Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Were you satisfied with the CS you tested?
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 21 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2011 23:38:12(UTC)
H0

Hi all!

This poll is for those who tested CS2 but neither CS1 nor CS1 reloaded and for those who tested CS1 and/or CS1 reloaded but not CS2.
There is a different poll for those who tested CS2 and (CS1 and/or CS1 reloaded).
This poll is only for those who tested one type of Central Station (either the old one or the new one).

I want to find out if you were satisfied with the type of Central Station you tested (if you tested CS1 and CS1 reloaded please specify if you were satisfied with either of these (click "satisfied" if one of the two was satisfying)).

This poll runs for 31 days, so please vote during January 2011.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Gregzim  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2011 11:45:09(UTC)
Gregzim

Australia   
I tested and own a CS1 uploaded to now be ESU Ecos running 3.3.3 and so is an Ecos an and no longer a Marklin CS devise.

I was happy with CS1 before I upgraded to Ecos - but annoyed with Marklin for failing to continue support for CS1 having purchased it new - they really have a lot to learn in todays world about servicing their customers better.

SO - to go with ESU who "do" support us and as the original developers of CS1 anyway - offered to bring us into 'their' modern world 'and' support along with their own Ecos clients - I went with them.

The uploaded Ecos software works well. I had no glitches at all. It has new features equal to CS2 and is now a pure Ecos unit and the user manuals are all Ecos 3.3.3 manuals. Because Ecos and CS are from the same base - there is no learning in real terms moving from CS to Ecos - its the same platform with minor differences so its excellent but with at bus etc and I now have on going support and an english speaking forum to turn to. SO YES - for a fraction of the price to upgrade - why would I spend money on a CS2 - I am very happy.
Offline hemau  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2011 12:33:49(UTC)
hemau

I agree with Greg and want to add that if I would not have upgraded the CS of would have the CS2 instead, I would have to get a booster since I need at least 3A to run the layout at some times.
Kind regards, Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2011 13:03:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I had the chance to try out a CS1 a couple of years ago at a dealer who had it set up with a test/demo layout in his shop (Gaugemaster).

Although I found it reasonably easy to figure out, I was not impressed with the look and feel of the screen, and did not consider it an improvement on the 6021 in terms of controllability of locos. I also found it expensive for something that looked like a cheap games console. I don't consider MFX a worthwhile extension to the digital system.

I decided to stick to my old 6021 until something better came along.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2011 22:45:12(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
RayPayas wrote:
I had the chance to try out a CS1 a couple of years ago at a dealer who had it set up with a test/demo layout in his shop (Gaugemaster).

Although I found it reasonably easy to figure out, I was not impressed with the look and feel of the screen, and did not consider it an improvement on the 6021 in terms of controllability of locos. I also found it expensive for something that looked like a cheap games console. I don't consider MFX a worthwhile extension to the digital system.

I decided to stick to my old 6021 until something better came along.

I had something similar, only I had bought the CS1, used it, and decided it wasn't a well finished product. It was a capable controller, but the user interface just wasn't good.
I kept both the CS1 and my 6021 for a while, and played with the sniffer port and other things on the CS1.

Then Marklin announced the CS2 and I had a see one before buying. So the CS1 went on the market (CS1 reloaded was available) and I bought a CS2. I looked at the CS1 reloaded briefly, but it was still not a well finished product. I suspect this comes from the company philosophy in ESU and the way there designers like a product to be.

It seems to me that they have designed a product to be laid out the way they, as technicians and designers believe it should be, but without considering what will be simple and intuitive for the average user.
The comment of a cheap games console is exactly how my father described the CS1 also, and given his back ground in the electronics and control systems he was in a good position to independent view.

I still have my 6021 and I have bought the connect 6021 for it and used it with the CS2, and I have been very happy with that combination. And I think the CS2 is a good successor to the 6021, where the CS1 was not.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2011 22:53:23(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Quote:
I was happy with CS1 before I upgraded to Ecos - but annoyed with Marklin for failing to continue support for CS1 having purchased it new - they really have a lot to learn in todays world about servicing their customers better.

Greg,

I agree that the support in the CS1 days was less than ideal, but in Marklin's defence, they were reliant on ESU for that support and it was ESU who dropped the ball. I don't believe Marklin would have gone to all the expense of re-designing and marketing a new CS if ESU had provided them with a satisfactory product and the support services that they were contracted to none of this would have happened.

I realise this does not absolve marklin of responsibility for the CS1, but it did make it very difficult for them to support it.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2011 16:45:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Fully agree Mike. Marklin made a mistake in using ESU and customers have not had the back up expected from Marklin. What was in my view worse was when ESU made a similar item to compete with the one they made for Marklin. However the new manufacturer hopefull is better and so far this appears to be the case.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2011 21:18:53(UTC)
H0

The poll has expired, time to draw conclusions.

This poll was for those who either tried CS 1 (reloaded) or CS 2, but not both.

80 % of the CS 1 users were satisfied.
90 % of the CS 2 users were satisfied.
Only 33 % of the CS 1 and CS 1 reloaded users were satisfied.

I find this result hard to believe, because the CS1 was rather limited compared to the CS 1 reloaded.
With 21 votes only, the figures are not very reliable.

The other poll for people who tried both CS1 reloaded and CS 2 yielded different results - with similar levels of satisfaction on both sides.

https://www.marklin-user...fer---read-1st-post.aspx
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2011 04:56:28(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I find this result hard to believe, because the CS1 was rather limited compared to the CS 1 reloaded.
With 21 votes only, the figures are not very reliable.

Response number to the poll probably also tell us that most members don't necessarily use any one of the CS as their primary controller.

Either because there are lots of current generation of alternatives (ECoS, Commander, etc)
OR
They feel they are sufficiently satisfied with their previous generation controller (6021, IB, etc)

If you're only running a simple loop or dogbone layout - you may even find that a sophisticated controller of this calibre is not needed.

Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2011 06:21:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Marklin made a mistake in using ESU ....

Marklin made a mistake in not properly fostering the relationship with ESU. By dumping the CS1 so quickly, after promising all sorts of updates, they alienated many of their customers who had brought CS1's in good faith.
Offline TimR  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2011 09:12:16(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Marklin made a mistake in using ESU ....

Marklin made a mistake in not properly fostering the relationship with ESU. By dumping the CS1 so quickly, after promising all sorts of updates, they alienated many of their customers who had brought CS1's in good faith.

I think we have to read between the lines in this issue.

In the late 1990s, Marklin-Motorola was a good, well-proven system, but it was fast approaching its obsoleteness simply because it's at the limit of its development with 6090x chip technology.
But DCC was not only fast becoming the industry standard, it is also more modern, vastly more flexible, and expandable compared to MM. Read: possibilities of more functions, better sound quality, continuously improving load control, etc.

Now, for Marklin to create an entirely new system in which to rival DCC is a behemoth task, obviously too much for Marklin to tackle alone at the time.
In any case, IMO I can't think of them finding a better partner to go with than with ESU.

The crux of the issue is the two differing goals from the two partners:

ESU's aim is to sell more decoders and controllers; so it was probably even thinking of bringing MFX to sell as alternative to DCC - for which, its ambition was to become the lead supplier in this new system, which will have its own attractiveness.
Thus, for its part, it was developing MFX in such a way that it can be integrated and/or cross-sell with its existing DCC lineups. In a way, it's also a risk leverage, future proofing their products. If further development of MFX failed to gain traction, it's easier for customers who bought their MFX products to switch to DCC. It's also lessen the risk for existing DCC users to "try out" MFX.
As a result, they had always planned that ECOS and CS1 to be able to both handle DCC and MFX. Look also at the philosophy of multi-protocol Lokpilot M4..

Marklin's aim is more politically motivated. Their aim is to create a system that should be so attractive that it will block any possible encroachment of DCC system into their perceived "territory". Marklin's thinking is that if they can have COMPLETE dominance over the decoder market for the locomotives they that they're selling... wow, they'll be reeling the profit in.
Marklin has no ambition to sell decoders in similar way as ESU did. Why bother if you already have a ready made market (those who are stuck with 3-rail)? The point is to stop them defecting and look DCC as "cool".

Thus Marklin never liked it that the original CS1 was a "marklinized" version of ECoS, for they originally wanted the CS to be the only, unique main controller for MFX... oblivious that 3-rail market is shrinking...
They were also frustrated enough that much of these ESU developed peripherals provides too many back doors for DCC models to be ran on 3-rail; though they now should be grateful that much of the framework that ESU left them make it easier to create CS2 that can speak both protocol.

May I add, it never seemed to occur to Marklin to seriously market any of their CS as a great DCC Controller?

Edited by user 11 February 2011 13:58:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 11 February 2011 09:46:44(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
But then they realised that they had to cater for DCC in their controllers. as in the later vesions of the CS2.

They missed the boat.

Unfortunately.
I will be racist here. M had German arrogance in that "we know best."

NN

Now walking the plank in a shark filled pool.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline TimR  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2011 09:53:52(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
But then they realised that they had to cater for DCC in their controllers. as in the later vesions of the CS2.

They missed the boat.

Right, Nev...
I think, while ESU approached the development of MFX with a clear business vision,
Marklin was too clouded with their obsession to "control" what their customers buy.

Both obviously resent the other, and the partnership broke apart.

I think Marklin is the ultimate loser here.
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 11 February 2011 11:10:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
As a subcontractor, ESU should have been in tune with what their customer, Marklin, was aiming for, and not have their own agenda. They were in the wrong here, in my opinion.

Is Marklin wrong in wanting a controller which is focussed on their technology and product range? I don't think so, though obviously others here disagree. Marklin have a significant and total commitment to the 3 rail, AC, and Motorola digital format. No other company is so dependant on it.

The fact that they now own Trix and have DC modellers to cater for has recently clouded their focus, and has led to the compromises with DCC included in controllers, and also incidentally, to the deviation from the advancement of C-sine motors. As always, one man's meat is another man's poison, and therefore some welcome the Marklin approach, whereas others condemn it.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TimR  
#15 Posted : 11 February 2011 13:43:11(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
As a subcontractor, ESU should have been in tune with what their customer, Marklin, was aiming for, and not have their own agenda. They were in the wrong here, in my opinion.

Is Marklin wrong in wanting a controller which is focussed on their technology and product range? I don't think so, though obviously others here disagree. Marklin have a significant and total commitment to the 3 rail, AC, and Motorola digital format. No other company is so dependant on it.

The fact that they now own Trix and have DC modellers to cater for has recently clouded their focus, and has led to the compromises with DCC included in controllers, and also incidentally, to the deviation from the advancement of C-sine motors. As always, one man's meat is another man's poison, and therefore some welcome the Marklin approach, whereas others condemn it.

Ray,
My thinking was that at the end of the day,
what matters is whose contribution ensured better long term value for MFX customers...
As simple as that.

Technically speaking; MFX was always developed from DCC...
I think it's pretty much a given that designing an operating system from scratch, given their limited resources is a no go (though Marklin most probably try heading down that path).

And thus, the ability to make controllers that can speak both protocols is always there.

Through the partnership with ESU, Marklin was given a golden chance to tap into the top-of-the-range DCC controller market - where it had no product to offer then!
Essentially, what ESU had done here is simply offering Marklin a share of their ECOS DCC market.

Marklin turned down the opportunity. It's their own problem.
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 11 February 2011 18:35:25(UTC)
H0

Wild speculations - or does anyone of you know details about the contract between ESU and Märklin?

It seems that Märklin doesn't have a valid patent on automatic locomotive registration, because the new generation of DCC decoders can do it, too.

But Railcom has a patent on loco position detection, therefore M* cannot use the mfx feedback to locate locos on the layout (at least not without paying licence fees).

The official version is: M* invented mfx - and ESU implemented it according to specifications from M*.
The contract doesn't prevent ESU from implementing mfx in their ECoS and their decoders. Did M* allow that or did they forget to forbid it?
Maybe ESU was too sly for Märklin.

Wild guesses as I don't have inside information either.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 11 February 2011 21:11:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

Ray. Fully agree. A manufacturer should do just that and not also try to retail an item to compete with the one they make for their customer. Anyway Marklin are happy to be rid of ESU as they dont need them and sales of the CS2 has shown they have a good product.
However I think that the CS2 is now over priced. MFX is nor really of any concern to me and I expect users can take it or leave it but for me the CS2 will need to do more than it does to justify the price tag. I know ESU is popular with some but at the end of the day they make nothing that we must buy that is not made elsewhere but
Marklin have to survive to keep three rail going although as said in another thread they womnt gey much is anything from me this year.
Bit like M track and IB etc when those who have it and like it spring to its defence when really there is no reason as the majority just enjoy model rail whatever they use.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#18 Posted : 11 February 2011 23:36:31(UTC)
john black

United States   

I was not impressed with the look and feel of the screen.
I did not consider it an improvement on the 6021 in terms of controllability.
I also found it expensive for something that looked like a cheap games console.
I don't consider MFX a worthwhile extension to the digital system.

I decided to stick to my old 6021.

Thanks, Ray - same impressions here ... Laugh
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline john black  
#19 Posted : 11 February 2011 23:51:08(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

M made a mistake in not properly fostering the relationship with ESU. By dumping the CS1 so quickly, after
promising all sorts of updates, they alienated many of their customers who had bought CS1s in good faith.

