Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aos  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2010 18:26:37(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
I have 17 locomotives which are all analog, nearly all are from the late 70's to early 80's. 13 of the locos are the old 3 pole FCM motors and the other 4 are drum. All these locos are virtually brand new, having been bought and boxed for almost all there life. They come out once a year or so for a test run and lubrication.

I have bought a 29010 digital starter set with a mobile station and like the idea of the digital control.ThumpUp

I have discussed the idea of converting my locos to digital with Jo Messerschmitt of Towcester. He has indicated a conversion price of £58 (excluding brushes, pickup shoes etc if needed) to fit a Uhlenbrock 76200.ThumbDown

Marklin service have indicated that all the locos can be converted into a digital version with the decoder 66032. The price they quote depends on the state of the locos. But normally the price for such work will start at 85 €. ThumbDown

In most instances, this amounts to more than the cost of a new equivalent digital loco. Sad

What should I do? Are these decoders any good? Is the Uhlenbrock better than the Marklin 66032. Should I use the 60760 conversion for my drum motor locos? I have also heard that converted locos with the 3 pole motors do not run particularly well. Is that true?

Should I just sell all my analog locos on Ebay and treat myself to new digital locos? I do feel that conversion could end up being a very costly experience.

I have no soldering experience at all!!!

Thanks in advance

Alan
Offline sudibarba  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2010 19:30:10(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I figure about US $ 50 on average to do a conversion using a Lok Pilot 3 and magnet from ESU. New brushes and maybe a pickup and tires. Usually don't need a new pickup. Installed myself - easy after the first one.
Using the 3 pole is fine in my opinion. I've done 5 poles when I needed a new armature anyway. I also did a couple because I had the kit with them but did not use the Marklin decoder - used the ESU one instead. It's hard for me to say the 5 pole is much better. Taking a worn out three pole and replacing it with a new 5 pole is not a fair comparison.

So, you would have to spend about $850 to convert. Most of the new loks are $350 and up. Hobby loks, which I like, are cheaper.

Digital operation is well worth the cost. I am not sure which Loks you have, but I prefer the older ones anyway. I can fix the motors with cheap parts. Repairing the new motors (normally replacing) is very expensive. Not to mention the boards.

Eric
Offline aos  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2010 19:48:50(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Hi eric,

A list for you. As you can see, there are maybe 9 large locos and the rest are all small.
Cat Qty
3000 2 FCM
3003 1 FCM
3021 1 FCM
3030 1 FCM
3037 1 DRUM
3039 1 DRUM
3050 1 FCM
3054 1 FCM
3047 1 FCM
3085 1 DRUM
3087 3 FCM
3092 1 FCM
3095 1 FCM
3111 1 FCM

Thanks for comments.

Alan

Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2010 20:35:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Alan, most of the locos you have do not have cheap hobby digital versions. To take an example, the 3039 has a modern digital equivalent, the 39110. This is priced at €220 from Lokshop in Germany, or £285 (!) from Gaugemaster in UK. Sure, the new loco will have very nice handling and better detail, but it's still a lot more money than getting your 3039 converted.

If I were you I would keep the old locos and convert them a couple at a time. Take one of the cheaper ones and try the conversion yourself. Maybe a friend could help you with the soldering?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline scraigen  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2010 20:49:21(UTC)
scraigen

Hi

I do my conversions myself, for me it does make economical sense, most of the loco's that I like new cost £300-£400 pounds, whereas similar models used I can get for £80-£120, I find most of marklin's decoders so expensive that they are not worth it however the 60760 conversion kit which includes the permanent magnet, new 5 pole rotor and the decoder all for £33 I find very reasonable.

I have also been lucky in finding some old C81 decoders on eBay, which I acquired for about £10 each, great for the larger style motors like the ones in the old class 44.

Stu
Must build something
Offline haxpet  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2010 21:30:55(UTC)
haxpet

Hi

If your old locos are in very good shape, I would not convert them. I would just by my self new versions of the same loco. It might be expensive. But you don't need to rush.

Maybe you could have your layout so that you can choose if you want to run digital or analog operation. Then you could put the different locos on there and have fun with all of them. (not at the same time though)

But if you ask me, nothing beats digital operation. It's so cool to be able to run locos independent of each other on the same track.

Märklin, 3R, Digital (system), C-Track, favourit loco: Baureihe 103 137-6
My homepage: http://home.aland.net/mi...da/MR/modelrailroad.html
I will buy Märklin 4644 BP tankerwagons that have the original box and are in good condition. (No broken details)
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2010 21:54:10(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Alan,

How you all doing,and have you more done to the layout.

Got an easy (and cheaper) solution for you ThumpUp .

Buy yourself some digital Loco's,and come round and run
your smart analog Loco's on my layout.

Job done...see you soon.

Ian.
Offline sudibarba  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2010 22:26:29(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
aos wrote:
Hi eric,

A list for you. As you can see, there are maybe 9 large locos and the rest are all small.
Cat Qty
3000 2 FCM
3003 1 FCM
3021 1 FCM
3030 1 FCM
3037 1 DRUM
3039 1 DRUM
3050 1 FCM
3054 1 FCM
3047 1 FCM
3085 1 DRUM
3087 3 FCM
3092 1 FCM
3095 1 FCM
3111 1 FCM

Thanks for comments.

Alan

You have a very nice collection including some classics such as the 3021, 3047 and the 3050. I do not agree with haxpet's suggestion as replacing them and keeping the old would be very expensive. I would rather have the old ones anyway. I think Ray is right. Start small and build up. You can download the ESU LokPilot 3.0 manual from the ESU site in English. Starting on page 10 are the instructions for installation and on page 13 a wiring diagram for marklin type motors.
By the way, your Loks have drum motors as well as large flat commutator and small flat commutator motors. Each of the three types take a different magnet.
Eric

Offline Darren W  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2010 02:31:26(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Have you seen these conversion kits from ESU?

http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...t/lokpilot-digital-sets/

I think they go for less than $60 USD and have everything you need to do the conversion. I am thinking of getting one myself to upgrade some of my older locos. If you are brave enough to tackle a conversion please keep us posted so we can follow along.

Cheers...
Darren
Offline intruder  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2010 03:27:22(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
For me it's an easy question to reply to, Alan.

I would say yes.
For me an important part of our great hobby is to do things like that. As Ray said, it's a good idea to convert one locomotive now and another then, to spread the costs.

When I decide to convert a locomotive, I do not think of the locomotive's value. If I like the locomotive, I convert it, wether the value is 20 or 200 (€, £, $, you choose).

I must also admit that I, in general, like the "good old" Märklin locomotives, with the DCM or FCM motors, better than the modern ones.

By the way, nice collection of locomotives, Alan.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline sudibarba  
#11 Posted : 31 March 2010 04:58:47(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
The forum is acting up so I will send this in several segments so I don't have to retype for the fourth time.

I am very excited for you. As I said previously, you have a very nice collection. We have all agreed on the forum that model railroading is an individual thing, so the following is my opinion:

You should convert nearly all, if not all, of your loks to digital using ESU 3.0 decoders and magnets. I suppose you could do sound on some if you want but I would not.

By doing this, you will enter into a whole new world of model railroading free from repair men. You will understand how the older motors work and you will be able to repair them yourself. You will take great pride in this. I am in finance also - it does not take an engineer or electronics person to do this. The new motors and electronic boards are beyound the repair of average people. I think they only change out the new motors at great cost. Yes, they do fail, to those who pretend they don't. I'll be glad to sell you one or two. I think there has been a post recently about a Maxon motor for example.

More to come.

Eric

Offline sudibarba  
#12 Posted : 31 March 2010 05:06:04(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Alan,
The people on the forum will help you through the process after you do some homework with the ESU manual. There are startup costs involved but not much. A soldering iron can be had for less than $20, some heat shrink tubing and connecting wire - small gauge - various colors & solder. I can send you US suppliers and specifications if you want.
A hair dryer works fine for the heat shrink tubing.

Eric
Offline old toot  
#13 Posted : 31 March 2010 12:31:10(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
hi alan
greetings from New Zealand, you have great collection of older locos, and as dealers who do a lot of digital upgrades the biggest differance you will notice is that of going from track control to loco control, and with that, it is that the whole lower speed range of the locos becomes available that you didn't have before, Instead of turning up your transformer and suddenly the loco starts,you have this lovely slow action and we have a lot of guys who have been very excited after getting their loco upgraded to find all this new level of slow speed control.
as the other folks have said you can do them over time,what we often do is if someone wants to upgrade a number we work out a deal for them so far as price and time span and its a win win for both sides they get a good price and we are able to do them
over a period and its spreads the cost of funding for the customer.

WE had a lovely night last friday where one of our local members had us around,and had 8 1950 to 60 locos which he had upgraded and among them he had a factory upgrade and we had to guess which one.
It was really great fun so yes you can upgrade,and its worth it, and the five pole motors are just so smooth, My electronic engineer son looked at all the decoders and he has gone with the esu ones and we have found them very good to install and perform well and he has installed heaps of them, but they can be done by yourself,and the ESu instructions are reasonable.

finally the digital with sound added can be more involved as this sometimes involves some working out were best to put a speaker and which size will give the most realistic sound for that loco,and these sometimes folks will send to us to sort out while the basic decoder install they will do themselves.
so be encouraged your old masterpeices are worth the investment to bring them alive like you have never seen them
regards
bryan
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline xxup  
#14 Posted : 31 March 2010 12:58:07(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yep definitely worth converting most loks to digital.. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp I do have a couple (blue and red arrow come to mind) that I won't convert as I think they will be more valuable as intact items... Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 31 March 2010 13:19:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Almost two hobbies here. Run your new digital layout and slowly convert your older locos.
You could also have a layout with two sections : One analogue and one digital.
Digital is the way to go and I would favour one digital layout and convert your locos which could be over a period of years (why rush)
As Ian says he is happy to help with running the analogue locos then that sounds great.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 31 March 2010 13:47:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
All locos can be reversed back to analog, so what's the problem ?
Cost ? You can forget the Märklin way except the digital set without decoder or the special set.
Red & Blue Arrow (SBB) have already a DC motor, so a conversion would be as easy as.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline foumaro  
#17 Posted : 31 March 2010 15:30:18(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Do not convert them.Leave the great marklin classics as they are now.
Offline rschaffr  
#18 Posted : 31 March 2010 17:54:00(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Alan:

For what is is worth, I was in much the same position a few years ago when I reentered the hobby. I had 10 loks from the 70's and 80's. I converted them all and they are all great runners on my digital layout. I do have two loks that I have since acquired that I have not and will not convert just because they are unique.. a mint 3021.1 in the original box and a 3039 that has never seen the rails..it still has the "Gepruft" tag attached. If you have any that are unique like that, I would consider just displaying them. But in general, these loks were meant to be run. Enjoy them.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline jeehring  
#19 Posted : 01 April 2010 02:17:35(UTC)
jeehring

old toot wrote:
hi alan
greetings from New Zealand, you have great collection of older locos, and as dealers who do a lot of digital upgrades the biggest differance you will notice is that of going from track control to loco control, and with that, it is that the whole lower speed range of the locos becomes available that you didn't have before, Instead of turning up your transformer and suddenly the loco starts,you have this lovely slow action and we have a lot of guys who have been very excited after getting their loco upgraded to find all this new level of slow speed control.
as the other folks have said you can do them over time,what we often do is if someone wants to upgrade a number we work out a deal for them so far as price and time span and its a win win for both sides they get a good price and we are able to do them
over a period and its spreads the cost of funding for the customer.

WE had a lovely night last friday where one of our local members had us around,and had 8 1950 to 60 locos which he had upgraded and among them he had a factory upgrade and we had to guess which one.
It was really great fun so yes you can upgrade,and its worth it, and the five pole motors are just so smooth, My electronic engineer son looked at all the decoders and he has gone with the esu ones and we have found them very good to install and perform well and he has installed heaps of them, but they can be done by yourself,and the ESu instructions are reasonable.

finally the digital with sound added can be more involved as this sometimes involves some working out were best to put a speaker and which size will give the most realistic sound for that loco,and these sometimes folks will send to us to sort out while the basic decoder install they will do themselves.
so be encouraged your old masterpeices are worth the investment to bring them alive like you have never seen them
regards
bryan

About factory conversions, there have been several generations of decoders....(depending on when it was done..)
I remember one of the worst decoder never installed on a factory equipped model was an ESU decoder on BR 120 in 2004.
ESU decoders are reputed to be more sensible to electric micro cuts and dirty track...
IMO Current MFX decoders from Marklin since late 2008/early 2009 are quite good....
As for me digital conversion of several F7 have been made by Marklin between 2002 and 2003 : they are perfect (and all 3 pôles rotors were replaced by 5 poles rotors)
Offline sudibarba  
#20 Posted : 01 April 2010 05:37:12(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Jeehring,
Why would you put an MFX decoder in an F7? No multipule features and auto recognition only after you load it the first time. Let me know what I am missing please.

I have converted 11 or more F7s with ESU lok pilot v3.0. Most (95%) are two engine run off the one decoder. Lights that go with direction.

I put 5 pole armatures in my double Alaska F7 as it is my favorite. I don't see how it runs any better than the others with "good" 3 pole armatures.

I would like to hear others opinion of 5 pole vs. 3 pole. Remember, it is not fair to compare a used 3 pole to a new 5 pole. I have taken virtually new 3 poles out and put five poles in and not seen a noticiable difference.

Eric
Offline rschaffr  
#21 Posted : 01 April 2010 07:16:23(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
A few of my early conversions kept the 3 pole. I was never happy with the running characteristics and have since always upgraded to 5 pole. Those remaining 3 poles are on my "to do" list.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline RayF  
#22 Posted : 01 April 2010 10:08:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Eric. There's hardly any difference between 3 and 5 pole if you use a reasonably good decoder like the LP V3.
Ray
Offline Darren W  
#23 Posted : 01 April 2010 20:05:43(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
If you have an older locomotive with a 3 pole motor that has seen a few miles at what point to you consider the armature worn out? Are there any ways of refurbishing or cleaning up an old armature? I am asking this to help with deciding whether to upgrade an old motor to 5 pole or just clean it up maybe replace a 3 pole armature if it's really bad.

Thanks

Darren
Offline rugauger  
#24 Posted : 02 April 2010 15:03:30(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Darren Watalla wrote:
If you have an older locomotive with a 3 pole motor that has seen a few miles at what point to you consider the armature worn out? Are there any ways of refurbishing or cleaning up an old armature? I am asking this to help with deciding whether to upgrade an old motor to 5 pole or just clean it up maybe replace a 3 pole armature if it's really bad.

Thanks

Darren

I've never really come across an armature that I would classify as being worn out; after all, the brushes are reasonably soft and should not cause an excessive amount of wear. It may be a different story for the gear side; gears sometimes do wear out.

Generally I have found that there's not much point replacing the 3-pole armature if it is the large one (LFCM) - in my opinion the running characteristics with a Lokpilot 3 are close to if not the same as upgrading to a 5-pole armature.
Richard
Offline aos  
#25 Posted : 05 April 2010 23:51:57(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to wait a few days so that I could get as many views as possible Smile

It would seem that the consensus is that the ESU Lokpilot 3 would appear to be the best choice ThumpUp

Nobody seems to have any views on the Uhlenbrock Confused or the Marklin 66032 (except that they seem to be too expensive).

I have taken a looksee at the ESU website and it states that the decoder-magnet 'bundles' are for delta locos. Does that mean that I cannot use them on my pure analog locos? Confused

I have tried to look at the Marklin database and correlate the part numbers with the ESU website. I must admit that I am having a bit of difficulty in getting them to agree.

To this end, I have decided that I will dip my toe in the water with one of my locos, namely my 3021 - V200 as it has shed-loads of room inside.

Therefore, can anyone confirm the ESU part numbers that I need for conversion. Am I right in saying that I need a decoder and a permanent magnet, is that right? Do I keep my old 3 pole armature or should I consider the 5 pole option. If so, what is that number?

Apologies for what might be a load of dull, stupid questions, but I do not want to make any expensive mistakesOhMyGod OhMyGod Thanks in advance. Alan.
Offline RayF  
#26 Posted : 06 April 2010 00:21:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
aos wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to wait a few days so that I could get as many views as possible Smile

It would seem that the consensus is that the ESU Lokpilot 3 would appear to be the best choice ThumpUp

Nobody seems to have any views on the Uhlenbrock Confused or the Marklin 66032 (except that they seem to be too expensive). Never used Uhlenbrock, sorry. The 66032 is a delta decoder. It is good if you don't want to change the field magnet, but the running will not be brilliant.

I have taken a looksee at the ESU website and it states that the decoder-magnet 'bundles' are for delta locos. Does that mean that I cannot use them on my pure analog locos? Confused You can use them perfectly well on analogue locos.

I have tried to look at the Marklin database and correlate the part numbers with the ESU website. I must admit that I am having a bit of difficulty in getting them to agree.

To this end, I have decided that I will dip my toe in the water with one of my locos, namely my 3021 - V200 as it has shed-loads of room inside.

Therefore, can anyone confirm the ESU part numbers that I need for conversion. Am I right in saying that I need a decoder and a permanent magnet, is that right? Do I keep my old 3 pole armature or should I consider the 5 pole option keep the 3 pole. If so, what is that number? The 3021 has a LFCM motor, so you need the ESU kit for this type of motor. These are the magnet types:
ESU HAMO magnets for use with existing AC motors

ESU 51960 Permanent magnet like Marklin 220560, (LFCM)
ESU 51961 Permanent magnet like Marklin 220450, (SFCM)
ESU 51962 Permanent magnet like Marklin 235690, (DCM)

and these are the ESU sets:
Item no. Description
52630 LokPilot digital set 1, with LokPilot V3.0 52610, permanent magnet 51960, choke coils
52631 LokPilot digital set 2, with LokPilot V3.0 52610, permanent magnet 51961, choke coils
52632 LokPilot digital set 3, with LokPilot V3.0 52610, permanent magnet 51962, choke coils

so the correct set for a LFCM motor is 52630

Apologies for what might be a load of dull, stupid questions, but I do not want to make any expensive mistakesOhMyGod OhMyGod Thanks in advance. Alan.

I hope the above answers your questions
Ray
Offline aos  
#27 Posted : 06 April 2010 01:55:24(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Ray, many thanks for the precise answers ThumpUp

I shall order the appropriate package from Lokshop tomorrow Smile

Assuming all goes well with the conversion, I shall ask the same question for the next locomotive that I try to convert Sneaky

Regards, Alan
Offline DasBert33  
#28 Posted : 06 April 2010 10:37:52(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi Alan,

I have a view on the 66032: it is BAD compared to the proposed lokpilot solution: lots of motor noise, no load regulation and only one extra function output. I had ordered/used 10 pieces in the past but all off those have been removed from my locos now and some are used as function decoders.

On the lokpilots: I agree that the driving chars of the 3 poles are about the same as the 5 pole motors, when you do not set the CV values to the correct settings. When you do set them correctly (as decribed in the newest ESU manual) the 5 poles are better in my opinion, especially when driving slowly. (but the difference is waaay less compared to analog or delta/66032)

Last week I removed 4 ESU magnets to replace them with complete 5 pole motors. I bought the motors seperately on Ebay (24 euro/complete motor).

If you go to the Lokpilot + 3 pole solution now you have a relatively easy upgrade path if you ever decide to go 5 pole. Then you only need to make 2 solder connections.

Bert
Offline marklinsa  
#29 Posted : 06 April 2010 22:51:49(UTC)
marklinsa

South Africa   
Hi Alan

You are on the right track to take one lok convert it (using ESU) and then assess the lok afterwards. You may find that you may just convert a couple and keep the rest as is. Personally i have decided that its not worth while converting the old classics and rather used the "conversion money" to purchase newer generation delta / digital 2nd hand loks. I have converted one of my HAG AC analog loks with an Uhlenbrock (cannot remember which one) and it runs fine - for Marklin i would stick to ESU.

Good luck!
Herman Steyn
DRG Epoche 2, SBB & Narrow Gauge
www.herman.rula.co.za
http://www.samodelrailway.hot.co.za/
Offline aos  
#30 Posted : 07 April 2010 22:16:08(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Thanks all. Bullet bitten. I have ordered an ESU 52630 LokPilot digital set and will let you know how I progress. By the way. Herman, what part of South Africa are you in? I had the 'opportunity' to work for the gold mines in Welkom for 3 years from 1984 - 1986. What a lovely country. The scenery is magnificent. I had a great time visiting Johannesburg, Durban and CapeTown. Alan
Offline aos  
#31 Posted : 19 April 2010 23:23:58(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Well folks, it has finally arrived. While waiting for it, I printed off and studied the ESU documentation on how to do the conversion. Boy, did I get confused. I am not an electronics expert. Well, this is now a plea for help Confused

I assume that, as my 3021 is quite old, I will need to cut off the interface plug on the end of the decoder?

It says that I need to cut all the wiring in the loco. Ok, I can understand that.

Also, I see that from the ESU documentation, the Marklin wiring convention is different to ESU. Well, I have checked all 17 of my analog locos and they all have black wiring throughout. So, when did Marklin adopt this colour convention?

Looking at the ESU diagrams, I understand the following (colours as Marklin/ESU):
Connect the (red/red) wire to the centre pickup shoe,
Connect the (brown/black) wire to the outside rails,
Connect the (blue/orange) wire to the left motor terminal,
Connect the (green/grey) wire to the right motor terminal.

This is where I really get confused.

It talks about the Marklin 5 pole High Performance Drive and three anti-interference capacitors. I do not have these. I have a LFCM. Do I cut these two which are connected directly to the motor leads and the the motor housing. The kit I ordered has come with two 'choke coils'. Aren't these what I have been told to cut out in the first place? If not, do I need to fit them and where?

Where is the original Marklin (common rectified track voltage) orange/blue wire. I don't know as mine are all bl**dy black :-((

My light bulbs are the original incandescent style. What are the rating of these and are they ok to use?

