Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2024 04:01:35(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
While I wait for our studio annex to be built in a couple of years, I am keeping the H0 collection in storage to explore life in the Z world.

I have tinkered with the battery powered 81522 start set and I am about to play with FD's 81951 set that includes a controller with a plug pack. My concern is that the plug pack in the set is only rated at 150mA, which seems low. What is the output rating of the plug packs included with the European sets?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2024 06:54:40(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well. Welcome to the world of Z. I may not be totally familiar with the term plug packs.

This is the bottom of the controller from Marklin which is imported to the US. It has the electrical specifications

UserPostedImage

Your location may be different. So long as the voltage sent to the locomotive is between 0 and 10 volts, it should be ok. This controller is one of the newer analog units, the older blue controller might be slightly different, but both can safely be used. For older or new locomotives it is okay to use either one.

Hope this is the information you were looking for. Take good care.

Zme

Edited by moderator 21 April 2024 12:49:18(UTC)  | Reason: Changed image tags to display inline image.

Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2024 07:01:51(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Please ignore. ThumpUp wish I knew what I am doing.
Zme
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2024 09:20:03(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thank you Zme,

The plug pack is the thing that plugs into the controller that is in the picture in your post. Also, I am on 240 volts down here so our plug packs are completely different to your plug packs.

Even the back of your controller is different than mine.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Zme
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2024 14:57:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Zme,

The plug pack is the thing that plugs into the controller that is in the picture in your post. Also, I am on 240 volts down here so our plug packs are completely different to your plug packs.

Even the back of your controller is different than mine.

I think you are after the ratings of what Americans call a 'wall wart' that is a blob (commonly black) that plugs into the mains power then has a cable with a barrel connector to supply the appliance.

What Zme has photographed is an alternative Z gauge controller that is mains powered, and doesn't need a wall wart.

The club I attend has just been donated some Z gauge stuff, which includes a controller with a wall wart. I'll be at the club rooms on Tuesday, so will try and remember to check it out, but to me the ratings on the one you have sound about what I would expect, as the expectation of Marklin is that it would be running only one loco, with no accessory lighting or anything, I bet any points in the set will be manual ones.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2024 16:49:01(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
While I wait for our studio annex to be built in a couple of years, I am keeping the H0 collection in storage to explore life in the Z world.

I have tinkered with the battery powered 81522 start set and I am about to play with FD's 81951 set that includes a controller with a plug pack. My concern is that the plug pack in the set is only rated at 150mA, which seems low. What is the output rating of the plug packs included with the European sets?

The one that came with my 81870 set is rated at 12VA, so that's effectively 1A at the output. In that context, 150mA does seem a bit low unless it is referring to the input, in which case it's about right.

150mA will probably be adequate for a single locomotive, particularly if it's one with a 5 pole motor or more modern coreless (bell shaped armature) motor. I'd not be overly worried - whatever happens you won't damage you loco(s) and most modern power supplies have a safety current limit, so it will protect itself if you do start to draw too much. If you do hit problems (things cutting out if you drive your train too fast for too long) get yourself a 12V DC, 1A power supply and you'll be good to go.

Hope this is of help

Chris

Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 21 April 2024 18:50:58(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
For US 110V outlets the Rokuhan controller wall warts I have are rated at 12V 1A. Rokuhan says 1 of their locos requires about 100mAh to operate. I guess amps goes down as voltage goes up there are a few numbers at least.

Edited by user 21 April 2024 22:24:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 21 April 2024 22:12:35(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Now I understand Zme's confusion about plug packs.

The back of my controller looks like this one:

UserPostedImage
Photo source: http://www.zscalehobo.com as mine was too new looking to photograph properly.

They way I read this is that the voltage is supposed to be a maximum of 11v and the current through the dial part is 1.0A and the yellow/gray pins can be 1.6 amp.

Does this mean that a 12v plug pack is not appropriate. Will it damage the loco or any of the other bits like signals that I attach later?

Edited by user 22 April 2024 05:57:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 21 April 2024 22:28:14(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Now I understand Zme's confusion about plug packs.

The back of my controller looks like this one:

UserPostedImage
Photo source: http://www.zscalehobo.com as mine was too new looking to photograph properly.

They way I read this is that the voltage is supposed to be a maximum of 11v and the current through the dial part is 1.0A and the yellow/gray pins can be 1.6 amp.

Does this mean that a 12v plug pack is not appropriate. Will it damage the loco or any of the other bits like signals that I attach later?

The thing with these ratings labels is that they're there for legal/certification reasons, but don't necessarily give much insight as to their real life characteristics.

This controller has a voltage regulator circuit built into it which limits the amount of voltage that can be applied to the track to a nominal 10V and relies upon the input voltage being a couple of volts higher for the circuit to work properly. A 12V plug pack is ideal for this and indeed this is exactly what Marklin's is rated at.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by moderator 22 April 2024 05:57:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 22 April 2024 05:46:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thank you Chris.

That is the information I needed. I will wander down to the local Jaycar and get two 12V 1.0A plug packs.

Just waiting for some signals and a couple of relays to get the automation side of the layout going. Not as much fun as setting up a computer controlled H0 layout, but it will do.

Cheers
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#11 Posted : 22 April 2024 21:05:12(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Thank you Chris.

That is the information I needed. I will wander down to the local Jaycar and get two 12V 1.0A plug packs.

Just waiting for some signals and a couple of relays to get the automation side of the layout going. Not as much fun as setting up a computer controlled H0 layout, but it will do.

Cheers

I've just finished building a controller that controls two trains on the same track to stop them colliding and by gradually slowing down or speeding up as required. For an old school electronics guy, it's much more satisfying to be building this stuff from logic gates and op-amps than programming a computer to do it for me!

Cheers

Chris

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton