Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline trainbuff  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2007 02:13:36(UTC)
trainbuff

Hi everyone,

I have two different locs with the same type of slider. One stalls on the 3-way switch in the left position, and the other doesn't. I switched sliders, and the stalling seems related to the slider. The loc that always passes the switch stalls with the other's slider, and the loc that stalls does better with the other's slider (only stalls in one direction now).

I laid the sliders side by side on a flat surface and I can't tell the difference. The wear patterns on the sliders seem evenly distributed along its length.

What should I do to adjust the slider so both work on the switch? Are sliders supposed to be perfectly flat or have a slight up ward bend?

The locs are a BR 80 33043, works just fine, and a BR 81 30321 which stalls.

Thanks for any advice.
Offline laalves  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2007 04:21:42(UTC)
laalves

I've had very frustating experiences with sliders, all ending with exchanging the bugger with a new one.

BUT, if you want to do things the right way, dip the offending one in celulose based thinner or equivalent overnight (be sure to remove the plastic/cardboard/bakelite bit, rubbing that with alcohol) so that all oil residue and layout grime is removed from the copper strip to slider joints. Sometimes those joints are to blame.

Then, you need to bend the slider body a bit upwards to make it slightly convex[Edit: I meant concave.....]. The instructions to do so are usually in the lok's manual.

Good luck!

Luis
Offline perz  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2007 15:25:02(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
As Luis indicates, the problem is not always between the slider and the track, it could also be between the slider and the rest of the loco. His advice seems a bit of an overkill to me though. Often it is enough to gently clean the contact surfaces and bend the metal parts that make contact between the slider and the loco a little bit to improve contact pressure.
Offline 2ndChancer  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2007 15:29:00(UTC)
2ndChancer

I have the following experience just these weekend.
In converting a Trix lok, I added a slider in one of the boggie, and short circuit occurs at turnouts. After careful observation, I found the reason...
I used a bulk head screw to install the slider, and the head of the screw prevents the slider to raise far enough to clear the tricky turnouts , so a short circuit happened. I temporary use a little glue to hold the slider and everything is fine, I just have to find a flat head screw in the coming days.

This may not be the cause for your incident, I put it down for everyones reference anyway.

I can draw pictures for illustration if anyone is interested to see.

Eric
Cool
Offline trainbuff  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2007 21:46:10(UTC)
trainbuff

Thanks for the advice. I will clean the slider connection parts carefully. Up until now I have only cleaned the bottom that touches the track. I will put the good slider on a flat surface and slide feeler gauges under it to determine its bend and maybe I can give the other slider the same profile.
Offline trainbuff  
#6 Posted : 29 August 2007 01:08:47(UTC)
trainbuff

I got one slider to work! Soaked it in alcohol and gave it a slight concave bend, just enough to let light under the middle third when held against a straight edge. No feeler gauges necessary, just got lucky on the first try. Thanks for your help.
Offline Martin T  
#7 Posted : 29 August 2007 11:40:19(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi Trainbuff!
What type of rail system are you using? There is a simple modification possible for the 3-way M-rail switch, which solves all stopping problems.

In case of M-rail, the slider of some locos simply fails to make contact with the point contacts in the rail. It's solved by soldering a piece of copper, or brass plate as the picture show.

UserPostedImage
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline trainbuff  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2007 14:16:15(UTC)
trainbuff

Hi Martin,

I have C track. I was about to blame the 3-way, but then I compared sliders. I was wondering if there was a 3-way mod, but did not find anything on it. Thanks for the picture, that may work on the C track too. That copper looks like its about where the stall occurs.