Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gkar  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2008 06:44:00(UTC)
Gkar

Hi, all, I have noticed quite a few topics on digital conversions but I would like to ask a few general questions:

what does one use to convert a conventional engine to digital mode, i.e., some kits seem to have a new magnet, 5-pole motor, and decoder (in place of the E-unit)

and how about conversion of Delta to digital?

and conversion of digital to digital with sound?

What are the general prices to do a conversion, and would one use different decoders for the sound (with a speaker), i.e. are the sounds located on the decoder or is that a separate board.

I'm basically looking to convert some conventional engines I have, a couple of Deltas (preferbaly with sound) and some early digital engine s to have sound, if possible, trying to get an idea also of the cost for doing these conversion...thanks!
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2008 07:03:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Randy welcome to the forum.

Depending on your loco, you would use either the 60921, 60922 or 60923 kits to convert your loco to digital. This applies whether your loco is delta or analog. You replace the analog motor and reversing units, and you replace the motor and delta unit in delta locos.

If you want sound you would have to toss away the decoder in these sets and go buy a sound decoder - that's if you buy the current Marklin kits.

If you just buy the motor parts separately, then you can buy whatever decoder you want, say an ESU Lokpilot for a loco with basic functions, or an ESU Loksound for locos you want to have sound.

Since you are in the US you can buy ESU decoders from www.eurolokshop.com at what I think are good prices. The motor parts should be able to be supplied from a Marklin dealer, or there are sellers on ebay in Germany who sell motor kits.

Here are the motor part numbers - select whchever motor type you need.

partnumbers in 60901 - DCM
386820 anchor
389000 field magnet
386940 motor shield
516520 inductor
601460 pair of brushes
276770 lamp Socket

partnumbers in 60903 - SFCM
210888 anchor - 8 teeth
224615 field magnet
224613 motor shield
516520 inductor
601460 pair of brushes
276770 lamp Socket

partnumbers in 60904 - LFCM
either 214118 anchor - 7 teeth
or 210888 anchor - 8 teeth
210882 field magnet
214121 motor shield
516520 inductor
601460 pair of brushes
276770 lamp Socket

www.ajckids.com has the motor part prices listed on their website.

Check this site http://www.hfkern.gmxhome.de/ for the type of motor in the locomotive: SFCM, LFCM or DCM.

Bear in mind that this site is about 85% correct in its details, but there are errors. So, to double check, you could post pictures, and or details of the loco, and I'm sure forum members collectively can help you identify the motor type.
Offline intruder  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2008 17:29:18(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Welcome to the forum, Randy.

A small correction to bigdaddynz's list:
276770 lamp socket is not included in the 60901 set

In the 60904 set there are, as bigdaddynz says, two different anchors, but also two different motor shields, to fit the different locomotives. I do not know the spare part number of the other motor shield.

The 60901 has been substituted by 60921, with a different decoder.
60903 > 60923
60904 > 60924

6090x has a normal decoder, where the addresses are set by dip-switches. Max. speed and acceleration/braking delay can be adjusted with potentiometers on the decoder.

6092x has an mfx decoder. All adjustments is done remotely, from the control device you may select.

Rebuilding locomotives can be done many different ways, depending on your wishes and how much money you wish to spend. I have converted my locomotives using the different Märklin conversion sets.
The only exceptions are three NoHAB diesles, where I use motors from Märklin conversion sets and ESU mfx sound decoders. I selected the ESU decoders to get the correct sound.

If you like, there are more details on my web site.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Gkar  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2008 18:16:08(UTC)
Gkar

thanks, all! From what I see here, to upgrade from conventional one needs a decoder with a motor kit, which seems relatively affordable at $50. To get the sound effects, one needs a sound decoder at around $150, so that to bring a conventional or Delta engine up to today's standard would be around $200, correct?
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2008 18:22:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum, Gkar.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 06 January 2008 00:07:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Gkar
<br />thanks, all! From what I see here, to upgrade from conventional one needs a decoder with a motor kit, which seems relatively affordable at $50. To get the sound effects, one needs a sound decoder at around $150, so that to bring a conventional or Delta engine up to today's standard would be around $200, correct?

Well you need motor upgrade parts and a decoder. If you buy the Marklin kits you get both motor parts and a decoder, but the problem then is if you wanted sound, in which case you have to throw away the decoder that came in the kit, and buy a sound decoder - rather expensive. So, if you can buy the motor parts separately, then you can match them with whatever decoder you want - no wastage. $200 sounds about right, if you want to upgrade with sound. If you don't want sound, you can do it a bit cheaper than that.