Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Davy  
#51 Posted : 07 October 2009 19:05:33(UTC)
Davy

Marklin has also begon with investments.

It is invested in CATIA (CAD of Daussault Systèmes). It is understood that the system will cost a round million. This was recently said at a press conference at the Märklin-days in Goppingen.
M-track with a CS2.
Offline frankie  
#52 Posted : 06 November 2009 14:25:02(UTC)
frankie

Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline Gregor  
#53 Posted : 06 November 2009 15:08:34(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
I'll give it a try:

Marklin: Model of a bankruptcy

What exactly happened at Marklin ? Author Stefan Tiyavorabun searches victims and those responsible. All this against the background of a medium-sized business icon of the German economy.
Marklin: Made in Germany or a obsolete model soon?
Model railroad, that’s the world in small size. And the Marklin bankruptcy shows very close-up what currently concerns the world: Banks who stop giving credits; Consultants who earn millions; Anonymous investors who buy traditional companies; Employees who become victims of untransparant intentions; Owners who battle amongst themselves. And last but not least, a Management making many mistakes.

What happened exactly at Marklin ?

After 150 years, the healthy (perfect) world of Marklin collapsed.

Author Stefan Tiyavorabun searches victims and those responsible. All this against the background of a medium-sized business icon of the German economy. Marklin, synonym for quality. A lighting example in the area of Goppingen, which provided pride and identity to the region and employed hundreds of people. And still Marklin makes the eyes of all railroad enthusiasts shine. MRR was an important step in a young life on the road towards being adult.

Maybe a native German speaker can dot the i's here. (I don't know what the German expression 'nachgehen fuer betrifft' means.)

Best regards,
Gregor

Offline steventrain  
#54 Posted : 06 November 2009 15:46:27(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Gregor
<br />

Maybe a native German speaker can dot the i's here. (I don't know what the German expression 'nachgehen fuer betrifft' means.)

'follow for concerns' Yahoo Translation.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Gregor  
#55 Posted : 06 November 2009 20:23:36(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Quote:
<br />I don't know what the German expression 'nachgehen fuer betrifft' means.
Now at home I found out (could not watch the video at work...) 'betrifft' is the name of the show. So nachgehen fuer 'betrifft' means to check out the facts for 'betrifft'

The video itself is nice, but does not provide any more information than we know already. Remarkable is a member of the Marklin family, who says: "Men used to play with trains, now they sit behind desks and play with buying and selling companies"

Pluta mentions the financial chaos, which blurs where the real costs are, and makes it difficult to make the right decisions.

The video also features Roland Gaugele (Mr. Marklin). Despite the fact that he has been dismissed, he stays to help tear down the exhibition layout for 150 years of Marklin.

Gregor
Offline Davy  
#56 Posted : 23 November 2009 15:56:38(UTC)
Davy

News from marklin.

Marklin will make this year 110 million euro. Reason China does not deliver their goods. I think the new MSII. This will be in 2010 and that will make the turnout up till 120 million in 2010.

http://www.stuttgarter-z...as-interessanteste-.html
M-track with a CS2.
Offline davemr  
#57 Posted : 23 November 2009 18:02:44(UTC)
davemr

Thanks for link Davy. My translator struggles a bit with this but lets be clear that Marklin did not make 110 Mill euros. This was in fact their turnover which is down from the previous year. If there is any profit then it will be around the 5 mill region which on their sales does seem very low.
Still no buyer appearing and there delays from China will not allow product in time for Christmas which will again reduce sales and profit.
Without all the required information it is difficult to know just how bad or good things are but I can see why there are not any buyers rushing to put up cash.
There customers are getting fewer and older (we here knew that anyway lol) and it is a shame they could not produce starter sets with a new MS2 for Christmas.
davemr
Offline steventrain  
#58 Posted : 23 November 2009 18:18:40(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the news and link, Davy.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline john black  
#59 Posted : 25 November 2009 00:52:38(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by davemr
<br />customers are getting fewer and older (we here knew that anyway lol)

Older ??? - now what, my friend. We're approaching lousy 60 but not 90 ... biggrin[}:)]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline davemr  
#60 Posted : 25 November 2009 13:00:36(UTC)
davemr

John we are only as old as we think we are and I reckon you and I are still in our teens.
davemr
Offline john black  
#61 Posted : 26 November 2009 01:12:43(UTC)
john black

United States   
Well said, Dave biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Minibahn  
#62 Posted : 27 November 2009 18:34:02(UTC)
Minibahn

Quote:
<br />Despite the fact that he has been dismissed, he stays to help tear down the exhibition layout for 150 years of Marklin.