Paragraph 6.7.2 of the ESU documentation talks about Connecting the light outputs as well as AUX1 and AUX2. Surely, to make the lights work, I just:

Connect the (grey/white) wire to the bulb at the front of the loco?
Connect the (yellow/yellow) wire to the bulb at the rear of the loco?

What does it mean by 'function output headlights' and 'function output rearlights'? What do I do with the (brown/red///green) and (brown/green///violet) wires of the AUX1 and AUX2.

What are AUX1 & AUX2 ?

The documentation then starts rabbiting on about DC and cordless motors. What are mine??

Please bear with me. I know that, to those of you who have done it many times before, it will seem plain sailing. To me and others like me who have not done this before, it is not well explained. No doubt, I shall receive plenty of advice, possibly even from those of you who had all black wiring inside their locos. I look forward to doing my next loco once I have performed this one.

Thanks in anticipation. Alan

Offline Ian555  
#32 Posted : 20 April 2010 12:58:11(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Alan,

Just had a look thro' that.Like you said,sounds tuf going.

I'm sure someone on the forum will keep you right.
I will certainly be willing to give you a helping hand. ThumpUp

Let me know when you plan on "doing" it.

Ian.
Offline aos  
#33 Posted : 20 April 2010 13:09:01(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Ian, Thanks for the offer of assistance. It looks as though unless I get definitive answers to my outstanding questions, I could end up cooking my decoder. As all my locos have all black wiring, I could end up frying a lot of cash before hitting on the correct wiring. That is not something I want to do.
Offline RayF  
#34 Posted : 20 April 2010 14:48:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
aos wrote:
Well folks, it has finally arrived. While waiting for it, I printed off and studied the ESU documentation on how to do the conversion. Boy, did I get confused. I am not an electronics expert. Well, this is now a plea for help Confused

I assume that, as my 3021 is quite old, I will need to cut off the interface plug on the end of the decoder? Yes

It says that I need to cut all the wiring in the loco. Ok, I can understand that.

Also, I see that from the ESU documentation, the Marklin wiring convention is different to ESU. Well, I have checked all 17 of my analog locos and they all have black wiring throughout. So, when did Marklin adopt this colour convention? The colours came in with digital. All older analogue locos have black wiring

Looking at the ESU diagrams, I understand the following (colours as Marklin/ESU):
Connect the (red/red) wire to the centre pickup shoe,
Connect the (brown/black) wire to the outside rails,
Connect the (blue/orange) wire to the left motor terminal,
Connect the (green/grey) wire to the right motor terminal.

This is where I really get confused.

It talks about the Marklin 5 pole High Performance Drive and three anti-interference capacitors. I do not have these. I have a LFCM. Do I cut these two which are connected directly to the motor leads and the the motor housing. The kit I ordered has come with two 'choke coils'. Aren't these what I have been told to cut out in the first place? If not, do I need to fit them and where? Cut off all the capacitors and the big in-line choke. Add the two supplied chokes between the blue (green) wire and the motor

Where is the original Marklin (common rectified track voltage) orange/blue wire. I don't know as mine are all bl**dy black :-(( There isn't one. You can ignore that bit.

My light bulbs are the original incandescent style. What are the rating of these and are they ok to use? They will glow a bit bright, but are OK to use.

Paragraph 6.7.2 of the ESU documentation talks about Connecting the light outputs as well as AUX1 and AUX2. Surely, to make the lights work, I just:

Connect the (grey/white) wire to the bulb at the front of the loco? Yes
Connect the (yellow/yellow) wire to the bulb at the rear of the loco? Yes

What does it mean by 'function output headlights' and 'function output rearlights'? What do I do with the (brown/red///green) and (brown/green///violet) wires of the AUX1 and AUX2. You won't need these. Trim them short and make sure they can't short circuit on the body or frame.

What are AUX1 & AUX2 ? These are for extra functions, like smoke, sound, interior lights, etc. You won't need them for a simple conversion.

The documentation then starts rabbiting on about DC and cordless motors. What are mine?? Once you have installed the new permanent magnet in place of the electric field magnet, your motor is a DC motor.

Please bear with me. I know that, to those of you who have done it many times before, it will seem plain sailing. To me and others like me who have not done this before, it is not well explained. No doubt, I shall receive plenty of advice, possibly even from those of you who had all black wiring inside their locos. I look forward to doing my next loco once I have performed this one.

