Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 2ndChancer  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2007 19:22:51(UTC)
2ndChancer

Hi all,

I was confused by the Digital handbook a bit.

It's about the Request & Release inputs of S88. Is the "Release" has to be done by level trigger? ie. eg, a contact track or current sensing.
What about Edge triggers like the pulse of a circuit track ?

Let consider a staging yard control, once a yard was occupied, the contact track will provide a level signal to the Release input. This I can understand, further triggers to the Request input will be prohibited.

Now , if I use a circuit track instead to send a pulse to the Release input,once a shoe pass through the track. Can I achieve the same purpose?

I hope I have made my question clear and sensible.

Thanks

Eric

Cool
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2007 22:27:45(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Not sure exactly where the confusion is. Think of each s88 as a switch. The state of the switch is monitored all the time. If it changes, that change is reflected in the device to which it is connected. Software can therefore tell when it goes on and when it goes off. It does not matter what makes it go on/off. What action is taken each time it goes on and or off is up to the software. If you have an Intellibox, and a PC connected to it you can download my BW Lite program (from http://bw.mixmox.com) that has a neat s88 display and you can see how each input goes on or off with audio feedback as well.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2007 23:50:00(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Well,
I share Erics confusion. I've read the instructons for the memory, and not understood. From memory, three s88 may be connected, which function as Dale says, but half of the connections of the s88 are used for request, half for release, and I don't fully understand how. It's certainly about locking established routes just in real life, but how is it done? Really doesn't matter; I like LocoNet things better, but nevertheless, always interested.

/Lars
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2007 00:11:59(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Oh! sounds like the way the software in the MEMORY works is causing the confusion. Never used the memory myself.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline graafjp  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2007 02:13:20(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hello Eric,

Is your question related with using the marklin MEMORY (6043).
I am using S88 modules with a memory in interlocking mode (i think its called)...to control my 2 shadow stations.

If so I can tell you how I programmed this so that a train entering the shadowstation always enters an unoccupied track and sends another train out of the shadow station.

Regards,
Jos
Offline 2ndChancer  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2007 02:46:21(UTC)
2ndChancer

Thanks everyone, sorry about my English(which sometimes is more confusing then the question itself)

Jos, yes, I've using S88 w Memory, and I can understand how it works in the staging yard situation. My question is however, with the nature of the Request and Release inputs. Let me rephrase it step by step...

1) A Pulse to the Request input can cause the Memory to execute a preset route. Correct ?
2)So I can thing of the Request input as an Interrupt,causing a certain routine to run. Correct ?
3) Once a Request is acknowledged by the Memory, further Request will be ignored. Until it is "Released", So it's like the Interrupt is MASKED once triggered, correct ?
4) My confusion is how that Release is done. In a typical stage yard configuration, assuming a contact track is used, then a parked lok will produce a constant level signal to the Release input(when connected) , and according to the Digital Handbook, this will prevent this particular Request-Release route to be executed. Fine so far.
And once this lok is moved away, this Request is once again open, like the interrupt is unmasked. Correct?
5) So can I think of the Release is trigger by the falling edge, as when the lok leaves the contact track, the Release input drops in signal level ?

6) If 5) is positive, then Contact track is the only option in laying the staging yard, circuit tracks won't work in this case. Circuit track can only indicate a lok has passed, NOT sure if it's still there. Right?

Sorry if I created more confusion, I am asking mainly to satisfy my desire to know how things works.

Thanks again everyone.

and Dale, you have a great site, I've learned a lot from there.

Eric

Cool
Offline graafjp  
#7 Posted : 02 May 2007 01:14:18(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hi Eric,

1) A Pulse to the Request input can cause the Memory to execute a preset route. Correct ?
Yes. I personally use a piece of contact track but a pulse should suffice.

2)So I can thing of the Request input as an Interrupt,causing a certain routine to run. Correct ?
Yes. You can also try to activate more than 1 Memory function if you connect more then 1 request input to the device that provides the pulse. I use this so that the input request for the staging yard tries to request routes A1 through A4. Only the first route that is not 'locked' by a release request via a train in the staging yard will activate. It is also importent to know that if you try to activate more than 1 route (exm. A1 through A4) then only the first one that is not blocked by a release input will be selected.

3) Once a Request is acknowledged by the Memory, further Request will be ignored. Until it is "Released", So it's like the Interrupt is MASKED once triggered, correct ?
Yes. Once a certain route is triggered it will not activate again until it is released.

4) My confusion is how that Release is done. In a typical stage yard configuration, assuming a contact track is used, then a parked lok will produce a constant level signal to the Release input(when connected) , and according to the Digital Handbook, this will prevent this particular Request-Release route to be executed. Fine so far.
And once this lok is moved away, this Request is once again open, like the interrupt is unmasked. Correct?
Yes. In my example I request routes A1 through A4. If any train in the station is holding the contact track active (connected to the corresponding release inputs these routes will not activate through the corresponding request input. As soon as the train leaves the contact track the release input trigger is removed and this route can be selected again.

5) So can I think of the Release is trigger by the falling edge, as when the lok leaves the contact track, the Release input drops in signal level ?
Not what I think. The release is activated as long as the train occupies the contract track section in the staging yard by connecting the corresponding input to track mass. But it depends on what you define as 'falling edge'.

6) If 5) is positive, then Contact track is the only option in laying the staging yard, circuit tracks won't work in this case. Circuit track can only indicate a lok has passed, NOT sure if it's still there. Right?
Yes. As you only use a circuit track the release contact is only triggered when a sleeper passes over this track. For the staging yard to function you should use contact tracks so as long a train is parked there this route into the station cannot be selected to avoid collisions.

Hopefully this clears things up a little.
Regards,
Jos
Offline 2ndChancer  
#8 Posted : 02 May 2007 05:41:38(UTC)
2ndChancer

Thank you so much Jos, things are now much clearer to me. I really appreciate your patience.

I now realise the contact track is the only option for stage yard. A circuit track can only be used for "Release" purpose if it involve just turnout switching or so.

Yet I have come up with another query. Will unfulfilled "Request" be remembered by the Memory and pend for a service ?
E.g. If a stage yard is already full, and an extra lok come and try to get into the yard, so it pass through, say , a circuit track and made a bunch of "Requests", but then all the yards are holdup by loks parked at the contact tracks. Will the incoming lok be served once a parked lok leaves the yard(and "Release" the particular contact track) ?

Do you use a circuit track or contact track for Request ? Is there any difference ?

By " Falling Edge", I was intended to mean a pulse, a change in level. Guess this now is not important.

Thank again.

Eric
Cool
Offline graafjp  
#9 Posted : 03 May 2007 00:08:47(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hi Eric,

Glad I could be of some help. It took myself a lot of experimenting before I began to grasp the logic of using the memory in 'locked' mode.

Now to your question of the 'unfilled requests"
When the staging yard is full and all contact tracks are occupied and an incoming train requests a route none is selected because all are blocked by the 'release' requests from the contact track.
Also this request will not be remembered by the memory.

So it also depends if your input-request to the staging yard is generated by a circuit track (single pulse) or a contact track.

This single pulse is not remembered once the sleeper of the train has passed the circuit track. I think this also applies to a contact track as the input is triggered when the request input is connected to the mass.
But to be sure I have to test it on my own staging yard. I will test this hopefully in a few days when I have the time and report back to you.

I only use contact track because I want to avoid multiple requests when a passenger train with interior passenger car lighting and sleepers triggers the request contact multiple times.

Hope this helps you any further in understanding how the memory works. Smile

Regards,
Jos
Offline graafjp  
#10 Posted : 03 May 2007 00:43:00(UTC)
graafjp

Netherlands   
Hi Eric,

One thing that comes into mind.

My answers to your question are based on the 'second generation' of memory models from Marklin. You can easily check which version you have when you switch on your digital devices.

Old version of memory: 'Extern' light is on
New version of memory: 'Off' light is on.
Regards,
Jos
Offline 2ndChancer  
#11 Posted : 03 May 2007 15:14:03(UTC)
2ndChancer

Thanks again Jos.
As you may see my other post "Contact Track Length", I have a very clear picture now of what's going on. I need some time and experiment with the memory to find out what it can do. I appreciate your effort very much.

On my "Memory", both Extern and Off is ON when powered up, and I've never programmed anything into it yet.

Be gone for a week, see you later.

Eric

Cool