Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steamfriend  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2006 20:56:32(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi all,

Now that we've been admiring Pierre's conversion of the Walters turntable, I got inspired to convert the Marklin/Fleischmann turntable 7286.

In fact, the 7286 turntable is not the correct style for roundhouses, as it is of the so called Schrotterbett-Drehscheibe (ballastbed turntable) type version. These were used usually not in conjunction with the roundhouses, and ought not to be driven too frequently. The concrete version was used mostly with roundhouses, so that is what I aim for. This means in fact that the middle rail should disappear. There was only the outer rail (close to the wall) and the king pin. (central stud and rotation point)

See picture :

UserPostedImage

Am I the only one with this idea - I was wondering

I intend to convert the turntable in the real thing, that means I'll have to grind away the inner rail. Anyone there to give me advise?Cool I know, if I do so , it will fall apart totally, so I first will have to fix the 'pit'....

I will add pics as soon as I have something of value biggrin

Bye for now

Yours,

Bob
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steamfriend
Offline stephenbb  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2006 01:20:41(UTC)
stephenbb

Good luck! I didn't know that Marklins wasn't prototypical. However, I look forward to seeing your progress photos if possible.
Stephen(USA)
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2006 03:36:16(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Hello Bob.

I wish you all the fun that I had to convert the Walthers turntable !

I don't know how the Märklin turntable pit is made, but my suggestion would be to remove the unwanted rail and glue concrete plates made of thin styrene sheets as can be seen on your picture.

Keep us informed about the progress of your conversion.

Pierre.
Offline steamfriend  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2006 02:32:36(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi all,

well , here is my first update. The first thing I wanted is the inspection tunnel that these turntables are equipped with. It is accessible from the side and allow crew to do maintenance jobs <u>under</u> the bridge.

The result is seen here :

UserPostedImage

What do you think ? Indeed, the contour of the future wall looks kind of bizarre to me: too many ups and downs biggrin

My hesitation took the final turn : the middle rail had to go. More work ! If you mill it out, the centre part will come apart, so I made a supporting 'ring' structure from some recuperation plastic (looks like wood, but it is plastic !). I used the hot glue gun, as well as screw to fit it firmly. See picture :

UserPostedImage

Then, and only then, the middle rail could be milled out. Result :

UserPostedImage

Now, this leaves a hill-like landscape in the pit.... Putting styrene plates (thanks Pierre for the tip !wink) was not possible now, since the damn driving motor hangs too deep in the pit. I wanted to keep it - saw some other guys switching to a Roco motor drive that drives the bridge from underneath. To me, this looks too much out of the way, and I invested in the digital control system. So I had to stay with the original drive.

Only solution : further milling the landscape out, as flat as possible. I took of 2,5 mm. More is too dangerous for my system of fixture - if someone is interested, I can provide a tip for doing better.

See pic.

UserPostedImage

Now, I think we can add the plates to mimic the concrete. But that is a story for later...

Hope you enjoyed the pics...

Cheers,

Bob
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steamfriend
Offline HueyCE  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2006 06:47:40(UTC)
HueyCE

Lot's of work involved. Keep us updated.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2006 08:57:31(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Brave man!!!!!!!
wish you success
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 02 April 2006 10:43:01(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Keep posted soon on your process.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2006 11:03:28(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Very risky decision.I hope the result will be nice.confused
Offline steamfriend  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2006 01:57:02(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi friends,

Mm, did some more work the past hours, and - mind you - I got even bolder: the bridge itself got also under the milling machine : I took the bulky u shaped profiles away, and used plastic card to build the actual double shape of the bridge (did you know it exists in two parts ? I did not before I started to do some research). I add a pic. I feel very satisfied with this premature result, since it now correspods to what I really want to see on my layout ! Hope you like it too.

First pic shows the 'new' frame of the bridge.

UserPostedImage

and the second picture shows a trial assembly of the bridge with pit. The pit uses a very temporary cover, I am not satisfied with this. But it gives an impression of what is to come biggrin :

UserPostedImage

Now, I am trying to improve the bridge railings, not so easy. I'll report on that hopefully in a couple of days. Stay tuned wink

Cheers,

Bob
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2006 04:47:24(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Great work, Bob ! Congratulations !

