Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline EKay  
#1 Posted : 24 March 2024 13:27:14(UTC)
EKay

Hello,

I saw some 5206 M-track for sale on ebay from someone selling all manner of M-Track. His listing had 5206 shown twice. One entry had the description: 5206 old version.

What is the significance of that? Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EKay
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2024 16:28:05(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No photos of both? I can only guess he means that the older version has a solid center rail rather than studs within the sleeper ties. Welcome to the forum. You can tell us about yourself if you so desire.
Offline EKay  
#3 Posted : 24 March 2024 16:44:28(UTC)
EKay

Thanks for the reply. No, there were no photos of the tracks. Good point regarding the solid rail. That may be what it was, difference-wise (although I would have thought they would have used different part numbers).

I've been on here for some years but trying to get back in to the hobby. Right now I'm mostly collecting parts for a future layout. The plan is for it to have a 1960's look and be Analog and yes, with the metal transformers which I'll modify a bit for greater safety.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EKay
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2024 10:20:09(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I know you haven't seen them but if they are both studs there was a subtle change in the construction of the roadbed/ballast bit at some point.

On the older type the underneath has flanges along the base on which the part number etc is printed. The later style has these flanges folded over inside the base, presumably to reduce exposed metal edges for newer safety regulations.

Blink and you'll miss it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline EKay  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2024 10:39:06(UTC)
EKay

Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I know you haven't seen them but if they are both studs there was a subtle change in the construction of the roadbed/ballast bit at some point.

On the older type the underneath has flanges along the base on which the part number etc is printed. The later style has these flanges folded over inside the base, presumably to reduce exposed metal edges for newer safety regulations.

Blink and you'll miss it.

Cheers Michael. I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. I've been gathering some used M-track from ebay and the 5206 was the most recent purchase. Right away I noticed it had the flanges folded in as you describe. First time I had seen that on any M-track. Just never occurred to me that might be the reason for the description variation or that it was done or likely done for safety reasons. Good stuff.
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2024 10:44:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I didn't know this either. My m track is all post 1990.
Offline EKay  
#7 Posted : 25 March 2024 10:49:38(UTC)
EKay

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I didn't know this either. My m track is all post 1990.

So yours has all folded flanges as it's newer track?
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 25 March 2024 12:54:20(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, and they still have "made in West Germany" printed.
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 25 March 2024 16:55:30(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I've seen a page or two that details all these changes but I cannot find it. I fear it may be on Facebook...
Offline 60904  
#10 Posted : 03 April 2024 19:25:38(UTC)

Germany   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
No photos of both? I can only guess he means that the older version has a solid center rail rather than studs within the sleeper ties. Welcome to the forum. You can tell us about yourself if you so desire.

There were never 5206 with center rails. As said before it can be the folded flanks or the underneath colour.
Greetings
Martin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 60904
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2024 00:00:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: EKay Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I saw some 5206 M-track for sale on ebay from someone selling all manner of M-Track. His listing had 5206 shown twice. One entry had the description: 5206 old version.

Hi
The old version MAY BE with underside painted in orange (because wide track) and large cut-outs for cables. It further has a visible clips to attach the center contact tongue
The neuer version (in fact there are multiple declinations of the listed features
- no underneath paint (metal silver)
- small cutouts for cables
- almost invisible crimpled contact tongues

Remember the M track started in 1956 and ended in 2000 so loads of tiny changes and later versions, when in good shape allow an almost invisible connection between two adjacent rails
Here is a webpage on M Track over the years to help you
https://drahtkupplung.de/gtbhb2427.html
Cheers
Jean

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline EKay  
#12 Posted : 04 April 2024 20:27:46(UTC)
EKay

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Hi
The old version MAY BE with underside painted in orange (because wide track) and large cut-outs for cables. It further has a visible clips to attach the center contact tongue
The neuer version (in fact there are multiple declinations of the listed features
- no underneath paint (metal silver)
- small cutouts for cables
- almost invisible crimpled contact tongues

Remember the M track started in 1956 and ended in 2000 so loads of tiny changes and later versions, when in good shape allow an almost invisible connection between two adjacent rails
Here is a webpage on M Track over the years to help you
https://drahtkupplung.de/gtbhb2427.html
Cheers
Jean

Merci Jean - very comprehensive! Smile

Offline mountainroads  
#13 Posted : 16 April 2024 04:09:30(UTC)
mountainroads

Hmmm. Interesting thread. I have a LOT of studded M-track. Some dating back to early-mid 1960's (brown undersides). Some as "new" as early 1970's (silver undersides). *ALL* of it has the rolled over bottom flanges with part numbers stamped on the bottom. I've never seen any that didn't have the rolled flanges. Just curious - when did this change go into effect?

- MR
Offline EKay  
#14 Posted : 16 April 2024 07:28:46(UTC)
EKay

Originally Posted by: mountainroads Go to Quoted Post
Hmmm. Interesting thread. I have a LOT of studded M-track. Some dating back to early-mid 1960's (brown undersides). Some as "new" as early 1970's (silver undersides). *ALL* of it has the rolled over bottom flanges with part numbers stamped on the bottom. I've never seen any that didn't have the rolled flanges. Just curious - when did this change go into effect?

- MR

I wonder if that was some type child safety modification, as mentioned by Michael4, that was first mandated in the U.S. and then was fully switched to, at some point, for all markets. Would seem crazy to continue to make two types of track depending on the market.

Trying to think of what advantages either stamping method would have over the other... Easier to package more track in a smaller box with the rolled edges?? They might "nest" together more compactly.
Offline EKay  
#15 Posted : 16 April 2024 16:16:39(UTC)
EKay

Originally Posted by: mountainroads Go to Quoted Post

- MR

I wonder if that was some type child safety modification, as mentioned by Michael4, that was first mandated in the U.S. and then was fully switched to, at some point, for all markets. Would seem crazy to continue to make two types of track depending on the market.

Trying to think of what advantages either stamping method would have over the other... Easier to package more track in a smaller box with the rolled edges?? They might "nest" together more compactly.

Maybe the track with rolled edges sat more level on surfaces such as carpeting or deformed less when screwed onto a wooden board with over-zealous screw tightening. Easier manufacturing process that saved a bit of money, perhaps??