Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Breitenfurt  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2008 23:54:12(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi All.

I have just hit a serious snag with my planned layout. I laid out the station track and completed a single circuit, so that I could actually see s train running snd do some tests. To my horror I found that the whole layout was live even though I only had one controller.

On inspection I find that the points are permanently wired to feed both tracks. How have others got round this problem? If I have to route current using relays the wiring will be horrendous. In most cases there will be an isolator a couple of rails on from the point (see http://trains.manvell.org.uk/layout/) so the blades would not be carrying current much distance.

Can one cut the straps and still get a reliable contact? Marklin seem to skirt this problem in the publications I own.

All the best,
Chris
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2008 12:12:36(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
You have been a member since:: 23/11/2007(UTC)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was also under the distinct impression that Marklin Z Scale turnouts were of the power routing type, like Peco N Scale Set Track.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline TTRExpress  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2008 22:17:20(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Chris,

I run HO scale both AC and DC. I am in agreement with Ozzman. I thought Marklin Z-scale was 2-rail DC just like TRIX N-scale or Peco or Fleischmann Piccolo. If you are operating under digital control for your locomotives you will not need to worry about isolating track sections around a station area. If you are operating in analogue mode then you will have to use isolating track sections with either relays or momentary contact switches. I can refer you to this link for wiring for TRIX HO: http://www.mein-hobby.info/trixratgeber/

The text is in German, however, you should be able to follow the wiring instructions in the diagrams.

Hope this helps you a little.
Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
Offline Breitenfurt  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2008 23:09:05(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Good evening.

'Tis true. If you look at the image of the underside of a turnout at http://trains.manvell.or.../misc/MarklinTurnout.jpg you can see the two straps on the left. Having had a good look at a turnout, this is what I found.

A The traps I referred to in my post. They also act as the continuity plate that runs down towards the frog and are bent back under the base at B.
C Spot welded connections to the fixed portion of the points.
D Permanent sliding portions to the moving parts of the blades.

So there is continuous power to the rails except at the plastic frog.

I shall have a mess around and see if the outer edges of the straps (A) can be cut away without the whole thing fall apart; but, apart from that there is nothing else one can do so it looks as if I will have to completely rework my traction supply.

Best wishes,
Chris
Offline Breitenfurt  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2008 23:13:45(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Sorry. I can only type a few letters at a time at the mo - 'traps' should be 'straps'. Looks that Z is different from all. Am on DC.

Thanks replies.

C.
Offline TTRExpress  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2008 06:42:37(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Chris,

I would not cut anything away yet under your points as the connections may be needed for the electrical impulses needed to switch the points.

Try isolation track sections in your station area.

Offline Breitenfurt  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2008 14:25:45(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi. Not much point in cutting them anyway (no pun intended) as all that cutting them would achieve can be done with two insulated fishplates. But it means that, at all places where I had intended there to be a short protected sections of track before a converging point, I will now have to have an isolated section controlled by a relay or a switch linked to the point orientation.

I notice that Marklin are very cagey about the loss of the switching facility. There is no mention of it at all in their track layouts book which, in all other respects is extremely thorough.

Best wishes to all,
Chris
Offline TTRExpress  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2008 16:27:51(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hi Chris,

Glad it is working out for you. All analogue AC and DC layouts need isolating sections especially if you are operating 2 trains. The only time you can get away without any is if you use catenary with an electric locomotive as the second train.

The only system that you did not need that was TRIX Express/TRIX Twin HO as it was originally 3-rail AC and then switched to 3-rail DC. Each rail was electrical isolated from the other so with catenary one could operate 3 trains independently of each other on one track system. If you did not have catenary you could still operate 3 trains but you needed to have isolated or block sections.

Digital control makes the wiring of a layout so much simpler and allows one the opportunity to operate multiple trains on a layout. IMHO takes away some of the fun.

Offline Breitenfurt  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2008 19:07:23(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Maurice.

I remember my uncle's Trix Twin back in the late 1940s/early 50s with those chunky Bakolite tracks. You never knew which direction the train was going to go off in!

What little I did with trains was with 2-rail DC (Triang then Peco) so having to deal with Z scale is all new. I had a quick look at the problem while I was in hospital but whatever I came up with ended up with including a lot more wiring and insulated fishplates. :o(

You can see the (pre-revision) version of the power feed configuration on my website at http://trains.manvell.org.uk/layout/ and clicking on the appropriate thumbnail.

All the best,
Chris
Offline TTRExpress  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2008 22:32:08(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. It is fun trying to keep the older locomotives on the Bakelite track but they do work well.

Glad your Z-scale layout is going as planned and the insulated fish plates are working well for you.

Offline Westfield Depot  
#11 Posted : 30 January 2008 22:58:55(UTC)
Westfield Depot

Hi Chris,

It looks like you are already on to this but... Since Marklin Z uses a two rail track system, you will have to deal with all the electrical peculiarities of two rail track. Essentially that means you will need to block your track into sections that can then have their power routed (or turned off for that matter) via a series of switches to the transformer of your choice. This is accomplished by separate power leads for each block (or isolated section). You use the insulated track joiners to establish these blocks. Watch out for reverse loops as these are a special problem in and of themselves.

Looking at your diagram, I think you are starting to work all this out. If it helps, I wouldn't think about the power routing to the frogs and points but rather about those insulated joiners that separate blocks. Typically you only need to insulate the diverging radius of a turnout. The whole turnout does not need to be isolated. That should simplify your wiring a little.

Marklin z turnouts are of a special and unique design. They are not really live or dead frog or power routing like in other scales or manufacturers. The point rails are powered by the straps on the underside you mention above. Unlike most turnouts each point rail is a separate electrical polarity(?). The little springy bits of metal along the bottom of the frog take over providing power as the wheels pass from point rails to frog so like the point rails each side of the frog is a different polarity(?). You shouldn't tamper with any of this as they are not power routing like a Peco turnout (or many others.) Instead focus on those insulated joiners where turnouts meet to establish blocks.

Hope this helps.
Chris
Chris
Modeling Märklin Epoch I K.W.St.E. in Ohio USA
Offline Breitenfurt  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2008 20:50:21(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Many thanks to all who have responded. Basically, I can either simplify my operations plan (e.g. quit the idea of loco changeovers on Track 1) or increase the complexity/density of the wiring. In the meantime I have considerably simplified the track plan around the station tracks 4 and 5, though I am not completely happy with the result. I'll post the changes as soon as I get all my files updated.

Best wishes,
Chris