Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bobsr  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2008 20:05:10(UTC)
bobsr

United States   
Hello,
I am a new member here, and have had Marklin stuff since the late 1940's. My Father had a huge "0" gauge collection in the early 1950's, and I got all the HO stuff as a kid. He subsequently sold his collection in the 1960's but I still have much of what I was given in HO plus added stuff over the years. I could write numerous posts on that 0 gauge collection. For example, he had 2 new - O gauge crocks which he paid $25 each for, and now worth over 6 figures. But as he always said, "I had them at the time. Who knew they would be worth more than a house."

I would like to start selling some of the HO, starting with some of the "new in the box" and some of the very oldest items not in boxes. It's kind of a huge task, as I don't have the latest Koll's and don't have a lot of sales prices on ebay worldwide as I just kind of started. I have been working this site for details now for several weeks, and have a lot of good information from the various fora about possibilities.Very useful information. Thank you!
There is a Marklin meet coming up shortly and I would like to get some advice on current selling prices of some of the oldest items if you would be so kind. Current Koll's or ebay info or other would be very helpful for ballpark. I can publish a list of some of the new in box items later.
The older stuff is harder. Here are a few items that came from 1 person probably as a set from the 1930-'s which I bought used a long time ago. Someone had a lot of fun back then. Without pics I know it's hard, but these are so old I think there is a market in almost any condition.

452 tunnel, 12 cm long, 9 cm high - perfect shape
467.2 2 ea red bridges, 6 cm wide - some chipped paint,
no dents
Rolling stock. from poor to not bad condition. Didn't see zinc pest.
365 open car (all cars have claw couplers)
374 steel car
381 closed car
328 baggage car
327 2 ea passenger cars
R 700 parts, mostly in indvidual dis-assembled pieces, but
probably restorable by someone:
2 tenders
2 engine bodies
1 works engine
lots of missc parts from the above all in various
pieces. (Nothing assembled)
1 hand signal, not marked Marklin, but similar to 440.1 in Koll's
(1994 hardbound) but predates that one because it has I think a
zinc base.
pre war 3 rail track - 1 set ea. of L and R points, 24 curves, 8 straights.

Comments and guesstimates accepted. But the collectors of the old stuff are special guys! I haven't seen much of this stuff appearing anywhere, but maybe there is more of it out there than I think.
I look forward to joining the discussions in the future and thanks for your comments.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2008 20:13:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
take really good photographs and sell them on ebay
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2008 04:02:16(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello and welcome to this forum,

I applaud you in your first good work of becoming familiar with what you have before unloading it on Ebay or selling the trains out!
I am a Marklin collector (well now more of a dealer [I buy + sell[) that works solely on ebay.com + ebay.de.
I have a good idea of what items sell for because I made an approximately 85 page text document with auction prices of sold Marklin items (every item in the Koll's book) including pictures, auction prices, starting prices and lots (LOTS!) of information!!!

I would love to help you with your sale / research as it's what I enjoy doing!
Feel free to contact me and/or continue posting on this form. I will respond to both.
My email created for the purpose of research/appraisals is:

marklinfans (@ - at) gmail.com

Thanks,
Bill

P.S -

For your interest an R 700 ending in a short while....
http://cgi.ebay.de/Maerk...WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Karl  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2008 03:34:23(UTC)
Karl

United States   
Yes I would say eBay would give you the most exposure and sure to get you some nice loot. Condition of course comes to play here, but just a even a single part off of an engine or a car that may be needed by someone to complete that restore project really helps also.
Offline bobsr  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2008 21:44:32(UTC)
bobsr

United States   
Thanks for your comments. I did sell some at the recent MEA meet.