Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2009 23:05:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello All,

I have started this thread for people to post updates on the progress of the Maerklin insolvency/recovery.

PLEASE DO NOT POST Commentary, Opinions or OT Messages here.

This way, this thread can be (and remain) a convenient way to find out the latest developments without getting side tracked.

If you have any comments, opinions or reactions, please post them in one of the existing threads and link it to the post that you are referring to or responding to.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Minibahn  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2009 11:09:12(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

the "confidential" letter, Mr. Pluta wrote to the people interested in buying Marklin.

Translation by Google, source Ferpress :

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for your interest in buying the company Gebr. Märklin & Cie. Ltd.

Gladly we will contact you under the following conditions in further negotiations, provided that the confidentiality is preserved, including that ever negotiated.

Please send us an appropriate first evidence available that a total investment of approximately EUR 100 million to fund (bank confirmation of this or any other appropriate documentation).

Next, you will receive a signed confidentiality statement to submit.

The actual negotiations with the interested parties who wish to submit evidence and sent the confidentiality statement, will be the earliest start at the end of April.

Once again, we would be happy to hear from you.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Pluta
Lawyer
Sworn auditors
Lawyer specializing in bankruptcy law
- Provisional liquidator --
Regards Charles
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2009 22:41:34(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
biggrin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich:
As well as expected, Mr. Pluto has been assigned as formal insolvency manager;
thus will continue from his preliminary role.

Pluto as the Greek god of the Underworld or as a friend of Goofy confused

Per.

P.S: Sorry Mike, I couldn't resist [}:)]

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2009 03:40:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The response to the slip up was funny. It should however have been made in another thread and linked to the message in this thread, so that this thread would remain limited only to information pertaining directly to the developments at Maerklin.

Regards

Mike C
Offline ozzman  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2009 09:43:49(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Mike. Any updates or news?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2009 16:23:16(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by ozzman
<br />Hi Mike. Any updates or news?

I check the stummi forum but no sign of news.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2009 07:52:03(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />
Quote:
<br />Hi Mike. Any updates or news?

I check the stummi forum but no sign of news.

After much chatter in February and early March, there has been very little to report over the past few weeks.

I was hoping to hear a little more about the firms that may have come forward as well. Normally, companies expressing interest in acquiring a firm in liquidation are given the right to examine the books.
This can then lead to some contenders dropping out and the serious candidates being identified. So far, this has not occurred or has not been reported.

As soon as there is news, it will be posted here.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Minibahn  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2009 14:07:47(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

the next dates :

May, 25 = first meeting of Mr. Pluta and the creditors in the court of Goeppingen. Mr. Pluta will inform what he has done so far. Basically, the creditors can choose another liquidator.

June, 15 = the claims of the creditors are proofed.
Regards Charles
Offline Minibahn  
#9 Posted : 29 May 2009 17:30:42(UTC)
Minibahn

Hello,

in a press release Mr. Pluta writes :

Quote :

Meeting of creditors unanimously appoints Michael Pluta as receiver in insolvency.
For the continuation, I have elaborated a target financial plan and an organization chart.
In weekly meetings of the management board, actual-target comparisons have been discussed. Currently, we are on schedule.
Registered debts amounted to 110 million Euros on May 25, 2009. 609 creditors have filed claims.

End of quote.

Answering a question of one of the creditors, he pretented that he does not know, how much Marklin sold in the first three month of 2009.
Regards Charles
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 30 May 2009 01:51:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
HI Charles,
Did Mr Pluta give any timetable for revelation or elaboration on a purchaser?
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline ozzman  
#11 Posted : 31 May 2009 14:04:56(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Thanks for the update Charles.
Gary
Z Scale
Offline hgk  
#12 Posted : 12 June 2009 09:28:21(UTC)
hgk

Hi,
This isn't very new but I just came across it and thought it might
be interesting for those who haven't seen it already.

https://www.miroguide.com/items/1713239?page=5

-george
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 13 June 2009 01:35:28(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hgk
<br />Hi,
This isn't very new but I just came across it and thought it might
be interesting for those who haven't seen it already.

https://www.miroguide.com/items/1713239?page=5

-george

I have see it before in Early March.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 18 June 2009 14:49:33(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally posted by member steventrain in another thread. I figure it is also of interest here.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Update 15 June 2009.

Germany text
http://www.swr.de/nachri...1622/did=4971994/5g79hj/

Brothers is to look for investors for Märklin
The Frankfurt investment bank CLOSE Brothers is to write still further investors down for the insolvent Göppinger model course manufacturer Märklin purposefully. Meanwhile the demands of the creditors were examined.

Not yet all possible takeover candidates on their part would have announced themselves, said insolvency administrator Michael Pluta. On Friday the insolvency administrator had communicated that the investor process from now on “by the investment bank are accompanied professional” was. The committee of creditors had decided for CLOSE Brothers. So far after Plutas instructions seven investors announced serious interest.

Besides Pluta examined the demands of the Märklin creditors. Afterwards it recognized first demands at a value of approximately 78 million euros as entitled on. Approximately 600 creditors could after Plutas instructions demands concerning altogether approximately 110 million euros make valid.

Creditors can inquire in the Internet
However so far only 102 million euros were announced. The insolvency administrator counts on the fact that individual messages are submitted only later. The results of the test date can see the creditors in the Internet.

Märklin had had to announce insolvency in February after problems for many years. The next committee of creditors meeting takes place on 12 July at the Hungarian Märklin location Györ.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline James  
#15 Posted : 10 July 2009 01:23:02(UTC)
James

Canada   
For those who may be interested...

I was just told about a recent interview with Herr Plunta regarding Maerklin's woes. It's in German and I haven't had time to decode it yet, but I'm told it's a positive spinbiggrin The site is

&lt;http://www.tagesspi egel.de/wirtscha ft/Unternehmen- Maerklin- Arcandor; art129,2834952&gt;
Regards
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline dntower85  
#16 Posted : 10 July 2009 01:34:35(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
James, thanks for the link, here is a google translation

"

The administrator of Märklin, Michael Pluta, about the search for investors and the risks for investors.

Michael Pluta looks over an investment bank now also interested in foreign countries. - Photo: dpa

Mr. Pluta, how's Märklin?

I am very pleased that we are in the plan. We have a normal order, and we will be in the black this year to write - if the insolvency-related costs such as for social plans and severance payments deducted.

So it will still give Märklin Christmas?

Yes, of course.

And the spare parts too?

Of course. In Germany there is the misconception that the bankruptcy means the end. That is nonsense, but you get out of the heads is not out. Here in Germany we have the best bankruptcy laws in Europe.

How long could Märklin still remain in bankruptcy? The employees would not receive money from the insolvency of the Federal Agency for more work.

Theoretically, forever. The salaries for our employees, we now earn themselves, so there is no immediate pressure to act. But this is obviously not the goal. We are looking for a buyer.

Why you can with the construction of model railways earn money, while the previous owners for years have lost money?

Among the previous owners, I would like to not comment. I'll tell you but check out what we have done. We also have offices for our employees is deleted, but we have especially in the head removed. You know, the acquittal of many chefs. We now have only a chef, Dr. Inger Seitz, and six auxiliary cooks in the leadership. The guided the company. Previously there were three managers and 14 people. And the whole group gets only be a bonus if the company makes a profit overall. Otherwise not.

Was it different from earlier?

There used to be bonus payments for everything, not just for profit. There was some money for the achievement of plan, if one has produced enough, or for your perseverance. I have the impression that we now have very good team. All except Dr. Inger Seitz and I come from the companies that are fighting now for the further development of the company.

Did Märklin customers lost through the insolvency?

No, nobody is abgesprungen. We now have again a large order from Aldi for the Christmas get.

Supposedly it seven investors who are interested Märklin. Now you have the investment bank Close Brothers to carry out further potential investors. Are you seven is not enough?

I would like to see will not listen to the allegation that the process is not professional enough. Therefore, we employ an investment banker, as a broker, investors cared search. This is also a time and quantity problem.

For whom?

For every investor needs at least one week, then each of the possible need investors still two weeks to the documents with his accountant go through. If we do that alone, we can never comply with our timetable.

What of?

I hope Märklin in August or September to be able to sell. But if not, it's not bad. Then it will stop either February or March.

Reckon with other investors about the seven already out?

I do not expect another 100 interested parties to come. Maybe there are a few, but we want the process as a professional guide. The investment bank is to target potential investors - also abroad. So far we have not done so. The whole thing will probably still take two to three months.

Where are the seven investors?

At present, investors say we are not.

Would you Märklin also a financial investor to sell after the previous owner of Kingsbridge, the company in bankruptcy has driven?

Märklin I will only sell to someone who is permanently remain. And the possibilities for development of the enterprise systems. This is not a financial investor who, after three years off. Money is in the selection of the buyer is not everything.

Can the contract specify?

No, but you can see the already interested in what they intend.

There is an "initiative Märklin Help" - fans who have money for a takeover of Märklin collect ...

Since then we must ask: Cui bono?

Who uses it?

There are many women who now call us and ask if she and her husband for Christmas gifts a share certificate, and whether we use. I say if your a man and a joy we want to make him buy you prefer a locomotive. This is the first. The Second: Märklin is our name. And the slogan "Save Märklin" does not fit me. We do not need any donations. Märklin is saved. In addition, the investment for those who join in, go to back off.

Why?

Suppose that at the "Help Märklin" come 100 million euros, but we still sell to another, then the payment does not get its 100 per cent, but a much lesser extent. The minus is ten o'clock-15 o'clock percent. Because I wonder who the other ten to 15 million euros? Märklin certainly not.

Bankruptcy automatically triggers a further bankruptcies from?

If the bad debt losses are correspondingly high, yes. Take Arcandor. Since depends Märklin also with 400 000 euros in it, but we are insured and thus get our money. If you do not have insurance, you can have problems. Or, when customers go into bankruptcy, then break away the jobs. The economic crisis means that only the best companies and persevere financially.

If the failure to accumulate, it will be difficult for the liquidator, to find investors?

So is this the investors have a wider choice. For the liquidator is a better balanced economy. Previously, we had company for half a year in our administration, today there are one to five years. The maximum that I had been seven years - that was a machine, then unfortunately we had to adjust.

Can insolvency at the beginning of the insolvency predict whether the company has a chance?

Often you can not foresee at the beginning. Sometimes we say, this company, we can not sell, and then it goes. In the area of software and inventions are even partly paid exorbitant prices.

How important is the administrator for the question whether a bankrupt company survive?

The administrator is the figure of the fate of bankruptcy. Everything depends on him.

Be a good administrator just?

No. Even if you already have a large mandate, has taken over, you still capacity. We are working in parallel on several procedures. In our office there are 230 employees. For Märklin eight I had initially set up, now it's still three. One must see that his staff is retracted so that the company gradually recover from their own business can be.

The interview was conducted by Heike Jahberg.
"
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 10 July 2009 01:45:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sounds positive enough!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline ozzman  
#18 Posted : 10 July 2009 02:46:17(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Thanks for the updates. Herr Pluta seems to be doing a very good job, and that gives me confidence in the future.
Gary
Z Scale
Offline davemr  
#19 Posted : 10 July 2009 18:32:38(UTC)
davemr

Plenty of talk about investors but still no buyer. Any party who really wants Marklin should have bought by now. Am I right in saying they are now looking overseas for a buyer if so why not earlier.
Buyers should contact the seller with offers if they are keen to own the firm if however the seller is looking to attract buyers then in the present economic position is not the right time. Meanwhile the administraters will be doing very nicely as in fact all are at this time.
davemr
Offline TomB  
#20 Posted : 10 July 2009 19:37:27(UTC)
TomB

Hello Dave.

Pluta is not in a hurry. He said one month ago, perhaps they had a buyer in august or september. We must wait patiently.
Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
Offline dntower85  
#21 Posted : 10 July 2009 20:03:05(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
<br />Thanks for the updates. Herr Pluta seems to be doing a very good job, and that gives me confidence in the future.

I agree, he has cut the wast with out cutting production and the ability to make money. And he hasn't tried to change the company into something that it is not. Now if only there is a buyer out there that will do the same thing.
DT
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline davemr  
#22 Posted : 10 July 2009 22:55:46(UTC)
davemr

Hi Tom I agree that Mr Pluta will not be in a hurry but where a firm is up for sale and is seen as a profitable purchase interested parties will come in quickly with an offer to buy before others do.
At present Marklin is only profitable because it does not need to service or repay its debts and can cover the workforce from current sales.
However the name should still be worth buying if the business can be turned round but this would in my view need changes which to date have not been made.
I am happy as long as I can buy my locos and track and hope there is a future for the firm.

dave
davemr
Offline rschaffr  
#23 Posted : 10 July 2009 23:22:28(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I am greatly encouraged by the interview. Herr Pluta seems to be taking a cautious approach to the sale in order to find the "Right" buyer who will take the company into the future, not look for short term gains. As to the speed, as long as the company is operating and producing goods, there is no hurry. A prudent investor will take their time to see if the Company will remain stable (sales and service) and to do due diligence to insure that the buyer is getting what they think they are getting.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline TroyYang  
#24 Posted : 10 July 2009 23:25:58(UTC)
TroyYang

Sounds like M is going to have positive cash flow and the downsizing is working.

Troy
San Francisco, USA
Marklin HO - all eras and everything.
Offline steventrain  
#25 Posted : 10 July 2009 23:32:33(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the translation.
Offline davemr  
#26 Posted : 11 July 2009 01:46:43(UTC)
davemr

Hi Ron. I hope you are right. However having been involoved in may takeovers and purchases of bust firms the rule is the longer it takes the more difficult it is to sell.
It is unlikely that an adminstrator will know if a buyer is right for a firm, he can only listen to the buyers views and accept them for what they are. Once the firm is sold the buyer will do as they wish.
My experience is only with public companies and I have little knowledge of the German insolvency laws and I have sympathy with smaller firms who may not have been paid by Marklin.
I would like to see the business run by a good quality toy firm like Hornby but I think that is unlikely.
Meanwhile as I said before I am happy just buying their locos which I think represent the best value in the toy train market.
davemr
Offline rschaffr  
#27 Posted : 11 July 2009 02:20:38(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Dave:

You are correct in your caution. Only time and events will tell the true outcome, however I am encouraged that Herr Pluta appears to be taking his responsibilities seriously and doing the best he can to assure the future of the brand.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline davemr  
#28 Posted : 11 July 2009 15:02:27(UTC)
davemr

Hi Ron. I agree that Herr Pluta does appear to be the man for the job. I would like to see him put somebody in charge of the Marklin Club as the forum is showing a lot of problems in this respect and any adverse publicity is not good at this time.
davemr
Offline river6109  
#29 Posted : 11 July 2009 16:22:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

I've translated most of the text from german into english

regards.,
John

Märklin
"Wir hängen auch bei Arcandor drin"
Der Insolvenzverwalter von Märklin, Michael Pluta, über die Suche nach Investoren und die Risiken für Anleger.

Michael Pluta sucht über eine Investmentbank jetzt auch nach Interessenten im Ausland. -

Herr Pluta, wie geht’s Märklin? Mr. Pluto, how is Märklin performing ?

Ich bin sehr zufrieden, wir sind im Plan. Wir haben einen normalen Auftragseingang, und wir werden in diesem Jahr schwarze Zahlen schreiben – wenn man die insolvenzbedingten Kosten etwa für Sozialpläne und Abfindungen abzieht.
I'm very satisfied and we are on track.
We have steady orders und we will be able to get into the black this year without the insolvency costs.

Also wird es Märklin Weihnachten noch geben?
Will Märklin still be here at Christmas ?

Ja, selbstverständlich.
Definitely

Und die Ersatzteile auch?
and the Spareparts aswell ?

Natürlich. In Deutschland gibt es den Irrglauben, dass die Insolvenz das Ende bedeutet. Das ist Unsinn, aber man kriegt das aus den Köpfen nicht raus. Dabei haben wir in Deutschland das beste Insolvenzrecht von ganz Europa.

Naturally. In Germany, there is this crazy thought, Insolvency is the end.
this is totally insane but people are intrenched with the idea.
the insolvencelaw are the best in Europe.
Wie lange könnte Märklin noch in der Insolvenz bleiben? Die Mitarbeiter bekommen ja kein Insolvenzgeld von der Bundesagentur für Arbeit mehr.
How long can Märklin stay in insolvency ? Also the employees don't get any more insolvency wages for their work.

Theoretisch ewig. Die Gehälter für unsere Mitarbeiter verdienen wir jetzt selbst, also gibt es keinen unmittelbaren Handlungsdruck. Aber das ist natürlich nicht das Ziel. Wir suchen einen Käufer.

Theorectical forever. We are paying the employees, so there is no presure from the industry., however this is not our goal, we are seeking a buyer.

Wieso können Sie mit dem Bau von Modelleisenbahnen Geld verdienen, während die früheren Eigentümer jahrelang Verluste gemacht haben?

How come you can earn money from producing modeltrains when the previous Owners year after year losses occured ?

Zu den früheren Eigentümern möchte ich mich nicht äußern. Ich sag Ihnen aber mal, was wir gemacht haben. Wir haben zwar auch Stellen bei unseren Mitarbeitern gestrichen, aber wir haben vor allem in der Spitze abgebaut. Sie kennen doch den Spruch von den vielen Köchen. Wir haben jetzt nur noch einen Chefkoch, den Dr. Seitzinger, und sechs Hilfsköche in der Führung. Die leiten das Unternehmen. Vorher waren es drei Geschäftsführer und 14 Leute. Und die ganze Gruppe bekommt nur noch dann einen Bonus, wenn die Firma insgesamt einen Gewinn macht. Sonst nicht.
For the previous owners, I rather not comment.
However I'll tell you what we have done.
We have layed off some of the employees but mainly at the top end of executives.
You know the saying: too many cooks spoil the broth.
We have now 1 executive chef, Mr. Dr. Seitzinger and six offsider
Before there have been 3 and 14 associated offsiders.
the whole executives will get one bonus when the whole firm a profit shows. that's it.

War das früher anders?
Was this different before ?

Früher gab es Bonuszahlungen für alles Mögliche, nur nicht für den Gewinn. Es gab etwa Geld für die Planerreichung, wenn man genügend produziert hat, oder fürs Durchhalten. Ich habe den Eindruck, dass wir jetzt eine sehr gute Mannschaft haben. Alle bis auf Dr. Seitzinger und mich kommen aus dem Unternehmen, die kämpfen jetzt für die Weiterentwicklung der Firma.
Before it was bonus payment for all sorts of reasons, but anything linked to profits. Payments have been made for achieving planed goals or for getting through the plan.
I feel we have a very good team, Everyone except Mr. Dr. Seitzinger and myself, are from Märklin itself, fighting for the future and continuation of this company.

Hat Märklin Kunden durch die Insolvenz verloren?
Has Märklin lost Buyers because of the insolvency ?

Nein, niemand ist abgesprungen. Wir haben jetzt auch wieder einen großen Auftrag von Aldi für das Weihnachtsgeschäft bekommen.

No, no one has jumped the ship. We have again received a huge order from Aldi for the christmas season.

Angeblich soll es sieben Investoren geben, die sich für Märklin interessieren. Jetzt haben Sie die Investmentbank Close Brothers damit beauftragt, noch weitere mögliche Investoren anzusprechen. Sind Ihnen sieben nicht genug?
Apparently ther are 7 investors Märklin are interested in.
In meanwhile you have engaged Investment bank Close Brother to bring or search for more investors. Are 7 not enough for you ?

Ich möchte mir später nicht den Vorwurf anhören, dass der Prozess nicht professionell genug war. Daher beschäftigen wir einen Investmentbanker, der wie ein Makler die Investorensuche betreut. Das ist auch ein Zeit- und Mengenproblem.

I don't like to be accused later on, that the process was limited or not fully professional.
this is why we have engaged in an investmant banker, to be able to look after any ptpential investors.
It is also a time and volume problem for us.

Für wen?
For whom ?

Für jeden Investor braucht man mindestens eine Woche, dann benötigt jeder der möglichen Investoren noch zwei Wochen, um die Unterlagen mit seinem Wirtschaftsprüfer durchzugehen. Wenn wir das allein machen, können wir unseren Zeitplan nie einhalten.
For every investor we need atleast a week, than we need an other 2 weeks to go through all the papers to confirm that the are above board.
If we would do this ourselves we would'nt be able to keep a timeplan to execute a sale.

Wie sieht der aus?
How does it look ?

Ich wünsche mir, Märklin im August oder September verkaufen zu können. Aber wenn nicht, ist das auch nicht schlimm. Dann wird es halt Februar oder März.
I hope and wish, we will be able to sell Märklin by August or September but if not, which is'nt a bad omen, it will be February or March.

Rechnen Sie mit weiteren Investoren über die sieben bereits vorhandenen hinaus?
Are you anticipating to receive more than 7 investors ?

Ich erwarte nicht, dass noch 100 Interessenten dazu kommen. Vielleicht werden es noch ein paar, aber wir wollen den Prozess möglichst professionell begleiten. Die Investmentbank soll mögliche Investoren gezielt ansprechen – auch im Ausland. Bisher haben wir das nicht getan. Das Ganze dauert bestimmt noch zwei bis drei Monate.
I don't think so, that we will receive another 100 interested parties.
Maybe we'll get another 2 but we like to keep the process professional.
The investment bank will negotiate with investors, aswell from outside of Germany.
to date, we have'nt done this. the whole process will; be another 2 to 3 month.
Woher kommen die sieben Investoren?
Where do the 7 investors come from ?

Zu den derzeitigen Investoren äußern wir uns nicht.
We make no comment about the current investors.

Würden Sie Märklin auch wieder an einen Finanzinvestor verkaufen, nachdem der frühere Eigentümer Kingsbridge das Unternehmen in die Insolvenz getrieben hat?
would you sell Märklin again to a finance investor, after Kingsbridge drove it into insolvency ?

Ich will Märklin nur an jemanden verkaufen, der dauerhaft dabeibleiben will. Und der Entwicklungsmöglichkeiten für das Unternehmen aufzeigt. Das kann nicht ein Finanzinvestor sein, der nach drei Jahren wieder aussteigt. Geld wird bei der Auswahl des Käufers nicht alles sein.
I will sell Märklin only to such an investor, he who will stay with the firm and who shows interest and commitment for the future for this company.
It will be impossible for an investor to say good by after 3 years.
After we've decided who the buyer will be, money will not be everything.

Kann man das vertraglich festlegen?
Can you make this as a legal contract ?

Nein, aber man merkt den Interessenten schon an, was sie vorhaben.
No, but we will notice the intention the investor has shown.

Es gibt eine „Initiative Märklinhilfe“ – Fans, die Geld für eine Übernahme von Märklin sammeln …
A „Initiative Märklinhilfe“ exists, fans who collect money to operate Märklin

Da muss man sich fragen: Cui bono?

ONe would have to ask: Cui bono ?

Wem nutzt es?
Who would benefit from ?

Es gibt viele Frauen, die jetzt bei uns anrufen und fragen, ob sie ihrem Mann zu Weihnachten einen Anteilsschein schenken sollen und ob uns das nützt. Ich sage dann, wenn Sie Ihrem Mann und uns eine Freude machen wollen, kaufen Sie ihm lieber eine Lokomotive. Das ist das Erste. Das Zweite: Märklin ist unser Name. Und der Slogan „Rettet Märklin“ passt mir auch nicht. Wir brauchen keine Spenden. Märklin ist gerettet. Außerdem kann die Investition für die, die mitmachen, nach hinten los gehen.
We have many females, they telephone us and asking, if they could give a type of shareticket and if that would help Märklin.
I'll tell them, buy your husband a loco and you make us both happy.
this is the first point.
the second point is Märklin is our Logo and the slogan: "Rescue Märklin" doesn't impress me either.
We do not need any rescue package. Märklin has been rescued.
Also, the ones that continue to carry on with it, will start at the end.

Warum?
Why ?

Angenommen, bei der „Märklinhilfe“ kommen 100 Millionen Euro zusammen, aber wir verkaufen dann trotzdem an einen anderen, dann bekommen die Einzahler nicht ihre 100 Prozent zurück, sondern einen viel geringeren Teil. Das Minus kann zwischen zehn und 15 Prozent liegen. Da frage ich mich, wer hat die anderen zehn bis 15 Millionen Euro? Märklin sicherlich nicht.
Hypothetical speaking, with the "Märklin Rescue" 100 Million euros are collected but we will sell it regardless to another investor, than the Märklin Help investors will not get their 100 % back instead they'll get 10 or 15 % back, a substantial smaller amount.
And who has the other 10 to 15 Millions, definitely not Märklin.

Löst eine Insolvenz automatisch weitere Pleiten aus?
will the insolvency automatically wipe off any further debth ?

Wenn die Forderungsausfälle entsprechend hoch sind, ja. Nehmen Sie Arcandor. Da hängt Märklin auch mit 400 000 Euro drin, aber wir sind versichert und bekommen daher unser Geld. Wenn man keine Versicherung hat, kann man schon Probleme bekommen. Oder wenn Kunden in die Insolvenz gehen, dann brechen die Aufträge weg. Die Wirtschaftskrise führt dazu, dass nur die besten und kapitalkräftigsten Firmen durchhalten.

I'm not in a postion to translate this paragraph, not knowing the circumstances.

the following paragraphs are not particular related to Märklin's outcome, merely an overall view of and about insolvency firms and their policies.

Wenn sich die Insolvenzen häufen, wird es dann für die Insolvenzverwalter schwieriger, Investoren zu finden?

So ist das. Die Investoren haben eine größere Auswahl. Für die Insolvenzverwalter ist eine ausgeglichene Konjunktur besser. Früher hatten wir Unternehmen ein halbes Jahr in unserer Verwaltung, heute sind es ein bis fünf Jahre. Das Maximale, was ich hatte, waren sieben Jahre – das war eine Maschinenfabrik, die wir dann leider einstellen mussten.

Können Insolvenzverwalter zu Beginn der Insolvenz absehen, ob das Unternehmen eine Chance hat?

Häufig kann man das zu Beginn nicht absehen. Manchmal sagen wir, diese Firma können wir nicht verkaufen, und dann geht es doch. Im Softwarebereich und bei Erfindungen werden sogar zum Teil horrende Preise bezahlt.

Wie wichtig ist der Insolvenzverwalter für die Frage, ob eine Pleitefirma überlebt?

Der Verwalter ist die Schicksalsfigur der Insolvenz. An ihm hängt alles.

Werden gute Insolvenzverwalter knapp?

Nein. Auch wenn man bereits ein großes Mandat übernommen hat, hat man noch Kapazitäten. Wir arbeiten parallel an mehreren Verfahren. In unserer Kanzlei gibt es 230 Mitarbeiter. Für Märklin hatte ich anfangs acht eingesetzt, jetzt sind es noch drei. Man muss sehen, dass man sein Personal zurückfährt, damit das Unternehmen allmählich wieder aus eigener Kraft wirtschaften kann.

Das Interview führte Heike Jahberg.

Zur Person

DER VERWALTER

Michael Pluta (59) ist vereidigter Buchprüfer und Fachanwalt für Insolvenzrecht. Seine Kanzlei hat Standorte in 21 deutschen Städten, darüber hinaus gibt es noch Büros in Italien und Spanien.

MÄRKLIN

Firmengründer Theodor Friedrich Wilhelm Märklin hatte 1859 zunächst Puppenküchen gebaut. Heute ist Märklin mit einem Jahresumsatz von rund 120 Millionen Euro Europas größter Modellbahnhersteller. 2006 wurde das Familienunternehmen von den Finanzinvestoren Kingsbridge und Goldman Sachs vor der Pleite gerettet. Im Februar dieses Jahres rutschte Märklin endgültig in die Insolvenz.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline steventrain  
#30 Posted : 21 July 2009 23:59:30(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Update 21/7/09

http://www.finanznachric...n-endgueltig-ein-015.htm

Sorry Can't get in English.[xx(]
Offline dntower85  
#31 Posted : 22 July 2009 01:09:51(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
thanks steven,

Google translate did not do much good on this one. but from what I can gather the marklinLife deal fell through and they fear closebrothers will liquidate. here is were the original article came from http://www.mlt-hilfe.de/
DT
Offline Renato  
#32 Posted : 22 July 2009 12:57:30(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi all,

Babelfish translation of site http://www.mlt-hilfe.de/

Starting side
Out for Märklin? - “Märklinhilfe” may not help

The initiative for the rescue of the insolvent toy railway manufacturer Märklin, started in Berlin as Märklinhilfe, stops its activities now finally. The creditors' meeting let communicate that the committee of creditors decided on 13 July 2009 to exclude the Märklinhilfe from the investor process. A reason was not called. A constructional co-operation with the committee of creditors and the insolvency administrator is no longer possible in consequence of permanent changes of the timetable in the sense of the Märklin fans. Initially the idea to set up and place by the capital thousands of investors on a broad basis Märklin as a public company supported. Also in relation to the public it was stated that Märklin should become public company. For the conversion of the capital A ADVERTISEMENt on the part of the BaFin an issuing prospectus authorized for publication was provided and one of the largest financial selling as sales partners was won.

For not comprehensible reasons however the sheet turned. „With the beginning of a advertisement of investor capital the insolvency administrator expressed itself critically in relation to the press, warned of possible losses, if the Märklinhilfe comes and announced not to the course, it conditions six investors with in each case 100 million euro capital for the order to save the fastened enterprise. Despite these allegedly investors already existing CLOSE Brothers, was assigned an English investment bank to find possible further investors. „Strange, beside the Märklinhilfe six further investors are if already available “, say Dr. Scholz. Silence in the forest was also the most frequent reaction, if the Märklinhilfe strove as a seriously taking investor around discussions. „Us it was clear starting from the public warning of the insolvency administrator that we should be braked, so that the selling was immediately stopped “, explains the attorney Stefan divine one as further managing directors of the Märklinhilfe.

“Märklin from view of the Märklinhilfe thus cannot convert „the timetable future. The passengers would have to book for this a roll course, which is like that not to be expected to them. „Natural we will back refund to all investors the entire insert together with agio and have now the developed loss of several hundredthousand euros on the own cap to take “, say RA divine one. Completely contrary to what was maintained occasionally in the media, it concerned the Märklinhilfe to no time to enrich itself at the fastened enterprise and its fan. „We wanted to set an indication for other enterprises in Germany, which are in a similar situation as Märklin and by the certainly existing capital will alive receive could “, mean Scholz. Obviously still substantially more must happen in Germany, until this is understood. But then it is already too late for many enterprises.

The following is precarious from our view: At least in a case the insolvency administrator has experiences with CLOSE Brothers. That „cared for “enterprise (company Kittel) at that time developed negatively. Specialists in Germany again and again criticize the approach of the insolvency administrators, which place the further existence of the enterprises than other interests less in some cases into the foreground. Could Märklin already shortly be a further example of it?

Bye

Renato
Offline steventrain  
#33 Posted : 22 July 2009 19:51:35(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the translation, Renato.
Offline tekin65  
#34 Posted : 23 July 2009 12:37:02(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi,

I'm not really aware of the financial position of Märklin but I wonder what would happen if creditors go for liquidation?

Do you think if it is possible somebody buy the moulds and continue producing - maybe buy the Märklin name too and produce under Märklin name?

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline davemr  
#35 Posted : 23 July 2009 14:30:52(UTC)
davemr

I would like to know where all the buyers are that we were told wanted the firm.
davemr
Offline sjlauritsen  
#36 Posted : 23 July 2009 18:34:07(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />Hello All,
PLEASE DO NOT POST Commentary, Opinions or OT Messages here.

This way, this thread can be (and remain) a convenient way to find out the latest developments without getting side tracked.

If you have any comments, opinions or reactions, please post them in one of the existing threads and link it to the post that you are referring to or responding to.

Everybody, please respect the purpose of this thread, and post your comments elsewhere.

Best regards
Søren
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline davemr  
#37 Posted : 23 July 2009 23:21:56(UTC)
davemr

ooops.
davemr
Offline steventrain  
#38 Posted : 09 August 2009 14:01:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Investigations on Marklin.

http://www.suedkurier.de...litaet;art330342,3893446

Nothing news.
Offline john black  
#39 Posted : 09 August 2009 23:00:14(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />Investigations on Marklin.

http://www.suedkurier.de...litaet;art330342,3893446

Nothing news.

Nothing new ??? Well - read this more carefully, please:
Dietz [xx(] and his "manager" clowns are suspects in a looong list of crimes.
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline TomB  
#40 Posted : 13 August 2009 16:11:12(UTC)
TomB

<u>There are 5 potential buyers for Märklin.</u>

Alle firms are from West Europe.

Märklin will probably not be sold before oktober 2009 ...........

http://www.finanznachrichten.de...en-fuer-maerklin-016.htm
Tom Blikstad
Offline mike c  
#41 Posted : 18 August 2009 22:53:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Several months ago, we were told that the situation should be resolved in August. Now, it looks like it will be October before we have any news.

To keep yourselves amused:
Which will be released first, the name of the new owner or the (pick your favorite NH09 item that has not been delivered yet)?

Regards

Mike C
Offline TomB  
#42 Posted : 18 August 2009 23:16:39(UTC)
TomB

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />Several months ago, we were told that the situation should be resolved in August. Now, it looks like it will be October before we have any news.

Hello Mike.

Yes, Pluta tells us they are not in a hurry:

By early October, he expects concrete offers, Pluta communicated. According to his spokeswoman could then quickly decide which Märklin investor will take over. Whether the model train manufacturer later this year will be sold, is unclear. We are with the process not under time pressure. The financing of the fiscal year 2009 is secured, said Pluta.

Tom Blikstad
Offline kimballthurlow  
#43 Posted : 19 August 2009 02:05:37(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks for the update.
regards
Kimball
Offline pserup  
#44 Posted : 08 September 2009 20:45:23(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
Mr. Pluta should probably hurry getting his business finished. According to my local dealer M has tightened their credit policy to a degree that it affects turnover negatively. Thus my dealer who's been an M retailer for many years cannot get deliveries from M until they have paid their bills for the starter sets ordered at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately, starter sets sell big only at x-mas, so they won't get a decent delivery from M until next year.

Result: very poor turnover for M here = reduced earnings = investors finding M less interesting...

On the positive side, my bank account is more healthy than normally this time of the year Smile
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
Offline TomB  
#45 Posted : 08 September 2009 22:04:16(UTC)
TomB

Palle, since yoy asked there was a message today. The possible buyers of Märklin are these two weeks visiting Göppingen:

http://pressemitteilung.ws/node/169384

googletranslate:

Sales of Märklin coming soon
Submitted by The scout on Tue, 2009-09-08 05:45.
GÖPPINGEN / GYÖR As the online railway Press Ferpress exclusively by Märklin factory employee found to have already visited in the past week several interested groups in the insolvent company, the Märklinwerk in Györ, Hungary.

Has also been known to visit, promising that the five potential investors in this and next week, the Märklin production in Göppingen. Already on Tuesday will be the main plant in Stuttgart Street expected rounds. Back to the start of the week many people were busy bringing the company's building "on the front man". In the coming days is expected with increased media interest: "I already see the transfer car from television and reporters who sneak around the building with her camera," says one employee.

The invitations were added by the financial advisory firm "Close Brothers", which was commissioned by the creditors' committee recently with finding suitable prospects. According to inside information to Ferpress previously there was no one interested who could meet the criteria of the insolvency administrator Michael Pluta or wanted.

The company itself has failed to mention any names, citing confidentiality clauses. Works in circles, meanwhile, hopes that "are among the interested parties including those who do not want to move back only their capital but also those who understand something of the subject." Only then Marklin had a real chance.
Tom Blikstad
Offline pserup  
#46 Posted : 09 September 2009 19:38:22(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
Thanks for the info Tom! I hope normal business resumes asap.
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
Offline dntower85  
#47 Posted : 15 September 2009 21:50:24(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Does any one think that there will be news released this weekend at Treff?
DT
Offline kimballthurlow  
#48 Posted : 22 September 2009 02:07:25(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
From another topic - good news.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:http://www.manager-magazin.de/u...8,650140,00.html#ref=rss

It is going better with Märklin. This year they have enough money even for new items next year and 2011.
There are new investors on the running. Märklin is not sold yet but it will take some time more. (Maybe in oktober).

Steamer01

regards
Kimball
Offline dntower85  
#49 Posted : 26 September 2009 00:22:34(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I was sent this but I can't find the original news story.
"
Märklin investor goes after $44 million from consulting firm
The investment group that purchased Märklin in 2006 in the wake of the German model railroad manufacturer's insolvency is looking to recover almost $44 million from an international consulting firm that provided restructuring advice on the transaction. The case could set a precedent in German law.

According to the German business publication Handelsblatt, Kingsbridge Capital, Märklin's ownership group, has retained legal counsel in its bid to get the money - the loss since the consulting firm was hired - back from Alix Partners.

The law firm representing Kingsbridge said it could not comment on the matter. The consulting firm says it has received a claim for arbitration, but issued the statement, "Alix Partners sees no basis for a claim," and says it stands behind the work done in regard to Märklin, Handelsblatt reports.

Handelsblatt reports there is no known case of a business consultant being sued for complete failure of an investment in Germany, at least not for this large a sum.
"
DT
Offline kimballthurlow  
#50 Posted : 26 September 2009 12:30:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hmmm....
If the case is won, will the money belong to Märklin?
If so, it will be included in Pluta's solvency considerations.
This is getting complex.
regards
Kimball