Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bill190D  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2003 01:42:51(UTC)
Bill190D

Hi all, I was reading the other "newbie" post and it got me curious. I have the little 0-6-0 steamer that came with my starter set. If I wanted to convert to delta control, what's involved in adding a decoder? I just purchased an 0-8-0 that is Delta equipped so It's got me interested in maybe getting into Delta control. Thanks for everyones help so far! This appears to be a good bunch to be involved with. :)

Bill
New to Marklin but not the hobby. :)

Bill
Offline McLae  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2003 05:52:25(UTC)
McLae

Some Loks you can convert with a 20Euro digital decoder. Others you need a 6090X for 50-80 Euros.

Most members of this forum will tell you to ignore Delta. Just a 'cheap' version of digital that is soon to fade away (or morph into digital). The main characteristic of Delta is the limited features compated to digital, and the lower price is still too high compared to (many) non-marklin digital decoders (such as PD101 or ESU).

Hope this gives you ideas...
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline Chris Vella  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2003 08:59:21(UTC)
Chris Vella

Hi Bill all

What I suggest if you have not invested in the Delta mode of operation yet is to abandon it and go full digital. Delta Lok's do not work too good especially in starting up and slowing down and tend to be jerky.

In my opinion if you like good slow running and smothness for your lok's then digital is the way to go. The cost differance is not that big. This is only my opinion and I am not trying to knock Delta users.

Regards
Chris
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2003 09:06:38(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
All Delta equipped locos can be used on a Digital layout. Each adress in the Delta system has an equivalent in Digital, although Delta decoders can only use 15 out of 80 addresses. A digital loco can of course be set to one of the 4 addresses available from the Delta control as well.

The only reason to put a Delta decoder in a loco is that it's easier to install. You can keep the AC motor and just replace the relay with a decoder. Märklin Digital decoders and also competitors from other brands are made for DC motors, so you have to convert the motor as well. In the Märklin conversion kits all necessary parts are included for this conversion, but if you choose other brands you have to get them as spare parts.

Good to see that some people convert from DC to AC! Usually it's the other way around...
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Oscar  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2003 12:01:34(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kgsjoqvist
<br />Good to see that some people convert from DC to AC! Usually it's the other way around...
My experiences with DC are a mixed bag. Getting locos to move slowly over crossings and such can be a real hassle. The fact of the matter is that you sacrifice at least 1 axle for traction purposes, so you're in trouble with 2-axle locos (only 1 wheel takes +, 1 takes -). With AC, 1 axle (i.e. 2 wheels) takes + and the slider takes -. Much more reliable. And how about diagonal tracks [|)]? One of the major drawbacks of DC, in my humble opinion, is the electronics needed to use diagonal tracks. As for AC, well, y'know, Marklin ain't exactly cheap. And the direction relay is a curse, especially on older models. Adding it all up, I don't think I'll ever switch go back to DC again.
Offline Bill190D  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2003 13:02:34(UTC)
Bill190D

Good to see that some people convert from DC to AC! Usually it's the other way around...

I wouldn't exactly say I'm converting from DC to AC. It's more like "in addition to". I still have an HO DC layout up and I'm getting things togther to do an 00 English layout as well. But I've wanted a Marklin setup since I was a kid and first saw one done. Finally getting my chance at 44 yrs old! :)
Anyway, thanks for all the help so far! Ya'll sure have given me plenty to think about.

Bill
New to Marklin but not the hobby. :)

Bill
Offline tayloma  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2003 14:14:56(UTC)
tayloma

South Africa   
Hi Bill

Just a thought - you can use one of the local suppliers in the US to digitize your layout. Digitrax is compatible with Marklin Digital and they manufacture decoders for loco's, turnouts, signals, etc., very similar to IB.

The nice thing about this is you can use this equipment for your DC layout or your 3-rail layout, sort of two birds with one stone.biggrin
Regards

Mark
Offline McLae  
#8 Posted : 26 November 2003 22:07:52(UTC)
McLae

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Märklin Digital decoders and also competitors from other brands are made for DC motors

The PD101 is made for AC motors. (dropped right into my E63.Smile)
Check the decoder documentation <u>BEFORE</u> you buy.
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 27 November 2003 04:01:34(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Yes, PD-101 works with AC, also some Uhlenbrock (75200), that is specially useful when you have old locos in wich installing the DC digital conversions may be impossible
Bye.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL