Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2024 17:22:58(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I have experienced in a few locomotives where the Cardan Shaft pops out. In all instances, except one, seems easy to remedy. Open the locomotive, and based on the diagram, reinsert the shaft. I have done this multiple times with the BR 150 but the shaft continues to pop out. This occurs when it's pulling a few cars and (I believe) on straight and curve tracks. Prior to popping out the loc runs fine. The shaft looks fine. When inserted, it appears to be sitting in the plastic holder attached to the motor. The shaft that pops out is the one sitting over the pick up shoe.

Appreciate any suggestions - testing options.

Regards
Harvey
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2024 17:48:51(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Harvey, I have had this happen twice on my hobby series Vectron. I didn't do anything, but I wonder if the shaft is just a bit short. I've thought about adding a tiny dab of epoxy to one end and after it dries, reinsert it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2024 20:44:36(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Harvey
The most likely causes:
- the motor is not attached to its proper location so that on one side the cardan shaft is too short and on the other side it is too long
- manufacturing error (very seldom)

To have this on ONE loco maybe but on multiple ones seem likely caused by servicing or the loco experienced shocks during shipment and handling
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Harvey  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2024 21:01:46(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
37851 BR 150 diag.png

Thanks for the advice and observations. I attached the parts diagram, hoping this allows for better description. Possibly something loosened but I think not. Part 6 (screw, 2 of them) hold down the cover over the motor (9) and there appears to be no slack. When the screws are removed, there is some movement possible front to back. When I remove the cardan shaft the part they fit into (no number assigned) easily turns on the motor and the gear. Also, when I do replace the shaft, the loc runs fine for a bit. So, I conclude there is nothing jammed in the gears.

I am going to try adding a little length to the shaft. This will take some time and experimentation.

Regards
Harvey
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2024 00:12:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I find that a bit of trix grease in the ball socket can help here. Not the best design in my opinion.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2024 02:37:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
If the 4 screws holding the pcb board over the motor are fully seated, the motor can't move. I've had to loosen them to raise the motor up to get the cardan shaft into the sockets.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2024 10:51:19(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
I am going to try adding a little length to the shaft. This will take some time and experimentation.

Hi Harvey
It is up to you BUT I don't think this is a good idea. You run a serious risk of damaging the parts.
Just loosen the motor to be able to relocate in a position where the lengthwise mechanical play is spread evenly between front and rear sides of loco.
Greasing the cardan shafts is decorative only. It will change nothing (noise, possible jumping out of the shaft.
Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 30 March 2024 16:48:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2024 13:43:52(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I had the same thing happen with a loco but it was quite a while ago and I don't remember which one it was. But I only have Era I and II steamers. My problem was that there was a small plastic clip which was supposed to hold the motor or shaft in place and one end of the clip was broken. Fortunately it was an available part and replacing it solved the problem.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline ktsolias  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2024 23:27:54(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I have solve the problem with new shafts.

Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Harvey  
#10 Posted : 03 April 2024 00:57:10(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
All, an update

Success for now.

I added small amounts of epoxy on one end of the shaft. My first attempts failed. I repeated this step. I noticed that my test runs lasted longer with each 'drop' of epoxy' that I added. This experiment lasted several days as I wanted the epoxy to thoroughly dry. My most recent try involved placing epoxy on both ends. Each time the amount was very small and so what I added to the length is likely hundredths or tenths of a millimeter. My test today involved pulling a few cars and running at various speeds up and down an incline and on curve and straight sections. Repeated this around 10 times. No failure. So, success for now.

However, I will be buying new shafts and will be inquiring if there exists a next size up.

Appreciate everyone's insights on this.

Regards
Harvey