Fair right, my friend - never trusted 'em when it came to their newfandangled CS1 stuff.
Luckily I bought two brand new #6021 starter sets dirt cheap when they been on sale, then.
That way I even got two of M's top-of-the-line digital controller. More than I'll ever need ThumpUp
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 12 February 2011 12:19:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The poll looks like the CS2 is best with the original CS1 coming second and the reloaded one not great. Then again you cant buy a new CS1 or a reloaded one which distorts any findings. As John (Black) says he likes the 6021 and I expect many do I am sure this is still used by lots of folk on the forum.
If you were to compare prices and look for value then the 6021 would be top with the CS2 at the bottom of the pile but then again if you have a large layout then the CS2 along with ECOS would come top for good control.
My own view that at present in the market (excluding second hand stuff) the choice is CS2 or ECOS and looking at prices the CS2 will need to do more for the extra cash.
As usual you will find that the controller owned by the member will be the best other than a few who take the objective view. Hopefully I am one of those and who was in favour of the CS2 but now feel that for value we should look at the ECOS.

dave
Offline TimR  
#21 Posted : 12 February 2011 13:22:15(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

It seems that Märklin doesn't have a valid patent on automatic locomotive registration, because the new generation of DCC decoders can do it, too.

But Railcom has a patent on loco position detection, therefore M* cannot use the mfx feedback to locate locos on the layout (at least not without paying licence fees).

Is there anything new on the development of extra features of MFX since its conception?
I think not.

While DCC is an open system and continues to expand; adding new features as they go.
Let's face it; it's unlikely that DCC will ever fold.

The same cannot be said with MFX:
Worst case scenario, ten years from now and it may again suffer the same fate as Marklin-Motorola protocol.
This will boomerang back at Marklin,
particularly as it'll be difficult to attract new customers with an outdated "must-have" protocol,
though existing customers probably wouldn't mind much.

Now M* has the sole responsibility of further developing MFX,
but things has changed since late-90s, early-2000s.
Marklin's revenue has more than halved,
and crucially, it no longer has any partner for which to develop MFX
Dare I say it?

I would think that after Marklin-ESU debacle, it's hard to imagine if anyone want to partner with M* in developing MFX2.

Luckily for us, there are two crucial development initiated during the MFX implementation stage:
One - the use of 21-pin decoder and mtc PCB. This would guarantee customers that should their MFX decoder technology become obsolete, they can easily swap the decoder. Gone were the days when every Marklin (DELTA and 6090x) decoder was custom-built according to each model's chassis.

Two - crucially, the two top available controller for Marklin users these days; ECoS and CS2 can both read MFX and DCC. This would greatly help should the worst case scenario happen.

Best case scenario is that in the near future, a true MFX-DCC multi-protocol decoder will be developed,
so that any future MFX could piggyback on any advancement made in DCC.
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 12 February 2011 14:22:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
Best case scenario is that in the near future, a true MFX-DCC multi-protocol decoder will be developed, so that any future MFX could piggyback on any advancement made in DCC.

For gauge I they have decoders that support MM, DCC, and mfx.
But they ignore DCC if mfx is on the track.ThumbDown

A DCC/mfx decoder must allow disabling of mfx protocol to be truely multi-protocol IMHO.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 12 February 2011 20:36:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Tim. Dont think Marklin has a problem finding a new manufacturer. Whoever makes the CS2 appears to be OK and happy to do so. Big difference is they dont also retail their own version. ESU have lost decoder sales not only to Marklin but others as well.
I dont think MFX is any big deal as other than registering the loco just exactly what else does it do.
As I have said before we need a bigger maufacturer (Sony .. Toshiba etc) to make our decoders and that way we would get then cheaper, smaller and better. Perhaps a decent computer manufacurer could also make a controller for Marklin which does more and again would be cheaper.

dave
Offline Webmaster  
#24 Posted : 12 February 2011 21:19:53(UTC)
Webmaster

David, the CS2 is made by Kontron - a major player in the "embedded systems" world of electronics that also does customer specific designs. We also use Kontron innards in our own hardware products.

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline TimR  
#25 Posted : 12 February 2011 22:12:38(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
David, the CS2 is made by Kontron - a major player in the "embedded systems" world of electronics that also does customer specific designs. We also use Kontron innards in our own hardware products.

Thanks for the link,
now we also know that CS2 is produced in Malaysia.
Offline David Dewar  
#26 Posted : 12 February 2011 23:08:13(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

Hi Juhan. Thanks for info. At least we now have a Company who will not sell direct to the public and much about with Marklin. Not had a chance to break up their balance sheet and cant be bothered anyway but their boss does say they now wish to concentrate on high end stuff which will not suit Marklin. However the Company is in a reasonable postion although not great which is in line with most these days.
Would have thought that their selling price to Marklin would be less than ESU.

dave