Which tools do you use ? You look to be perfectly equipped !

Pierre.
Offline franciscohg  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2006 06:08:27(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
[:0][:0]
Congratulations!!!!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline foumaro  
#12 Posted : 04 April 2006 10:48:40(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Dremel maybe?
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by PierreGILLARD
<br />Great work, Bob ! Congratulations !

Which tools do you use ? You look to be perfectly equipped !

Pierre.
Offline steamfriend  
#13 Posted : 04 April 2006 11:10:49(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi all,

Indeed, Pierre, I like to invest from time to time in tools, rather than the umpteenth locomotive... There are marvelous tools available, and I am using Proxxon tools. I'm not an addict, but they have quite an extensive range, and the quality is exactly what we need. Not the super industrialised and heavy thing, but also not too lightweigthed. Have a look at http://www.proxxon.com/

Moreover, the prices are quite modest. I use quite some material from the Micromot range...

Until soon,

best wishes,

Bob
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#14 Posted : 05 April 2006 00:52:35(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steamfriend
<br />Hi all,

Indeed, Pierre, I like to invest from time to time in tools, rather than the umpteenth locomotive... There are marvelous tools available, and I am using Proxxon tools. I'm not an addict, but they have quite an extensive range, and the quality is exactly what we need. Not the super industrialised and heavy thing, but also not too lightweigthed. Have a look at http://www.proxxon.com/

Moreover, the prices are quite modest. I use quite some material from the Micromot range...

Until soon,

best wishes,

Bob

Thanks for the link, Bob. I didn't know this tool manufacturer previously. If I had room enough, I would buy the Mill/Drill System BFW 40/E as well as a small lathe.

BTW, where do you live in Belgium ?

Pierre.
Offline franciscohg  
#15 Posted : 05 April 2006 02:10:58(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Great tools indeed!!
Offline Purellum  
#16 Posted : 05 April 2006 22:49:06(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Hi friends. I have found this, sorry only in Danish; but on page 17-18 you can se a detailed drawing
on how a prototypical turntable i Denmark looked in year 1900:

http://www.modelbanetekn...k/bog/sporlaere-1900.pdf

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#17 Posted : 06 April 2006 00:39:41(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
great!!!!
cannot read anything, but the drawings are superb!!!
Offline steamfriend  
#18 Posted : 06 April 2006 02:36:29(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi all !

Thanks for the comments guys !

Pierre, it is indeed the BFW40 that I am using. Guess what : it costed me 300 Euros (excl VAT). Real value for money !!

Per : loved the drawing you provided. It is not exactly the same style as the german type, but it comes close. Note indeed the split nature of the bridge !

Coming back to my project, here are a few pics of my recent work :

general overview picture of the first paint work. The pit is naked, but smoothed with filler. Not bad maybe, but still slightly 'hilly'

UserPostedImage

Today, I have been working on the groove, and the cover sheet for the pit. I tried further painting work, but am not very satisfied with it. Two tones to choose from gentlemen : top or bottom(gray) I probably will go for an even deeper gray tone.... stil not sure

UserPostedImage

Note I had to trim the edge border profile (see gray Tamiya filler zone) since that damn motor hangs so deep in the pit, it hit the corner of the groove, despite all my efforts to avoid that.... Anyway, I will use it as a realistic effect - I'll see..

Finally a pic on first assembly trial. I cut down the railings too. Did anyone notice ? It took me a full evening to do both, but I am not fully satisfied : difficult to cut them down in a straight way (use a sharp knife, since I fear a mechanic tool will sollicit too much vibrations for the structure to survive). I have to further think on that. I ordered brass profiles to prepare myself...

UserPostedImage

All the best,

yours,

Bob

Offline HueyCE  
#19 Posted : 06 April 2006 05:26:11(UTC)
HueyCE

Looks good so far.
Ira

Offline ulf999  
#20 Posted : 06 April 2006 10:11:11(UTC)
ulf999

Looks very good!
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline steventrain  
#21 Posted : 06 April 2006 23:39:35(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Look 100% great!Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline franciscohg  
#22 Posted : 07 April 2006 00:21:42(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Really great!!!!
Can't wait to see it done.
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#23 Posted : 07 April 2006 00:58:30(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

It is a true adventure !

To paint realistic concrete, I use Floquil "Concrete" # 110082. Then I drybrush strokes of Humbrol "Rust" # 113 and I finish later with dry-brush of Humbrol Black # 33, Grey # 27 or Poly Scale "Grimy Black" # 414137. Further weathering can be completed with Poly Scale "Mud" # 414314 or "Dirt" # 414308 for instance. Proceed first with some tests on a scrap styrene if you are not familar with these techniques.

I am sure that you will get a superb turntable !

Pierre.
Offline john black  
#24 Posted : 07 April 2006 02:39:35(UTC)
john black

United States   
Bob: Excellent job - congratulations [:p] !!!
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline steamfriend  
#25 Posted : 19 April 2006 00:39:49(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi all, and thanks for the encouraging words Smile ... I needed them.biggrin

I have not finished the project, but I wanted just to keep you updated with my progress.

I am almost finished with the pit. I gave it several coatings, and loved the deep gray look it has now. Comes close to the original Märklin - maybe that is why I like it wink. Did not like the concrete light gray - too clean for my taste...
I have also given it a place in my layout - something quite definite and not an easy decision. I give two pics :

UserPostedImage

The two incoming rails are in fact the two rails to leave the depot. Hope you like the color... I added some traces of rust [:p] too..

UserPostedImage

I broke away all the slits that 'click' the individual rail-endings in the pitwall. The fit without is strong enough, and by gentle pulling one can remove a connection if necessary. The pit wall still is not finished, you have to wait to see the end of it in some days - weeks from now. Note also the wooden ring (4mm) to 'bridge' the difference in height between K and C track.

Finally, what better way to test the bridge than with the BR44 ?

UserPostedImage

I am now waiting the delivery of some fine scale profiles to make up the railings. I jeopardized the original ones (see earlier picture) too much to my taste. Then the cabin has to follow.

Good news : the electrics work ! With the original motor still in place !

Until later !

Cheers,

Bob
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#26 Posted : 19 April 2006 03:08:25(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Really nice job, Bob !

The most difficult is now behind you.

Congratulations.

Pierre.
Offline HueyCE  
#27 Posted : 19 April 2006 05:56:09(UTC)
HueyCE

It is turning out rather well.
Ira

Offline Tony  
#28 Posted : 19 April 2006 09:57:42(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Hi Bob

Nice job - looks really great.wink

Just on the Proxxon stuff - I get all my stuff from:
http://www.sell-it-easy....103f1d4d&cp_tpl=5501

Really great service and good prices. They also have some other interesting tools and things.
Regards Tony
Offline steventrain  
#29 Posted : 19 April 2006 19:39:00(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Great job.
Offline steamfriend  
#30 Posted : 19 April 2006 21:36:46(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi all,

more rapid than I thought, but here are two more pics of the pit wall: nothing more than a plastic-card ribbon (0.3 mm thick) painted in gray and rust now hides the ugly slots. Only the gearteeth have to remain[:(]. Well, anyway, I am happy with the overall effect.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Here, the entrance of the maintanance groove can be fully seen (Blitz light excagerates the illumination effect of course)

Thanks folks for the praise biggrin I'm not finished yet..

Bye for now,

Bob
Offline franciscohg  
#31 Posted : 19 April 2006 21:51:49(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Great work Bob.
Offline MHauge  
#32 Posted : 28 May 2006 21:46:15(UTC)
MHauge

Photos of the turntable in Randers, Denmark can be found here:
http://server6.theimageh...N2106.JPG&album=9944
http://server6.theimageh...N2107.JPG&album=9944
Looks much like what you made.
But i hope yours isn't as noisy, almost wished i brought earplugs.

Mixed photos from my day in Randers http://server6.theimageh...com/album.php?album=9944
Märklin C-tracks, Mobile Station, Danish Ep 4
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#33 Posted : 28 May 2006 22:27:29(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Looks very neat! Your BW with this turntable and your ashpits will definately be a real eyecatcher. Wonderful!
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline steamfriend  
#34 Posted : 29 May 2006 00:32:12(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi friends,

Thanks for all the support. I spent the four last days on finishing my turntable, so for me this is the final report on this particular job.

As mentioned earlier, I was not entirely happy with the original Marklin/Fleischman handrails. I tried to cut them down, but I succeeded only with doubtful results. So I to make a hairraising decision: to make my own handrails. I ordered L brass profiles (1x1 mm), and received them a few days ago. My plan could take shape now [:p].

Here is a pic of the frame building :

UserPostedImage

One day later, the railings got finished too. Note here that at this point I still wanted to use the original pieces with the stairs, in view of the difficulty to produce them.

UserPostedImage

But the combination of the rough rails with the fine scaled home made ones was too much for my heart. I decided to go for the full job:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The full bridge with the brass rails. Nice, isn't it ? A pitty we cannot leave it like that... [}:)]

UserPostedImage

One major point of attention was the driver's house. I put two guys in there, that keeps company alife biggrin, put a heater, and some extra levers. I - of course, cut away the extra window in the roof (it was only used when working with overwire electric locos, to see if the pantograph was down when starting the turntable - so of no use in a steam only operation mode). A risky thing was to cut the door out of its support, and I added two suspension wheels and a rail to make it a sliding door (as with the prototype). I am happy with the result - though not perfect - It looks great to me.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I like small details, like the chap that left his bag outside the cabin. Hope he will no forget it when he is finished with his gossip conversation wink.

A final view of the built-in bridge ! And, it still works (use a digital drive, works marvelous). Case closed. biggrinbiggrin

UserPostedImage

Now, the coaling bunker is waiting ....

Cheers,

Bob

Offline PierreGILLARD  
#35 Posted : 29 May 2006 01:36:16(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Bob, you are an extraordinary scratchbuilder ! Congratulations.

Your job will inspire me for my next turntable !

Pierre.
Offline usbeauty  
#36 Posted : 29 May 2006 02:34:35(UTC)
usbeauty

Really magnificent, Bob. Thank you for sharing it here.
Bruce
Modeling the Bruxelles - Nord to Knokke - Heist line on my layout, complete with pommes frites stand (frituur). (Epoch IV, digital and analog)
Offline HueyCE  
#37 Posted : 29 May 2006 05:14:21(UTC)
HueyCE

That looks outstanding.
Ira

Offline xxup  
#38 Posted : 29 May 2006 07:26:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Simply amazing - thanks for sharing the pictures Bob..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Tony  
#39 Posted : 29 May 2006 10:11:23(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Good job Bob

Love the brass workwink
Regards Tony
Offline franciscohg  
#40 Posted : 30 May 2006 06:41:56(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Wow!!!!!!
Great!!!!!
Offline ulf999  
#41 Posted : 30 May 2006 11:27:34(UTC)
ulf999

a beauty!!!
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline laalves  
#42 Posted : 30 May 2006 15:13:06(UTC)
laalves

Yes, truly great job Bob! I'm looking at my own TT (still boxed) with a different look now..... Considering some copy now, as I did before with the ashpit....

Luis
Offline SRB  
#43 Posted : 30 May 2006 19:48:21(UTC)
SRB

It's a remarkable work you have done here. Congratulations. Looks much better than M*. I really like youe details.

Stig
IB; C-track; DSB and SBB ep. III-V
Offline kiwi  
#44 Posted : 31 May 2006 02:38:41(UTC)
kiwi

Bob

great work it really looks good.

cant wait to see that coal bunker

kiwi
Mike. Rebuilding at the moment(c-track,digital) DRG,DB,SBB era 1-4 steamers and the odd electric
https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=4561
Offline steamfriend  
#45 Posted : 31 May 2006 03:02:08(UTC)
steamfriend

Kiwi,

Thanks, but you will have to have some patience... I will use the Faller coal bunker, but I do not like the welded unity construction. I am desparately seeking for some good alternatives, with bolted profile constructions (but with the same configuration as the Faller one). I have found some vague examples, but need more details. It seems I will have to let go my imagination again... (like with the ashpits) [^]

Hope it will not take too much of your patience Smile I promise to be back with this...

Yours,

Bob