

Nev- Sounds like the conversion was an overall succes. Congrats.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline john black  
#44 Posted : 22 January 2007 11:28:26(UTC)
john black

United States   
Congratulations, Neville - great conversion [:p][:p][:p] !!!

Offline nevw  
#45 Posted : 22 January 2007 23:49:14(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />Congratulations, Neville - great conversion [:p][:p][:p] !!!

Now you can do yours with confidence. biggrinbiggrin
Offline john black  
#46 Posted : 23 January 2007 00:44:27(UTC)
john black

United States   
Fair right [^] ... And thanks, Neville - for fighting that decisive first battle for us Smile

Offline nevw  
#47 Posted : 23 January 2007 01:20:53(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
John, the change to a 5 pole motor is amazing. Smooth as silk and very quiet.
Running around the track on the very first spped step on the CS it just C r a w l e d around, no signs of hesitation, same when loaded up with 12 cars.
The ESU MFX Decoder and Sound is very good. Bell, Horn, Air compressor etc.
On Starting the engine noise starts, revs up a bit then the Lok moves.
Until you get used to it you think something is wrong.

Nev
Offline john black  
#48 Posted : 23 January 2007 01:57:36(UTC)
john black

United States   
Sounds most promising, Neville ... Smile

Offline nevw  
#49 Posted : 27 January 2007 00:36:33(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
More progress/discovery report
Been a few days since the conversion and I have found a few behaviourial items:

Sound off Loco starts moving as throttle is turned.

Sound on, some engine noise, Turn Throttle, noise increases, nore sounds, engine revs up, revs some more then at last movement, First time that happens you are nearly having a heart attack.

As Hans said in his conversion (Lokpilot) he felt that the lights are too bright.
They were. Having the MFX Decoder and CS I dimmed the lightsto what I think is a nice level.

Nev
Offline hmsfix  
#50 Posted : 27 January 2007 00:57:08(UTC)
hmsfix

Congratulations, Nev, for your successful conversion! Didn't follow this topic as I was on the road last week.

Makes me believe that I should replace the soundless ESU Lokpilot of my Amtrak F7 by a Loksound, too. (and take the Lokpilot for some other loco that still awaits conversion)

Hans Martin