Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dick  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2006 00:39:02(UTC)
Dick

Can anyone suggest ways to improve performance of these turnouts. I understand that they have been generally disliked. But I would like to use these in my new layout and would appreciate any hints that I can use to improve their resistance to de-railing and also for loco stumbling due to poor power transmission when the loco crosses the points.

Thanks, Dick
Offline Rydman  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2006 03:18:33(UTC)
Rydman

Dick,

I have several of these M track curved turnouts on my layout. Unfortunately the ones that are aged and worn, there is not a whole lot one can do. The parts that wear are plastic and they wear down with age. I need a picture here but I am talking about the pointed piece that outside wheel hits after passing over the moving part of turn out when train is being directed to "turn out" onto tighter radius track. There is an inner rail on turnout (that is about an inch long). I think it serves to guide the inboard side of inside wheel flanges in the right direction of turnout so outside wheels don't bang into the plastic point I describe earlier. What I have done to help is bend it toward inside of turn so as to guide the wheel into turnout better. Man, this is hard to explain in words! Hope it makes some sense.

With regard to disruption in power to pick up shoe or ski, I find not all loks have this problem. Ones that do, I slightly bend center of ski upward relative to ends so as to put a very slight arch into it. This allows ends of ski to make contact with center studs better as it passes over high points in turnout minimizing chance for discontinuity. The trick is to only bend ski enough so that lok passes over turnouts. This is what I do. Some may have a different view as to whether this is a good idea or not. I do it because I find it works.

Stew.
Rydman
ETE Member#824
ETEGL Member
MEA Member
Offline perz  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2006 04:04:09(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I use many curved M-track turnouts and I have never had any problems with them. They are however all rather new. When M-track turnouts get old, the guide rails (the "inner rail" to use Stew's words) tend to get loose and not do their job correctly. To bend them may fix the problem but in the few cases i have had a problem with it (on "straight" turnouts, that is) I have moved them back to their correct position and then glued them there with epoxy.

Bad contact, and also intermittent shorts, in M-track turnouts is often the result of too low center studs. Bending the center stud rail upwards a little (just a little!) may help. The reason why it is too low is often that the tracks have been screwed down too tightly so that the rail bed has been slightly bent. This can also make the tracks warped, which is a usual reason for M-track derailments.

I have experimented a little bit with bending the pickup shoes, but with no reliable result. Usually it solves a problem in one place but causes another problem somewhere else. After bending back and forth to fix all problems I have had to replace it with a new one to make the loco run correctly again. Maybe if you are lucky or very skilled/experienced you can get the ultimate bend that really works, but for me it didn't work.

Offline Dick  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2006 04:26:37(UTC)
Dick

Thank you Stew and Perz for you responses. I have also noted that the plastic guard rails are higher above the outer conducting metal ground rails and considerably higher than the tops of the studs that carry the hot side of the circuit. As the lok's slider goes over these, the slider may not be low enough to make contact with the studs that it is approaching. This would account for the possible benefit for changeing the shape of the slider to be lower as it approaches the metal studs in order to make good contact.

Does this make sense to you? Dick
Offline rugauger  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2006 12:18:20(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
I'd go with Perz and rather try and get the contact studs on the turnout itself raised up a bit, instead of fiddling with the loco sliders.

I have to add, however, that I have also experienced numerous derailment problems (with old worn-out ones, the only kind I have biggrin), and bending the guard rail has not always been helpful. I would be very reluctant to use them in a layout, unless they are only used in the opposite direction.
Richard