Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nevw  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2014 05:23:31(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
AS Noted I have a 451 Crane.
What would be the most desirable Voltage to apply to this Wonderful item.

Any clues as to the AMPs that it draws??

I do have a 14V AC transformer which on a takeoff Leads I could fit a resistor to bring the VOltage down to desirable.

TA in advance

Nev

PS: do not really want to use the Blue or White Controllers as a Source.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2014 06:18:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The Marklin transformers will work the best, but I guess any similar AC power supply that outputs 18v or so would be good - 14v might be too low.

As the crane uses LFCM motors, the rule of thumb would be 10VA per motor, 1VA for each of the lights, and goodness knows what for the magnet, but say 5VA.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2014 07:26:30(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Thanks,

I have seen this one moving at a Nice slow speed and the powerwas supplied from an old Blue transformer. at about 1/2 speed so what would that voltage be??

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Renato  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2014 19:58:18(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Nev,

You can try to power the crane with the red-brown output sockets on the transformer, regulating the transformer voltage with the red knob, so you can set the desired speed and measure the voltage with a multimeter (if you have any).

But please do not change the direction with the knob, otherwise you have 24 V (too much...)

I do not know if the older 451 crane had a nominal voltage of 20 V, instead of 16 V of the more recent 7051 model.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Renato
Offline nevw  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2014 23:46:30(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Renato Go to Quoted Post
Hi Nev,

You can try to power the crane with the red-brown output sockets on the transformer, regulating the transformer voltage with the red knob, so you can set the desired speed and measure the voltage with a multimeter (if you have any).

But please do not change the direction with the knob, otherwise you have 24 V (too much...)

I do not know if the older 451 crane had a nominal voltage of 20 V, instead of 16 V of the more recent 7051 model.

Cheers

Renato

Thnaks Renato, unfortunately I do not have any of the old transformers with the red knob that regulates speed. I have a Maerklin 60VA power supply and also another brand that outputs 14V AC. so will give a test to see which is best.
If necessary I will adjust the power to the crane by putting a resister into the circuit.

N
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw