Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnmarklin  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2015 18:14:33(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Hi All,

I am looking for your assistance. I bought a Marklin Z Gauge 88731 set new a number of years ago and put it in storage pending the construction of a layout. I took the set out recently to run it but found that it will not run properly for me. The motors work and the wheels turn but the railcar will not move nor will it change directions. Any suggestions?

John
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2015 19:37:20(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Assuming you mean that the set as a whole will not move, you have to realise that, for reasons best known to themselves, Marklin designed that set (and others like it) to run as a whole, with the cars connected by power conducting couplers. If only one of those couplings doesn't conduct power, the train as a whole won't work - in the way that you describe. To compound a crime with a felony, the power conducting strips that form part of the couplers are quite fragile.

It's possible that, while assembling the set on the track, you accidentally bent one or more of the conducting strips. Assuming my diagnosis is right, you might be able to repair the offending coupling(s). Otherwise you'll need to order new ones from M*. A few months ago they were out of stock.

You have a set there that looks great, but it has poor electrical design. I am in the same position...
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline johnmarklin  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2015 23:43:32(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Gary,

Thank you for your reply. The connections are in good shape, motors work when the complete set is connected up but the wheels slip on the rails and the set just stays put. It is a mystery, I will keep on experimenting.

John
Offline ozzman  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2015 04:29:33(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
It sounds as if the two power cars are pulling in opposite directions, something I've seen before. What the cause is, I don't know. Maybe you could take it up with Marklin?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline johnmarklin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2015 18:15:57(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Thanks Gary,

I will investigate further.

John