Hello Gregor,

not really , this was the end of an exhibition in the Arp Museum Bahnhof Rolandseck in May 2009, when he was still in job.
Regards Charles
Offline Purellum  
#63 Posted : 01 December 2009 21:36:09(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Märklin now for sale on webshop:

http://www.plutashop.de/

http://shop.pluta.net/cg...0_509093,1&BT_1966=X

Preis auf Anfrage biggrin biggrin biggrin

( If no buyer is found before Christmas, next step will be Ebay biggrin )

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#64 Posted : 01 December 2009 21:48:17(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
<br />

( If no buyer is found before Christmas, next step will be Ebay biggrin )

Per.

Cool

I will bid if on ebay.[^]
Offline tekin65  
#65 Posted : 01 December 2009 23:39:12(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Latest news ...

9 potential buyers, sale will be realised after (or shortly before) Nürnberg fair 2010, don't ask how I got this info biggrin

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline dntower85  
#66 Posted : 02 December 2009 23:12:39(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />Latest news ...

9 potential buyers, sale will be realised after (or shortly before) Nürnberg fair 2010, don't ask how I got this info biggrin

Cem.

Does that mean they will release the names of the 9 potential buyers or the name of the buyer? I hope its the buyer and not who is bidding on the company.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline tekin65  
#67 Posted : 02 December 2009 23:44:48(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by dntower85
<br />I hope its the buyer and not who is bidding on the company.

Nope, the buyers. They are really keen on to choose who'd RUN the company, not fiddle around.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline tekin65  
#68 Posted : 02 December 2009 23:46:34(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />It's well known to insiders that Mr. Pluta provided his update at the creditor meeting today. Cool

Really? [xx(]

Then maybe you should have to provide that info before me? wink ... and I'm not an INSIDER!

How'd you like that winkie?

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline davemr  
#69 Posted : 03 December 2009 00:30:24(UTC)
davemr

Now we are after or before the fair. Previously we have had October etc.
I think this fellow Pluta should just carry on or buy it himself .. must have enough cash by now as administrator.
9 potential buyers all waiting for the price to drop or enjoying a free lunch.
China or Japan would be the best bet but I expect Mr Pluta will do what he can to keep M in German hands.
davemr
Offline nevw  
#70 Posted : 03 December 2009 00:49:22(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
<br />It's well known to insiders that Mr. Pluta provided his update at the creditor meeting today. Cool

Really? [xx(]

Then maybe you should have to provide that info before me? wink ... and I'm not an INSIDER!

How'd you like that winkie?

Cem.

Cem as we all know Lutz has strong views on who are suitable persons who can have Maerklin products.

Thus he would have strong views on who is most suitable person to BUY Maerklin and as such he is offering his advice to Mr Puta at lunch every other day. As such he is a real INSIDER. biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinwinkwinkwinkwinkwink
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#71 Posted : 03 December 2009 01:32:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />....and as such he is offering his advice to Mr Pluta at lunch every other day.

Which means Marklin will get sold to the Taiwanese or the South Americans. Or maybe even the Martians!
Offline john black  
#72 Posted : 03 December 2009 01:36:03(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />who are suitable persons ... who is most suitable person ...

Nev - playing "Mirror, Mirror On The Wall" or R U just kidding on us confused
Don't even think about it biggrin[}:)]biggrin[}:)]biggrin[}:)]

You or Bob or Cem or Dave or David (let alone Macca or me [xx(]) are the last ones eligible ...
Total lack of seriousness, that is [xx(]

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#73 Posted : 03 December 2009 02:27:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />Have neither interest nor urgency to do so.....

In which case then Lutzy Wutzy, you probably shouldn't bother posting at all!
Offline john black  
#74 Posted : 03 December 2009 02:59:14(UTC)
john black

United States   
Ouch ... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Offline jeehring  
#75 Posted : 03 December 2009 04:28:59(UTC)
jeehring

Quote:
<br />Thanks for link Davy. My translator struggles a bit with this ...(...)...
There customers are getting fewer and older (we here knew that anyway lol) and it is a shame they could not produce starter sets with a new MS2 for Christmas.

From your place - as me from mine - I'm wondering how we can get a correct view of the exact typology of customers of Marklin in Germany

You also seem to forget one thing: they are producing without the help of credit line, only with their own funds. It means = without any financial flexibility. And Christmas period often is overburdened....
Offline 7gauges  
#76 Posted : 03 December 2009 04:42:23(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
Then maybe you should have to provide that info before me?

Have neither interest nor urgency to do so; especially in spite of all the usual non-topic junk here (see entry posting).

I kind of suspected that you feel are far too "special" to add something useful - whatever.

Regardless Maerklin seems to have been doing much better since you stopped shamelessly "promoting" it and defending its ill conceived "business" decisions.

The improvement in quality and support have been stunning and dramatic in the last few months - and I understand sales have also shown a sharp rise.
Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
Offline tekin65  
#77 Posted : 03 December 2009 09:52:27(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />9 potential buyers all waiting for the price to drop or enjoying a free lunch.

Dave,

The person I spoke to said that they have no hurry and no worry at all as the company is making profit now. I guess they have reached to an understanding with the banks and other creditors.

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline tekin65  
#78 Posted : 03 December 2009 09:56:29(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
Then maybe you should have to provide that info before me?

Have neither interest nor urgency to do so; especially in spite of all the usual non-topic junk here (see entry posting).

Like David rightfully put it; why post your worthless comment then? If you have anything useful to say, say it!

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline tekin65  
#79 Posted : 03 December 2009 10:02:05(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
<br />Cem as we all know Lutz has strong views on who are suitable persons who can have Maerklin products.

Yes Nev, I know ... and it almost makes me cry everytime I buy a Märklin product biggrin

Cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline davemr  
#80 Posted : 03 December 2009 13:53:13(UTC)
davemr

Just ignore his posting .. probably be deleted anyway.

PS bet he is the other one that doesnt believe in Santa.

dave

This junk post is off to the rubbish tip where it will in time disappear.
davemr
Offline nevw  
#81 Posted : 04 December 2009 01:45:12(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />
Quote:
<br />who are suitable persons ... who is most suitable person ...

Nev - playing "Mirror, Mirror On The Wall" or R U just kidding on us confused
Don't even think about it biggrin[}:)]biggrin[}:)]biggrin[}:)]

You or Bob or Cem or Dave or David (let alone Macca or me [xx(]) are the last ones eligible ...
Total lack of seriousness, that is [xx(]

John, from another famous deleted post which shows that he has strong views that there are folk that are not "suited" to own a Marklin Product:
This one was in the topic What did you do to promote Märklin?

quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich

It's obvious that not everybody is "suited" for this impressive model train company and its great products. Lucky enough that's just a very marginal number. Märklin and it's worldwide enthusiasts can cope quite well even with that.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline davemr  
#82 Posted : 04 December 2009 21:40:48(UTC)
davemr

Anybody tell him that 'this impressive train firm 'went bust.
If nobody buys M he will be jumping off the bridge.

The delay in finding a buyer must be trying to find somebody suitable. lol

Now I am hoping I am really suitable to play with my Marklin on Christmas morning.
davemr
Offline Webmaster  
#83 Posted : 04 December 2009 21:55:41(UTC)
Webmaster

Please read the first post and the plea from the poster!
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline rhtastro  
#84 Posted : 09 January 2010 02:30:27(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
I have many tens of thousands of dollars tied up in Marklin products but I guess that from some people I'm one who is totally unsuitable to be a M customer or buyer. However, for some reason, I am interested in how the company is doing and if there really are real buyers for the business.

So, since the new year has arrived, what is the most recent news on the buyout front. Has there been any progress since Nov-Dec? I'm rather far away from the action here and most of my info comes from you who are much better informed. What's happening with Marklin now. Did they make money or lose it last year? Are they going to move or stay in Germany? Will they be around this time next year? What's the latest? Thanks in advance. BigGrin BigGrin Cool
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline davemr  
#85 Posted : 10 January 2010 23:54:13(UTC)
davemr

Bob. Being a private firm in administration nobody knows the true picture. All we have is what Herr Pluta says and at present he is unable to sell Marklin despite reducing the price.
Hopefully we can get a buyer at some point who can change this firm around and give us quality products as in the past.
davemr
Offline DV  
#86 Posted : 13 March 2010 14:43:59(UTC)
DV

Australia   
I was sent this message from one of my German mates about the insolvency and possible Lionel buy out.

This is the German version:-

NEW YORK. Der US-Modellbahnhersteller Lionel hat sich aus dem Bieterverfahren um seinen Göppinger Konkurrenten Märklin zurückgezogen. Dies erfuhr das Handelsblatt aus Unternehmenskreisen in New York. Lionel, ein Unternehmen mit mehr als hundertjähriger Tradition, galt bis vor kurzem als aussichtsreichster Kandidat bei der fast ein Jahr andauernden Suche nach einem neuen Eigentümer für Märklin. Das Göppinger Traditionsunternehmen war 2009 in seinem 150. Jubiläumsjahr insolvent gegangen.
Grund für den Rückzug von Lionel aus dem Bieterverfahren sind den Angaben zufolge die Preisvorstellungen von Insolvenzverwalter Michael Pluta. Der UImer Anwalt hatte in der Öffentlichkeit einen Preis von 60 bis 70 Mio. Euro genannt. Dies war den Amerikanern deutlich zu hoch - trotz der zuletzt positiven Nachrichten. Im Februar veröffentlichte Märklin seine Geschäftszahlen: 12,4 Mio. Euro Ebit bei 111 Mio. Umsatz. Allerdings wurde der Umsatz für das Gesamtjahr ausgewiesen und des Ebit bezog sich nur auf die letzten neun Monate. Außerdem zahlte nach der Insolvenz das Arbeitsamt drei Monate lang die Gehälter, danach musste jeder Märklin-Mitarbeiter 105 Stunden unbezahlte Arbeit leisten. Insider sprechen auch von außergewöhnlich hohen Lagerverkäufen. Diese Sonderfaktoren würden die Zahlen stark relativieren.
Der einzig bekannte verbleibende Bieter ist nun der US-Finanzinvestor Sun Capital. Pluta wollte sich auf Anfrage nicht zu Details des Bieterverfahrens äußern. ben/iw

and this is the translation using Google:-

The U.S. model train manufacturer, Lionel has withdrawn from the bidding for his rivals Göppinger Marklin. This is learned from the Handelsblatt business circles in New York. Lionel, a company with more than a century of tradition, was regarded until recently as the strongest contender in almost a year ongoing search for a new owner for Marklin. The company had 2009 150. Göppinger tradition in his Anniversary year, went bankrupt.
Are reason for withdrawal from the bidding by Lionel declared as the price expectations of administrator Michael Pluta. The UImer lawyer had called in the public with a price of 60 until 70 million. This was the Americans are clearly too high - despite the positive news recently. In February Märklin released its financial figures: 12.4 million Euro EBIT of 111 million turnover. However, the turnover was reported for the full year and the EBIT was referring only to the last nine months. In addition, paid after the bankruptcy the employment of three months' salaries, then each employee had to provide Märklin 105 hours unpaid work. Insiders also speak of abnormally high stock sales. These special factors were strongly relativized the numbers.
The remainder of the only known bidder is now the U.S. investment fund, Sun Capital. Pluta wanted to request not to comment on details of the bidding process. ben / iw

My German being nearly non existent, I presume the translation is correct. If someone out there can make it more readable, please have a try.

Looks as though Lionel has pulled out.

But who is Sun Capital?

And I thought Herr Pluta wouldn't sell to another investment company?

Anyone got anymore upto date info on this article?
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline David Dewar  
#87 Posted : 13 March 2010 21:43:21(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
THanks for info. Not surprising really. Nobody is going to pay much for a model firm that has gone bust with the present state of the economy. They talk about bidders but just who has been bidding. Looks like Herr Pluta will be keeping the firm for himself for a long time to come unless the price is more realistic.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline river6109  
#88 Posted : 14 March 2010 01:17:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Surprisingly, the english translation is almost perfect.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Webmaster  
#89 Posted : 14 March 2010 01:24:05(UTC)
Webmaster

I think it's ok that Pluta does not rush into things, seems like the company works ok under under his rule... Obviously the man has the vision of doing what is best for the company... M needs a stable situation after all the venturers milking the company of profits...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline soren36  
#90 Posted : 14 March 2010 05:10:38(UTC)
soren36

United States   
"But who is Sun Capital?"

Have a look:

http://www.suncappart.com/
A Connecticut Yankee
Offline steventrain  
#91 Posted : 14 March 2010 09:15:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for posting the news, Dusan.
Offline john black  
#92 Posted : 18 March 2010 01:30:45(UTC)
john black

United States   
Sun Capital ... the last thing M needs were another hopper UserPostedImage

Offline john black  
#93 Posted : 18 March 2010 01:39:05(UTC)
john black

United States   
And the tale of those "many buyers" been just that. A tale. As usual ... RollEyes

Offline petestra  
#94 Posted : 18 March 2010 20:37:23(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I hope Sun Capital does NOT happen. These kinds of companies are the worst! Peter
ThumbDown
Offline kimballthurlow  
#95 Posted : 19 March 2010 03:19:49(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
Sun Capital is quite an impressive company. If it was not, Pluta would not be talking to them.
Their web site shows that they have invested in a wide range of interests, from metals manufacture, retailing, furniture to foods, and hardware. The list includes a German company specialising in mail order homwares and apparel (neckermann.de).

(I have no interest or investment in Sun Capital - in fact until I read this article, I had never heard of them).

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 20 March 2010 09:48:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline jeehring  
#96 Posted : 20 March 2010 20:41:37(UTC)
jeehring

hi kimball & everybody,
Until now, from this Cie I only knew the name...(I'm wondering if it is a Chinese holding, I have a doubt about it) yes it looks like a big company. But it's a financial Cie., not a manufacturer.(another kind of Kingsbridge).
They don't care about long term activities, they only need immediate & yearly profit and they have a global approach of their wallet.
In Example : if they could get more profit they don't care to stop Marklin activity & don't hesitate sell Marklin factory + warehouse to someone who only wants to make a property operation...(to build a 5 stars luxury hotel or a golf court,or anything more profitable...)
My example is deliberately caricatural. But that's the wonderful world in which we are living today...

Edited by user 21 March 2010 20:04:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline David Dewar  
#97 Posted : 20 March 2010 21:19:13(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Roland. You are indeed right. Any investment firm is only interested in buying to sell again at a profit even if it means closing the firm and selling the assets. Nothing wrong with that as that is their business model.
Hopefully Marklin will go to somebody who wishes to keep it going but so dar there are none prepared to pay for it.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline H0  
#98 Posted : 20 March 2010 21:33:06(UTC)
H0

john black wrote:
And the tale of those "many buyers" been just that. A tale. As usual ... RollEyes

Sun Capital is not the last bidder, but the last known bidder. (At least that's what I hope.)

Mr. Pluta puts on his poker face and says that all negotiations are confidential.

I hope it's not a bluff - and one day he can present a bidder from the trade that actually buys Märklin and starts a new success story.

Time will tell if it's a tale - but the longer it takes the more reason there is to be sceptic.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#99 Posted : 21 March 2010 00:43:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Tom. If there were a lot of bidders the firm would have been sold before now and it is almost impossible to keep these things confidential. I am sure in Germany there will be quite a lot of interest in the sale of Marklin and papers or somebody would pick up on any interested parties.
If any business is worth buying it is usually sold pretty quickly to the highest bidder as the Administrator does not want a job for life running the firm and the creditors want paid.
I expect any offers that may have been made will be well below the asking price and the original tale of sixty bidders etc was in my view fantasy. You will get people interested in looking at the business and getting a few free lunches before disappearing which happens in all these situations. These are not bidders and have no intentions of buying at the asking price or above.
I expect something will happen before the end of the year and Marklin will be sold for well below the present price.
As long as the firm keeps going and giving us our models that is the main concern.
Offline H0  
#100 Posted : 21 March 2010 02:18:40(UTC)
H0

David Dewar wrote:
As long as the firm keeps going and giving us our models that is the main concern.

Yes, David. "Unsold and making profit" is better than "sold to a hopper".
Another main concern for me is keeping the jobs that still are in Göppingen in Göppingen.
It's not all "Made in Germany" but they still make something in Germany.

Mr. Pluta can show a poker face now - but one of these days he'll have to show his cards.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage