Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mixy  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2013 18:31:58(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
The new SCARM v. 0.9.23 freeware was published 2 weeks ago – download it from http://www.scarm.info :)

It comes with several new features, many updated libraries, some bugfixes and improved functionality. The most important new features are Background image, the Ballast roadbed in 2D and Track Heights numeric input. See details about the new features and more about this update in the SCARM Blog post SCARM v. 0.9.23 Released.

I hope that you will like the new version of SCARM and also hope that next one will come soon ;)

See also the list with blog posts for November: www.scarm.info/blog/2013/11.

And don’t miss the SCARM video tutorial series for beginners by Ruud Boer, even if you’re already an experienced SCARM user - there is always something new to be learned :)

Mixy

Edited by moderator 10 May 2014 23:21:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 14 users liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2013 19:16:49(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Love the new feature of having the selected track details displayed. Saves time on the smaller transition pieces.

Cheers
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Mixy  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2014 22:44:53(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Here is a nice collection of articles in the blog with Information and advices about baseboards in SCARM.

The list includes posts about how to create baseboard with holes and openings, how to represent the support structures and frames, how to split the workbench in several modules, how to create baseboard shapes with rounded corners and more.

And here is the list with blog posts for December: www.scarm.info/blog/2013/12.

I hope that the info will be useful ;)

Mixy
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2014 12:30:29(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
This is the list with articles in the blog for January 2014: www.scarm.info/blog/2014/01.

Not so much, but this month there will be more, I hope ;)

Mixy
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2014 15:46:00(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Two small bugs in SCARM were reported last month so far:

- "Integer Overflow" error message may appear in some situations when modelling flex-tracks
- Arrow keys in the 2D editor stop working after pressing of Esc key

All these will be corrected in the upcoming release of SCARM. If you encounter another problems, let me know with a message about them in the thread :)

Check the collection of Quick tips, that may be useful in your work with SCARM: Quick Tips in SCARM Layout Software

And here is the list with articles in the blog for February 2014: www.scarm.info/blog/2014/02.

Mixy
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2014 18:00:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the update news.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Irish Rail  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2014 20:38:55(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
Thanks for the software. This is exactly what I need to help me figure out how to convert all my old M-Gleiss to a new layout. Having fun already
Offline Mixy  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2014 09:22:36(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
And here is it, the new SCARM v. 0.9.24, coming with the long-awaited feature for true roads with grades and various surface markings! See more about it here:

SCARM v. 0.9.24 Released

UserPostedImage

Hope you will like it ;)

Mixy
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2014 12:49:39(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
And here is the first tutorial in the blog about using of the new road feature:

The Roads in SCARM – Part 1 – Basic Usage

More tutorials about roads in SCARM will come soon ;)

Mixy
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#10 Posted : 06 April 2014 12:18:59(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
The list with articles in the blog for March: www.scarm.info/blog/2014/03.

I am now preparing the next tutorials about the new roads in SCARM, so keep an eye in the blog if you are interested there ;)

Mixy
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 11 April 2014 00:44:20(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Milen, your software looks fantastic!

I am however having a problem (and it may be my mistake) but when I lay track, the terain positions itself about 5cm above the track. What am I doing wrong?

using Märklin K- track library and latest version.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline DaleSchultz  
#12 Posted : 11 April 2014 03:27:41(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Ok I think i finally worked out what was happening, I did not realise that the tunnel icon was modal, so all the track I laid was assumed to be in a tunnel....
Dale
Offline Mixy  
#13 Posted : 11 April 2014 12:03:37(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Yeah, this explains the mystery. When the tunnel is not connected to any other normal track, SCARM does not draw tunnel portals.

Many users are asking about custom or double tunnel portals in SCARM track plans, so I prepared the following article:

Custom Tunnel Portals in SCARM

UserPostedImage

Hope this info will be useful ;)

Mixy
Offline DaleSchultz  
#14 Posted : 11 April 2014 15:44:50(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I think if you make the 'depressed' state version of the tunnel button more distinct we would be able to notice that we are in tunnel mode easier.

I repeat the program looks absolutely stunning! I suspect that in time people may help create libraries of Faller models etc. too!
Dale
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline sjlauritsen  
#15 Posted : 12 April 2014 06:44:21(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I love SCARM, I use it all the time.

I do miss the Trix C-track end with bumper (#62977) and the uncoupler track (#62997).

Thanks again for a nice piece of software.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline DaleSchultz  
#16 Posted : 12 April 2014 22:10:59(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Baseboard question:

It seems that the terrain is associated with the single baseboard. The baseboard is at height zero and tracks cannot have negative heights.

Now if that is true, I must draw the baseboard at the lowest level of the layout. The layout I am building however, has hidden stations on one level and the real landscape (terrain) is on a second level baseboard about 20cm above the lower one.

The only way I can find to get the landscape to be at the 'top' is to draw a 'rectangle' object that represents the upper layer and set its height at 20cm and make the terrain snap to the underside of it. If the rectangle is transparent we can see the track below it in 2D mode.

Did I miss a trick?
Do you intend having multiple baseboards at some stage?
Do you intend allowing baseboards that are sloping? (like a long ramp)
Do you intend allowing a rectangular object to be sloping?
Can we make terrain snap to the underside of tracks? (this would make things very nice!)

Dale
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Mixy  
#17 Posted : 13 April 2014 16:53:34(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
@Sjlauritsen: I will check these tracks and will update the library for the next release, thanks :)

@Dale: Take a look on the following articles:

Creating Layout of Several Modules in SCARM

How To Create Tunnel Under The Base Level - valid also for all other items below the base track level.

The ramps and some other functions are planned and will appear in some of the next versions of SCARM ;)

Mixy
Offline kweekalot  
#18 Posted : 13 April 2014 18:52:48(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Mixy,

The SCARM software would be really complete, if the library would also contain Faller AMS tracks (roadparts), so you can build AMS layouts too.
Faller stopped the AMS production in 1985, but the interest remains very strong.
There are still many hobbyist who run AMS (very often combined with a model railroad) and like to built AMS layouts.

Marco

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline sjlauritsen  
#19 Posted : 14 April 2014 21:08:44(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Mixy Go to Quoted Post
@Sjlauritsen: I will check these tracks and will update the library for the next release, thanks :)

Awesome! Thanks! ThumpUp

Søren from Denmark
Offline Mixy  
#20 Posted : 25 April 2014 12:38:44(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Two more tutorials about road crossings were published in the blog. See all here:

All tutorials about roadways in SCARM

The articles are showing how to assemble the crossings, IS adapters and IS approaches in order to get various intersections and combinations, like the one below:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

More about the road building in SCARM will come soon :)

About Faller AMS roads - I need some resource where these pieces are described with all dimensions in order to build the appropriate library for them in SCARM.

Mixy
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline Renato  
#21 Posted : 25 April 2014 13:23:12(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Very cool, Mixy !

Cheers

Renato
Offline kweekalot  
#22 Posted : 28 April 2014 10:43:33(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
About Faller AMS roads - I need some resource where these pieces are described with all dimensions in order to build the appropriate library for them in SCARM.

Hi Mixy,

An email was sent to you with the required information on Faller AMS
If you need more info, please let me know.

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Mixy  
#23 Posted : 09 May 2014 12:26:10(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Thank you, Marco ;)

And here are the SCARM blog posts for April: www.scarm.info/blog/2014/04.

Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#24 Posted : 11 September 2014 10:09:58(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
After long delay, the new SCARM v. 0.9.25 is ready and was published yesterday :)

It is coming with two new figures and many new and updated track libraries. Read more about it here:

SCARM Layout Software 0.9.25 Released

The new figures are horizontal and vertical cylinders and will allow drawing of more complex structures, objects and rolling stock, like the small engine showed below:

UserPostedImage

Hope you will like the new version ;)

Mixy
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#25 Posted : 27 September 2014 20:41:39(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
I published one nice gallery in the blog with very detailed SCARM screenshots, containing scenes from Indian Railways:

Farrukhabad And More From Indian Railways in SCARM

Here are just 3 of them:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

These were created with the old v.0.9.24 without the cylinders and I believe that the new v. 0.9.25 will be able to produce even more realistic landscapes for those, who are interested to create rich virtual Marklin layouts in SCARM.

Mixy
Offline sjlauritsen  
#26 Posted : 27 September 2014 20:53:54(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
These were created with the old v.0.9.24 without the cylinders and I believe that the new v. 0.9.25 will be able to produce even more realistic landscapes for those, who are interested to create rich virtual Marklin layouts in SCARM.

That looks awesome. I usually recommend SCARM to all my friends. Smile

For those of us who wish to create layouts with the Trix C-track I do miss the bumper track (#62977) and the uncoupler track (#62997).

Thank you for great app!
Søren from Denmark
Offline Mixy  
#27 Posted : 15 October 2014 09:37:24(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Thank you Soren :)

I will add these tracks to the Trix C-track library for the next update.

Several users in other forums reported for a problem with the new SCARM 0.9.25 after update, mainly on Windows 8.1. This is probably due to corrupted download of the installation package. The installer is able to run even if it is not downloaded correctly, but after that, the program crashes on startup. If you also experience such problems, follow the steps described in the link below:

Resolving SCARM Installation Issues

This should help for fixing of the problem.

Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#28 Posted : 31 October 2014 12:41:07(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Many users asked for the file with the small steam loco that I used for demonstration of the new cylinder figures in SCARM v. 0.9.25. Here is it:

Drawing of Prussian T3 Steam Loco in SCARM

The article shows most of the steps in the drawing of a close representation of Prussian T3 loco in HO scale. In example, here is the wheelset - as parts and assembled:

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

See all of the pics in the blog post and download the project file to see it in details on your own PCs.

Mixy
Offline cookee_nz  
#29 Posted : 31 October 2014 20:47:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I've been having a bit of a play-around with Scarm of late and before attempting a fresh new layout I wanted to teach myself by way of recreating an existing layout, which I own, and for which I also have the original Marklin trackplan which lists all the track pieces.

My question is relating to what I would call 'auto-join' where you may have a gap (short or long) between two points, and the ability for the software to automatically calculate or suggest which track section, or combination of sections would be able to join the two points.

In this instance it's K-track I'm using and no flex required, all standard pieces from the range. I have two gaps that no matter what I do, I can't join two points, yet the design works and I would think the Marklin factory plan would be reasonably accurate.

I'm still very new at it so it's probably me but if I progress to more advanced plans the ability to automatically suggest pieces that would bridge the gap rather than having to measure, then try to manually break down which sections could work together for a desired length would be awesome. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Irish Rail  
#30 Posted : 31 October 2014 21:18:05(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
You beat me to it, Steve.

I have been trying to design a new layout with M-track and have been really struggling to find the appropriate track combination(s) to line up two tracks. For example, trying to create a reverse loop that will line up to a turnout... Even a basic suggestion of any combination that would join two ends of track would be most helpful. A comprehensive tool to achieve this would be a monumental undertaking, but a basic version might be possible.

Or maybe, these are tasks that are more easily solved the old fashioned way - trial and error.
Offline cookee_nz  
#31 Posted : 01 November 2014 01:00:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Irish Rail Go to Quoted Post
You beat me to it, Steve.

I have been trying to design a new layout with M-track and have been really struggling to find the appropriate track combination(s) to line up two tracks. For example, trying to create a reverse loop that will line up to a turnout... Even a basic suggestion of any combination that would join two ends of track would be most helpful. A comprehensive tool to achieve this would be a monumental undertaking, but a basic version might be possible.

Or maybe, these are tasks that are more easily solved the old fashioned way - trial and error.

Actually, in talking with others it seems that most CAD type Track Design programs do actually have this feature and it's a major strength, but of course those are the paid versions, and this may simply be one of the limitations of something that is free, the Author will be able to clarify this for sure.

I can only imagine the mathematics/algorithms involved to carry this out and work through all the possibilities but glad I'm not alone in my struggle.

All that aside, it's still a great program. One thing that tripped me up was I started doing my design, then found that I'd done the first circuit as the 'ground' level, only to find I needed to set my elevations so now I'm working through that but I fear it could take me just as long to do that as to start over from scratch. It's only a small layout so not really a drama.

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Mixy  
#32 Posted : 07 November 2014 08:40:43(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
OK, I will consider adding of some basic algorithm for auto connection with sectional tracks between two points in some of the next versions of SCARM. That is important for track systems where there are no flex-tracks and there are other users that also asks for that ;)

And now I want to present the new SCARM website, which now has modern look and responsive design and comes with a lot of new and updated information and resources about the program. Go and see it:

www.scarm.info

UserPostedImage

The site now works well not only on PCs, but also on tablets and smartphones too. Contents section is rewritten and optimized for easy navigation and access to the most important pages. The same is valid also for the documentation - it has new structure with many new and updated topics. See the new help page here:

Online help & FAQ about SCARM layout software

Hope you will like the new site :)

Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#33 Posted : 30 November 2014 13:59:20(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
The new SCARM v. 0.9.26 is ready and comes with the new online help system integrated and the long-awaited Layers feature. Read more details here:

SCARM Track Planning Software 0.9.26 Released

Hope you will like the new release ;)

Mixy
Offline hwestl  
#34 Posted : 01 December 2014 12:51:03(UTC)
hwestl

Sweden   
The new version is working very well.
I was interested in new Layer function.
Took me some time to understand how to change the layer of a selection, but got it later with just "cut and paste". Very easy.
I have now changed my project to include 5 different layers, makes the development much easier BigGrin

Thanks
Håkan
Offline Mixy  
#35 Posted : 11 December 2014 16:29:22(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
IMPORTANT!

Several bugs were discovered in SCARM 0.9.26 related to the renaming of the layers and then save and restore of the already changed layer names. The patched version of the program was released today.
Please upgrade to SCARM 0.9.27, which can be downloaded from www.scarm.info to fix these problems.

See more about this bugfix update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.27 Released.

I am sorry if these bugs caused any problems and inconvenience in your work with SCARM. If you see another problems, please report them here or in SCARM Blog and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#36 Posted : 17 December 2014 15:40:26(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Here I want to present the first very detailed virtual locomotive models in SCARM, created by Ian Donohoe and shown in the SCARM blog here:

Detailed 3D Models of US Diesel Locomotives in SCARM

Below are two of them:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

These are created with the object's interface of SCARM and are auto-scalable to the scale and gauge of the used tracks in the layout plan.

UserPostedImage

Download the loco library from the blog's post and use these nice models in your virtual SCARM layouts :)

Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#37 Posted : 23 January 2015 13:46:47(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
The new SCARM v. 0.9.28 is ready and published. Read more about it here:

SCARM Model Railway Designer 0.9.28 Released

I hope that you will like it ;)

Mixy
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#38 Posted : 23 January 2015 13:55:22(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Looks like http://www.scarm.info/ site is down currently...
Offline Mixy  
#39 Posted : 23 January 2015 14:23:28(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like http://www.scarm.info/ site is down currently...

Just checked and it works normally now. It may be some delay or temporary ISP issue.

Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#40 Posted : 06 February 2015 15:34:59(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Here are listed the SCARM railroad blog posts for January 2015.

Check How To Make Control Panels and Diagrams for SCARM Track Plans article if you want to know more about how to draw a stylized diagrams of your layouts like the example below of oval with one siding.

UserPostedImage

Mixy

Edited by user 07 March 2015 13:07:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mixy  
#41 Posted : 07 March 2015 13:06:44(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
The new SCARM v. 0.9.29 is ready and published. Read more details about it here:

SCARM Model Railroad Layout Designer 0.9.29 Released

And here are listed all the SCARM railroad blog posts for February.

Check also the first Advanced Video Tutorial about working with baseboard feature in SCARM.

Mixy
Offline glight1  
#42 Posted : 07 March 2015 14:35:50(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Any plans to make SCARM available for Mac users?
Offline Mixy  
#43 Posted : 26 June 2015 17:57:24(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Originally Posted by: glight1 Go to Quoted Post
Any plans to make SCARM available for Mac users?

Native SCARM port for Mac may appear in the future, but I cannot promise anything.

However, you can run SCARM on Mac even now - read more about that here: Running SCARM on Apple Mac.

Mixy
Offline Ausipeet  
#44 Posted : 06 July 2015 07:28:04(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Hello to the person who created Scarm and great work.
Having said that I have just finished putting a track plan straight from a Marklin book(0390) track plan 5 and no matter how i go from left to right or from right to left there are always sections that will not join up properly.
Is there a work around for this please.
Am some what frustrated

Peter
Offline Mixy  
#45 Posted : 07 August 2015 20:11:49(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Hello Peter,

Send me the the picture of the track plan to SCARM e-mail and I will check it. See also the following article in the blog: Tracks Do Not Match/Connect As Shown in a Given Layout Plan. It explains why some plans from the books cannot join properly in track planning software.

Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#46 Posted : 10 September 2015 16:00:55(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
The new version SCARM 0.9.30 is ready and published, coming with new features and many new and updated track libraries. Read more details here:

SCARM Model Train Layout Software 0.9.30 Released

Hope you will like it ;)

Mixy
Offline Mixy  
#47 Posted : 21 November 2015 13:09:08(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Only two months passed and the next version SCARM 0.9.31 is ready and published, coming with new safety features and several new and updated track libraries. Read more details here:

SCARM Model Railroad Track Planner 0.9.31 Released

This version should fix the "scramble" bug, which may appear in the older releases, so update is recommended ;)

Mixy
Offline dominator  
#48 Posted : 23 November 2015 03:03:08(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
No M Track???????????????????????? Heaps still around
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Mixy  
#49 Posted : 23 November 2015 08:53:59(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
All current and old Marklin track systems are included in SCARM:

Märklin H0 C
Märklin H0 K
Märklin H0 M
Märklin H0 3600 series
Märklin H0 3900 series
Märklin I
Märklin Z

Mixy
Offline Angus  
#50 Posted : 23 November 2015 10:27:59(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
I would like to say a word of thanks to Mixy! I have spent many hours using SCARM and will spend many more hours using it. It's my main de-stress thing for me at work. When I have a few minutes or want to just chill for a while, I open up SCARM and go play "track planner", who needs SimCity etc. when you have SCARM :)

Thanks for a wonderful program and for making it available to everyone!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Angus