Thanks in anticipation. Alan

Alan, it really is a lot easier than it sounds. For a simple conversion you only need to worry about 6 wires. Two for the power, two for the motor, and two for the lights. The colours are as you said above. The "return" for the lights is through the loco chassis.
Ray
Offline aos  
#35 Posted : 20 April 2010 15:30:22(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Ray, thanks for that. exactly what I needed. You should wtite the book: Analog to Digital conversion for Dummies Smile Kind regards, Alan
Offline aos  
#36 Posted : 20 April 2010 23:51:45(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
I cannot for the life of me believe what a nightmare this has turned out to be Cursing Cursing Cursing

I have obeyed all the instructions. All I get is the lights at both ends lit up so dimly that you need to have the room in total darkness to see them ThumbDown

The loco does not move at all. Any ideas on what I have done wrong?

As for the instructions regarding how to program the decoder, I haven't a clue what I am supposed to do Confused

Unless some revelation occurs. I shall abandon this whole bl**dy exercise and stick with analog.

As you may have guessed, I am pretty well cheesed off, having spent the almost five hours trying to make this work Cursing Cursing
Offline aos  
#37 Posted : 21 April 2010 00:02:46(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Just tried something else and managed to get one of the lights to shine brightly, albeit with a bit of a flicker. Any thoughts.
Offline sudibarba  
#38 Posted : 21 April 2010 00:27:12(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
aos wrote:
Just tried something else and managed to get one of the lights to shine brightly, albeit with a bit of a flicker. Any thoughts.

All kind of small possibilities:

Remember to put brushes in?

Motor binding due to improper reassemly - can you get the wheels to spin the motor? Be gentle as turning the wheels can cause wheel to axil problems.

Bad solder connection

Poor ground (although you seem to have conductivity as lights work)

wires incorrectly attached - wrong wire to wrong place

If using LokPilot the factory default address is 03

I've done all of these and was amazed that I did them.

Don't give up.

Eric

Offline rschaffr  
#39 Posted : 21 April 2010 00:33:14(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
aos wrote:

Alan:

If you used the original lights with the chassis ground, they will flicker slightly.

My most common mistake when I convert a loco is to forget to put the brushes back in....the motor will not turn without brushes. You wouldn't believe the number of tomes I have one that and gone through and rechecked the wiring before it dawned on me. If the brushes are in, the motor should turn. Recheck the motor wiring.

Programming the decoder is another topic altogether and depends on what controller you have. Get it running first then you will be ready to take the next step.
-Ron
Offline RayF  
#40 Posted : 21 April 2010 01:00:39(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Lets try and recap to see what you are doing wrong.

Did you put change the field magnet for the permanent magnet supplied in the set?

When putting the motor cover back on, did you remember to put the brushes back in?

What digital controller are you using? Have you selected address 03, the default ESU address?

Make sure your ground cable (brown) is making good contact with the chassis on the loco.

Let us know exactly what you've done, and how you get on with these suggestions.
Ray
Offline rschaffr  
#41 Posted : 21 April 2010 03:04:13(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I always run an additional ground (brown) wire from the motor frame to the chassis. In the case of the 3021, now that I think about it, I also ran a ground wire from the non-powered bogie to the chassis because it did not make reliable contact for digital.
-Ron
Offline sudibarba  
#42 Posted : 21 April 2010 05:44:37(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
rschaffr wrote:
aos wrote:

Alan:

If you used the original lights with the chassis ground, they will flicker slightly.

My most common mistake when I convert a loco is to forget to put the brushes back in....the motor will not turn without brushes. You wouldn't believe the number of tomes I have one that and gone through and rechecked the wiring before it dawned on me. If the brushes are in, the motor should turn. Recheck the motor wiring.

Programming the decoder is another topic altogether and depends on what controller you have. Get it running first then you will be ready to take the next step.

Hey Ron,
You're right. As I mentioned above, forgetting to put the brushes in has happened an embarrassing number of times.
Old age I guess.
Eric
Offline aos  
#43 Posted : 21 April 2010 15:07:26(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Hi Eric, Ray & Ron, I think I have done everything correctly Confused

Please tell me exactly what should happen when I put the loco onto the track.

I am using a MS stamped 60652 on the underside. It is part of my digital starter set 29010. It seems to recognise that I have a new loco. I am able to set it up initially as described in the ESU online documentation ( which creates address 33). I am then able to PROG the loco. Afterwards, I can change the name and address to 03.

•Enter a new locomotive in the database. How you do this is explained in the manual for the Mobile Station®.
•Select locomotive 36330. The locomotive Ex 3/3 is shown as active on the display.
•By pressing the „MENU / ESC“ button you can now change any of the settings such as name, address, etc. in
the heading „CHANGE LOCOMOTIVE“. The last function shown is „Register Programming“ (REG). Select this for
writing CVs.

As I say, all I have is the lamps at each end with a miniscule glow. I do have beside the F1 button, the icon for the acceleration/ deceleration function. I also have the light bulb icon switch I can switch on and off.

Any thoughts? Alan

Ray, I have just noticed that you said to cut off all the chokes. I cut the choke which sits between the two brush holders. Looking at the ESU website, I see that for conversion (admittedly of Delta locos) they say not to remove this one. Was it a mistake to remove it? regards, Alan
Offline GSRR  
#44 Posted : 21 April 2010 19:28:44(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Alan,

Have you tried the Lok that came with your starter set? Does it work properly? MS check.
When you place the 3021 on the track are there any other loks on the same track?
You say that the lights function, and can be operated with the MS?
The ABV also shows up on the MS? This would appear to show the decoder is operating.
When you throttle up does the motor make any noise at all, as though it is binding?
Did you stay with the original 3 pole motor? Perhaps try backing off the screws for the motor shield one or two turns?
Looking at the parts pdf. from M* there are two ceramic disc capacitors on the motor shield. You removed both? Not just the one to the left of the brushes?

Here is a picture of a 3065 with ESU decoder, magnet, supplied coils, and capacitor between brush holders.

Regards,

Thomas

UserPostedImage

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline aos  
#45 Posted : 21 April 2010 20:45:59(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Thanks Thomas. According to Ray's posting no: 34, he said to cut off all capacitors. I have removed the one in your picture. Would that account for my problems?

I have put my starter set digital loco onto the track and the MS recognised it immediately. It behaves as normal.

Offline Goofy  
#46 Posted : 21 April 2010 20:55:39(UTC)
Goofy

What about to sell all yours old analog locomotivs...?
And buy new digital locomotivs with sound! ThumpUp
And besides you will get more excellent finish sharp goodlooking new locomotivs...!!! ThumpUp

BigGrin
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline aos  
#47 Posted : 21 April 2010 20:58:39(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Goofy, that thought has crossed my mind :-((
Offline Goofy  
#48 Posted : 21 April 2010 21:04:01(UTC)
Goofy

aos wrote:
Goofy, that thought has crossed my mind :-((

Confused
I´m not understanding!
It was just an suggestment,because you did standing an question if it is worth to convert to digital with yours analog locomotivs.
It´s up to yourself!
Good luck anyway and have fun with digital world! ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline aos  
#49 Posted : 21 April 2010 21:05:42(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Thomas, answers to your questions -

The 3021 is on the track alone.

You say that the lights function - wrong, they are only extremely dim as though only a trickle of current is being received,

The ABV and light icons appear on the MS and can be operated. However, nothing actually happens with the lights.

But as you say, as the ABV also shows up on the MS, this would appear to show the decoder is operating.
When you throttle up does the motor make any noise at all - no noise, no movement as though it is binding?

Did you stay with the original 3 pole motor? Yes.

Perhaps try backing off the screws for the motor shield one or two turns? done - makes no difference.

Looking at the parts pdf. from M* there are two ceramic disc capacitors on the motor shield. You removed both? Not just the one to the left of the brushes? Yes, the one at the side and the one in the middle.

Offline GSRR  
#50 Posted : 21 April 2010 21:40:01(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
aos wrote:
Thomas, answers to your questions -

The 3021 is on the track alone.

You say that the lights function - wrong, they are only extremely dim as though only a trickle of current is being received,

The ABV and light icons appear on the MS and can be operated. However, nothing actually happens with the lights.

But as you say, as the ABV also shows up on the MS, this would appear to show the decoder is operating.
When you throttle up does the motor make any noise at all - no noise, no movement as though it is binding?

Did you stay with the original 3 pole motor? Yes.

Perhaps try backing off the screws for the motor shield one or two turns? done - makes no difference.

Looking at the parts pdf. from M* there are two ceramic disc capacitors on the motor shield. You removed both? Not just the one to the left of the brushes? Yes, the one at the side and the one in the middle.

Alan,

It would seem you have been through quite a few scenarios. It would appear that placing the single capacitor back to it's position as described in the ESU instruction (albeit for a delta) and as shown in my picture.

Unless someone else has a reason why that single capacitor should not be there, then give it a try.

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V