Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Would you sign an open letter to Märklin about decoder/motor problems with your name?
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 52 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#101 Posted : 15 January 2014 01:39:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I think that those who want to send a letter should simply send a letter to the company. It would be nice if one of the few members in the know could provide us with the best contact person to send our concerns to. Those who are happy with their models could equally send letters complimenting Maerklin on those models. The positive and negative feedback would definitely help Maerklin determine what they were doing right and what, perhaps, needed improvement.

The number of people who take their hobby so seriously that nobody else should dare to criticize it is a concern. We have seen over the past decade the "if you are not with us, you are with the terrorists (them)" mentality in some countries foreign policy, but this shouldn't have extended into the forum.

I think that this would be a much better way to proceed than to send one group letter.

What do you think?

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline franciscohg  
#102 Posted : 15 January 2014 01:50:54(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Personally i think that a group letter is the best way, but it seems that it is very complicated to take all the people's opinion together to make one letter that makes everybody happy.
For the record, i am one of the people wich is very, and i mean very, happy with my trains....but i think one can always be happier!!!!!! Nobody is perfect and Marklin is certainly not the exception but the way to get the brand to improve everyday is to give users feedback directly to them and not only trough dealers, IMHO
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline kimballthurlow  
#103 Posted : 15 January 2014 03:08:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post

Thus they began a Sinus motor adventure that lasted from 2001 to 2010...
Eventually, they probably planned that ALL models with bell-shaped motors will be replaced with a smaller, second generation Sinus.

..........Marklin is now clearly moving away from standardization -- that ALL of their rivals had achieved 20 years ago....

.... and they keep sending confusing signals by continuing to keep DCM model lineup.... probably as their last reserve??
I'm not sure....
The new BR152 / BR182 / BR189 (39840/39850/39860) combos seemed to indicate that Marklin's still moving away from DCM.

... but then against all odds, old tooling BR151 and BR111 are back this year...
Neither models received a new frame, or motor.....

Apologies for this long rant...... which probably sums up everything that I wrote of late in various threads to full.

Hi Tim and all,
Thanks for this dissertation, your understanding of the motor types and applications is very helpful to me.

Anyway, the statement "sending confusing signals" regarding their recent motor choices, gives me something to talk about.

It is certainly possible that the signals are confusing to some Marklin customers, but I can believe that the majority do not care, so long as the model works on their track, and operates basically the way they expect.

And I want to talk about the logistics that a company like Marklin face every week of their working operation, in order to turn their work into profit.
"We make 50,000 model locos a year, so we need 50,000 motors.
Do we have the capacity to make 50,000 motors in-house, or do we need to buy some or all of them from another manufacturer?
If so, which motors do we need, and what size, to fit the various models?
OK, so we agree that we cannot make most of them in-house, and we have approached firm ABC to manufacture the A type of motor, but they say they can deliver only 10,000 of them by 1 May (we need 13,000 by then).
But manufacturer XWZ can make 13,000 of A type and deliver them by 1 May, we have purchased from them before, and their delivery is always on schedule.
However the XWZ motor is a different design to ABC and maybe a few customers (500 out of 13,000) will not like the motor in their models.
OK we will go with XWZ because we get the product out as planned. etc etc, and we have a profitable run."

And so on, for all 50,000 locos.........

I cannot find myself critical of Marklin at all.
If I have ever had a problem with a loco, they either repair it under warranty, or they repair it at my cost.
I have never had an insurmountable problem.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Danlake  
#104 Posted : 15 January 2014 04:43:11(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I work in a region of the world where you are not allowed openly to criticise the state in a public domain.

I enjoy this forum because we have a varied discussion with people from all over the world.

For outsiders reading this post it now looks like Marklin is superior power and you are not allow to criticise them…

I hope this forum will not turn into an advertisement for Marklin…

Anyhow this post has had lots of interesting reading and opinions and I learned a lot about motors and decoders I was unaware off.

I thank the respective users for participating.

As a final note I would also like to participate in an group letter and can be contacted via PM.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline TimR  
#105 Posted : 15 January 2014 06:48:30(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I still think we should send this group letter...

We've gone too far ahead to cancel in my opinion.

Probably just need to streamline the letter down to highlight the most crucial issues first and foremost.

The main issue for me is to highlight the motor selection and/or decoder regulation problem..
I don't have any objection even if anyone would like to include other issues that doesn't really concern me.

Marklin is after all, far from perfect.
They're really going down the wrong way, in my opinion.
Far from the glory days they had when I started buying their products.

As for the exact wording of the letter itself, I don't or wouldn't have any issue -- a group letter is after all, a compromise.

Thanks, Tom (H0) for your hard work in composing the letter so far....
Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline RayF  
#106 Posted : 15 January 2014 08:56:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
May I suggest that those who feel strongly about this issue should send individual letters, or get together and send a group letter signed by those individuals, but not as representatives of this forum.

It is pretty apparent to me that the majority of members of this forum are not in favour of putting their name on a list of complaints they do not share. This is not a question of not being allowed to criticise, but rather one of not being bullied into putting your name to something you have no wish to be involved in.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Goofy  
#107 Posted : 15 January 2014 09:27:36(UTC)
Goofy

Even digital lighting signals did not worked as it should.
How many customer didn´t complainment against Marklin and returned back to repair,which also cost a lot of money for Marklin to fix the problem?
No Tom...you shouldn´t cancelled the letter or topic.
We customer must give an kick in the ass to Marklin sometimes,because we are the customer who buy Marklin products too.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Danlake  
#108 Posted : 15 January 2014 09:39:27(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
http://freepdfhosting.com/600857c96c.pdf

Version 1 - only concerns motor/decoder issues.

PM or email: danlake@xtra.co.nz

Suggest user in Germany to be contact person and sending the letter off.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline TimR  
#109 Posted : 15 January 2014 10:10:41(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Ray,
Apologies beforehand,
but I think the whole idea of this thread is just to gather the common opinions of those who are thinking the same way.
We (okay, me included) think there is a problem with Marklin, and we use this thread to discuss it..

Well, I tried to contain myself to post on this thread only rather than letting it spill over to other threads,
but discussion often got heated,
because members who don't feel like they need to complain about anything have to ask why?? sometimes in other threads too....

Sorry, but the why?? sometimes just too tempting to not answer....
after all, every question demands an answer... or rather an opinionated answer....

And IF they only want positive answers to the question, I have to ask back;
Why bother asking why? in the first place if you don't like the answer?

I don't think anyone who answer negatively (about Marklin) meant to do any harm....

Noone should feel offended too, as I can't see any insulting words got thrown into the mix, just because we have different opinon.

This is the users-net, and we had posts complaining all the time.
I would contribute from time-to-time, even if I disapprove of the complains, but I never complain about the complainers..

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

It is pretty apparent to me that the majority of members of this forum are not in favour of putting their name on a list of complaints they do not share.

Personally, I don't think we should think about counting how many members feels this or that....

This thread also has its own poll, but like all polls, they largely will not properly represent the true number.

There are inactive members;
there are probably members who only buy 1 Marklin loco once in a blue moon, and just reading once in a while;
there are probably members who are primarily DC users who just read this forum for references/convenience only;
there are members who had decided to stop buying Marklin due to seperate cause outside the scope of the problem discussed here;
the point is.... I don't think the number matters.

The importance for me is that there are some of us who are agreeing on something, and let's put our own vote together for a letter.
Something collective that are agreed together will mean something more vs individual letters - that can be also be used to support the collective letter.

This is not a question of not being allowed to criticise, but rather one of not being bullied into putting your name to something you have no wish to be involved in.

'Bullied' is actually a very strong term....

Gone were the days in Users-net, when there used to be a troll who would crush whoever wrote their grievances to smithereens...
Let us not go there, and just be grateful for what we have now.

I never see any 'bullying' happening in any thread.

After all, the poll give every members to voice their opinion whether they want to contribute or not.
No one is really trying to persuade others to sign up.

I'm not interested in persuading anyone to sign up.
Let's just air our grievance and be done with it.... hopefully.... peacefully....?

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline RayF  
#110 Posted : 15 January 2014 10:21:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
OK by me.

I just don't like the idea that a letter be sent representing the views of members of this forum, when I don't share those views. This is why I advocate sending letters by individuals or groups who feel they have a grievance, as long as that group does not include me.

If I am wrong and there is a majority of contributing members who genuinely have a grievance with Marklin then I will have to remain in the minority or leave the forum.

I'd rather not leave.
Ray
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#111 Posted : 15 January 2014 10:32:05(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
OK by me.

I just don't like the idea that a letter be sent representing the views of members of this forum, when I don't share those views. This is why I advocate sending letters by individuals or groups who feel they have a grievance, as long as that group does not include me.

If I am wrong and there is a majority of contributing members who genuinely have a grievance with Marklin then I will have to remain in the minority or leave the forum.

I'd rather not leave.

As Tim rightly says, there are so many members of this forum who do NOT have an opinion on this topic, it would be unfair to send a letter "from" the user-net group hosted by Juhan.
By all means send a letter, but signed only by those members "privately", who feel strongly enough about the contents.

Anyway, it has been interesting learning about the experience of some other members relating to motors and model behaviour.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#112 Posted : 15 January 2014 10:39:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post

Brgds - Lasse

Lasse, I suggest

1) That you replace m-users.net with marklin-users.net, which is the official url of the forum. (However, see my comments later in this post)

2) You have a mix of Marklin and Märklin in the letter, you should standardise with Märklin.

For this reason, I think it might be best to not have the name of this forum involved on the letter - and I think this is what Juhan would prefer. By all means use the forum and this thread to discuss the contents of the letter, but the final letter should be signed by those who wish to as individual people rather than forum members.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#113 Posted : 15 January 2014 11:15:42(UTC)
H0

It is pretty apparent to me that the majority of members of this forum are not in favour of putting their name on a list of complaints they do not share. This is not a question of not being allowed to criticise, but rather one of not being bullied into putting your name to something you have no wish to be involved in.
It was my idea to compile a letter with about 8 items where Märklin can improve their products.
Each person signing that letter would have voted for each item.
Märklin would have gotten scores for each item. This would have allowed them to tell items of general interest (say 30+ yes votes) from items of special interest (say only 3 yes votes).

The preamble tries to make clear that it is a letter compiled and supported by a handful of people who met at this forum - it tries to make clear this is not an official forum letter. It's just a draft and the name of the forum could have been taken out.

Everybody signing the letter would have had the option to say No to individual items. It was not my intention to bully anybody into signing the letter or making an "everything or nothing" letter.

And I also wrote that items with more No than Yes votes would have been taken off the letter.

That was my idea. There was too much bullying against this idea.

We call it constructive criticism and suggest possible improvements and submit wishes. Those who are perfectly happy with the current Märklin quality call it "complaints", "misery", "unhappy", ...

In democracies the majority rules - but minorities also have their rights.
Here it looks as if the loud majority of happy Märklin users bullies against the minority. It seems Märklin quality really is a sacred cow.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#114 Posted : 15 January 2014 11:42:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Tom,

I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and wisdom of all things Marklin and railways in general.

I read with interest your tests on the slow running characteristics of the new locos and verified it myself with my own experiments. The only disagreement I have is with the response to those tests. I could not care less whether my loco's slowest speed is 2kph or 4kph. For me both are slow enough. Therefore I have no problem with my loco and am quite happy to accept the decoder and motor as being adequate, even though I can see that the performence is not quite as good as the previous model. I accept that Marklin must have good reasons for having to use this motor and decoder combination.

While this is my opinion, I have no problem with others being unhappy about this, and even support the idea that those who don't like it should complain. There are those who never complain, those who always complain, and those who only complain when severely provoked. I leave it up to each person to decide which bracket best describes them. I know I personally only complain when severely provoked.

My only gripe with this thread has been the idea that a letter be sent claiming to represent the members of this forum, when it does not represent mine. Nevertheless I have stayed clear of posting in it until I saw that others were of the same opinion as me.

The only bullying I have noted was not in this thread, but in Bertil's "Happy with Marklin" thread, where some tried to chime in with negative comments that were not in the spirit of the thread. I felt that was a form of bullying.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline TimR  
#115 Posted : 15 January 2014 12:15:20(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
By all means use the forum and this thread to discuss the contents of the letter, but the final letter should be signed by those who wish to as individual people rather than forum members.

Thanks, Dave...

I always thought that the letter would be signed by real individuals,
rather than our pseudonames as forum members.
... and it should never be signed as representing the forum as a whole.

The initiative was born in this forum,
it's our vehicle to discuss things and share ideas / criticism, etc;
but one letter can never represent what every members in this forum are saying...

Besides, we hardly ever agree in every little thing discussed here anyways...

... There are always many aspects of collecting Marklin that we hold dear to ourselves,
we enjoyed them,
but others might think that... Hell! Those are actually the worst aspects of the hobby!
... and vice versa.

MRR is still largely an individual hobby that you alone can enjoy,
maybe we like to show them off to others sometimes....
... and we like to keep on talking about it with others that has the same common interest...

But it's still our own hobby individually..... our business outside of work.... so don't touch our treasures!!

So long as the models/collection you have still put a smile in your face, be happy!

This letter is just born out a few people who happen to share the same idea.

So let's put the issues aside, and let it roll...
I'd like to send my individual e-mail too as soon as the group letter has been sent... partially in support of the group letter.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline Danlake  
#116 Posted : 15 January 2014 12:29:28(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Version 2 uploaded:

http://freepdfhosting.com/6b0bf8a84b.pdf

Now reads: This letter was compiled by some members in the online community and contains wishes and suggestions.

Brgds - Lasse
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Goofy  
#117 Posted : 15 January 2014 12:34:15(UTC)
Goofy

Tom,

I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and wisdom of all things Marklin and railways in general.

I read with interest your tests on the slow running characteristics of the new locos and verified it myself with my own experiments. The only disagreement I have is with the response to those tests. I could not care less whether my loco's slowest speed is 2kph or 4kph. For me both are slow enough. Therefore I have no problem with my loco and am quite happy to accept the decoder and motor as being adequate, even though I can see that the performence is not quite as good as the previous model. I accept that Marklin must have good reasons for having to use this motor and decoder combination.

While this is my opinion, I have no problem with others being unhappy about this, and even support the idea that those who don't like it should complain. There are those who never complain, those who always complain, and those who only complain when severely provoked. I leave it up to each person to decide which bracket best describes them. I know I personally only complain when severely provoked.

My only gripe with this thread has been the idea that a letter be sent claiming to represent the members of this forum, when it does not represent mine. Nevertheless I have stayed clear of posting in it until I saw that others were of the same opinion as me.

The only bullying I have noted was not in this thread, but in Bertil's "Happy with Marklin" thread, where some tried to chime in with negative comments that were not in the spirit of the thread. I felt that was a form of bullying.

That was typical comments,when you know yourself that Marklin did not reported to the customer about cheap motor with only 3 pole.
Also problems with other products from Marklin did become complainment from other customer which says more than thousands of the words.
Ray...aren´t you protecting just the name of Marklin right know and not the victims with bad quality from Marklin??
I wonder if you really have an locomotiv with 3 pole motor and sound decoder from Marklin too?
Can you show up test results by use it,so other can see and understand?
Perhaps i can do that with my new locomotivs from Marklin with mfx+ decoder??

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline RayF  
#118 Posted : 15 January 2014 13:22:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Tom,

That was typical comments,when you know yourself that Marklin did not reported to the customer about cheap motor with only 3 pole.
Also problems with other products from Marklin did become complainment from other customer which says more than thousands of the words.
Ray...aren´t you protecting just the name of Marklin right know and not the victims with bad quality from Marklin??
I wonder if you really have an locomotiv with 3 pole motor and sound decoder from Marklin too?
Can you show up test results by use it,so other can see and understand?
Perhaps i can do that with my new locomotivs from Marklin with mfx+ decoder??

Hi Anders,

I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Marklin did not report to me that they had used a 3 pole motor. I never saw then do so for any of the older models with 3 pole motors, so don't expect any different today. The "5-star" logo stopped meaning DCM 5 pole motor some time ago, as far as I'm aware.

2. I don't need to protect Marklin, and I don't feel the need to protect "victims of poor quality" either That's what the law is for. If a product is not fit for purpose or is broken under guarantee you can get your money back or the product replaced.

3. I have a couple of locos with these new motors and MFX decoders. 37741 V160, 37165 Br 94 and 37001 OBB 2048 I think have these motor/decoder combinations. I think maybe a couple of others too. If these locos don't have the 3 pole motors then I apologise for misleading you.

4. I ran tests on the 37741, and the slowest speed equated to about 4-5 kph, which looks like about walking speed. The other locos I have not measured, but run slowly to my satisfaction.

5. I thought the mfx+ locos were not part of this discussion? Anyway, I have no experience of any of these.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NZMarklinist  
#119 Posted : 15 January 2014 13:24:58(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Brgds - Lasse

Lasse, I suggest

1) That you replace m-users.net with marklin-users.net, which is the official url of the forum. (However, see my comments later in this post)

2) You have a mix of Marklin and Märklin in the letter, you should standardise with Märklin.

For this reason, I think it might be best to not have the name of this forum involved on the letter - and I think this is what Juhan would prefer. By all means use the forum and this thread to discuss the contents of the letter, but the final letter should be signed by those who wish to as individual people rather than forum members.

"Suggest user in Germany to be contact person and sending the letter off."
Our Guy is Tom and his friends from the Stummi forum !?

Whilst I would not have (thought of) instigated this myself, I think it is a shame for the brand if they don't get customer feedback, so I hope this idea is not dead in the water.
I believe the ideas (Tom's) above, about how the letter is to be presented are sound, from individuals, not some "noisey" forum.

Those who are Insider Club Members could perhaps indentify themselves with their membership number Unsure Scared LOL (then become "Outsiders" quikly Scared Tongue Laugh )
Also everybody, a lot of recent posters, don't forget that Tom started this thread with the news that it had been proposed by the Stummi forum, so we should not take ownership of it anyway. Tom was asking who else would like to be counted, and be prepared to sign.

For my part I would like to complaign about the original Compact Csine motors that gave running issues and that only thru forums (Marklin B&G) did I learn of the "secret" program where owners could return their Loks and a decoder board would be swapped for instance, with the 37900 V290 which has tyres on every axle, two of those are replaced with non tyred axles etc etc. So it was a secret but what is happening now, I have at least four of these, 39980, 39080, 39800, 37900. Actually none of mine used to, and still don't, give me any real trouble as I don't have seperated booster sections that give different running speeds etc, etc., that is untill I upgraded my 37900 to sound with Msd, and telex, it has been an expensive Son of a Gun, damn thing. of course now it's had solder points etc altered inside I don't think I'd get away with a return for "warranty modification", but why wouldn't Marklin distribute the necessary parts thru dealers who sold the said items who had customers asking ?? am I about to give Rolland at Lokshop a headache, I don't know, probably not, but if a new decoder board, obviously containing new Sinus driver electronics, was available, I'd really like to have one for all my affected models. I have the skills available (I hope Wink ) to make the repairs with no labour or postage cost to Marklin. If their are some setting changes to motor CVs, lets have 'em too, please Sneaky
Does anybody else have any thoughts on, or troubles with, compact Sinus modells ??

As for the current cheap motor syndrome, I believe Lobich and co used them as a way of improving the bottom line, as probably requested by Herr Pluta, so the company would be a more attractive buyers proposition. So now I hope they will listen and give some consideration to our (those in Tom's suggested letter including Stummis ?) thoughts and improve the brand quality which should produce more sales I trust in the long term !

Just my 2c worth (about 1.2eu cents)
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline biedmatt  
#120 Posted : 15 January 2014 14:17:13(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I am happy with Marklin. They bring great joy into my life. They are a full line manufacturer making lokos, rolling stock, track, signals, electronic control equipment, everything. I believe Lionel is the only other full line maker. This is unusual in MRR and is to be commended. It is easy to have the best signals, or lokos or whatever when those individual products are all you make. I would not only rate Marklin's product line as very good, but excellent. That said, there is always room to improve. Technology moves forward and so must a manufacturer or they will become obsolete and irrelevant.

I never saw this letter as representative of the Marklin-users group. To me the poll was simply for Tom to determine if it was worth his time to proceed with such a letter. No sense spending your time when there is no interest. This letter will not represent Ray's views. I respect that and feel if it is a group letter, then it be identified as "individuals" from an internet forum and not Marklin-users.

Some points are valid. Marklin released the five armature motor with the 3511 back in the '80s. I remember well my dealer singing the praises of this new motor. Their icon for this motor was "5*" and to my knowledge has always remained this icon for any five armature motor. I know manufacturers "reserve the right" to change specifications at any time. Marklin has decided to supply three armature motors in some lokos. Since printed catalogs are not green and relics from the past, most everyone gets their info from the manufacturer's web site. Marklin should correct their icons if the motor specification has changed and they should proof read their material before publishing to be sure it does reflect the product's true specification. It isn't hard to change a web page. This is probably simple loss of oversight on someone's part, but the bottom line is it looks like deceit to some. Why would you provide the chance for such an opinion be derived by some enthusiasts? Fix the icons.

Some things Marklin does exasperates me. Why they block a digital format in their lokos when it is there and complete can only suggests a feeling I have always had with Marklin-"Our way or the highway" and specifically, "You will use Marklin Motorola or MFX and that will be it if you want to run our lokos in a digital format". I chose the highway. I replace every decoder with an ESU decoder that supports DCC. I wish I could buy the lokos without decoders, but I know Marklin will never offer them in such a manner. Please explain to me why releasing DCC in Marklin's decoders is an unreasonable request?

Because I replace my decoders, I do not have a problem with how the lokos run from Marklin. I know that I can fix and correct that. My only problem with the three armature motors is will Marklin support these new motors in the future? Will they support any of their motors in the future? Or will I end up with some nice static display toys? Or a lot of spare parts as I buy another identical loko to replace this dead one? Or cannibalize the motor from another loko to maintain this loko?

The color of the LEDs may seem trivial to some, but it reflects an indifference to simply "do the right" thing and use the correct LED. There was a time when you could not get the color you want or needed, those days are in the past. They tell us of all the detail they put on and in their products, then overlook something so simple and basic. I notice the color of the headlamps when I watch a loko run long before I see the details.

I am supporting others regarding the motor/decoder running characteristics not because it affects me, as stated above it does not, but in solidarity with those who do want an improvement. Tom's tests have proven objectivly the current MFX decoder does not regulate the motor as well as prior generation Marklin decoders, nor current ESU decoders. This is clearly a step backward. Please review the last sentence in my first paragraph of this post. I would think everyone would like their loko to run as well as possible. Perhaps if they ever activate DCC in their decoders, I too will be grateful with an improvement.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Goofy  
#121 Posted : 15 January 2014 18:07:43(UTC)
Goofy

Also default with CS2 and theirs bugs!
So many problems.
Okey...Marklin did solved problems,but customer(marklinister?) was angry and it´s wrong that we customer must feel pain too from Marklin who fool by say:We are the best in the world and promise you to create better quality products,which says Marklin accept bad quality like latest cheap motor too.
Bla bla bla...
What about expensive digital light signals?
How many customer hasn´t become fool by of Marklin?
Marklin says:We shall solve the problems and what is that:To create new signals!
The problems with Marklin is that they are rushing too fast by selling products which seems has not been tested enough before to show up the market.
Ohhh...never mind...i´m getting tired and wonder to what the hell i´m doing to start Marklin again...
I take an break to shop Marklin locomotivs and try to focus in other brands with 3 rail.
As Tom did wrote about sound decoder,i myself shall check after more with ESU sound decoder V4 and M4.
I shall also focus other brands with 3 rail.
By the way about Marklins new 2014...i believe this time mostley of them will have cheap motor...yes even Wurtemberg K will have 3 pole and not Faulhaber motor.
Why?
Because it only stand high effience motor,not bellshaped motor with flywheel...if not less Marklin change the mind. Wink
H0
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline mjrallare  
#122 Posted : 15 January 2014 20:47:36(UTC)
mjrallare

Since Ray told us in another thread to keep our misery to our own unhappy threads, I guess it's best to play it safe and continue posting here.

I love Märklin and always have. There are no other brand for me. I bought a couple of Trix waggons once, but the feeling just wasn't the same...
I am however not indifferent to what I buy. Not even when it comes to Märklin. Last year I bought a Dm3 "standard version" and two of the limited editions from a Swedish shop (not delivered yet). I've also bought the norwegian El 12. When I saw that the motors in these locos were 15€ each as spare parts I became a bit worried. I therefore tried to find out more about them. Especially as I READ IN THE MÄRKLIN MAGAZIN THAT GOOD MOTORS DOESN'T COME CHEAP.

So I'm obviously one of those negative guys that have caused depression and sickness to so many on this forum. I apologize for that. But can't there really be anything besides being 100% or 0% happy with Märklin? I think I'm about 90% happy... How can that offend so many people?

I haven't a clear picture about this new standard-motor yet, but I know more now than I did before. Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this. In the future we'll all know if we who are worried have been making a mountain of a molehill.

/Torbjörn
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by mjrallare
Offline mike c  
#123 Posted : 15 January 2014 21:27:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mjrallare Go to Quoted Post
I love Märklin and always have. There are no other brand for me. I bought a couple of Trix waggons once, but the feeling just wasn't the same...

I hope that Torbjörn was referring to an older Trix item, because for quite a few years now, Trix has been owned by Maerklin and the products have been basically the same models with DC wheel sets instead of the AC ones that come with the Maerklin models.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Webmaster  
#124 Posted : 15 January 2014 21:51:02(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Also default with CS2 and theirs bugs!
So many problems.

Have you experienced any problems with CS2 yourself?
I have not experienced any problems at all with my CS2 (60215) yet, but I do not use all available features so I am not representative regarding CS2 troubles.
However, there are others who have experienced really "stupid" problems - esp with an update leaving the unit in an useless state - and that is an issue, unsafe updates.

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline franciscohg  
#125 Posted : 15 January 2014 22:13:53(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, i had a physical problem with the CS2 that was repaired at my almost complete satisfaction, and later a recurrent software bug wich forced me to make repeated resets of the unit, it has apparently been solved with the last TFP update since it has not appeared anymore....other than that, perfectly happy with the unit.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline biedmatt  
#126 Posted : 15 January 2014 22:26:10(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mjrallare Go to Quoted Post

I hope that Torbjörn was referring to an older Trix item, because for quite a few years now, Trix has been owned by Maerklin and the products have been basically the same models with DC wheel sets instead of the AC ones that come with the Maerklin models.

Regards

Mike C

I think he meant current Trix products. I understand exactly what he feels. I have bought some Trix passenger cars so I could get different road numbers. Yeah, it says Marklin under that Trix sticker and other than the wheelsets, they are identical. But the box is different and it doesn't feel like a Marklin product.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kimballthurlow  
#127 Posted : 15 January 2014 23:27:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

.......For my part I would like to complaign about the original Compact Csine motors that gave running issues and that only thru forums (Marklin B&G) did I learn of the "secret" program where owners could return their Loks and a decoder board would be swapped for instance, with the 37900 V290 which has tyres on every axle, two of those are replaced with non tyred axles etc etc. So it was a secret but what is happening now, I have at least four of these, 39980, 39080, 39800, 37900. Actually none of mine used to, and still don't, give me any real trouble .......
Just my 2c worth (about 1.2eu cents)

Hi,

As Ray has said, each has a different view of their hobby.

But what I don't understand (should I really care??) is why members need to complain in this forum about an issue.
Could I possibly influence some members to use or try the following manner. And this can apply to Roco, Maerklin, Jouef or any other manufacturer.

if you have a loco that does not behave as you believe it should (for example, "running issues" as quoted above), return it to the dealer, or send it directly to Maerklin (manufacturer).
That is what I do, and I have never had a problem with the loco being repaired to my satisfaction.

I have had locos run erratically, they came back from Maerklin perfect.
I even mucked up installation of an MSD decoder (should I admit to that??), and Maerklin fixed it for me without cost.

regards
Kimball
Offline mjrallare  
#128 Posted : 15 January 2014 23:37:36(UTC)
mjrallare

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post

I think he meant current Trix products. I understand exactly what he feels. I have bought some Trix passenger cars so I could get different road numbers. Yeah, it says Marklin under that Trix sticker and other than the wheelsets, they are identical. But the box is different and it doesn't feel like a Marklin product.

That's exactly what I meant! Word-for-word... ThumpUp

/Torbjörn
Offline Danlake  
#129 Posted : 16 January 2014 04:51:17(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Dear All,

Maybe we should bring the discussion back to the initial topic?

I think it was a great idea Tom had and already now a lot of work (thoughts/ideas and testing) have gone into this subject so think it would be a waste to see no outcome and a actual letter sent off.

Reading from the latest post it’s my feeling now:

OK to have this discussion if we keep it in this post
OK to write a letter if it does not mention the name of this forum

So I suggest we continue discussion here. I already uploaded a pdf file (version 2) and maybe we can use this as a new starting point?

http://freepdfhosting.com/6b0bf8a84b.pdf

As we can continue discussion back and forward I suggest the first letter to be about decoder/motor issues?

So with present draft should we also include some of LED light issues?

And for those disconcerted users who do not like this idea; this post is about writing a letter. Not why we do it and continue challenging our views. There is another post called Not happy with Marklin – what’s up, where such discussion could be held. Thank You.

Brgds - Lasse
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline TimR  
#130 Posted : 16 January 2014 05:25:01(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Marklin should correct their icons if the motor specification has changed and they should proof read their material before publishing to be sure it does reflect the product's true specification. It isn't hard to change a web page. This is probably simple loss of oversight on someone's part, but the bottom line is it looks like deceit to some. Why would you provide the chance for such an opinion be derived by some enthusiasts? Fix the icons.

Even before the 3-pole fiasco, I've always thought that the old 5* HEP icon was obsolete...
The problem was back then, a lot of newer generation of models (post-90s) have been equipped with bell-shaped armature (reputable Maxxon or Faulhaber at the time).

It is actually rather misleading to customers that the old BR50 (3784*) and BR44 (3788*) with DCM motor; and the newer BR 59 or the streamlined BR05 (which shared the same Maxxon motor) have the same 5* HEP symbol.

Arguably, the bell-shaped was also 5-poler at the time.
But we're talking about two completely different motors, two completely different designs from two completely different eras....

Why symbol sharing may create problem in attracting new customers.
Let's look at the following scenarios;
Note that in these scenarios, we have to assume that not every NEW Marklin customers would automatically become members of Stummi or -Users.net....

Case study 1

After reading about Marklin, and grew interested,
a new customer decided to buy a Marklin starter set... let's start with 29757; the seemingly more child-friendly Fire Department train set, which happens to come with DCM motor...

.... well, DCM motor is not really for beginners.... I learned it the hard way.
... the customer might be impressed with the design of the loco, but a bit disappointed with the running qualities, and the difficulty of trying to get it to run a tad smoother and quieter..

He looked at his starter set in the Marklin Catalog, and saw that this starter set has [5* HEP] symbol
He would assume that all models with the same symbol is the same type, and shared exactly the same characteristic...
After all, they're model trains, right?
They should have standardized motor types....
Now he thought; maybe this is the motor type to avoid...

But then he happened to buy a Sinus model as his second loco (previous-generation of 39***);
different symbols for the motor -- maybe I should've give it a try, he thought...
and he then he found, Wow! What an excellent running quality!

... then he learned from the current Marklin Catalog, that all the new 39*** now have 5* HEP symbol instead of the Sine symbol he found in the box of the loco he bought...

The new customers would thought, so, now they're replacing Sinus motor with HEP?
(He didn't know that most of those models come with 3-poler which is better/worse to HEP depending on your perspective)..

End result: Prospective Lost of new customer...

Case Study 2

After reading about Marklin, new customer decide to buy a more user-friendly Starter-set...
... say a 29790 -- the ICE-2 starter set with the large hobby can motor..

As in the previous case, he looked at his starter set in the Marklin Catalog, and saw that this starter set has [5* HEP] symbol....
.....Yes, 29790 is a unique case.... Marklin got the symbol on the box, and they never fixed the website too....

He would assume that all models with the same symbol is the same type, and shared exactly the same characteristic...
After all, they're model trains, right?
They should have standardized motor types....

For his next model, he decided to start buy another model from the 37*** range, with is more upscale compared to his starter set....

And he got lucky...
The first model he bought was a 37116.... a BR18.1 with Faulhaber motor.... with the same [5* HEP] symbol, but already an entirely different motor inside.

Trying it at home, and he's very happy with the running characteristic...
Now, I'm hooked to Marklin, he thought happily.

Then the next model he bought a couple of years later was another 37- model, only this time, his luck ran out...
He bought a 37319 - a BR111 with MFX+ (sounds fancy... full sound too...) from 2014 New Items...

He got home, tried it, and now have to suffer the agony from DCM motor and poor decoder load regulation that he had not experienced before.....
To add the agony, MFX+ is not really compatible to his oldie MS.....
... This sucks! He would thought.... That [5* HEP] symbol is misleading consumers... and MFX+.... That piece of s***!

I thought all the other models with that symbol should have the same running quality as my ICE-2 and BR18.1

I knew my rights! He thought angrily. Screw Marklin! I'm going to look at other brands...
So he logged on to his internet at home, and started to list all of his Marklin items on eBay.

Game over.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline TimR  
#131 Posted : 16 January 2014 05:40:46(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Add Case Study 3 to the above so we'll get more recent items....

A customer bought Starter set 29171 with FX and digital symbol...

Hobby can motor inside, quite user friendly set...

Then he bought the next model a 37862, because hey, two locos in a set, that makes it a good price.
[5* HEP] and MFX symbol --> seemed like a step up from my starter set, he thought too...

--- well, I used to have one of these BR86, and they're quite delicate in maintenance...

Having no experience in maintaining DCM motor before, the new customers decided to give up.
Then he looked at the catalog, and everything 37- and 39- have [5* HEP] symbol... his heart sank....

He then decided to go and visit the local MRR shop the next day, and look at the Pikos.

In all the above cases, NEW customers might not got serious with MRR for a while.. Probably, they would really make that huge leap towards becoming a huge customer a few years after they bought his first starter set and/or their second loco...

So first impression counts.....

And in all the above cases, those people would've silently decided to go with other brands a few years later,
and start stocking more than 30 locos in their home, and their own story roll from there....

From the three above scenarios, it's not only important to update the symbols.....

Motor standardization should always be Marklin's top most priority.

At the moment, there are so many different subtypes of motors;
  • Hobby can motor;
  • 5-pole DCM;
  • Bell-shaped Armature;
  • (now history) Sinus motors;
  • and new 3-Poler El-cheapo.....

To make it worse, even the new 3-Poler El-cheapo is non-standardized..... different motor for different locos...

The too many different sub-types of motor can only give one result;
the first impression that ONE motor gives to customer will be the one that last..... Everything else will be labelled according to that first impression.

Customers are not usually very forgiving in their first try,

Once they have more experience, and start to like a particular motor and THE brand, then they becoming more tolerant towards the shortcomings of the favorite brand or the corresponding motor.

But the current Marklin setup with motors - basically develop scenarios where each motor will betray each other - and thus made the Marklin brand suffer in the end...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
Offline Armando  
#132 Posted : 16 January 2014 06:00:31(UTC)
Armando

United States   
I think that those who want to send a letter should simply send a letter to the company. It would be nice if one of the few members in the know could provide us with the best contact person to send our concerns to. Those who are happy with their models could equally send letters complimenting Maerklin on those models. The positive and negative feedback would definitely help Maerklin determine what they were doing right and what, perhaps, needed improvement.

The number of people who take their hobby so seriously that nobody else should dare to criticize it is a concern. We have seen over the past decade the "if you are not with us, you are with the terrorists (them)" mentality in some countries foreign policy, but this shouldn't have extended into the forum.

I think that this would be a much better way to proceed than to send one group letter.

What do you think?

Regards

Mike C

I agree with Mike, but I would include in the wording of the letter that it was the result of extensive exchange of comments of fans on this forum.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline mike c  
#133 Posted : 16 January 2014 06:06:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Let me get a few things straight.

Should I be upset if Maerklin delivers another Re 6/6 or Re 4/4 with the same motor as all the other ones in my collection? I am not going to complain if it is a little noisy. I would love it if it had the same quality as a Hag motor and perhaps Maerklin should at least look into using ball bearings to make it run smoother.
If they were to use a central mounted can motor with dual camshafts, I would expect to have at least three powered axles and would hope that it would have enough traction to pull a realistic length train on an average scale incline or descent. Many seem to be upset with the basic motors now being used for some models.

It seems that all I hear about the Roco Re 4/4 model is how it needs extra weight and cannot pull 14 coaches. You can't have it both ways, either you want a whisper quiet motor that might have some pulling limits or you can have the trusty old Maerklin motor that sounds like a can opener, but it is reliable and outside of lubrification, brush changes and normal maintenance, you can be pretty sure that it will still run in 25 years.

Where I have an issue with Maerklin is if they move to cheaper components without lowering the price, I feel it is a dishonour to the brand.
We have already seen the situation where some C-sine components are no longer repairable (parts) and those models are now just a decade old.
I think that Maerklin has to make a commitment to support whatever motors they decide to use and to continue to stock parts for older models so that the tradition can be maintained.
I would not be opposed to Maerklin using motors designed by Hag, nor would I be upset by the use of quality Faulhaber, Maxxon or Canon motors.

My passion is electric locomotives and my era is post 1965, so I don't have many steam or classic E-loks.
It may be more complicated to design motors to fit into boilers, etc, which may be why some companies have motorized the tender, but I think that the company can find a solution that respects the brand.

I am not pleased by the creeping price increase on the Hobby models. I like the fact that M has woken up and will release some of the Trix Traxx Trains (say that 3 times fast) as Maerklin AC models. I like the Trix version and it will be nice to have it in Maerklin as my first Re 482 with sound. Hopefully a DB 185 with Swiss Paket will be next or a Re 484.

I don't get why somebody would say that a Trix model is not the same as a Maerklin model. A collector may look at it that way, but for the rest of us, once you put on AC wheel sets, it is the same as a Maerklin model (in terms of looks and running). Only brand collectors care about what's on the box. If I can have a Trix version to complete a train, I will not hesitate. So, instead of the TEE Rheinpfeil Set, I have the TEE Roland from Trix and I also have the Riviera Express Set of FS coaches. I am happy to have the model of the consist as that was what drove the purchase. I hope that some of you will be more open to this in the future.

I WILL SAY THIS LOUD AND I WILL SAY THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN… If you have a problem with a model, you should contact service(at)maerklin.de. This is the only way that the company will get the message that there is an issue with a model. Whether it be to ask to send the item back for repairs, notifying them that you are returning the item to the dealer and why, etc, your information will help them to avoid the same mistake in the future.

We got them to change the paint job and the pantographs on the 37360. We can surely get them to change other new models too, if we get their attention.
Any members touring the Office (Goeppingen) or the Plant (Gyoer) should do their utmost to learn the names of the product managers, so that we can get our messages directly to their attention. It would also help if we could get those people to read the forum, rather than just the corporate press officer or similar.

Let me know what you think.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline TimR  
#134 Posted : 16 January 2014 06:27:44(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

Should I be upset if Maerklin delivers another Re 6/6 or Re 4/4 with the same motor as all the other ones in my collection? I am not going to complain if it is a little noisy. I would love it if it had the same quality as a Hag motor and perhaps Maerklin should at least look into using ball bearings to make it run smoother.
If they were to use a central mounted can motor with dual camshafts, I would expect to have at least three powered axles and would hope that it would have enough traction to pull a realistic length train on an average scale incline or descent. Many seem to be upset with the basic motors now being used for some models.

It seems that all I hear about the Roco Re 4/4 model is how it needs extra weight and cannot pull 14 coaches. You can't have it both ways, either you want a whisper quiet motor that might have some pulling limits or you can have the trusty old Maerklin motor that sounds like a can opener, but it is reliable and outside of lubrification, brush changes and normal maintenance, you can be pretty sure that it will still run in 25 years.

Mike,
I agree with you.

My 5-pole DCM Re4/4 IIs, even bog standard, is actually quieter, smoother and have better pulling power compared to most of the other DCM models I have. Those Re4/4 II have excellent weight distribution, and are monster pullers. They can even pull better compared to some Sinus models...

And like you, I got hooked up on the design of Marklin's Re4/4 II and Re6/6 models. Personally, I think they have done a fantastic job in sculpting the basic models, that I'm willing to tolerate having a less favorable motor in them.

.... Back then, I did wrote to them when they were going to release the new tooling Re6/6. They delayed the launch for one year, if I'm not mistaken. And I asked them to make the Re6/6 have at least 4-axle powered instead of going cheap and just put the Re4/4 II drivetrain in them....
..... but of course, once they make up their mind about something.........

As existing Marklin customers, we are already more forgiving toward some shortcomings, and willing to overlook some weaknesses for their strengths....

Here's where it got confusing regarding the whole motor fiasco..... Look at the new Eurosprinters with 4-axle power and (probably another) 3-poler motor....

Well, they didn't mention that that the new motor has any flywheel.... I think they are 3-polers..
For others, that's probably how you identify whether the model has a 3-pole motor or not...

I think in the end, Marklin is still heading toward phasing out DCM eventually too.....

I know what I like, and I dislike the direction that Marklin is heading.

Fortunately, there are still over 100 other models with Sinus motor or bell-shaped armature available on eBay that I haven't got my hands on.
Yes, New Marklin items are also competing with eBay offerings.... and at the moment, they're losing...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#135 Posted : 16 January 2014 08:48:40(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Message body cannot be empty.

Edited by user 18 March 2014 05:37:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline Danlake  
#136 Posted : 17 January 2014 18:22:25(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all,

Seems like this idea is a dead fishBlink
But been interesting to read some of the commentsThumpUp
I guess only time will tell if there was a merit in this discussionConfused
In any case – I hope we could start making some more in depth reviews of the loco’s we buyThumpUp
At the moment I’m researching to buy a new DSLR camera and its impressive how much in depth reviews and bench mark testing you can find on the netBigGrin
Looking for in-depth reviews of a 400euro toy loco. Keep looking… At least not available in EnglishCrying
Maybe such an idea could bring us all closer togetherWub

Brgds - Lasse
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline biedmatt  
#137 Posted : 17 January 2014 18:36:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I will send a letter personally, does anyone have a name and address that would provide the most good?
Matt
Era 3
Offline H0  
#138 Posted : 17 January 2014 20:04:50(UTC)
H0

In any case – I hope we could start making some more in depth reviews of the locos we buy
In depth?
The author will be called a rivet counter, a nit picker - and there will be more "unhappy" threads.

Happy Märklin users should not click the button.

I could not care less whether my loco's slowest speed is 2kph or 4kph. For me both are slow enough. Therefore I have no problem with my loco and am quite happy to accept the decoder and motor as being adequate, even though I can see that the performance is not quite as good as the previous model. I accept that Marklin must have good reasons for having to use this motor and decoder combination.
Interesting way to see it. I think they have a good reason: higher profit. I don't accept that reason for lower quality or worse performance.

IMHO a speed of 8 km/h at speed step 1 is sufficiently slow - provided the loco starts smooth without a jerk and provided the speed is replicable and stable within +/- 10 %. Some current Märklin models fail. Cheap Märklin Hobby fx locos do not fail that test.
Today I tested a Märklin loco with mouse piano decoder. Speed at speed step one was 0.06 km/h. What a difference.

I cleaned that thread.

Seems like this idea is a dead fish
You cannot kill an idea. Maybe it was the wrong time - or the wrong place.
Märklin must have a good reason and they do not need our letter.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#139 Posted : 17 January 2014 20:33:58(UTC)
Webmaster

I think at least sending an email to Märklin at service@maerklin.de is a must as soon as new products are not working as they should or have other flaws.
The more mails they get, the more they will understand how their customers think and what the customers expect - and hopefully learn from that...

There is never a wrong time for that !!!

I did that Tuesday night this week and got an answer on Thursday that put me in the right direction for fixing my item "problem" without having to send it in or such...
Maybe the next batch or version of the particular model will be improved regarding "my problem"....

@Tom - to be fair, a prototype image of the same area in the same size would be in place.. Wink
I myself like the top one as a good compromise, since it has more "discrete" rivets and details regarding size, but on the other hand the isolator color is probably wrong and it has 2 springs... The bottom one has more "coarse" details even if they are probably correct...

Probably I would buy the top one and replace the pantographs with proper Entec ones... Luckily I am not a collector of E-loks.... Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline mike c  
#140 Posted : 17 January 2014 20:54:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The bottom line is that we need to communicate with Maerklin. Whether it be about motor issues, finishing (paint, markings, railings, etc), packaging issues or defects and warranty issues, it is essential that these issues be communicated to the company. If they are not submitted, the company will simply assume that everything is fine.

I am not saying that we have to only send negative messages. I am sure that the company already receives loads of mails thanking them for a new item or praising an aspect of the hobby.

What I am saying is that if problems are not addressed, those problems will never be worked on.

At worst, you will receive a reply saying that they have registered your concerns and the matter has been forwarded to the person responsible.

If they fail to respond to a specific concern or issue, then we can consider a group letter, but the letter would be only from those who have signed their names and not from the entire forum, even though it could be mentioned that those involved were all members of said forum. Any such letter should address only one particular issue, since different issues may not be the responsibility of the same people at Maerklin.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#141 Posted : 20 January 2014 22:41:08(UTC)
H0

The poll is over. 25% said No to the letter. Did all those happy Märklin users forget to vote No?

I've send my own letter to Märklin - and today I got a response from Wolfrad Bächle.

If you think they can do better, write them what they can improve.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#142 Posted : 21 January 2014 23:50:25(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

I WILL SAY THIS LOUD AND I WILL SAY THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN… If you have a problem with a model, you should contact service(at)maerklin.de. This is the only way that the company will get the message that there is an issue with a model. Whether it be to ask to send the item back for repairs, notifying them that you are returning the item to the dealer and why, etc, your information will help them to avoid the same mistake in the future.

We got them to change the paint job and the pantographs on the 37360. We can surely get them to change other new models too, if we get their attention.

Let me know what you think.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

Aaah, some sense at last.
Thankyou, Mike, I believe that sums up the topic finding nicely.

And thanks Tom for your last post about your reply from Marklin.

regards
Kimball
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#143 Posted : 02 April 2014 12:30:28(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello,
there was a similar open letter initiative on the German Stummiforum board. We got over 240 supporting users for the open letter. That was over 80% off all users, who participated in the voting.

I will post the letter here, as I don't have access to the voting thread in the Stummiforum, because the admins there were not very amused about this open letter and finally, they decided to banish me from the forum.

As result from the open letter to Märklin, there is a interesting "answer" in the German Märklin TV chapter 64 on the Märklin homepage. Mr. Bächle reported there, that they are thinking about 5-pole motor for the upcoming E93 and other models, as well. But he also said, that they need the 3-pole motor, because a 5-pole would be too big to mount into a steam boiler of a steam locomotive. He forgot to tell, that there were Märklin steam locos with SDS-motor and Faulhaber motor, that fit into the steam boiler very well!
File Attachment(s):
Offener Brief an Märklin.pdf (14kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline hxmiesa  
#144 Posted : 02 April 2014 16:57:56(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
As result from the open letter to Märklin, there is a interesting "answer" in the German Märklin TV chapter 64 on the Märklin homepage. Mr. Bächle reported there, that they are thinking about 5-pole motor for the upcoming E93 and other models, as well. But he also said, that they need the 3-pole motor, because a 5-pole would be too big to mount into a steam boiler of a steam locomotive. He forgot to tell, that there were Märklin steam locos with SDS-motor and Faulhaber motor, that fit into the steam boiler very well!

Strange answer, as most motors in mini-club are 5-poles anyway ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline kbvrod  
#145 Posted : 02 April 2014 17:10:21(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

They are now.
I think we are talking HO here.

D
Offline kweekalot  
#146 Posted : 02 April 2014 17:18:07(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Moritz,

Thanks for sharing the Stummi letter.
Pity you're banned on Stummiforum. UserPostedImage
Marklin TV episode 64 was previously discussed on M-U, see here: LINK

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline H0  
#147 Posted : 02 April 2014 18:06:32(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

They are now.
I think we are talking HO here.
Yes. Five-pole motors fit into 1:220 locos - but are too big for 1:87 locos so three-pole motors have to be used for H0 scale. That's the message. ThumpUp

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#148 Posted : 02 April 2014 18:15:03(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
A little off-topic, but even if some hard words were said here regarding this topic, no one was banned off the forum......i think that talks very good about our communityThumpUp
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline RayF  
#149 Posted : 02 April 2014 21:39:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sorry to be uncharitable, but do we need trouble makers here?

I'll say no more....
Ray
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#150 Posted : 02 April 2014 23:25:31(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Sorry to be uncharitable, but do we need trouble makers here?

I'll say no more....

I missed it. Where is this trouble?
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon