Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Would you sign an open letter to Märklin about decoder/motor problems with your name?
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 52 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
4 Pages«<234
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RayF  
#151 Posted : 02 April 2014 23:48:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Mulldog Lemon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to be uncharitable, but do we need trouble makers here?

I'll say no more....

I missed it. Where is this trouble?

Having this long dead controversial topic being resurrected by someone who's been kicked out of another forum smells of trouble to me, or have I totally mis-read what's happening here?

Am I the only one who wants a peaceful forum?

Do we have to have Trolls who never have anything positive to say?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline franciscohg  
#152 Posted : 02 April 2014 23:58:21(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Oh Ray.....dont be like that, the more opinions the better, they only have to be said in a respectful way to make the debate better, on the other hand, this person, Moritz, is a new member and he have already shown us some nice projects....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#153 Posted : 03 April 2014 00:16:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I don't think Moritz has said anything negative as yet.........!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#154 Posted : 03 April 2014 03:43:00(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Welcome to the forum.

I don't go to stummies, so thanks for the update.
Some posters here are interested in this, some are not.

Don't forget: necromancy is bad, m'kay?
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#155 Posted : 03 April 2014 08:11:44(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Having this long dead controversial topic being resurrected by someone who's been kicked out of another forum smells of trouble to me, or have I totally mis-read what's happening here?

Hello Ray,
I just wanted to give You an update about what happened in Germany. The idea of the open letter was the same and we realized it.

I think, we got respectfull response from Märklin, allthough not all answers are satisfying. But, we should wait what will happen within the next 12 months.

My slogan and the slogan of the letter was: "With Märklin/Trix into a good future!" And that's all, what should be important for us! Märklin got a clear message from several hundred customers. Now, it's their move.

As You can see in my profile, I'm memeber of this forum since: 02 April 2013 20:51:08 This is exactly one year ago!

You don't know me and I don't know You. I would not trust me to judge about You like You did about me.

Cheers,
Moritz
Offline RayF  
#156 Posted : 03 April 2014 09:21:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post

Hello Ray,
I just wanted to give You an update about what happened in Germany. The idea of the open letter was the same and we realized it.

I think, we got respectfull response from Märklin, allthough not all answers are satisfying. But, we should wait what will happen within the next 12 months.

My slogan and the slogan of the letter was: "With Märklin/Trix into a good future!" And that's all, what should be important for us! Märklin got a clear message from several hundred customers. Now, it's their move.

As You can see in my profile, I'm memeber of this forum since: 02 April 2013 20:51:08 This is exactly one year ago!

You don't know me and I don't know You. I would not trust me to judge about You like You did about me.

Cheers,
Moritz

I apologise for pre-judging you. I may have been a bit hasty with my opinion.

I guess I got a bit jumpy when I saw this delicate subject being brought up again, especially when I saw you only had a handful of posts in this forum. This topic, and some other similar ones, were the direct cause of me almost leaving the forum. I found that the forum was getting over-critical of everything that Marklin did, whether justified or not, and this completely spoilt my enjoyment of the forum.

Please continue with the excellent posts you have provided in other topics which show your models and how you have improved them.
Ray
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline RayF  
#157 Posted : 03 April 2014 09:26:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Oh Ray.....dont be like that, the more opinions the better, they only have to be said in a respectful way to make the debate better, on the other hand, this person, Moritz, is a new member and he have already shown us some nice projects....

Hi Francisco,

I have already apologised to Moritz, but maybe I'm already tired of this debate.

It could be I've been a member of this forum for too long. It might be time for me to take a break.
Ray
Offline RayF  
#158 Posted : 03 April 2014 09:27:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I don't think Moritz has said anything negative as yet.........!

No, you're right. Nothing negative yet. Sorry about that.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#159 Posted : 03 April 2014 09:36:00(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   

I apologise for pre-judging you. I may have been a bit hasty with my opinion.

I guess I got a bit jumpy when I saw this delicate subject being brought up again, especially when I saw you only had a handful of posts in this forum. This topic, and some other similar ones, were the direct cause of me almost leaving the forum. I found that the forum was getting over-critical of everything that Marklin did, whether justified or not, and this completely spoilt my enjoyment of the forum.

Please continue with the excellent posts you have provided in other topics which show your models and how you have improved them.

Thanks, Ray!

I fully agree, I also hate those over-critical statemens. Therefore, it was my deep wish and target, only concentrate the open letter on the 3-pole motor issue. There were requests from several users to add other "problems" to this letter, too.

But it was not my intention to write a denunciation letter to Märklin. Therefore, I declined such requests from over-critical users and choosed a haed line that marks out, that we want to stay with Märklin and go together with Märklin into the future. It was very sad, that this positive intention was missunderstood by some people.

But I think, it is clarified now and here.

I registered one year ago but, although I use English in my daily work, it needs mor concetration to read and write here then in a german forum. But I decided now, to be more active here and I'm happy about so much positive feedback from several users to my first posts. This will be an inducement for me, to continue here on marklin-users.net.

Greetings,
Moritz
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline H0  
#160 Posted : 03 April 2014 10:39:22(UTC)
H0

Therefore, it was my deep wish and target, only concentrate the open letter on the 3-pole motor issue.
I did not support the letter on Stummi's Forum because three-pole motors are not a problem for me - at least not in general.
For me the issue with some recent Märklin locos is the combination of decoder and motor. Locos would run better with a better decoder, locos would run better with a better motor.
I don't count the poles if the performance is good.

I heard and read the replies from Märklin and I'm sceptic. They understand that people are unhappy about the new motors, but IMHO they cannot currently overcome their budget restrictions and I presume they will continue with the three-pole motors and their "homemade" mfx decoders.
They extended the order deadline for the E 93, but still did not announce which type of motor it will have.
On January 31 they published the latest episode of Märklin TV where they announce they would check both three-pole and five-pole motors for the E 93.
On February 19 Märklin Service replied to a customer that the E 93 would have the three-pole standard motor. So until further notice I assume the E 93 comes with a three-pole motor.

They received our feedback and I'm sure they will announce any improvements they make.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#161 Posted : 03 April 2014 10:56:24(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

I did not support the letter on Stummi's Forum because three-pole motors are not a problem for me - at least not in general.
For me the issue with some recent Märklin locos is the combination of decoder and motor. Locos would run better with a better decoder, locos would run better with a better motor.
I don't count the poles if the performance is good.

Sure, I know this argument and it is reasonable. But the Märklin mfx decoder have a problem with 3-pole motors. They work fine with 5-pole motors. Therefore, if Märklin would use good quality 5-pole motors and e.g. for steam engines Glockenanker motors, we coulkd stay with the Märklin mfx decoder very well.

If Märklin would change the decoder to support 3-pole motors like Esu LokPilot, we would have a better driving performance, but we would still have a cheap and simple made 3-pole DC drive.

Therefore, my focus of the open letter was on the motor, not on the decoder.

As we can read from several users, the long time quality of some of the new 3-pole DC drives seems not to be the best. Also, the quality varies within the same series. Therefore, I still beleive, that the 3-pole DC drive is not premium quality.

Regards,
Moritz
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline H0  
#162 Posted : 03 April 2014 12:19:56(UTC)
H0

As we can read from several users, the long time quality of some of the new 3-pole DC drives seems not to be the best. Also, the quality varies within the same series. Therefore, I still believe, that the 3-pole DC drive is not premium quality.
Märklin showed us that every new model goes through a 300 hour endurance test.
Performance at slow speeds probably is not on their test agenda.
Part of the problem is quality assurance and quality checks (or the lack of that). They always show us what they are doing - but despite all that, I have some models that do not meet my expectations (Ray thinks I'm too critical).

Märklin TRAXX and Ludmilla always had three-pole motors - they run well with fx decoder and bad with mfx decoders, even with the mfx decoders from the conversion sets.
Would be nice if they'd use five-pole motors for those, too.
Don't they make quality checks with their "hand-made samples" before they start mass production? (Rhetorical question - there were no relevant quality checks before they started deliveries of the Compact C-Sine locos).

I have a few Märklin locos that do not run well. It took me too long to notice how bad they behave so it was too late to return them to the dealer.
A decoder upgrade could give them acceptable performance. So could a motor upgrade.
I'm afraid I won't get neither free from Märklin and will have to buy new decoders from ESU ...
Better decoders are the simple solution for locos that were already shipped.

All models with Compact C-Sine could be sent back to Göppingen and came back running well. I'm afraid they didn't learn their lesson.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Janne75  
#163 Posted : 08 April 2014 22:13:42(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Moritz,

Thanks for posting here the Stummi Forum letter to Märklin. It was well written. I used Google translator to be able to understand it as I can't German. I just found out that you were banned from there... ThumbDown I am glad we have You now here! ThumpUp

Many 3-pole motors can be good enough, but 5-pole are usually better. But good 3-pole are better than bad 5-pole. It was good that you recommended them to use high quality motors in the premium models. It is difficult for Märklin to use the good, old, expensive C-Sinus, SDS and coreless motors in their models in this economic situation. Also the frames are different and it is expensive to modify the molds.

Maybe they could go back to DCM 5-pole motors with addition of ball bearings? Then they could use the old moulds as DCM motors were used before. For the motor this could be a good and reliable quite cheap solution. But the problem is the drive train = metal gears having noise, especially in locos having sounds. The new motors and their worm drives are so much more quiet.

Personally I don't have any problem with these new motors. I have seen many examples with new motors running really well. The real problem must be that some Märklin mfx decoders motor cv settings are not suitable for some of their new 3-pole DC? motors. Not a motors fault then. We can not generally blame all Märklin mfx decoders as many of them control motors and locos well. It is just the combo of different motors having different properties and different Märklin mfx decoders. So it is actually a motor cv mapping problem. Märklin has not done the cv mapping well enough to all different motors and locos having different weight and drivetrain ratios (different gearing ratios).

But anyway if I would buy a Premium loco that cost 500 euro I would like to know at least what motor type it is regardless how well it will run or how long does it last.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.