Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sprogger  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2008 07:43:11(UTC)
sprogger

Team
I have began my aquisition of 1 guage (for under the Xmas tree) and am wondering how to perform the equivalent function of the M track 5146, 5147, 5213 circuit tracks. When we build our carbetbhan in M track I use these to change both signals and switches allowing for the automated running of several trains. (train crosses circuit track, one signal changes to stop, switch changes, another signal moves to go and second train moves out)

Is there an equivalent method of doing this using 1 guage?

Cheers
Sprogger
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2008 07:50:55(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yep... In analogue, you use isolator track clips and wire the isolated section to the signal.. In digital, you need to get something like a Viessmann 5123, which is an s88 that senses current draw and then use this to trigger the signal change..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Online Purellum  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2008 15:46:32(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Sprogger, Xxup is more or less right.

Since you only have two tracks, you can't use one of them as signal-giver.

One method is current-detection, another is small home-made contacts triggered by the passing wheels.

I have made some; but I have'nt got the time right now to write an article.

Please be patient, I will post when I have more time.

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline sprogger  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2008 05:34:50(UTC)
sprogger

Adrian, Per
Thanks for that .. I was also wondering if the 7555 reed switch and 7556 magnet would work but thought that perhaps the high clearance between the 1 gauge train and track would make this not a viable option.

Cheers
Sprogger
Offline klytz  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2008 12:26:30(UTC)
klytz

Hi Sprogger
In your local electronics store you can buy reed switches and magnets in many different sizes. You don´t nessecerely have to use the expensive stuff from M.
Kind regards
Klaus
klytz
Offline sprogger  
#6 Posted : 18 March 2008 01:31:10(UTC)
sprogger

Klaus
Thanks for that .. will have to drop into local electronics to see what they have. I now have a new related question.

I picked up a 5613 semaphore signal cheap on Ebay (U$50) that i thought would be a good way of experimenting with blocks, signals. automation etc..

It doesnt come with the manual (of course) and appears to be missing some of the linkage ..

Does anyone have a scan of the parts information or manual for the 5613 that you can send me?. Or can you point me to an online version (my link for the marklin web site for schematics no longer works)

Cheers
Sprogger
Offline sprogger  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2008 08:51:03(UTC)
sprogger

Folks
Further to this subject .. I now have 5965/6 switches combined with 5625 motors am also adding 5611 home semaphore signals and 5612 distance signals. I have purchased several local electronic store reed switches (normally closed)which I wanted to use as the train passes overhead to activate switches and signals.

The issue is .. If I pass the magnet over the reed switch slowly by hand the points and signals activate. However if I put the magent under the train I have to combine several magents even to get any reaction from the reed switch .. If the train passes over the reed switch at any speed there is no reaction .

Obviously the combination of the strength (or lack thereof) of the supplied magnets and the distance between the underside of the train (where the magents are) and the reed switch doesnt allow this to work with any reliablity ..

I have seen that it is possible to get "wide gap" reed switches as well as much stronger "rare earth" magnets ...

Is there anyone in the community who has experience with these and am I heading in the right direction?

Yours
Sprogger
Offline dntower85  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2008 17:04:25(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sprogger
<br />Folks

I have seen that it is possible to get "wide gap" reed switches as well as much stronger "rare earth" magnets ...

Yours
Sprogger

If you have any old bad hard drives they have good strong neodymium magnets in them. and since you have gage 1 I don't think you would have to cut them to fit. If the rails were steel you could run the train upside down if you had enough magnets on the Locbiggrin

here are some that you can buy http://www.gaussboys.com/ if you don't have any old harddrives
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline sprogger  
#9 Posted : 15 August 2008 04:55:11(UTC)
sprogger

Thanks DT ..
Strangely enough I had two laptops hard drives (my kids) die within days of each other .. strange how electonics can "go out in sympathy" like that .. Unfortunately I destroyed the drives and then chucked them ..

I might give a couple fo neodymium magents a go to see how they work ...

I am also wondering of perhaps the use of reed switches and magnets is a bit "old world" and if there is a more elegant electronic solution available

Yours
Sprogger