Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mixy  
#101 Posted : 11 August 2017 08:13:06(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Originally Posted by: loderunner Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mixy Go to Quoted Post
The brand new SCARM version is ready and published. Read more about it here:

SCARM v. 1.0 Milestone Released

That Milestone version starts a new epoch in the developing of SCARM. Get ready for many new functions and features that will come with the next updates and the future SCARM extensions!

Mixy

Could you please show mw the link to your blog in this post?
Off course you have the right to be paid for your work.

Are you blind?!? The text in bold red font - that is the link! Click on it and read the full post.

Mixy
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#102 Posted : 11 August 2017 09:06:28(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello,
there would have been one right way: The previous beta versions should keep on working, because they were named as "Freeware" and not "crippleware". Mixy could create new functions, which are only available in the 1.0 commercial version.

But, what is really a very bad decision by Mixy is, to let the beta versions stop working! And further more, in another forum Mixy wrote:

Quote:
And don’t believe that your old betas will work forever. They may not stop working at all, but… may introduce some unexpected behavior, like project encryption when saving after given times of overuse. Have you checked the new file format of v. 1.0? Well, you can also check the assembly code of the betas to see from which version it was introduced in the background. ;)

Sorry guy, but this sounds like Scarm is the little brother of WannaCry!

Sorry, this is not the way how to communicate with Your potential customers.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Mixy  
#103 Posted : 11 August 2017 09:30:47(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
there would have been one right way: The previous beta versions should keep on working, because they were named as "Freeware" and not "crippleware". Mixy could create new functions, which are only available in the 1.0 commercial version.

But, what is really a very bad decision by Mixy is, to let the beta versions stop working! And further more, in another forum Mixy wrote:

Quote:
And don’t believe that your old betas will work forever. They may not stop working at all, but… may introduce some unexpected behavior, like project encryption when saving after given times of overuse. Have you checked the new file format of v. 1.0? Well, you can also check the assembly code of the betas to see from which version it was introduced in the background. ;)

Sorry guy, but this sounds like Scarm is the little brother of WannaCry!

Sorry, this is not the way how to communicate with Your potential customers.

You take my words out of the context, comfortably failing to give a link to all the nonsense you have written before in the other forum and to which I responded appropriately.

http://www.h0-modellbahnforum.d...ogramm-2.html#msg3798625

To clarify the mislead that you are trying to do, and to confirm what is written above here: yes, the old beta versions will stop to work soon, starting from the most recent 0.9.37 and will offer to upgrade to v. 1.0. But if you or somebody else try to crack or overuse them above the last point set in the code, then the programs will fail to work and may produce unexpected results as every hacked software.

So, BR365, no matter how many forums you are visiting and how much you will try to attack and insult me and my work, you will not be able to change the fact that I don't want to give SCARM for free to people like you anymore, ever and forever.

Mixy
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#104 Posted : 11 August 2017 09:58:41(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
To clarify the mislead that you are trying to do, and to confirm what is written above here: yes, the old beta versions will stop to work soon, starting from the most recent 0.9.37 and will offer to upgrade to v. 1.0.

Hello Mixy,
OK, thanks for these clear words. That meens, that 0.9.30 and previous versions will not stop working. That's good and OK for me.

It would have been helpfull, If You had given this information earlier and there wouldn't be this bad discussion about Your "Freeware".

I didn't want to attack and insult You and Your work. I've been a big fan of Scarm and without the word-of-mouth recommendation I (and many others) did, it wouldn't have become such an success!

Therefore, You should understand that the community is thankfull for Scarm, even if not all of them payed for it. But You called it Freeware, not donationware or Demoware. There are many other software developers around the world who spend hpurs, weeks, years of the their time without get payed. Because they have fun and idelism.

You are very disappointed that there were not enough people who spend for Scarm. So, to call Scarm Freeware maybe was a wrong decision for Your case. But You should understand: To share Scarm as Freeware was one reason, maybe the most important reason, why it has now such a big fellowship.

You shouldn't be angry about the fellowers, who didn't spend money. You should be thankfull, that we promoted Your software for free of charge! A advertising campaign with such a success like the word-of-mouth recommendation I and several others did for You, would have been cost You several millions of dollars!!!

Regards,
Moritz

Offline Mixy  
#105 Posted : 11 August 2017 10:12:20(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Moritz, are you joking with me? Or continuing to outrage me and SCARM? After all that you write in the other forum???

I am not angry to the community. I had some expectations, but these didn't happened. Anyway, perhaps I have done a mistake and I will correct it from now on.

However, I am really tired and disappointed from guys like you - ungrateful, wanting more and more at no cost, not giving anything in exchange, quiet when someone asks to help, but quite louder when the same asks (oh no!) to be rewarded for his work.

Have you offered your help to me here or by e-mail? I.e. why did you not offer me to help with native German translation for SCARM documentation or for the blog? Explain please.

Mixy
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#106 Posted : 11 August 2017 10:32:12(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello Mixy,

However, I am really tired and disappointed from guys like you - ungrateful, wanting more and more at no cost, not giving anything in exchange, quiet when someone asks to help, but quite louder when the same asks (oh no!) to be rewarded for his work.

Sorry, but You still don't realize, that my recommendations and my posted examples of my layout, created with scarm, are part of the big success of Scarm. I promoted Scarm since 4 years in several forum boards and facebook news groups - for free!

You should realize that Scarm wouldn't be successfull without a big fellowership behind!

Have you offered your help to me here or by e-mail? I.e. why did you not offer me to help with native German translation for SCARM documentation or for the blog? Explain please.

Sorry, Scarm was Freeware and not "Free for people who offer help"-ware!

I spend time for several things for free! I don't have to justify where I spend my time and where I don't. I help several people on their problems inrailway modeling. I repair and convert locos for free, sometimes for only a tip. But I do it, because I have fun with it and I'm happy when the "customers" and friends are happy with the results.

And as I explained:
You should have communicate more often like:

"Sorry, I have to release next version of Scarm as commercial version. The old beta versions will still work but they will not any more supported by me. If You want to use the new functions from Scarm 1.0, You have to purchase a license."

This would have been a clear wording, clear strategy and understandable for all users. The users could decide to stay with the old but unsupported beta version or switch to the commercial version.

But You didn't! And this is Your fault.

Don't cry about "ungrateful, wanting more and more at no cost, not giving anything in exchange", because this is unjustified! Realize, that You did a mistake of communication with Your customers and fellowership!

Regards,
Moritz
Offline Mixy  
#107 Posted : 11 August 2017 10:44:01(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
Yes, that reply was expected. You didn't do anything bad, all other is just my fault.

However, I am prepared for that. Read again my explanation about the old beta versions. Hint: read carefully the bold text below.

"the old beta versions will stop to work soon, starting from the most recent 0.9.37 and will offer to upgrade to v. 1.0"

Actually, 0.9.37 is already in process of phasing out. Try to guess, which will be the next.

Mixy

Offline Moritz-BR365  
#108 Posted : 11 August 2017 10:54:33(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
You didn't do anything bad, all other is just my fault.

Yes, a good customer communication isn't easy. And IT experts and computer scientist have not the best profession for customer communicationBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Offline Mixy  
#109 Posted : 11 August 2017 11:01:53(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
I will accept the above as a compliment. BigGrin

Mixy
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#110 Posted : 11 August 2017 11:03:07(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
LOL LOL LOL
Offline loderunner  
#111 Posted : 11 August 2017 15:57:25(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   

That Milestone version starts a new epoch in the developing of SCARM. Get ready for many new functions and features that will come with the next updates and the future SCARM extensions!

Mixy

Are you blind?!? The text in bold red font - that is the link! Click on it and read the full post.

Mixy

Do not be a jerk using language like that. You are trying to con people.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by loderunner
Offline PMPeter  
#112 Posted : 11 August 2017 16:21:49(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Mixy,

I believe you are missing the point that people are trying to make regarding changing your software from Freeware to a commercial software. I do not believe anyone is suggesting that you should not charge for your developed software version 1.0.

However, what people are upset about is how you went about this decision and disabling the Beta versions without a real warning within your forum message itself (not buried in a blog or a link). To a large degree you relied on forum members to be your promoters and beta testers and this was a poor way to shock us that it is no longer a freeware no matter how many hours we have spent on our individual projects. That time and effort is now frozen for us. That is a shame.

In the past you have always been very friendly on this forum or when asked specific questions. I find it distasteful how you are reacting to some of the members by calling them ungrateful, blind, etc. That is not the way to deal with potential "customers". Very early in my career I was told "1. The customer is always right. 2. If the customer is wrong and being an idiot refer back to item 1". That simple message has always served me well.

I have numerous software programs, free and commercial, that sometimes change to a new version resulting in former versions still functioning, but no longer supported. In all cases you usually get months of notice that this change is forthcoming and what you need to do to proceed with the update or to keep the old version running with no further updates or support. Unfortunately you did neither and in my opinion this is why you are getting the backlash now.

It is a real pity since I have always promoted your excellent software on this forum when anyone asked for a track software recommendation. In light of these recent posts I am not sure I would do that anymore.

Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Mixy  
#113 Posted : 11 August 2017 17:03:17(UTC)
Mixy

Bulgaria   
OK, I see your point, Peter. May be you are right and I am wrong.

I thought that you guys are reading my blog, but is seems that you are just using the software and don’t care what I am writing in my posts.

So I will put all the links about the transition to v. 1.0 on the SCARM download page. Everybody who download the software will see the info.

Perhaps some of you will be not happy again, because SCARM has an option to update itself from the program, without visiting the webpage and someone will attack me again “why you didn’t told me about v.1.0”. But that is all what I can do.

I want to apologize to everyone, who has been offended by my language. I didn’t wanted that. Sorry and please, excuse me.

I am continuing my work and from now on, if you need info about the news and updates for SCARM, please, visit my blog.

I am done with this forum. Good luck to all of you and if you don’t like SCARM anymore, just don’t use it.

And don't forget – the most important is to have fun with the model trains. I'm sorry again if I have spoiled your pleasure from the hobby.

Mixy
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mixy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#114 Posted : 11 August 2017 17:16:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Mixy

That link is the link to the blog. Just keep scrolling down and you will find all the passages Mixy quoted.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Webmaster  
#115 Posted : 11 August 2017 20:56:37(UTC)
Webmaster

I don't really understand the discussion.

Mixy has developed this top notch software for years, and finally it has reached a stage where he considers it to be a stable & feature-rich alternative as a real contender in the commercial track planning software arena (even it has been great for free all the time)...

The official source of information regarding news on SCARM is at http://www.scarm.info/blog/general/ and we should all appreciate the effort to also publish updates in this forum.

Of course Mixy wishes some future return for all the efforts during the years, and I will certainly buy a license since I think it is a great piece of software...

Edit - 29.90 USD (limited time, else 39.90) is not too much, and if you have donated to the project earlier - it's free...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#116 Posted : 11 August 2017 21:52:34(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Juhan,
I see no problem to release Scarm as commercial software with license.

But the previous release beta versions were released as FREEWARE and not as limited test software. And Mixy has included a time limitation into the beta versions, which will lead to missfunction and encoding of software and user projects. This means, the user will not be able to continue the work on the layout, unless he has payed for a license!

And this is not the normal behaviour of Freeware!

Mixy could have inform the followers, that the beta versions will not be supported anymore and new functions will be only available with the new released version 1.0 with payed license. This would be completely OK.

But his way is not the friendly way. It's more like the little brother of WannaCry.

Therefore, I will never buy a license for Scarm. I don't know, what other unknown functions he programmed into the software code to ask customers for money. I have no faith in such a business behaviour.

Moritz
Offline Webmaster  
#117 Posted : 11 August 2017 22:02:14(UTC)
Webmaster

I can fully agree that some more "future roadmap" information could have been communicated better, and I also have my thoughts about making the freeware beta version(s) unusable... Not so nice...Glare

But I have bought a license now, and I think the distance between "free" and 29.90 USD is not too far for this product...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline PMPeter  
#118 Posted : 11 August 2017 22:08:46(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I can fully agree that some more "future roadmap" information could have been communicated better, and I also have my thoughts about making the freeware beta version(s) unusable... Not so nice...Glare

But I have bought a license now, and I think the distance between "free" and 29.90 USD is not too far for this product...

I think you have captured the essence of the problem in your first sentence very well!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline kiwiAlan  
#119 Posted : 12 August 2017 15:48:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Juhan,
I see no problem to release Scarm as commercial software with license.

But the previous release beta versions were released as FREEWARE and not as limited test software. And Mixy has included a time limitation into the beta versions, which will lead to missfunction and encoding of software and user projects. This means, the user will not be able to continue the work on the layout, unless he has payed for a license!

And this is not the normal behaviour of Freeware!

Hang on a minute, you were testing beta software, not freeware.

Mixy could have inform the followers, that the beta versions will not be supported anymore and new functions will be only available with the new released version 1.0 with payed license. This would be completely OK.

But his way is not the friendly way. It's more like the little brother of WannaCry.

Oh come on!!! Comparing the price of this to Wannacry is ludicrous. I had wondered in the past how Mixy was going to get some return on SCARM, as it has obviously had an enormous amount of time spent on it to get it to the current state. A lot of MRR planning software with similar features costs considerably more than the pricing that Mixy has set out.

Therefore, I will never buy a license for Scarm. I don't know, what other unknown functions he programmed into the software code to ask customers for money. I have no faith in such a business behaviour.

Moritz

Well, English people have a saying about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I think this is what you are doing.

Offline Moritz-BR365  
#120 Posted : 12 August 2017 21:09:08(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Hang on a minute, you were testing beta software, not freeware.

Sorry, that's wrong!

Scarm was promoted as FREEWARE, this is, how Mixy wrote about Scarm.

Yes, the Version was always a 0.xxx beta version. But it was FREEWARE!

And I know several other software projects, developed as FREEWARE, many of them are open source! Have You ever heard about Linux???

And believe me, to develop an operating system is much more complex than Scarm.

And again, to sell Scarm 1.0 is completely OK for me. Nothing to criticize.

But the way of communication and the destroying of the design work of the freeware users is in my opinion a bad bad decision by Mixy.
Offline steventrain  
#121 Posted : 13 August 2017 15:09:01(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I use the scarm and I build small layout up to about 120 tracks/turnouts for free, If build large that small layout with more that 120 tracks and message show with request payment.Blink
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline DasBert33  
#122 Posted : 14 August 2017 09:22:47(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Just wanted to add I fully support Moritz-BR365s view. My layout was designed using Scarm and soon I will no longer be able to access my own work. It would have been nice to know that up front.

A community business model based on donations would have been much more appropriately here IMHO. Just add big 'donate' buttons to your software and you will receive some income as well.

A question for all you other users: with the departure of scarm, what is now the best free trackplanning software?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#123 Posted : 14 August 2017 13:39:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Maybe the timebomb on the beta versions should be removed so that those who have projects made with those versions can continue using them.

It's not as if those versions are still freely available as Mixy has removed them from his download site, so new users will have to purchase v1.0

Those who want software support and new features are then free to pay for a license.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#124 Posted : 14 August 2017 14:57:07(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Scarm 0.9.30 beta is still available for download on a german server, but as Milen told, it has already the "time bomb" inside, allthough this version is from December 2015.

Therefore, the best solution will be to download this beta version and run it in a VM. Make a backup of the VM, then, after the usage timeout has come, You can override Your VM with the fresh one and the timeout starts from beginning.
Offline PMPeter  
#125 Posted : 14 August 2017 15:24:47(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Scarm 0.9.30 beta is still available for download on a german server, but as Milen told, it has already the "time bomb" inside, allthough this version is from December 2015.

Therefore, the best solution will be to download this beta version and run it in a VM. Make a backup of the VM, then, after the usage timeout has come, You can override Your VM with the fresh one and the timeout starts from beginning.

Do you have a link where this is available?
Offline Roland  
#126 Posted : 14 August 2017 18:15:36(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
I can totally understand Mixy's decision for versions 1.0+ to no longer be freeware and support and patches only being available for licensed users. However, older versions of SCARM should have remained freeware without support or patches (i.e. I don't agree with a timebomb having been added to those versions).

With that said, I have been happy with SCARM and plan to continue using it so I have purchased a license.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline PMPeter  
#127 Posted : 14 August 2017 18:32:15(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
I can totally understand Mixy's decision for versions 1.0+ to no longer be freeware and support and patches only being available for licensed users. However, older versions of SCARM should have remained freeware without support or patches (i.e. I don't agree with a timebomb having been added to those versions).

With that said, I have been happy with SCARM and plan to continue using it so I have purchased a license.

I don't believe anyone is upset about Mixy's decision to start selling his software version 1.0 nor about the price he is asking for it.

However, the disabling of the previous Freeware versions is a nasty decision. We either pay the price or years of our own work is down the drain or at least frozen. That sucks.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#128 Posted : 14 August 2017 18:53:13(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
You are right, Peter!

And, Milen did programming the time bomb function and other protection stuff within 2015 or earlier.

It was enough time for him, to tell the truth to the users, that he is using the Freeware users as gratis beta testers. He decided 2015 or earlier, to disable the software, he was distributing as Freeware.

This is really a big nasty act!

No discussion about Release 1.0 license fee. This decision is understandable and no point to criticize.

But telling Scarm is Freeware, that was a big lie!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline DasBert33  
#129 Posted : 18 August 2017 19:26:39(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
May I suggest to rename the software. Leave out the 'Railway' to become 'Simple Computer Aided Modeller', or in short SCAM :D.
Offline loderunner  
#130 Posted : 19 August 2017 05:01:32(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post
May I suggest to rename the software. Leave out the 'Railway' to become 'Simple Computer Aided Modeller', or in short SCAM :D.

As a matter of fact it is a RANSOM WARE, asking for money to unlock Freeware Layouts.
Is it LEGAL?
Offline Legless  
#131 Posted : 19 August 2017 09:01:17(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
I've been a beta tester for various different programs over four decades.
Finding faults and suggested improvements along the way.
My layout the l will be building contains approx 2,000 plus pieces of track.
I've tried other cad designs including Mixy's SCARM and settled for him due to a number of reasons.
As for having a so called "bomb", well to me it's a beta program and when the owners finally bring out their commercial program to recuperate their time and expenses to get the program to that level, you can either buy the upgraded program or find something else.
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Legless
Offline loderunner  
#132 Posted : 19 August 2017 15:37:20(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Legless Go to Quoted Post
I've tried other cad designs including Mixy's SCARM and settled for him due to a number of reasons.
As for having a so called "bomb", well to me it's a beta program and when the owners finally bring out their commercial program to recuperate their time and expenses to get the program to that level, you can either buy the upgraded program or find something else.

Have you read Mixy's posts in this forum,. He is advertising it as a "freeware", although the program file are labeled as beta .xxx.
Do not be naïve and defend his unethical behavior.

Offline Legless  
#133 Posted : 20 August 2017 12:06:01(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Legless Go to Quoted Post

Have you read Mixy's posts in this forum,. He is advertising it as a "freeware", although the program file are labeled as beta .xxx.
Do not be naïve and defend his unethical behavior.

nooooo.... To me, I could still be using my first home or work computer, or, upgraded when newer improved models have came on the market.
I have used freeware that was set up in 8 bytes, that does not mean that I run that program for the rest of my life. Since I know that it will be set up in 16 bytes, then 32, 64 etc.
I either upgrade to the newer program when it come available to work on the newer improved running systems on the latest computers.
When you see a flyer, do you go out and buy the product e.g.car, house, holiday, or do you check the finer details?
As for SCARM, yes it may have said freeware but it is labeled beta in the details and if you don't like that you can delete it.
If you still use a freeware program and find that it was a great way to solve the problem, a fair person would donate to the person or people that wrote the program including all the updates.
An unethical person would not donate, or when a program go's commercial would not buy the program.
To me I am the first person.
P.s. my layout is four main levels but 12 levels in total. Not many programs can do this.
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Legless
Offline kiwiAlan  
#134 Posted : 20 August 2017 17:38:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post

As a matter of fact it is a RANSOM WARE, asking for money to unlock Freeware Layouts.
Is it LEGAL?

Its not ransomware, you can still load your file and print it with an unregistered copy - see Mixys post elsewhere in this forum.

Offline ocram63_uk  
#135 Posted : 04 October 2018 11:25:39(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
One thing I do not understand is why I forcibly have to upgrade to the latest version. I don't care !!!!

I had 1.3.0 and was working fine, now that 1.4.0 is out I can't open layouts generated with the earlier version unless I upgrade. BS !!!!! This is not Microsoft Windows 10 !!!!!

This is NOT good at all, where is backward compatibility gone ?
I DO NOT like, as well, the fact that it opens automatically Window's 'crappy' Edge / IE !!!

I want to be in control on when to upgrade or which browser to use with a guarantee that I can still continue using old versions of the software without problems.

I'm NOT going to pay for something that works like this.
I do accept that I have a limitation in the functionalities and this is fine, that I have a limited number of tracks I draw and this is fine, but the rest is NOT on.
Offline PMPeter  
#136 Posted : 04 October 2018 16:56:39(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
One thing I do not understand is why I forcibly have to upgrade to the latest version. I don't care !!!!

I had 1.3.0 and was working fine, now that 1.4.0 is out I can't open layouts generated with the earlier version unless I upgrade. BS !!!!! This is not Microsoft Windows 10 !!!!!

This is NOT good at all, where is backward compatibility gone ?
I DO NOT like, as well, the fact that it opens automatically Window's 'crappy' Edge / IE !!!

I want to be in control on when to upgrade or which browser to use with a guarantee that I can still continue using old versions of the software without problems.

I'm NOT going to pay for something that works like this.
I do accept that I have a limitation in the functionalities and this is fine, that I have a limited number of tracks I draw and this is fine, but the rest is NOT on.

Are you saying you had a purchased version of 1.3.0 and now that 1.4.0 is out it has been disabled, or that you had a limited free version of 1.3.0 and that it has been disabled? If you paid for it, i think you have a strong argument. However, if you only had the limited free trial version, then you are experiencing the same thing the rest of us did when he made his software a retail item and all of the Beta versions were basically disabled for further modification. That was pretty nasty and frustrating. If MS disabled their previous OS every time they brought out a new operating system, there would be a massive outcry. They provide a support end date and that is fine since you know when you are on your own, but it is still usable.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#137 Posted : 04 October 2018 19:25:32(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I haven't paid, fortunately. I have been using the free and crippled versions.
I wanted to pay for this sw but this really put me off. I have been playing with it since
it was first reported on this forum. I can understand that the developer wants to be paid
for what he is doing but this said, as it happens with Microsoft, I do not want to
upgrade every time a new version is delivered and especially with this sw that afaik isn't a risk to my computer security. On second thought I'll try running it with wireshark to be sure next time.
Offline GenDemo  
#138 Posted : 23 May 2020 06:46:13(UTC)
GenDemo

Australia   
Thank goodness!
This is great. I bought a cheap railway software program from Märklin in Germany a few years ago, but its all in German with no language packages. My dad and I spent a few days google translating things and making our own notes - and we gave up.
Offline GenDemo  
#139 Posted : 02 June 2020 12:18:27(UTC)
GenDemo

Australia   
Hi
This probably doesn't belong here, but I am unsure where to ask.
Is there a way that I can make a donation to the SCRAM project? $40 is a bit much for me to buy the license and I don't think I'm going to use the full license anyway. But I really like the software and Would like to donate $10 or $15.
Offline petestra  
#140 Posted : 02 June 2020 12:39:20(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: GenDemo Go to Quoted Post
Hi
This probably doesn't belong here, but I am unsure where to ask.
Is there a way that I can make a donation to the SCRAM project? $40 is a bit much for me to buy the license and I don't think I'm going to use the full license anyway. But I really like the software and Would like to donate $10 or $15.

Hi. I would contact him directly at ; scarm@scarm.info

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Nickjo71  
#141 Posted : 09 May 2021 12:32:20(UTC)
Nickjo71

United Kingdom   
OK, I see your point, Peter. May be you are right and I am wrong.

I thought that you guys are reading my blog, but is seems that you are just using the software and don’t care what I am writing in my posts.

So I will put all the links about the transition to v. 1.0 on the SCARM download page. Everybody who download the software will see the info.

Perhaps some of you will be not happy again, because SCARM has an option to update itself from the program, without visiting the webpage and someone will attack me again “why you didn’t told me about v.1.0”. But that is all what I can do.

I want to apologize to everyone, who has been offended by my language. I didn’t wanted that. Sorry and please, excuse me.

I am continuing my work and from now on, if you need info about the news and updates for SCARM, please, visit my blog.

I am done with this forum. Good luck to all of you and if you don’t like SCARM anymore, just don’t use it.

And don't forget – the most important is to have fun with the model trains. I'm sorry again if I have spoiled your pleasure from the hobby.

Mixy
I've just started planning, downloaded and paid for your software and i think its great. Please continue to update and support it. Wonderful product

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nickjo71
Offline PMPeter  
#142 Posted : 09 May 2021 16:59:23(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Welcome to the forum Nickjo71.

Just as a friendly suggestion, when you refer to an old post by quoting a statement that is almost 4 years old, it is customary to advise that you are bumping an old thread. That way the readers are aware that this is not a new development in a thread that was very emotional at the time.

To the best of my knowledge Mixy has not been back on this forum since he said he was leaving and he will most likely not see your message.

Peter